Falsely Advertised Discounting?

ajbrun
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3729 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I'm about to book a holiday with a company I have used many times before, and this is in fact my fourth trip with them. I do like this company, so don't wish to appear to be putting them in a bad light. Nevertheless, I believe they are not honouring their discounting system. I will explain the situation below - I am simply asking to know what my discount for the trip should be and why.

As I've mentioned, this is my fourth trip, and as such, I qualify for a customer loyalty discount (see the info below).

As a way of saying thank you, every time you book again with us we'll reward you. If you're a family we'll give you 5% off when you book again and another 5% off if you book six months early. If you're one of our adult (worldwide) customers we'll give you the following:

• 2nd trip £50 outdoor kit & clothing voucher per person if you book within 12 months of returning from your first (£25pp if the booking is under £1,100).
  • 3rd trip £50pp off your trip (£25pp if the booking is under £1,100)
  • 4th trip £100pp off your trip.

There will be two people being booked together on this trip with myself making the actual booking:

• Me (fourth time booking)
  • My girlfriend (first time booking)

My question is, how much discount off the total cost of the trip should there be in this scenario? Please consider your thoughts before reading mine below - I will post mine as an additional post for impartiality.

Many thanks, Adrian

Edited by ajbrun

My stance:

Since it says "pp", presumed to be short hand for "per person", I read the discounting rule to be "for your fourth trip, you will receive £100 discount per person off the total cost of the booking". I therefore expect £200 discount.

Their stance:

That since I could book with 18 of my friends, each giving them £100 discount that would be ridiculous and that the loyalty scheme was set up to reward repeat customers and not anyone else.

My response:

Whilst I understand who the scheme was intended for and the bad business case of honouring it for potentially so many people, it does say "pp" (per person). They're making an assumption that it will be used with their viewpoint in mind, whereas I'm attempting to read it literally.

So, my generally question is, which stance is officially correct and what should the total discount really be?

Edited by ajbrun

To play with the vagueness of the statement... 5%, assuming you haven't booked 6 months early? - this is based on the fact you and your girlfriend could be classed a family unit?!

Edited by griffzilla
Missed first words!