Job Centre and Emails

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3672 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

And, we should note, that hopefully no employer would be stupid enough to even ask a candidate (at interview, not including those equal opportunity forms) whether they are gay or straight. That would be a discrimination action waiting to happen if the candidate doesn't get the job.

Employers are still pretty stupid - it would be easier to list the interviews I wasn't asked if I was planning to get pregnant, the worst actually being the DWP who asked at interview and then again at the orientation before the three month training!

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Employers are still pretty stupid - it would be easier to list the interviews I wasn't asked if I was planning to get pregnant, the worst actually being the DWP who asked at interview and then again at the orientation before the three month training!

I agree with you, I've had a load of interviews in the past where once I told them I'd just got married in the small talk part of the interview there was the natural assumption that I was a bad bet because if I got the job and all the training to do the job, pretty soon I'd be asking for maternity pay then job share then 'hey, guess what I'm not coming back, ever' lol.

On the OP question though. I used to live in SanFran before meeting my hubby. Thankfully we got over questions like this a few decades ago. Being gay/straight/trans is a matter of private choice. Why fight battles that really don't need to be fought? There's enough **** to go through finding a job without putting antagonistic barriers of your own making in the way.

It sounds to me TBH that OP is a troll. If I'm wrong then I apologise but say you must be in your late teens and looking for reasons why you don't want a job? Am I close yet? ;)

The OP is not a troll or I don't believe so . They have certainly been about a while and the no not quite so young the potential clue being in the name and the bio gay_guy86. Now who ever said that Americans were stupid (joke). Having said that the bio does sound a bit like a gaydar profile straight acting indeed what the hell is str8 acting

I think SF is a very unique case in the U.S. much of the rest of the states is not so enlightened

The odd thing is I seem to remember a lot of posts about a job in a pub by someone with a similar name

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

The OP is not a troll or I don't believe so . They have certainly been about a while and the no not quite so young the potential clue being in the name and the bio gay_guy86. Now who ever said that Americans were stupid (joke). Having said that the bio does sound a bit like a gaydar profile straight acting indeed what the hell is str8 acting

I think SF is a very unique case in the U.S. much of the rest of the states is not so enlightened

The odd thing is I seem to remember a lot of posts about a job in a pub by someone with a similar name

Come on, seriously? you don't know what straight acting is?!!

Straight acting means you happen to be gay but not camp, like some gay people act like a girl, here is 1 example: if anyone watches Coronation Street, then 1 actor/character in the show is 100% camp is Anthony Cotton who plays Sean!! can't stand him, he really annoys me. that is why I don't like camp lads/men, I want a man to be a man, the actor who plays Sean gives gays a bad name !!

I am gay for a reason and that is I love men!! not interested in girly guys.

Here is my type of guy :)

http://static.whatsontv.co.uk/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/images/2012/11/debbie3_4.jpg the actor is called Dominic Power and he played Cameron in Emmerdale, such a shame he was killed of, he is sexy lol.

Oh dear

I absolutely despair about the youth of today.

Yes of course I know what people mean by straight acting, it means they are ashamed about being gay, ashamed of being associated with camp people. Being gay is not about how you act just as being str8 isn't . It is about being who you are. If you feel you need to act in someway then that is your problem not mine.

To say you are straight acting means you are trying to hide who you are which is really odd because you scream about being gay at every other opportunity.

Flagstaff , I will admit I may be wrong on this one:wink:

Oh dear

I absolutely despair about the youth of today.

Yes of course I know what people mean by straight acting, it means they are ashamed about being gay, ashamed of being associated with camp people. Being gay is not about how you act just as being str8 isn't . It is about being who you are. If you feel you need to act in someway then that is your problem not mine.

To say you are straight acting means you are trying to hide who you are which is really odd because you scream about being gay at every other opportunity.

Flagstaff , I will admit I may be wrong on this one:wink:

Hey Fletch, I think you may have misunderstood my last post. I'm saying if the OP is sincere then he's got real issues that might explain why he can't find paid employment. Or he's just being a troll.

No one cares anymore whether you are gay or straight. But if he (I'm guessing by his name he must be a he) feels the need to bang on about it as the only way to define himself then that's clearly an issue?

There seems to be so many good people on this site giving their love, advice, time for free that it feels a shame to divert attention to a post that seems to me about a boy trying to be a screaming queen rather than an honest gay man.

Again, I apologise if I've misunderstood or called it wrong. But growing up in SF I've learned to be honest about cutting through the crap to get to the truth. xxxxx

OMG somehow we have gone from a serious (presumably) question to pictures of actors playing gay men on tv LOL

Amusing :p

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Shows how much I know, I didn't realise that he was playing a gay man, you see I am not the stereotype that watches soaps love Madonna and Judy Garland although I do have a soft spot for Bette Midlerand love star trek .

Flagstaff, I have no idea where you live or what job sector you work in but I have to say that sadly homophobia is truly alive and well even amongst the educated liberal middle classes. If you work on the factory floor, or in certain ethnic communities, or certain sections of religions, if you are of a certain age . I have worked with hateful people and people who genuinely do no give two hoots . I have been abused by email from the owner of another site and most people will know who that is . I have friends whose family would not talk to his partner or invite him to their wedding and other friends who do not talk to their families at all. To be honest I can imagine Burnley not being the most tolerant of towns, don't they have a strong BNP contingent. It is a shame when someone isn't comfortable with their sexuality, christ I have been out and in and out again and caused untold pain but at the ripe old age of 49 I am happy with who I am .

I am very passionate about peoples rights to be who they are and if that is someone who makes Liberace look butch that's fine. I have no time for people who say that this behaviour or mannerism is wrong we are who we are.

To describe someone as str8 acting just reinforces homophobia IMHO

OMG somehow we have gone from a serious (presumably) question to pictures of actors playing gay men on tv LOL

Amusing :p

Just to correct you, Cameron in Emmerdale wasn't gay, he was a serial killer, if you watch Emmerdale then you will know who Cameron was. also the actor Dominic Power who played Cameron is a straight actor.

That was just an example to show you, I like real men, not camps.

J

Isn't that a bit offensive to camp men? Are they not "real"?

Actually, look, I'm loathe to shut down another of these threads, but do you have any further comments on the actual topic?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Yes, for instance if you are going to take any of the advice, or even what your opinions are on what's been said. Otherwise it does just look at a thread started in an attempt to provoke people.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Just to correct you, Cameron in Emmerdale wasn't gay, he was a serial killer, if you watch Emmerdale then you will know who Cameron was. also the actor Dominic Power who played Cameron is a straight actor.

Camp is also still men though

Your disapproval doesn't make camp people any less real and that's a variation on the "no true Scotsman" fallacy

Isn't that a bit offensive to camp men? Are they not "real"?

Actually, look, I'm loathe to shut down another of these threads, but do you have any further comments on the actual topic?

May be for the best to lock it down

Yes, close it down is my vote too. The main question has been amply answered and the thread has wandered waaay off topic.. plus as I've never owned a tv for 11 years now I can't even comment on any soap actors (gay, camp or otherwise).

FOI response dated 23/7/2013..(which hopefully still applies)

Providing an email address or telephone number is not mandatory, therefore failure to do so is

not sanctionable.

However, a Jobseeker's Allowance claimant may be issued with a Jobseeker's Direction,

requiring them to take a reasonable, specific activity that will help them find work, e.g. getting a

telephone number or email address. The decision to issue a Jobseeker's Direction must

always take into account the claimant’s individual circumstances.

So even though you don't have to give the JC your email, they can still ask to see proof of one to make sure you're doing everything you can to get work. So they get it one way or another - unless you show them emails you've received and blank out your address.

There's been some good comments on this thread, I agree with just picking a neutral and professional-sounding email name solely for job applications, irrespective of sexuality, race, religion, etc. Don't give an employer any chance to reject your application, whether rightly or wrongly

Well if I cant afford a telephone they CANT make me get one nor do I HAVE to provide a telephone number.

As for email, they can make one up for me if they like and they can use it on their computer because like I said I am as far as DWP will ever know I will never never never be able to use a computer as I consider myself too thick to be able to do it :-)

In the absence of any response to this question, I'm going to close this thread. It's been answered to the best of CAGgers' ability.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3672 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks