Please Help! I received a Statutory Demand tonight and don't know what to do!

GNA
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3854 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you have other creditors with more priority, then there is very little point in them making you bankrupt ?

Your mortgage provider and any secured debt will take priority. I would think school fees will come very low down the list.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I have, but only the solicitor responded.

Righto.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi, I have had a reply from the school saying they will not intervene regarding the debt or accept promises to pay and all correspondence should be addressed to the solicitors, this seems to be a reply to my emails over the weekend.. I haven't heard back from the solicitors after I sent them a reply this morning asking them to reconsider the payment plan. It seems they are keen to go through with this process, not sure it will achieve anything. Should I start to complete paperwork?

Yep, I think it might be in your interest to start to complete the paperwork. I will dig out the links to the forms for you and also ask others to look in and help with your statement.

BCOBS

I will ask what you should be doing for the best. You could speak to National Debtline - they might also be able to advise. I will put their contact information at the bottom of this post It might be worth contacting them anyway for help in completing a Common Financial Statement (Budget planner).

Here are some reasons how you can get a set aside.

The procedure to get a statutory demand set aside.

After the period of 21 day from the statutory demand being served the person issuing the statutory demand may begin the process that petitions the person’s bankruptcy.

One method of avoiding bankruptcy is to get the statutory demand set aside.

To successfully get a statutory demand set aside one or more of the following must be satisfied:-

•The amount stated on the statutory demand is disputed.

•The person issuing the statutory demand also owes money. This is called a counterclaim.

•The person issuing the statutory demand is holding security that equals or exceeds the amount owing.

•The demand was issued in error.

•The amount owing is less than £750

•Execution has been stayed on a judgement debt.

•The debtor is complying with an instalment order. This would mean the debt is not actually owed as it is being paid back.

•The creditor failed to comply with the rules and prejudiced the debtor in the process.

These are the forms that you will need to complete.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/pdfs/forms/6-4.pdf

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/pdfs/forms/6-5.pdf

Below are the contact details for National Debtline.

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/

or call National Debtline free on 0808 808 4000

Monday – Friday 9am-9pm

Saturday 9.30am-1pm

BCOBS

Whilst you confirm that you do not dispute this debt, do you know if there are any charges added that could be disputed ?

BCOBS

It has been suggested you take the following route.

Ok my approach would be to set a side the SD and offer the original payment agreement as evidence and the reasons to why it broke down and why its being offered again renewed and improved.

Attaching the Solicitors refusals.

BCOBS

Thank you, I will complete the forms tonight. Although I don't dispute the fees themselves I think the interest charged on the debt was harsh given I couldn't afford the fees at the time to add considerable interest was slightly unfair, I am sure however the interest charged is stated in their document signed when you send your children there.

Thank you, I will complete the forms tonight. Although I don't dispute the fees themselves I think the interest charged on the debt was harsh given I couldn't afford the fees at the time to add considerable interest was slightly unfair, I am sure however the interest charged is stated in their document signed when you send your children there.

Check for certainty then GNA if its not the debt is inflaited and therefore disputed which adds further to your reasons. (evidence)

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 3 weeks later...

I think you have been more than reasonable in offering what you can afford, I think that unless you find a reason to set aside or unless there is an abuse of process in the stat demand / petition, then you might need a sympathetic judge who will allow you to pay in exchange for a charge on your house. If there is a dispute (and it needs to be either substantial or potentially a 'triable' issue) then you need to highlight this. Is the interest rate incredibly high or excessive charging ?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...