Birds of a feather ................. offer of support

impecunious
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4093 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a thought. Being "unemployed", on JSA and having to navigate the benefits system and DWP etc alone, could be a nightmare for some people - if not all of us at one time or another!!

I'd be more than happy to arrange informal but regular get-togethers for people living in Chester where we can share information and experiences, offer practical support and advice. The more heads, the better really. Being unemployed doesn't mean we're on the scrap heap. I'm certainly not.

I've recently discovered "Approved Foods" .... perhaps putting together bulk orders, therefore reducing delivery costs, etc could help lots of families to eek out their weekly benefits.

I'm also really handy when it comes to recycling and upcycling stuff, hand-making gifts, cards, home cooking, baking, altering and mending clothes to save money. Incredibly practical .. child of the 50s, who crafted through the whole of the 60s and is still doing it now! (It's now my self-employment.)

I also have a Hons Degree in English and a zillion years experience being a PA/Secretary, Property Developer, Interior Designer, Charity fundraiser and yawn, yawn, yawn ..... experienced old bird!

It's just a fledging idea but I would really like to offer my support to anyone in the area who feels they could benefit from a listening ear, a cup of tea and a natter.

I'd love to hear your views.

Impecunious! :-D

Might have to if my claim for Housing Benefit isn't processed in the next week or two!! They've been on the case since 9th December 2012.

Is Durham ready for posh old birds?? :-)

Impecunious! :-)

Wishing you were near to me ....I live in Birds of a feather country lol.......Essex. For anyone who recalls the tv programme.

Remember it well --- caught snatches of Birds of a Feather in between crocheting and knitting! :O) Always made me laugh!

It's not fun going through all of this is it but we do have CAG. I'm lucky that I can talk to my family and friends about being on benefits - I have no shame! TBH, I've worked for over 43 years, brought up four wonderful, well-balanced, happy, ambitious and successful children single-handedly and this temporary break is really welcome. Shhhh! Don't tell DWP that! I feel as if I'm practising for my retirement.

Being practical and "thinking outside the box" helps so much -- it's far too easy with everything being thrown at us, to descend into total despair and frustration. I nod and smile a lot at DWP but am stubborn and will stand up for myself (oh so politely) -- so lots of reading and researching and planning before each visit. I've been a CAG member for years and read posts avidly .. have learnt so very much from everyone-else's experiences and each time I find myself facing a new "issue", I just look it up and take on board all the great advice that's given. It is very empowering.

I love being creative, making stuff and recycling old stuff --- love bringing things back to life again ... (except for the ex) and I'm sure I can pass on lots of incredibly practical skills and stuff that will not only save money but will empower people. I've been working as a trustfundraiser in a national charity for the last five years, so used to submitting compelling, emotive applications for funding and would be happy to help people with putting together letters, planning strategies etc. I didn't go to Uni til I was 45 -- had to keep up with the kids when they went - so know that age - whatever the number - is no limitation to learning and being challenged.

Even on benefits, I think you can still manage a "quality" of life and have dignity .... and with so few good job opportunities available - and with the economy being so rubbish, there's going to be so many people claiming benefits --- at the moment, that number is 5.9M, according to "Saints and Scroungers" on BBC1 (obviously not all on JSA) - we can't all be condemned to becoming an "underclass". We're worth much more than that.

I'm more than happy volunteering for disabled children's charities and supporting them in their fundraising and funder relationship building until I find paid employment. And, I make sure I "earn" the £5 pw that I'm allowed to making and selling small pieces of craftwork whilst claiming JSA. Every little helps. With any luck, the crafting will take off and I tell DWP where to stick their JSA!!!!

In the meantime, happy to share with anyone that needs help.

I have been looking for a craft class, free or cheap, but nothing local of any real interest. I have inherited a sewing machine and would love to make all kinds of things. Handmade gifts and cards especially, for my family, would be lovely. I admire you.

I have been looking for a craft class, free or cheap, but nothing local of any real interest. I have inherited a sewing machine and would love to make all kinds of things. Handmade gifts and cards especially, for my family, would be lovely. I admire you.

Although I have a website for my craftwork, I obviously can't advertise it on here.

I'd be happy to share some simple gift ideas with you. How confident are you using a sewing machine?

Just a thought. Being "unemployed", on JSA and having to navigate the benefits system and DWP etc alone, could be a nightmare for some people - if not all of us at one time or another!!

I'd be more than happy to arrange informal but regular get-togethers for people living in Chester where we can share information and experiences, offer practical support and advice. The more heads, the better really. Being unemployed doesn't mean we're on the scrap heap. I'm certainly not.

I've recently discovered "Approved Foods" .... perhaps putting together bulk orders, therefore reducing delivery costs, etc could help lots of families to eek out their weekly benefits.

I'm also really handy when it comes to recycling and upcycling stuff, hand-making gifts, cards, home cooking, baking, altering and mending clothes to save money. Incredibly practical .. child of the 50s, who crafted through the whole of the 60s and is still doing it now! (It's now my self-employment.)

I also have a Hons Degree in English and a zillion years experience being a PA/Secretary, Property Developer, Interior Designer, Charity fundraiser and yawn, yawn, yawn ..... experienced old bird!

It's just a fledging idea but I would really like to offer my support to anyone in the area who feels they could benefit from a listening ear, a cup of tea and a natter.

I'd love to hear your views.

Impecunious! :-D

What a good idea and good luck.

well I have only just got the sewing machine so am a beginner...but keen to master it. trying to imagine what that site would be called lol

well I have only just got the sewing machine so am a beginner...but keen to master it. trying to imagine what that site would be called lol

My MIL bought me a sewing machine, and I'd love to use it - I have an idea to cut up old clothes and make a patchwork skirt. I have these ideas - they rarely go anywhere. Actually, I'm really impressed with myself at the moment for taking my husband's broken jeans zip, and replacing it with buttons - that's about the limit to my ability. I'd also like to crochet myself some jumpers - I've got as far as a couple of test squares to assure myself I still do remember how to do basic crochet (not having done it for about 30 years!).

I envy anyone who is good at crafts

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

First step to sewing is to find some scrap pieces of fabric, thread up the machine (even if you have to follow step-by-step instructions from manual - it's easy) and practise, practice, practise until you feel comfortable sewing straight lines. :-) After that, sewing together a patchwork of fabric to make a skirt is simple. You just have to start somewhere, so well done for attempting to repair your husband's jeans -- denim isn't the easiest fabric to work with, especially with zips.

I bought my 2nd daughter a sewing machine, fabric, patterns, etc all in a huge hamper for her 30th Birthday and she loved it ....... she sews pictures, cards, fabric, "stuffies" - for storing old carrier bags in , pockets, anything she can get her hands on. I've also taught her to crochet - and she's making a friend a blanket as a gift for her baby shower.

I'm never far from my basket of fabric and yarn. My mother taught me to knit when I was four, started sewing when I was six and had made my first long nightie by the time I was 8. Oh happy days! (And we had great needlework and embroidery classes at school too.)

Perhaps I should think about setting up some basic sewing/craft classes. :-) Stich and Bitch for sewing, and Happy Hookers for crochet :-) I know so many people who would love to learn and people love receiving hand-made stuff.

Dust off that sewing machine and get cracking - would love to hear how you get on!

Crochet is the thing I would love to do..am sure I saw a dvd with intructions, I must try and find it online. The website is beautiful.

If you like crochet - check out Attic 24 online - it's a pretty good read ... and shows very colourful but quite simple designs. YouTube videos will have everything you need to get started if you need visuals.

Good luck!!! Let me know how you get on.

First step to sewing is to find some scrap pieces of fabric, thread up the machine (even if you have to follow step-by-step instructions from manual - it's easy) and practise, practice, practise until you feel comfortable sewing straight lines. :-) After that, sewing together a patchwork of fabric to make a skirt is simple. You just have to start somewhere, so well done for attempting to repair your husband's jeans -- denim isn't the easiest fabric to work with, especially with zips.

I bought my 2nd daughter a sewing machine, fabric, patterns, etc all in a huge hamper for her 30th Birthday and she loved it ....... she sews pictures, cards, fabric, "stuffies" - for storing old carrier bags in , pockets, anything she can get her hands on. I've also taught her to crochet - and she's making a friend a blanket as a gift for her baby shower.

I'm never far from my basket of fabric and yarn. My mother taught me to knit when I was four, started sewing when I was six and had made my first long nightie by the time I was 8. Oh happy days! (And we had great needlework and embroidery classes at school too.)

Perhaps I should think about setting up some basic sewing/craft classes. :-) Stich and Bitch for sewing, and Happy Hookers for crochet :-) I know so many people who would love to learn and people love receiving hand-made stuff.

Dust off that sewing machine and get cracking - would love to hear how you get on!

Thanks!

I think sewing/crochet/knitting classes would be popular - I'd certainly be interested in classes in my area. I did learn some very basic sewing machine stuff when I was young (I'm old enough to have have had sewing classes at school), but they're a bit of a blank. I have purchased a couple of books, and keep promising myself that when we move, I'll get the sewing machine out. I have loads of pre-crohn's clothes that it would be a pity to waste, that look like tents on me.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Thankyou for that I will take a look and let you know. I definitely need a focus, just had a lovely letter hand delivered, details of changes to rent from 1st April...I will be £24 worse off per fortnight, including my council tax contribution, am feeling very lucky although its not the best news, some people are so much worse off. I dread that it will get worse though as also heard today that things are likely to get worse, but for now will breath and just battle through.

impecunious your a star.

Thank you!! I'm definitely into recycling and upcycling clothes - in fact, anything I can get my hands on. There's a great sense of personal achievement too when you rescue clothes you love to wear again!

Impecunious ! :-)

Thankyou for that I will take a look and let you know. I definitely need a focus, just had a lovely letter hand delivered, details of changes to rent from 1st April...I will be £24 worse off per fortnight, including my council tax contribution, am feeling very lucky although its not the best news, some people are so much worse off. I dread that it will get worse though as also heard today that things are likely to get worse, but for now will breath and just battle through.

impecunious your a star.

Sorry to hear that .... I think we're all going to have to tighten our belts. I had a letter yesterday saying my JSA will be £71.70 pw from April 13 (?) .. but as my HB and CT claims are still being processed (it's only taken since beginning of Dec 2012) --- I wait with baited breath.

Yes its bad, I am just lucky I will not have to move. I cant really downsize as already did that last year to a one bedroom flat when the last of my grown up children moved out. At least no bedroom tax etc. I will struggle through, like there is a war on no doubt. I don't have children to worry about, consider myself lucky in many ways. A few reports on ill feeling within the govts own MP's being critical against PM, good news to me, hoping their world will come tumbling down like a broken wall.

Sorting through many items I inherited with the sewing machine, knitting needles, crochet needles galore, and various odd balls of wool. I love the ripple pattern so will get practising. Some hand made throws would be nice for my room. Onward and Upward.

My friend Dawn used the ripple pattern for a blanket for her new niece - it looked fab!!!

I rent a very modest 2-bed house ... HB will only pay 2/3rd of the rent .. have been forced to rent out spare room to first come, first served. Couldn't risk losing my home and can't afford to move ...... now I'm sharing with a Pakistani guy who stays Monday to Friday. My first choice would have been someone more my age with similar interests, a love of crochet and the good sense to know how to clean the bathroom and kitchen after them!! :-)

I'm just hoping that either my self-employment takes off, or I find myself a great full-time job soon!!!

Edited by impecunious

I have today started a practise ripple pattern piece...so far so good. Have gathered a black sack full of unwanted items which I can use to sew with. Looking online for some craft tools and will check out charity shops for anything that could be useful.

I have today started a practise ripple pattern piece...so far so good. Have gathered a black sack full of unwanted items which I can use to sew with. Looking online for some craft tools and will check out charity shops for anything that could be useful.

Great start! I've some "surplus to requirement" stuff at home for card-making: coloured card, decorative paper, butterfly, flower and heart cut-outs in pretty colours, buttons, raffia, and lots of different ribbons - I'd be more than happy to send you some if you cover postage. I also have some 4-ply bamboo/wool yarn ... in white, pink and lime green - perfect for crocheting - you can use it double ...... Will get you started and save lotsa pennies!!! TBH, I could do with a clear out and make space.

Please let me know.

There are always lots of free goodies to be had.

One person's rubbish and all that.

You can even put a want on there - seen people asking for all manner of things (within reason) books, bike, wool, plants.

If anyone makes anything with beads ask in your local charity shops, they often put broken beads behind the counter.

I always give a few bob - well worth it if you are a crafter.

Love this thread.