Housing Benefit Suspended

d122y
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3777 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today, totally out of the blue. I've received a letter from the council titled: Suspension of housing benefit and council tax support

I'm currently on ESA for mental health issues and have no reason as to why they would suspend my housing benefit?

The letter reads,

I refer to your claim for housing benefit, I must inform that your claim has been suspended on **********. This is because we require a full update of your current circumstances?

My letter also includes me to return the following that apply to myself;

Proof of Earnings

Non-Dependant Income

Proof Of tax credit

Proof of employment and support allowance

Proof of all Capital

I'm really confused as to why this has landed on my door and for what possible reason? Maybe it's my illness kicking into over drive, but it's really got me worked up? Nothing has changed, I'm still the same as I was when I first claimed.

The only change I've made to my claim; getting the payments paid to me and not my land lord which was completed the week before xmas, I received a cheque.

Please help me

regards

Hard to tell. Could be a random compliance check - but I doubt it, as benefit would not normally be suspended.

More likely they have a doubt about your claim. For instance have received a tip off that you may be committing fraud or had a matching exercise with CRA's or banks come back with something questionable.

My first question for you to think about - how happy was your landlord to have the rent cease being paid directly to them? Is it possible they could be a bit upset?

Is there anyone who gets letters at your address or who could have taken credit at your address?

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

It's a housing association, who I rent from. I can't imaging them being bothered how they get rent.

I would have thought that if they suspected me of fraud or had a tip off, they would have stated that in the letter as they believe I have a change in circumstances etc?

I have credit at my address in the form of one basic credit card, Mobile phone & Internet subscription.

I live alone.

It's a housing association, who I rent from. I can't imaging them being bothered how they get rent.

I would have thought that if they suspected me of fraud or had a tip off, they would have stated that in the letter as they believe I have a change in circumstances etc?

I have credit at my address in the form of one basic credit card, Mobile phone & Internet subscription.

I live alone.

If you don't have a private landlord then that theory is out.

Maybe ask the Council why it is happening.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

They don't work weekends. I'm going to be on edge now until Monday morning.

My ESA hasn't stopped - As I received it last night :???:

I've spent all afternoon using Google and people under suspicion have had totally different letters to this?

I'm just hoping it's linked to the change over with the payments being made to me and a check to see if it's up to date?

I think I've had one of these before, but my memory is terrible I vaguely remember asking for a proof of claim letter a year or two ago.

I'm just hoping it's linked to the change over with the payments being made to me and a check to see if it's up to date?

In an attempt to put your mind at rest.

It is quite likely that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing over at the council offices. Someone may well have seen the housing benefit being paid directly to you and figured it is an undeclared "income". If you are able to, I'd suggest going to the council office on Monday with proof of what they are asking for and insist on a favourable resolution with immediate effect.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

we can understand that your worried about this and as you have said councils dont work weekends.

it can be for a number of different reasons as advised in your thread the only thing you can do is wait until Monday to phone them up and ask them to explain why they need this info it might just be a compliance check but until you phone them you will not know and we cannot tell you as we dont know ourselves we can only give you advice on the information you have provided us with as someone else has said it might only be a random compliance check

it seems to be a standard letter they have sent you i know its going to be worrying but the best thing will be to phone them Monday morning and see why they have sent it to you then we can advice you further or give you more help if you need it

Hi, my advice is to start gathering all the information they have asked for, this will help you get back the feeling that you are in control. Be proactive and get everything in order, I promise that you will start to feel calmer when you have the proof in your hands. And remember you have nothing to hide, your proof letters prove that. Good luck and phone or call first thing Monday :D

It seems as if the Housing Association informed the council that they suspect I maybe working.

I'm not....

I've been informed the suspension will be lifted today and it's back to normal.

I can't say I've enjoyed having the letter arrive on Saturday morning, rendering me totally helpless until the Monday leaving me to stew.

The lady at the council offices made a smart remark about me being up at the crack of dawn and going there as soon as they open.

I had to politely inform her how this was serious to me.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Much appreciated

If anyone comes across this thread via a google search;

I think the answer to this question is - If you have done nothing wrong, then you have nothing to worry about.

It seems as if the Housing Association informed the council that they suspect I maybe working.

I'm not....

I've been informed the suspension will be lifted today and it's back to normal.

A letter of complaint to the council raising concerns over how this matter was dealt with on the basis of spurious and unsubstantiated evidence is in order. A similar letter of complaint could be sent to the H.A. suggesting that malicious and unsubstantiated allegations made by their employees could result in adverse publicity or even more serious repercussions.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

A letter of complaint to the council raising concerns over how this matter was dealt with on the basis of spurious and unsubstantiated evidence is in order. A similar letter of complaint could be sent to the H.A. suggesting that malicious and unsubstantiated allegations made by their employees could result in adverse publicity or even more serious repercussions.

I wouldn't know where to start :???: Or what to say..