• Tweets

• But I'm not mixing and matching. Sure, when researching I do check multiple avenues, but when speaking, I will open a single post. The Fb post was made in March, it is now June, time has passed, and when the suggestion was made, no further information was given on how I should progress beyond "send a letter", which has meant that I've needed to start another stream - this one, but only after taking the time to research first.
    • hes not turning you away he is simply saying that you should stick to one channel of advice. he is perfectly happy with that channel being this forum, and he will help you   all he is saying, and I agree, is that you should stick to one help channel, not mix and match 3/4
    • As long as we are clear . Do the reading and post your letter of claim in draft form as requested and we can go from there.    
    • Hold on @BankFodder, that was a bit harsh. I spoke with the EVRi complaints Facebook group to begin with, a user on that group told me to send a letter but didn't give any specifics. Here at CAG, I was looking more for specific help as I've never raised such a claim before, and wanted to be sure that my claim was correct, which is why I've researched information with the other groups too, to be sure; but you seem to have assumed that I've made some form of contact with the other groups, such that I find your comments and tone to be very unfair. And I do know a thing or two about forums, that forum users are unpaid volunteers, I happen to be a Tableau Ambassador, and so perform a very similar role helping others in an unpaid capacity  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3680 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please help!

The other day I was caught scanning something as bananas on the self-checkout when they weren't.

I was taken to the back room to see the manager,

who decided not to call the police (thank God),

but did take a copy of my driving licence

and aive me a letter banning me from any Sainsbury's in the country.

What I want to know is, will anything else happen to me?

The letter he gave me mentioned other people who may be getting in touch for some kind of claim.

Also, what will have been done to my driving licence?

Am I on some kind of register somewhere?

Will future employers be told about this?

I'm a student, and don't want my career and prospects ruined by this.

It could be you will hear from a rather odious company called RLP (Retail Loss Prevention). If you do, then let us know, but you might want to have a read round the forums to see what this company is like, what they will say.

They took a copy of your driving licence in order to confirm you were who you said you were and perhaps also to pass those details on to the above named RLP.

No, future employers will not know about this. RLP might imply that they will, but they wont.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Welcome to CAG.

I know you are worried but the lack of police involvement means that there won't be implications for future employment.

I think the Information Commissioner's Office might view the storing of your entire drivers license as unnecessary though, when they just needed to establish that your name and address were bone fide in store at the time and write that data down on a form.

Personally I am a bit fussy about my data. I would write and request them to remove it if it were me. You might not be so fussy.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for any letters from that company.

With regards to the driving license,

they said they were going to circulate my photo around all of the Sainsbury's in the country so I'd be recognised by security, but is that possible?

Obviously I won't go back to the store in question,

and probably not even the ones in the local area (there are quite a few where I live),

but if I went in to one on the other side of the country,

would they really know who I was and ask me to leave?

This may seem a bit childish, but I really don't want my parents to find out about this incident,

and I don't want to go to the supermarket at home with one of them and have to explain why I can't go in.

I am not quite sure whether they can circulate your photo in that way

IMHO, you havent actually been charged with any offence, so I would think this could possibly be a breach of DPA.

I am sure others will be able to advise of this.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I think Sainsburys use DWF not RLP, but there is little difference - there is no basis in law to pay anything that they demand of you

As for the ban - they won't circulate your photo - how good do you thing a guard's memory would have to be to remember the features of every person whose details were circulated across the country if that were the case! Just stay away from ones in your local area

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Yes, it is possible. And there may be security guards that have a photographic memory and could remember your face among the hundreds that must be circulated each and every week.

A good job the security office doesn't have every picture of every person that has wrongly scanned goods at the checkout. They would soon have to have an office bigger than the store...

(I would still probably have a pop at them under the Data Protection Act. It has a slim chance of succeeding, but my view is that they should have taken their own picture. And not scanned your driver's license).

pers i'd just keep going to them.

they don't have face recog software!

nor are allowed too.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Something to think about , when you were stopped had you already paid for the goods and left the store. If you hadn't paid for the good they would be hard pushed to prove intent. I was always taught you had to see the person leave the store so you could prove intent.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

I hadn't left the store, or finished the process.

I offered to restart the process and scan it all through properly,

but the woman on self-checkout just called security over.

What I was scanning clearly weren't bananas, so it was kind of clear my intention..

. I don't really know much about the details of law, and

the manager started telling me he'd taken someone to court for doing the same thing on an item worth a lot less...

I guess he might have been just trying to intimidate me.

And it worked.

I'm not 100% sure they have a copy of my driving license,

but the manager took it away to take down the details,

and he said he'd circulate my photo

so I assumed he had.

I'm not going to go back to that store again (to be honest, I'm only living in this area for another 6 weeks),

I just wanted to find out if I could go into another one somewhere else and not be spotted by security.

I know what I did was stupid;

I've had some issues lately that have led to me doing stupid risks

(don't worry, not going to start going in to all of my problems here!),

I just don't want this to follow me for the rest of my life.

if that's what happened and what you are going to do soon

i'd totally forget about it.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Also the good thing is, should DWF contact you, you can tell them to bugger off, as you hadnt even left the checkout. Therefore you WILL be reporting them and issuing full complaints.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

For shoplifting to be a safe conviction there are 5 points required to be satisfied. If they stopped u before payment then two points are missing.

I wont elaborate on here.

No offense committed.

No they cannot circulate your photo.

And theft is a criminal act not civil so any letters not from the police or court van be filed.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

OK, so it was fraud rather than theft. Doesnt make any difference in the long run, the police werent called and wont be. Can they circulate your details to all of their branches? Yes they can, they are registered as data handlers and processors so not liking what they have done wont make any difference to the legality of it. Will it be effective? No, they have no system that will identify you. Have you thought of using Sainsburys online and see if they dont turn up with your groceries.

Back to the other bit about DWF and RLP. They have no rights to anything as they havent suffered a loss due to your conduct and I doubt if Sainsburys did either so they cant do court for a civil claim, even if they say they can it isnt true. ignore their letters and get on with your life, shop elsewhere to avoid a to-do at your local store and dont abuse the self check outs

I agree it wasn't shoplifting.

It could have been theft (you appropriated the item [property belonging to another] by entering it onto the till, and your intent was both dishonest and to permanently deprive the owner of it). One might argue that you might have changed your mind and gone to customer services to say "oops, I rang this through wrongly" in the same way they wait for shoplifters to pass the "last point at which payment can be made".

Even if you might have evaded a theft charge :

It was also likely fraud by false representation [ss 1 and 2 of the Fraud Act 2006]

(you represented the item as something of lower cost per weight - the false representation, you knew it was false, and intended dishonesty, and you exposed another to the risk of a loss. The offence is made out at the moment of the false representation - you wouldn't have had to be seen leaving the store.

However, the police weren't called, so it is very unlikely that any prosecution / criminal case will follow.

I agree with the other posters:

a) you would only be liable to Sainsburys for their losses (and what loss have they suffered? The staff involved were already paid to be there), while

b) it is Sainsburys you would be liable to anyway, not DWF

Post back for further advice if you get a letter from them.

Lets not worry about what may have happened or could have happened , the fact of the matter is as far as I can see no crime was committed unless thinking is now a crime.

I don'tknow

I am not sure what other risks you have been taking and why but can I suggest you try to resolve them in what ever manner is best for you. Let me tell you from experience, if it's crime then the more you do the more chance of getting caught and you will eventually .

If it's something else then try to think , is it worth it...is the long term pain worth the short term thrill (again from experience) . I understand about not discussing it on here, there are some things i would never disclose on here .

Lets not worry about what may have happened or could have happened , the fact of the matter is as far as I can see no crime was committed unless thinking is now a crime.

I don'tknow

I am not sure what other risks you have been taking and why but can I suggest you try to resolve them in what ever manner is best for you. Let me tell you from experience, if it's crime then the more you do the more chance of getting caught and you will eventually .

If it's something else then try to think , is it worth it...is the long term pain worth the short term thrill (again from experience) . I understand about not discussing it on here, there are some things i would never disclose on here .

I agree that it isn't worth worrying about what could have happened, which is why I noted "However, the police weren't called, so it is very unlikely that any prosecution / criminal case will follow".

I disagree that "the fact of the matter is as far as I can see no crime was committed unless thinking is now a crime."

The OP didn't just think about a "fraud by false representation", they made such a false representation.

The fact that they made it to a machine (the self-service till) rather than to another person is specifically catered for in S2(5) of the Fraud Act 2006 : this remains a fraud by false representation.

The fact that they didn't succeed or leave the store with the items is again irrelevant (for the Fraud Act, it may be relevant regarding "Shoplifting " / Theft).

That it seems the OP is not going to be prosecuted doesn't mean that from a legal viewpoint (I'm not making any moral statement, BTW) that you can advise "not a crime" / "not liable for prosecution"

That would be poor advice for others who might come across this thread looking for advice, having done similar, but been less lucky re: prosecution when caught.

I would argue that if a charge of fraud by misrepresentation was brought as per section 5 of the act they would have to show an intention to cause a loss to the business. As nothing had been paid I think that they would have trouble doing that to the standard required in a criminal court. I know the OP says it was pretty obvious but unless someone was in the OPs head at the time they will not know.

I am not making any judgements either and obviously were anyone be arrested for such an offence then they should immediately seek legal representation even if that were to mean sitting in a cell for a couple of hours or upsetting the "nice" policeman.

The Fraud act in itself is a very complicated piece of legislation.

I would argue that if a charge of fraud by misrepresentation was brought as per section 5 of the act they would have to show an intention to cause a loss to the business. As nothing had been paid I think that they would have trouble doing that to the standard required in a criminal court. I know the OP says it was pretty obvious but unless someone was in the OPs head at the time they will not know.

I must, again, disagree.

As for "knowing what is in someone's head" : courts and juries make findings as to this all day, every day (well, at least days they are sitting!), else no one would ever be found guilty except for strict liability offences.

Intention is at S2 of the Act [s2(1)(b)], not at S5.

Also at that point it notes there can be a gain for himself OR a loss to another OR exposing another to a risk of loss : any one of the three will suffice.

S5 defines loss and gain, and doesn't deal with intent.

S5(3) : Gain can be getting what one does not have, while loss includes not getting what one might get - like the retailer not getting full purchase price of the items.

Well it is academic in this situation but one item at a till that has not been paid for would leave any ordinary person in reasonable doubt of intent. I will admit if it was a tablet computer that you were trying to scan through as a bag of flour that may be a different case .

S5 deals with what is a loss or gain so yes I am sorry I didn't correct myself there. Remember that we are still innocent until proven guilty although IMHO many legal aid lawyers would say take it on the chin and move on thus giving them their fee for minimum work