Left UK with debt and move to Asia

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2793 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

And other point having read their old thread they posted under a different user name. These debts go back to 2011 when they left the UK.

If there have been no payments made since 2011, these debts will be statute barred sometime in 2017 and therefore stop being enforceable in court if defended. If the OP advises creditors that they have been resident in Asia since 2011, i don't think they will get around to pursuing, As long as they don't admit to owing the debt or making any payment.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

thanks UB I forget that

the threads are now merged here

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for your help. All of you!

Even I have no intention of going back,

chasing by the debt's a nightmare (sometimes..)

If they are not adding a ridiculous amount as interest or service charge,

I will pay what they are asking for now.

As someone replied - what if they find my current address now.

I don't want this happen..

But now,

hope they could give me few months extra so I have enough time to ''save'' some money for them. :)

why?

what can they actually do to you?

what are you scared of if 'they' find you.

...puzzled...

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

why?

what can they actually do to you?

what are you scared of if 'they' find you.

...puzzled...

dx

In UK, they will only spam calling, mailing, emailing etc. Here... not only my life will be threatened. My parents or anyone around me will be as well.

In UK, they will only spam calling, mailing, emailing etc. Here... not only my life will be threatened. My parents or anyone around me will be as well.

That only happens with debts you incurred in Asia. UK debts are not sold on to debt companies in Asia. UK Bank and Debt Collection Agencies work to UK standards. They are not allowed to farm out to any Debt collectors in Asia who might employ local standards which are not legal in the UK.

If you don't pay a UK debt, they will just chase you with standard letters and emails saying they might take this or that action. Some Banks do use DCA's that offer services of collecting debts worldwide, but they don't use any Asian companies who employ the bad practices you are thinking of.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

That only happens with debts you incurred in Asia. UK debts are not sold on to debt companies in Asia. UK Bank and Debt Collection Agencies work to UK standards. They are not allowed to farm out to any Debt collectors in Asia who might employ local standards which are not legal in the UK.

If you don't pay a UK debt, they will just chase you with standard letters and emails saying they might take this or that action. Some Banks do use DCA's that offer services of collecting debts worldwide, but they don't use any Asian companies who employ the bad practices you are thinking of.

Really?

My only worries is if the bank still looking for my current address.

I have a thought today - don't know if it's correct.

Since the bank sold the debt to DCA

(I guessed the debt has been passed on on quite a lot DCA. On the latest DCA letter,

it didn't say it's from HSBC but it's appointed by another DCA),

does that mean HSBC give up looking for me directly then?

Really? My only worries is if the bank still looking for my current address. I have a thought today - don't know if it's correct. Since the bank sold the debt to DCA (I guessed the debt has been passed on on quite a lot DCA. On the latest DCA letter, it didn't say it's from HSBC but it's appointed by another DCA), does that mean HSBC give up looking for me directly then?

Yes really. UK debts arranged under UK law come with UK standards.

UK Banks sell or assign debts onto DCA's that comply to UK standards. If this debt is now 5 years old, it is possible HSBC have sold the debt and are no longer interested in you.

If a DCA is looking for you at your Sisters address, perhaps the way forward is for your Sister to confirm in writing that they have made a mistake. She provides her full name so they can see they have traced the wrong person. She also tells them that her Brother who had an account with HSBC moved back to Asia in 2011 and she does not have a current contact address, if it is her Brother they are looking for.

Yes really. UK debts arranged under UK law come with UK standards.

UK Banks sell or assign debts onto DCA's that comply to UK standards. If this debt is now 5 years old, it is possible HSBC have sold the debt and are no longer interested in you.

If a DCA is looking for you at your Sisters address, perhaps the way forward is for your Sister to confirm in writing that they have made a mistake. She provides her full name so they can see they have traced the wrong person. She also tells them that her Brother who had an account with HSBC moved back to Asia in 2011 and she does not have a current contact address, if it is her Brother they are looking for.

Ah I see. I told her to reply with record mail yesterday. Hopefully, they will stop sending her letters.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Wanna catch up with my situation :)

After sending out the 1st reply, they sent 3 more afterwards.

I asked my sister to send 1 last record mail with a big 'FINAL NOTICE'.

Well, it works because they replied with a different letter yesterday.

They are now requesting my sister's DOB, last resident address with in/out date and the passport.

Should we give these important personal information to them please?

Will they revise the record of the debt by using those information please?

Thanks in advance.

what part of totally ignore powerlrss DCA's are you not understanding?

a DCA is not a BAILIFF

and has

NO LEGAL POWERS WHATSOEVER.

Ignore

then when you've don't that

ignore them again.

dx

and they

all and bugger they can do to her or anyone

you should never have replied to them in the first place

simply invites letter tennis.

dx

and they

Ah ok. I only worry cause they are bothering my sister instead of me. Thanks for your reply.

Agree with dx. However, if no response they will continue to hassle your Sister believing you are at the address. They might issue a court claim in your name to her address. Of course, if you are not at the address, then your Sister advises you of the court claim and you dispute that the court has jurisdiction, as you are not a UK resident.

If it were me, to save a relative being bothered by this, i would write from the Asian country where i was based and advise the debt company of my address, providing a copy of some official document stating my Asian address. I don't see why your Sister should be expected to reply again and certainly not with a copy of her Passport photo page.