unfair wear and tear

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4016 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys

In November I bought a 55 plate Skoda Fabia with new MOT. Last week I put it in for a full service and discovered the brakes were shot. I needed new pads, discs, shoes and cylinders. I realise all these things fail subject to wear and tear but since I purchased the car I have only done 4800 miles.

Simple question: Is this fair wear and tear or should the dealer have known about these faults when I bought the car. If so do I have a claim under SOGA?

Just because it had a new MOT means it was roadworthy at the time of the test. The brakes may have been just on the borderline but still within limits. Your 4800 miles may well have been enough to take them to the condition they are in now.

Brake discs are not as hard wearing as they used to be due to pads not now having asbestos in them. The discs have to be softer to give the same braking level.

Sorry, but I don't think you have a case against the seller.

brakes are not covered in any warranty / soga anyhow

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Brake wear can vary dramatically, and there are many factors that impact it. I, for example, use my gears to slow down, particularly from high speed. I drive a diesel, so I can slow down from Motorway speeds quite quickly without using the brakes much.

Lots of short and/or stop/start journies probably also increase brake wear.

You didn't say how many miles the car had done before you got the car, but as johnjordan said, the brakes may have been borderline when the MOT was taken. Did you see the MOT Paperwork? Perhaps there was an advisory for brakes?

Jeremy

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

I, for example, use my gears to slow down, particularly from high speed. I drive a diesel, so I can slow down from Motorway speeds quite quickly without using the brakes much.

Jeremy

That's how we are taught, but the consensus now is that it is cheaper to replace brakes than clutches

That's how we are taught, but the consensus now is that it is cheaper to replace brakes than clutches

I've heard that too. Does it apply to an auto with a manual mode that actually drops cogs when you brake itself?

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

The parts themselves haven't changed a lot, but with the majority of cars having transverse engine bays, plus all the additional 'less than useful' stuff that surrounds the engine in order to make it compliant with whatever rubbish legislation is about, the labour charge for changing a clutch has gone through the roof.