Rochdale coma woman Sheila Holt told to 'find work'

Conniff
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3735 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

An "unreserved apology" had been issued by the government to the family of a woman who was sent a letter encouraging her to find work even though she has been in a coma for two months.

Speaking in the Commons, the Minister for Disabled People Mike Penning said things had clearly "gone wrong".

Sheila Holt, from Rochdale, was invited to "intensive job-focused activity".

Rochdale MP Simon Danczuk said the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) was hounding disabled people.

Sheila Holt's case was highlighted by Mr Danczuk during a debate on the effects of welfare reform on the sick and disabled.

Mr Danczuk said: "Sheila has suffered from severe bipolar [disorder] since childhood and regularly has traumatic experiences.

"She has not been in employment since she was 16 years old.

However she was pushed into the Work Programme before Christmas and she was finding it extremely difficult."

He said members of her family repeatedly informed Seetec, a contractor carrying out work capability assessments for the DWP, that she was not well "but they continued to get harassed by those organisations".

'Threatening her'

Ms Holt's father Ken said her last job was 27 years ago and last year she was forced to go on a job-seeking course for eight days.

After each day she became more and more agitated until she "cracked" her father said, and was hospitalised following a "manic episode".

But while in hospital she suffered a heart attack on 17 December last year and is still in a coma after suffering brain damage.

He said: "If they had left her alone she would not be in this condition. They were threatening her with cuts and she needs the benefits.

"I just believe it's all wrong, you should be chasing the people who are fit, get them to work, not them that are not fit. It's outrageous."

Mr Penning said: "I apologise, unreservedly, to the family as the minister responsible.

"The family have every right to be aggrieved and I hope she makes a full recovery."

Story taken from the BBC

It is disgraceful.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

But do you think a change of government will make any difference? the bloke with the flat nose and bird poo on his head has already said he will not revert the present changes.

Oh, I don't think anyone's naive enough to think that voting Labour will solve the problem. This is a long game, sadly.

But I follow American politics (former resident, family, friends there) and just saw something incredible happen: the shear force of popular opinion torpedoed a bill in the AZ legislature to specifically legalise discrimination against homosexuals. Now it's hard to explain just how important this is, what a huge step forward this is for human rights in the USA. But the key point is that it happened because people (ordinary people) believed that they could make it happen.

If those people had just sat around with their cynical faces and said "ah, politicians are all the same, doesn't matter who you vote for, no point in participating, Bill Hicks was a genius" and so on, well, nothing would have changed.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Oh, I don't think anyone's naive enough to think that voting Labour will solve the problem. This is a long game, sadly.

But I follow American politics (former resident, family, friends there) and just saw something incredible happen: the shear force of popular opinion torpedoed a bill in the AZ legislature to specifically legalise discrimination against homosexuals. Now it's hard to explain just how important this is, what a huge step forward this is for human rights in the USA. But the key point is that it happened because people (ordinary people) believed that they could make it happen.

If those people had just sat around with their cynical faces and said "ah, politicians are all the same, doesn't matter who you vote for, no point in participating, Bill Hicks was a genius" and so on, well, nothing would have changed.

Absolutely - I think that is the main problem in this country - voter apathy ! We see it on CAG as well. Unless something directly affects a person, they just sit back and do nothing.

Then when there is something that does affect them directly they get all heated under the collar when they discover that others will not back THEM as it doesnt affect the others !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D