Left without Shower or Bath facilities by Housing association

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 238 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello I am looking for some advice,

my partner rent our property from a housing association and have been having ongoing issues with them doing a proper repair on our bath waste pipe.

When have a shower or a bath, the water comes though the kitchen ceiling as the bath waste pipe must have a leak.

They have attempted to fix this at least three times or more. They have never repaired the kitchen ceiling either but the repair did last longer the last time.

The other day, my partner shouted that there was water coming though the ceiling while I was in the shower, I phoned them straight away.

I was surprised when they said they can come out Thirty Five days later.

I phoned the emergency line three days later and was told within two hours they would be out.

They never showed up and never heard from them. I contacted them again and told them that both me and my partner are unable to have a shower or bath and even our sink goes in to the main bath pipe they said they  can come out but not until nineteen days since i reported it.

i decided to contact my local councillor as this is discussing. Sure enough, I received a phone call the next day, but unfortunately missed it. I returned the call and ask for the person to phone back, but nothing happened. 

The next day I phoned again and told the person that our councillor had contacted them, and she said I can't see anything on the system.

I told the person that my partner and I have disabilities, my partner's being physical and mine affecting my cognation, my partner's affects sanitary, so she needs very regular baths.

Also, where the water is coming though the kitchen ceiling, there is an electric extractor fan very close to it and i was worried in case that was affected. I was told, yet again, they don't have any appointments, but it would be passed on to the planning department.

I mentioned that I should go to the press, which she did not like, and  said wait until I hear from the complaints department, which can take five days.

I was lost for words and was struggling to function and think, while on the call I mentioned that I needed an electric inspection appointment changing this is a routine electrics  inspection which I don't have an issue with.

When we moved in the property it had just been rewired, so it has not been five years since the test. The way I think, I need to know why.

I mentioned I had no issues with the test. I just needed an electric inspection appointment changing and needed a little bit extra time.

I told her it was due to a hidden disability, and I am disabled, which I was told "This was not a good enough excuse" to change the date. 

I was very upset hearing that I asked to speak with her manager which she refused and when she heard that I was getting distressed she changed my appointment anyway.

I did phone back the same day to make a formal complaint regarding this statement, and it's currently under investigation. In regard to the bath issue,

I have phoned the council Environmental Health, they said if it's not privately rented they can't do anything. I have phoned citizen's advice and was told to raise a complaint. 

At the moment when the first appointment goes ahead, it will have been fifteen days and that is only because I spoke to the customer services team leader due to being told by the adviser my disability was not a good enough excuse.

I am sure that it's against Human rights, but my partner did read if you have a working sink that's not the case. The issue is the sink I am sure it goes in to the main bath waste pipe, so we may get water though the ceiling even from that.

I would appreciate any advice or guidance what to do from here, thank you for your patience 

• dx100uk changed the title to Left without Shower or Bath facilities by Housing association
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi

Sorry you have not had a response yet and that Housing Associations initial response  of being unable to come out to look at the repair for 35 days is shocking since it is water flooding your property from the bathroom affecting the property and damaging the ceiling below and what other water damage this has caused.

They have breached their own repairs policy by stating 35 days for an appointment to repair this and you should also have been informed of your 'Right to Repair' (which I bet they haven't told you)

Due to the length of time ask that Housing Association that under the Right to Repair you now require a List of their Nominated Contractors as you wish one of then to carry out this repair due to their failure to complete this repair within the required legal time limits and are in breach of their own Repair Policy

Which Housing Association?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hello thank you for your reply.

They have eventually been out on the 2nd of February to do the bath. We were not informed about Right to Repair. I have still not had a response from them apparently their customer team was going to contact me five days later regarding my complaint which I do have proof.

They are also meant to be investigating when the staff member said to me a that my disability was not a good enough excuse to change a different appointment. since then it has been discovered that I now have a physical disability which can be proven. The housing association is beleave housing.

I need to contact them as I intend to take it to the housing ombudsman. They have also not attempted to repair the hole in my ceiling.

I appreciate your help thank you

Hi

Before you decide to approach the Ombudsman you need to exhaust the Housings Complaints Procedure first which is a two stage process.

You have already started the stage one process by your initial formal complaint by phone which I assume you have still not had a proper response to yet. (please let me know if I am wrong)

Now what you want to do is you use Believe Housings own Policies against them as it is more power to you by showing them the parts of their own policies they have breached.

Now the below link from Believe Housing has a list of Policies so download the following and have a good read of them and just think of what has happened to you with this repair and as you read them think "DID THEY DO THAT" and if not mark it and you use it against them. download the following Policies:

Repairs and Maintenance Policy

Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Framework

Complaints, Compensation and Compliments Policy

WWW.BELIEVEHOUSING.CO.UK

believe housing has a range of policies and procedures, which detail how we operate and why we deliver services in the way that we do.

Dear Sir/Madam

FORMAL COMPLAINT

Water Leaking from under Bath/Shower penetrating through and damaging Kitchen ceiling 

Further to my Formal Complaint made by telephone on XX/XX/2023 I am still awaiting a formal response to this complaint that has now passed the stage one process Time Limit therefore I now require this matter to be escalated to Stage Two of the Complaint Process as per your Complaints Policy December 2022.

The above issue has been ongoing for months and has been reported more that 3 times previously with damage to the ceiling on those occasions still not actioned for repair and now having again to report the same issue again.

Due to this I require a full investigation carried out as to why your contractor has failed on numerous occasions to carry out this repair to a proper standard and therefore causing further water damage to your property which I pay rent for which pays for these repairs.

Also to leave someone that is disabled with water coming from the bathroom through the ceiling which has still not been repaired and told to wait 35 days for an appointment when it was pointed out to your advisor that I am disabled and to be informed by that advisor This was not a good enough excuse" to change the date this is discrimination and a breach of your own Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Framework which I point out the following:

Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Framework - May 2020

We do not believe that equality and diversity activity should be viewed in isolation, instead it is and integral aspect of day-to-day behaviours and working the believe way.

We will:

Ensure we work to remove any direct and indirect discrimination and the eradication of any harassment or victimisation.

(Believe failed in the above due to the actions of your advisor stating that my disability was not a good enough excuse to change to a different appointment due to being disabled was indirect discrimination by believe as I was treated as someone able bodied by that advisor even after they were made aware I was disabled)

Recognise that no two people are the same and treat everyone as an individual.

(Believe failed in the above due to the actions of your advisor stating that my disability was not a good enough excuse to change to a different appointment due to being disabled was indirect discrimination by believe as I was treated as someone able bodied by that advisor even after they were made aware I was disabled)

Regulator for Social Housing Tenant Involvement and Empowerment Standard

Demonstrate that they understand the different needs of their tenants, in relation to the equality strands and tenants with additional
support needs.

Believe is also in breach of its own Complaints Policy as to date I am still awaiting a response to my Formal Complaint made by telephone.

I look forward to your reply

Please feel free to amend the above to suit your needs

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

• 6 months later...

Hi

Any further update on this?

Hello stu007

Thank you for all of your help unfortunately, I am really struggling even more due to disability it has got a lot worse. we still have a hole in kitchen ceiling but leak is ok. I did phone up the housing company as I wanted to know what was happening with regards to the above. I was told nothing would happen with my complaint about discrimination and I would not be contacted back even though, I spoke to the manager which was very good. I do have the phone call with the manager somewhere recorded due to my memory for my own use. I also have phoned them four times as I wanted help with how much rent I had to pay.

I did receive one phone call that I missed and phoned them another two times at least but sill they have not contacted me. Eventually. I did get someone to kind of help me. I also asked about another complaint that I put in years ago where our property was not given new fences like all of the rest which they have not looked in to. I also recently sent them a basic letter to data protection as they were keep sending sms messages but had no response to that. I will try and get my partner to look in to this as the way I am every thing takes me a very long time to do. I don’t know how this company gets away with this I am awaiting further help I may have to go to the main mp 

Hi

You have made that Formal Complaint so again title a letter Formal Complaint and refer to that previous Complaint letter I done for you in post#4 here and you are still awaiting a written response and will only accept a written response.

Also in that letter ask them for a copy of the following:

Complaints Policy not the leaflet.

Equality and Diversity Policy not the leaflet.

Right to Repair Policy not the leaflet.

Repairs Policy not the leaflet.

List of your Alternate Repairs Contractors.

If you are unable to provide any of the above then I require full written clarification as to your reason for failing to supplying these.