HSBC Won't let you have Your money on demand.

Conniff
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3613 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Mr Cotton says the staff refused to tell him how much he could have: "So I wrote out a few slips. I said, 'Can I have £5,000?' They said no. I said, 'Can I have £4,000?' They said no. And then I wrote one out for £3,000 and they said, 'OK, we'll give you that.' "

He asked if he could return later that day to withdraw another £3,000, but he was told he could not do the same thing twice in one day.

As this was not a change to the Terms and Conditions of your bank account we had no need to pre-notify customers of the change”

He wrote to complain to HSBC about the new rules and also that he had not been informed of any change.

The bank said it did not have to tell him. "As this was not a change to the Terms and Conditions of your bank account, we had no need to pre-notify customers of the change," HSBC wrote.

BBC ...

Edited by Conniff

I think a lot of banks are doing this now, arent they ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Saying he needed a letter from the other party is rubbish - he could be that other party, just go home and write a letter and sign it as his mum.

These rules mean you could dip out of a substantial 'discount-for-cash' purchase.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

:lol:

BCOBS

Banks are getting to strict with money that doesn't even belong to them. It's our money to do with as we please. If my bank refused to let me have my own money, I would be looking to file a law suit against them on the grounds of theft.

I have done this in Lloyds before, I wanted 7K and they told me that I could only draw 5K maximum per day. When I made a big scene (very loudly) in the bank stating that it was my money and I was entitled to remove it as and when I wished, they gave in. The trick is to be very loud and make sure that every other customer of the bank knows they are refusing to let you have your own money, the negative impact it portrays works wonders.

Banks are getting to strict with money that doesn't even belong to them. It's our money to do with as we please. If my bank refused to let me have my own money, I would be looking to file a law suit against them on the grounds of theft.

I have done this in Lloyds before, I wanted 7K and they told me that I could only draw 5K maximum per day. When I made a big scene (very loudly) in the bank stating that it was my money and I was entitled to remove it as and when I wished, they gave in. The trick is to be very loud and make sure that every other customer of the bank knows they are refusing to let you have your own money, the negative impact it portrays works wonders.

Yours is a rather different case. Since it is a large amount did you give the branch notice for the withdrawal and present the cashier with the required (extra) ID?

The branch doesn't have infinite stores of cash and the ID checks reduce the risk of somebody else taking your money.

I would strongly advise others not to behave as you have suggested and to instead conduct yourself as a reasonable adult should do - or you might find that the police will be called, you'll be banned from entering branches and/or your account will be closed.

You are here to give advice, not be judgemental. If you cannot do that, then I suggest you refrain saying anything at all. Sometimes it is necessary to make a fuss at the bank. I live on benefits and struggle to make ends meet. My bank charged me £40 in charges because my money from the DWP had not been paid. I had to go in and shout at them, as they are not actually allowed to take your benefits for bank charges. I had tried being nice on the phone, in writing, neither worked. It was only when I went in and made a huge fuss, that my money was returned.

Agree.

Sometimes you have to be loud to be heard.

Once I was withdrawing 5K and I had council tax bill and passport with me.

Passport had expired two weeks before.

I told them that I was not travelling, but just identifying myself.

What could have changed in 2 weeks?

Also I have a unique name, I'm the only Gxxxx Lxxxxx in uk, so no mistakes there.

In the discussion I also pulled out my work id, bank cards and first aid certificate.

They said I could only withdraw £300.

Then I started shouting, they threatened to call the police and I said that they couldn't do anything because I could not be identified (accordingly to them).

Branch manager came out and gave me the £5K immediately after taking a photocopy of my expired passport.

He wispered to the clark that an expired passport is still a form of valid id, providing the picture is a true likeness of the holder.

The fact that it's expired only prevents the holder from travelling and it's an immigration issue, not a bank issue.

He apologised profusely.

I then pushed it and asked to close my account, isa, home and car insurance and extinguish a car loan.

He took me to his office and offered me a premium account at 0 cost for 12 months.

I said no and walked off saying that they would hear from me.

I didn't do anything eventually, but I know they must have been worried for the rest of the day.

Don't give in to nonsense: it's your money, not the bank's!

If the bank knows you well, e.g. you go in often, then you should not need to produce any documentation. My bank does know me well, as I always go in with my two greyhounds, one black and one white one. They know the dogs names, and identify and call me as Miss .. S....tt. I am lucky in that Barclays no longer charge bank charges, but in the past I have found it necessary to make a huge fuss.

You are here to give advice, not be judgemental. If you cannot do that, then I suggest you refrain saying anything at all. Sometimes it is necessary to make a fuss at the bank. I live on benefits and struggle to make ends meet. My bank charged me £40 in charges because my money from the DWP had not been paid. I had to go in and shout at them, as they are not actually allowed to take your benefits for bank charges. I had tried being nice on the phone, in writing, neither worked. It was only when I went in and made a huge fuss, that my money was returned.

I did give advice. My advice was behave as an adult otherwise you might find that the approach of kicking up a fuss works against you.

Of course they can charge you. Your benefits money gets paid into your bank account.. The charges are advised and are deducted from your bank account at a later date - they are just an (avoidable) expense.

Agree.

Sometimes you have to be loud to be heard.

Once I was withdrawing 5K and I had council tax bill and passport with me.

Passport had expired two weeks before.

I told them that I was not travelling, but just identifying myself.

What could have changed in 2 weeks?

Also I have a unique name, I'm the only Gxxxx Lxxxxx in uk, so no mistakes there.

In the discussion I also pulled out my work id, bank cards and first aid certificate.

They said I could only withdraw £300.

Then I started shouting, they threatened to call the police and I said that they couldn't do anything because I could not be identified (accordingly to them).

Branch manager came out and gave me the £5K immediately after taking a photocopy of my expired passport.

He wispered to the clark that an expired passport is still a form of valid id, providing the picture is a true likeness of the holder.

The fact that it's expired only prevents the holder from travelling and it's an immigration issue, not a bank issue.

He apologised profusely.

I then pushed it and asked to close my account, isa, home and car insurance and extinguish a car loan.

He took me to his office and offered me a premium account at 0 cost for 12 months.

I said no and walked off saying that they would hear from me.

I didn't do anything eventually, but I know they must have been worried for the rest of the day.

Don't give in to nonsense: it's your money, not the bank's!

Which bank is this? I wouldn't expect any of my banks to accept an expired passport as valid ID.

I think the branch manager (wrongly) used his discretion to give you the money. If they have identification procedures I expect them to stick to them to in order to protect my money - not just overrule them because somebody kicked up a fuss and started shouting.

What you wrote was not very nice and was judgemental. Judgemental does not equate to advice.

I do not have reading comprehension issues, but apparently you have issues. By the way, the reply above was to me and I replied to it. I did not ask you for advice.

I spoke to a lawyer at CAB and they stated the bank is not allowed to take bank charges from your benefit. It is subsistent money whilst you look for work. Even the person higher up at the Job centre gave me a letter to give to the bank telling them they cannot do this, which was direct from the government.

Sadly, I have found it necessary to go into the bank and kick up a fuss. As I said before, not doing so, has got me and others nowhere. It would be nice to not have to make a fuss, but being polite and quiet does not always work. Frankly, who cares about YOUR money. This is not about YOU. I like the way you judge others and make this problem all about YOU. Please desist.

What you wrote was not very nice and was judgemental. Judgemental does not equate to advice.

It wasn't judgmental.

What you said doesn't even make sense: Even if I was being judgmental, I could still be giving advice.

What wasn't nice about my post?

I do not have reading comprehension issues, but apparently you have issues.

You are trying to tell me I have comprehension issues yet I am the one who isn't nice?

By the way, the reply above was to me and I replied to it.

Where king12345 states "agree" he expresses agreement with the message of your post. But it is just a reply to the thread a whole.

I did not ask you for advice.

And I did not specifically give you any advice.

I spoke to a lawyer at CAB and they stated the bank is not allowed to take bank charges from your benefit. It is subsistent money whilst you look for work. Even the person higher up at the Job centre gave me a letter to give to the bank telling them they cannot do this, which was direct from the government.

And what laws would this be?

Sadly, I have found it necessary to go into the bank and kick up a fuss. As I said before, not doing so, has got me and others nowhere. It would be nice to not have to make a fuss, but being polite and quiet does not always work.

Well that's your judgement call. Like I have said previously, depending on your behavior they may well call the police, have you banned from branches, close your account(s). There is a difference in shouting and being aggressive to being firm yet remaining polite.

Frankly, who cares about YOUR money. This is not about YOU. I like the way you judge others and make this problem all about YOU. Please desist.

Nice to know you have a good community spirit. Luckily not everybody takes that approach - otherwise who the hell cares about your banking issues, who cares that you are unemployed, who cares that you struggle to make ends meet.

I'm not trying to make it my problem at all. If identification procedures are flouted then it potentially affects all customers. I have never even had a problem with any of my banks anyway.

Which bank is this? I wouldn't expect any of my banks to accept an expired passport as valid ID.

I think the branch manager (wrongly) used his discretion to give you the money. If they have identification procedures I expect them to stick to them to in order to protect my money - not just overrule them because somebody kicked up a fuss and started shouting.

Expired passports are a perfectly good form of id, as long as the picture resembles the holder and especially if only expired a couple of weeks before.
The fact a passport is expired only means that you might not travel, it doesn't mean that you don't exist anymore or you cannot be identified.

Expired passports are a perfectly good form of id, as long as the picture resembles the holder and especially if only expired a couple of weeks before.

The fact a passport is expired only means that you might not travel, it doesn't mean that you don't exist anymore or you cannot be identified.

I see your point.

But as long as this is inline with your banks ID procedures - it is for them to decide what is an acceptable form of ID or not.

I see your point.

But as long as this is inline with your banks ID procedures - it is for them to decide what is an acceptable form of ID or not.

No, common sense must prevale, otherwise they could hold all OAP's money until they renew their passports.
I know at least 3 OAPs with no photo id apart from expired passport. One of them has a 20 year old passport, but it still looks like the picture.
Should the bank keep their money because of their internal procedures?
No way!
Common sense and caution ahould be applied in identifying a person.
As far as I know, a person doesn't cease to exist when their passport expires.
As I said, if the police attends, are they going to refuse to identify you because of an expired passport?
Likewise, an illegal immigrant with an expired passport could not be processed or deported and should be given full citizenship because no more identifiable.
You and the banks are having a laugh!
This is just one of the many scams to hold our money for as long as possible.
What would any judge think if someone took the bank to court for failing to release the cash?
Sorry Mr X we are not sure of who you are because your passport expired a week ago, therefore you have lost your identity and your case must be dismissed until such time you get an extension on this same passport with the same details and picture.
LoL

No, common sense must prevale, otherwise they could hold all OAP's money until they renew their passports.

I know at least 3 OAPs with no photo id apart from expired passport. One of them has a 20 year old passport, but it still looks like the picture.

Should the bank keep their money because of their internal procedures?

No way!

Common sense and caution ahould be applied in identifying a person.

As far as I know, a person doesn't cease to exist when their passport expires.

As I said, if the police attends, are they going to refuse to identify you because of an expired passport?

Likewise, an illegal immigrant with an expired passport could not be processed or deported and should be given full citizenship because no more identifiable.

You and the banks are having a laugh!

This is just one of the many scams to hold our money for as long as possible.

What would any judge think if someone took the bank to court for failing to release the cash?

Sorry Mr X we are not sure of who you are because your passport expired a week ago, therefore you have lost your identity and your case must be dismissed until such time you get an extension on this same passport with the same details and picture.

LoL

But passports aren't the only form of ID. And cash withdrawals at the counter are not the only way of obtaining your money.

Do you think they threatened to call the police because you didn't satisfy their identification procedures or something. No, it's because you couldn't compose yourself as an adult and decided to shout and thus were considered a threat.

Think about it logically. (Have you ever worked for a large corporation? It's actually about risk) Everytime somebody makes a counter withdrawal like this your ID has to be verified because if they give your money to somebody else then the bank will be liable. That's why the cashier was only prepared to give you £300.

By even having the account you have agreed to follow their identity procedures.

• 4 months later...
Yours is a rather different case. Since it is a large amount did you give the branch notice for the withdrawal and present the cashier with the required (extra) ID?

The branch doesn't have infinite stores of cash and the ID checks reduce the risk of somebody else taking your money.

I would strongly advise others not to behave as you have suggested and to instead conduct yourself as a reasonable adult should do - or you might find that the police will be called, you'll be banned from entering branches and/or your account will be closed.

I did give them 24 hours notice for the withdrawal as I figured that this gave them more than enough time to organise it. I wasn't worried about the ID checks, I knew what that was for.

If they closed my account, they would have had to give me ALL of my money back in cash since I would not have an account there any more.

OK few things I have picked up on on this thread.

1) In itself, putting bank charges on your current account while your own income is from the DWP is not illegal.

HOWEVER

There are other mechanisims to challenge this such as BCOBS :)

2) "Making a scene" is a risky strategy. The bank have a duty of care to their staff and the health and saftey of anyone else on their property. Create too much of a scene and they would be entitled to call the police. If they can justify that your a risk to their team then they can do all sorts of things such as close your account and pay you by cheque in the post or a crossed postal order (although not seen that done yet)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

OK few things I have picked up on on this thread.

1) In itself, putting bank charges on your current account while your own income is from the DWP is not illegal.

Wrong!

http://averypublicsociologist.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/claim-benefits-then-bank-charges-are.html

I was given a sheet of paper from the DWP that showed this part of the legislation when I told them that Santander were putting £35 charges on my benefits account.

They would not update their computer so the ATM showed that I had more in the account than I actually did. When I used my "pre-authorised" Maestro card to pay for something, it then went through but then I was charged £5 for an "unauthorised overdraft" and £30 for the debit card transaction that took me overdrawn. When I explained this to the DWP, they showed me the sheet of paper that detailed the law regarding charges on benefits accounts.

Social Security Administration Act 1992-Section 187

Read the comments in your own link

Anonymous said... Well, the comment is under moderation but the argument is not valid. If the issue is Financial hardship then I would suggest that whoever is suffering financial hardship uses "The Lending Code" section 9 under financial hardship. I was within the circle of the bank charges campaign under the username "natweststaffmember" and no "leclerc" and so the SSAA 1992 and the TCA 2002 argument. The wording of the first act is about assignment of monies, ie giving it to a third person by way of a charge. benefits are not assigned to any other person so the word "charge" is not in the sense of bank charges but in the sense of assigning away those benefits to a third person(that is in SSAA 1992, section 182). It is the same definition under the TCA 2002 part 45. Catriona, what you have quoted is done by many people but is actually legally unsound.

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

"The purpose of the Social Security Administration Act 1992 Section 187 and section 45 of the Tax Credits Act 2002 is to prevent people’s benefit money being at risk by it being assigned over to a third party in settlement of a debt. It is not intended to prohibit the application of bank charges. Bank charges are in the nature of an expense, and are incurred by the holder of the account; tax credits and benefits are payable in order to help customers meet their expenses, and as such it is legitimate for banks to deduct charges from the balance of an account held in that bank, whether the money paid into the account comes from tax credits, benefits or other sources, such as earnings."

That is the responce you will get from a bank if you demand charges back on the basis of that act. AT BEST you can expect the bank to give you the money back there and then however you account will still be credited with that money taking you further into debt.

HENCE

The advice is to use BCOBs to challange the bank instead highlighting unfair treatment whilst under financial hardship. THIS can get them to STOP the charges being imposed in the FIRST PLACE and preventing the debt from getting WORSE

PLUS

If you challenge the bank on BCOBs and they fail to treat you fairly you have an easy route to reclaim through the small claims court.

187Certain benefit to be inalienable

(1)Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of or charge on—

(a)benefit as defined in section 122 of the Contributions and Benefits Act;

(b)any income-related benefit; or

©child benefit,

and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bankruptcy of a beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors.

Which refers to Contributions and Benefits Act