Business rates reliefs for community interest companies

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4012 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello and straight away thank you to anyone who will be willing to help!!!

As most of cases here, it is very personally important issue for me:

I opened a Gallery and Boutique a year ago in Lewisham. I am a platform for the local Artists to display and sell their works and I organize art workshops for the local Community as well. My idea was always to give back to the community which took me on board 8 years ago when I came to live in this country. I wanted to act and contribute to the community, that's why I decided to become a CIC.

I took 15 years lease not knowing the truth about the business rates as the landlord chosen not to share the knowledge with me. When I acknowledged the amount of the business rates I have to pay I started my battle to get any small business business rates relief. Even though I am a CIC and they are always qualifying for small business business rates relief in most councils - they do not here. I've been fighting with my Guardian Angel Business Advison not to die down for 10 months now. I pay £1250 rent monthly plus almost the same amount in business rates which is outrageous for me. I'm a small, locally orientated business and if I were to pay those business rates, I will just have to close in no time. I had the gallery re-evaluated - didn't help. Now we wrote a petition and collecting signatures to take t to the council at the end of May. Is there any other way I could fight? My Gallery is my baby, everyone loves it so much, customers come here to rest and to have a chat and a cup of tea, this sort of place we are.

Please help. I believe there is many people much smarter then I am business - rates - wise and someone will be able to help. Thank you so much for reading.

Just to give you a better idea what I am fighting for, below I pasted my petition:

PETITION

Save Our Community Businesses

Wethe undersigned strongly believe that Lewisham Council should reconsider itsposition regarding Discretionary Rates Relief in respect of Community Groupsand Community Interest Companies.

Weare particularly concerned regarding the current level of rates that aredemanded from our community assets and which make them unsustainable. We areparticularly aggrieved with the current situation regarding the new communitybased business, Doopo Doopo, located at 15 Dartmouth Road, SE233HN.

Webelieve that assets within the Borough that are social businesses and clearlysupporting the local community should receive discretionary relief on the samebasis as neighbouring boroughs and trust that you will reconsider this decisionand re-evaluate the current charges.

Thispetition is supported by:

FORESTHILL SOCIETY

And

SHOPREVOLUTION:

deliveringPOP-UP SHOPS for SEE3

:welcome: to CAG

Have you applied to council at all for Business Rate Reduction or Relief?

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group