If i get a new contract through a 3rd party, i can't keep my number?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4062 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just been 'advised' by a T Mobile sales person that if I get another contract, for T Mobile but from a 3rd party, ie carphonewarehouse, that i cannot keep my existing number.

The only info I can find on this is that you can keep your number if you change providers, but I'm keeping the provider, I'm changing the company I get the contract from.

I don't believe this, am I right in thinking this isn't true?

Edited by baptiste

If you are getting an upgrade then, yes, you keep your number. Doesn't matter if you get the upgrade directly from the network or from a third party dealer.

Is it an upgrade that you are intending to get? (i.e. are you approaching the end of your current minimum term commitment?)

Thank you.

Yes it is an upgrade, my contract actually ended a month ago.

I talked to a rep using T-Mobile live chat on their website, he insisted that there was no way I could keep my number; "I've been selling phones for 10 years and I can assure you, you cannot keep your number".

A second rep said similar, they both seemed quite happy to lie about it, the second one seemed to cave in a bit after a bit more questioning.

Unfortunately, I can only get a signal from T-Mobile where I live.

There is no 'porting' of your number as such, if you stay with the same network. (porting is when you take your number from one network to another).

So, if you are outside of your minimum term and wanting to upgrade (i.e. agree to a new minimum term in exchange for a new phone and maybe a amended tariff) then your choice is to do this with T-Mobile directly (over the phone, on the website or in their shop) or through a 3rd party dealership (e.g. Carphone Warehouse, Phones 4 U, etc.). The choice is yours. That's what an upgrade is, keeping your number/account and agreeing a new minimmum term in return for a benefit to you (i.e. a new phone).

There's no keeping on at them needed. If you see the deal you want for a T-Mobile upgrade with a 3rd party dealership then go ahead with the dealership, they will sort it out for you.

• Confused 1

Virgin are a "virtual" network operator who "piggyback" on EE's network, so if you have T-mobile coverage, you have Virgin coverage.

If you are being offered a massively better deal for a "new contract" why not port out your number to Virgin PAYG (or 1 month SIM only) then port it back in to T-mobile.

It is a port rather than an upgrade, as each port is to a different network, but you still stick with networks that give you signal via T-mobile's masts

• Confused 1

Thank you all, that's really useful info, I looked at virgin's coverage but thought that I couildn't really take the chance, as I work from home most of the time.

I know exactly where I stand now, and I'm empowered by the knowledge that I can chose another provider, this has turned out better than I thought.