Lettings agent trying to get £300 for advertising fees

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3906 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm new to this so I hope all who reads understands my situation!

I'm currently privately letting via an estate agents. I decided in July to end my tenancy early (end of contract is December) to move out of the property on the 8th September (paid last months rent up to the 8th) now my problem isn't that the landlord is refusing I leave he is fine with us ending early.

But when I went into the office of the lettings agents I was told that I had to pay £250 plus vat this is for readvertising fees and also I have to pay up to the new tenant moves in ( the last part I understand is pretty much the norm when ending early) my problem is the first part, the £300 for their so called re advertising, my landlord is turning my flat into a council place, so no longer with the letting agents although I'm ringing the agents daily to find out any more news even though this is technically not their responsibility anymore,

well that's my thought anyway but I've never lived in a council property so I don't understand their procedures, but I'm worrying about this £300 as there has been no advertising except they put old pictures they had on file back on their website,

I've had no viewings etc. to me this amount should be ' void' but I'm worrying as they won't give me my deposit until the next move in, and even said they will take the £300 out of my deposit which I refused! I am leaving by the 8th September but they have me in a tight spot as they have my £600 deposit at their disposal and I do not want to loose my house and be technically homeless if I have to pay this amount and pay up to the new people move in!

Thank you in advance

Edited by citizenB

Whilst you are waiting on advice from other caggers, it might be worth having a word with Shelter they have a dedicated department to help with issues such as these.

Ring 0808 800 4444 - Free helpline

8am-8pm Monday-Friday

8am-5pm Saturday-Sunday

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/how_we_can_help/housing_advice_helpline

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

What agreement have you got with the LL about leaving early? anything in writing about the rent he is losing or deposit.

Legally you would be liable for the rent until the end of the contract and you would lose your deposit to cover a part that.

However if you say he is now letting through the council ( have you proof of that ) then he cant get paid twice, so you would only be liable until it is re-let.

The LA cannot charge you any thing only the LL can do that.