Really needing advice re Landlord/Boiler

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3484 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I really need some advice at the moment as I'm struggling quite a bit here.

Firstly, my boiler broke earlier this month, and I contacted my landlord who sent out a Corgi Registered engineer to check it. The engineer told him that the heating element had blown and there was no way it'd be able to be fixed and needed replacing. I'm currently living with my partner and children, and because we're recieving Child Tax Credit he told me to contact Warm Front who would provide a boiler grant to get us a new boiler because he doesn't want to pay £1500 to get a new one.

Warm Front sent out too people who did a survey on the 12th August. They asked for my Child Tax Credit award letter, but at the time we couldn't find it. They took other forms of proof and said if there was a problem, I'd be contacted. I'd still heard nothing on the 20th, so I phoned Warm Front and they said the info I'd given them wasn't good enough and they want to see my original CTC award. I told them I still couldn't find it. I was told "Well you better just keep looking for it then won't you". After I got off the phone to them, I contacted HMRC and they agreed to send me a CTC Review 2013/14 form. In the meantime, I'd found a Provisional Child Tax Credit award from 2012/2013. I contacted them about it asking if it'd be acceptable, and the woman I spoke to said yeah that should be fine, so I drove down to Warm Front and handed it in. After she'd photocopied the form, she said she'd arrange an install date and all would be fine. Today I contacted them for an update and was told again that it's not good enough and they want the original form. I told them I can't find the form, but HMRC are sending me a review letter and i'll provide it as soon as I can. They proceeded to tell me that it wouldn't be good enough and unless I provide the original letter, they won't even acknowledge my claim.

I contacted my landlord and he just told me to keep at them and that he didn't want to pay the money to get a new one when I could get it for free. He then told me to contact the engineer that came to look at my broken boiler (who I assume my landlord knows) and see if he could have a word with Warm Front to get it pushed through.

Problem is, I've had no hot water for nearly a month now and I have children in the house. I'm getting a bit fed up and don't feel that my landlord should be putting me through all this just so he can save a few quid for his own personal needs. I'm having to take my children round to my mums house to bath/wash them which is more than an inconvenience, and neither my landlord or Warm Front seem to be bothered in the slightest.

What exactly can I do here? I'm getting pretty stressed out and depressed over the whole thing.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the long post. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Paul

I thought Warm Front stopped taking applications in January this year.

In any case, you just have to provide them with the information they've requested and then wait for them to do the work.

Your landlord shouldn't really be leaving you without hot water though - you would have a claim against him for this.

Edited by Lea_HTH

There are currently plenty of links/ads for free boiler replacements for those on qualifying benefits, on the web

Try B Gas or other energy Co's.

Whilst Hot water is a problem with young kids, you prob have a month before you need room heating

Kettle, hand basin & flannel pro temp spring to mind.

edt just come across 2 ads for free boilers on this very Forum in last 5 mins

WarmFront are as useful as a chocolate teapot, not recommend.

Why should LL not benefit? It is a Govt grant to increase energy efficiency of all housing stock.

Edited by mariner51

I did not mean to suggest it is not the LLs resp to repair, but if a Grant is available, then LL should avail himself with qualifying Ts assistance. Win Win

Background at http://www.boilergrants.info/who-qualifies.php?gclid=CL-LmPv1qLkCFUXKtAodmVgAuw

B&Q also offer a free supply & fit Grant service and include a claim form to check eligibility on their rel website (Google free boiler scheme).

Hopefully OP qualifies & did renew his Child Tax Credit claim by the July deadline, otherwise LL will have to pay for replacement boiler

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul

I agree with Raydetinu it's the landlords problem not yours.

I can understand you're trying to help & I can equally understand your landlord wanting to save a few quid. Is it perhaps a question of your landlord can't afford it or he simply wants to save money

The fact you've had no hot water for a month now & with children living at the home is awful. Your landlord has a duty of care to ensure the appliances are in safe working order

I assume you're dealing with the landlord direct & not via an agency ?

Hi

I am afraid Raydetinu is correct this is the Landlords responsibility and if you do decide to go down the route of helping him replace the boiler the only person that is actually going to benefit is the Landlord as they have got a new boiler replaced for nothing.

If you do this is the landlord going to reduce your rent and give you a new agreement stating the new rent?

You should not be left in this situation nor asked by the landlord to replace there boiler please have a good read of the link in Post#6

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 1 year later...