Currys faulty TV purchased 18mnths ago - have to pay a £90 'bond'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4062 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Bought an LG TV from Currys 18mnths ago and it's not turning on. There is clearly power going to the unit as the 'standby' light is on but the screen is not showing anything at all and there is no sound etc.

Tried different power cables, Googled for any key combinations to 'reset' the TV but still no joy.

Wrote to Currys providing copies of receipts / proof of purchase and they have said that if we take the TV to store and pay a £90 'bond' they will send the TV off for testing.

If there is a fault with the TV, Currys will refund the 'bond' and replace or repair the TV but if there is no fault found then we will have to pay another £90 (total £180) and they will return the TV.

This sounds odd to me. Can anyone advise if this is correct please? We have not taken the TV in yet.

Twitter - @memgrubb

--

If my post helped - please click the star icon below.

Hi,

Bought an LG TV from Currys 18mnths ago and it's not turning on. There is clearly power going to the unit as the 'standby' light is on but the screen is not showing anything at all and there is no sound etc.

Tried different power cables, Googled for any key combinations to 'reset' the TV but still no joy.

Wrote to Currys providing copies of receipts / proof of purchase and they have said that if we take the TV to store and pay a £90 'bond' they will send the TV off for testing.

If there is a fault with the TV, Currys will refund the 'bond' and replace or repair the TV but if there is no fault found then we will have to pay another £90 (total £180) and they will return the TV.

This sounds odd to me. Can anyone advise if this is correct please? We have not taken the TV in yet.

Basically offering to do a soga report to find out what has caused the fault. You can either get them to do it, or get someone that you choose to inspect the tv to find the fault. Providing its not down to acc dam and is a manufacturing fault you'll get your money back and a repair etc.

Have you unplugged the tv and left it for a while, which will replicate what it will be like when you send it to them, I can't see it being no fault found if this is the case. I you haven't done it I'd suggest doing just that, unplug completely and leave it for a while then plug it back in, using the tvs controls.

I assume you've ruled out the remote?

Yes, tried the remote and have been using the buttons on the TV - still the same result. It has been unplugged for several days now so I will check again before I take it down and report back. Thanks for the help.

Twitter - @memgrubb

--

£90 assessment fee, if fault because of maufacturer then they will attempt a fix if no fix then dep credit.

if fault down to ussage, then no refund of £90 ,"not another £90". dont know where you got that from.

So do you get the £90 'assessment fee' back then?

EDIT: I was told it would be another £90 if fault was found to be caused by reasons other than manufacturing defect. Either I've misheard, been told incorrectly or it has not been explained clearly enough.

Twitter - @memgrubb

--

hi, whoever told you, told you incorrect or missheard.

basically £90 assesment fee, tv goes in to their repair lab. then they confirm fault.

if fault is manufacturer- then they will fix, if no fix the a 'solution' PLUS refund.

if fault is ussage and none manufacturer, then no refund + a cost for repair, if you refuse then tv returned unrepaired