• Tweets

• So, Sunak has managed to get someone to 'volunteer to go to Rwanda hasn't he? .. for just £3000 payment to the person plus 5 years free board and lodging isnt it? - cost to UK taxpayer over £300M+ (300 million quid+) isnt it? - Bargain says Rwanda, especially with all the profit we made privately selling those luxury chalets Bravermann advertised for us   I wonder how many brits would jump at that offer? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Lets see, up to 5 years free board and lodging and £3k in my pocket .. I'd go - and like that person - just come back if/when I get bored. First job - off to Botswana for a week to see the elephants.   Of course the paid volunteers going to Botswana are meaningless - Rwanda have REPEATEDLY said they wont take any forcibly trafficked people in breach of international law eh? Have they actually got any civil servants to agree to go yet - probably end up as more massive payments to VIPal contractors to go and sit there doing nowt shortly eh?    
    • Hi Wondered if I could get a little advise please. I entered into a commercial lease (3 years) and within a few months I had to leave as the business I was trading with collapsed. I returned the keys to the landlord and explained the situation and no money, also likely to go on benefits but the landlord stuck to their guns. They have now instructed solicitors to send letter before action claiming just over £4000. The lease was mine and so the debt. I know this. I have emailed the solicitors twice to explain I am out of work and that with help from family I could offer a full and final settlement figure of £1500 or £10pw. This was countered by them with an offer to reduce the debt by £400, or pay off the amount over 12 months. I went back with an improved full and final offer of £2500 or £20pw. This has been rejected with the comment 'papers ready to go to court'. I have no hope of paying the £4000 and so it will have to go to court. Pity as I have no debts otherwise but not working is a killer. I wondered if they take me to court, could I ask for mediation? I also think that taking me to court will result in a pretty much nothing per week payment from my benefits. Are companies just pushing ahead with action even if a better offer is on the table? Thanks for your help.
    • Hi all, Many thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, the reply to the email was as expected…   Starbucks UK Customer Care <[email protected]> Hi xxxxxx, We are sorry to read you received a parking charge after using our Stansted Airport - A120 DT store. Unfortunately, the car park here is managed by MET parking. Both Starbucks and EuroGarages who own and operate this site are not able to help and have no authority to overturn any parking charges received. If you have followed the below terms then you would need to send all correspondence to [email protected], who will be able to assist you further. Several signs around the car park clarify the below terms and conditions: • Maximum stay 60 minutes, whilst the store is open. If the store is closed, pay to park applies. • The car park is for Starbucks customers only who make a purchase in our store, a charge will be issued if you left the site. • If you had made a purchase and required additional time, you must have inputted your registration number into the in store iPad which would have extended your stay up to 3 hours • To park in a disabled bay, you must have displayed a valid disabled badge. • If Starbucks was closed, you must have paid for parking as charges still apply, following signage located on site. • If you didn’t use the store, you must have paid for parking, following signage located on site Please ensure all further correspondence is directed to MET parking at the above email address, and accept our apologies that we cannot help you further on this matter.  Kind Regards,  Lora K  Customer Care Team Leader Starbucks Coffee Company, Building 4 Chiswick Park, London, W4 5YE
    • Thanks HB edited and re-uploaded. Thanks for the heads up 👍
    • Am in the middle of selling my house but it's been held up as still showing a change on the property from welcome finance, have not had any contact from them for years or prime credit and need this sorting asap
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

harrassment and bullying continues after reinstatement, sick leave, grievance, hearing on monday

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4062 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was reinstated in my job after i resigned during a grievance hearing. I filed a grievance that my manager was treating me unfairly. After this happened i was temporarily moved and my manager visited and wanted to performance manage me. I always had a record performance, never been performanced managed. Hence the director sensed something was not right and reinstated me. gave me a new store in same district with same mgr. i was asked at the hearing if i could work with my mgr again and i specifically said, yes providing she treats me fairly, with respect and dignity as per policy.

It has been 8 mths and i have had a life of hell at work, been given 2 underperforming reviews by my mgr, put on a performance improvement plan, received a first warning, successfully got off the plan with higher scorecard than the entire district, being told i'm too 'soft', i should have sacked some ppl by now. The last straw for me was recently when she copied an email to HR accusing me of gross negligence, threatening to investigate me. and started conducting a disproportionate investigation. I became so stressed under her leadership, i could not sleep, had lower abdominal pains,i lost weight, i lost my hair, i was not functioninig normal, i had panic attacks and anxiety, diahorrea, vomiting in addition i had a gynaenecological health issue which she knew about which made me ill worse and caused severe bleeding. I was signed off for 6 weeks for work related stress and gynaecological issues under investigaton. during this time i filed a grievance.

The six weeks expires today. The grievance meeting is scheduled for this monday. i want to go through the grievance procedure fully again but cannot continue working for employer, as i felt they placed my heallth and my well being at risk. any advice as to what i could do. ive worked with company for 7 years. and i cannot afford legal advice, spoken to acas who said i need to try and resolve with my employer..

Edited by EmMil
adding paragraphs

Hello and welcome to CAG.

The guys on our employment forum should be able to advise you, I expect they'll be along later.

If you wanted to help them, you might consider using the Edit Post button at the bottom of what you've typed and putting in some paragraphs. The easier you make your post to read, the more advice you should get.

I'll leave you a short term redirect here.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I think the problem is, it's not clear what you are looking for. It sounds like going back to work is going to make you ill; so what do you want to happen? Once we know that we can help.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I think the problem is, it's not clear what you are looking for. It sounds like going back to work is going to make you ill; so what do you want to happen? Once we know that we can help.

Are you hoping for a pay off? If not I'd resign and move on.

Thanks for your replies. after 7 years i do not want to quit my job again. Its not to find work out there and im good at what i do. I have always been a high performer at work and if im being harrassed and bullied by 1 person, my manager, despite the fact i'm performing above expectation surely, i shouldnt be forced to quit. I'm hoping at the meeting tomorrow once i present my case, to say look, i've tried working with this person again, it's now affecting my health and list the issues, they will remove me from under her leadership this time...if they cant do that...well then i'd think about throwing the towel in...and go ET...

EmMil,

I have through the same experiences as you although not over such an extended period of time.

It sounds to me that your manager feels threatened by you and she is trying to performance manage you out of the company. Now you would think, as I did that a manager would be really pleased to have an employee that is good at their job and willing to go the extra mile to get things done. Unfortunately as I found out at my own expense this is not the case where the manager feels insecure in their role and then views you as a threat. In some way she probably fears she will be managed out of her role and knows you would be well capable of taking over, or even worse you might get promoted to a higher position than her. Therefore it has become her project to undermine your performance at every opportunity.

Like you I submitted a formal grievance which was rejected and an appeal which was also rejected. By the end of the process I realised that management were never going to admit to anything and are only interested in covering their own backs. Even worse, they often have absolutely no regard for an employees wellbeing and health. In the end I just could not take it anymore and had to resign, claiming constructive unfair dismissal. However as you have rightly pointed out it is very difficult to find a new job at the moment, especially when you have to answer difficult questions about why you left your previous job.

Therefore I strongly recommend you consider your options carefully before making any kind of rash decisions. I suggest you go through the grievance process, making sure you have someone with you at all meetings to verify what was said or done and make sure you get copies of minutes. When asked what outcome you want from this process I suggest you ask for a transfer to a different manager. You have clearly done everything possible to try and work with her, but she is a woman on a mission and that mission is to get you out. If not through performance management, then she will make your life so miserable that eventually you will be forced to resign.

I have my full merits hearing commencing at the end of April and I can tell you it has been a nightmare getting to this stage. The impact on my health has been significant and on my relationships with friends and family, but I know that in order to get closure for myself and finally put this whole sorry business to bed and move on with my life, win or lose I have to see this process through to the end.

There are a number of charities that will provide you with good legal advice free of charge, depending on what part of the country you are in. If you don't want to say in the public forum, feel free to pm me and I will send you some details.

Stay strong

DJ

Thank you dj for your reply. I had my hearing yesterday. I did my best but felt i left out some examples of how i was treated unfairly, i was very nervous and emotional but gave sufficient as to how the trust and confidence has broken down with my immediate mgr. too late to add more now, but i was firm in requesting a transfer as the outcome i would like to see. so i'm on standby to be placed in another location to work this week while the investigation into the grievance continues, fingers crossed it will be ok. I will have an outcome in 10 days. I honestly do not expect the Co to accept any liability as from what ive read online, most companies dont. At least if i can secure a transfer then i can have a new start somwhere else in the company and it can buy me some time to job hunt if i feel i can no longer trust my employers to manage a bully in the company.

I need some help here from anyone. After i attended grievance meeting, i was told i would be temporarilty relocated because I asked for transfer and clearly stated i cant work for my manager because of her unfair treatment towards me and breakdown of trust and confidence. This was not forthcoming, I got email back saying the relocation would be too short so i should stay at home paid while they investigate. instead i was placed on gardening leave for 2 weeks. I have received the outcome of the grievance by email and its on its way by post, which as expected was not in my favour. nothing was upheld, however my regional director wants to meet with me on monday face to face to discuss the outcome and look at the next steps and a way forward. Now i had asked for a transfer and this was not included in the grievance outcome letter. needless to say some points raised in the grievance meeting were not investigated or reported on. Can the company really expect me to return to working with my boss after the hell ive been through? Is that even legal? im very nervous about any discussions that could take place as i feel they may corner me and say no where to transfer you to, would you rather leave? has anyone been through similar?

if your director wants to meet, I'd hazard a guess a compromise agreement is on its way. I may be wrong, but if you cannot work and they will not move you, it's least painful for everyone.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hi EmMil,

No surprise that the outcome of their "investigation" was not the one you wanted. They are not going to admit to wrongdoings that may expose them to legal action at a later date and of course they were always going to cover up your managers shortcomings. This must feel really frustrating, I remember what it felt like when the same thing happened to me.

In my opinion it is decision time for you now. What is the best outcome for you? You have indicated that you do not want to return to the same position to be working under the same manager. It does appear they are not willing or maybe do not have another position to transfer you to. So as I see it you have two options:

1) Submit an appeal against the grievance outcome which will probably not change the outcome, but bring you one step closer to being in a position where you may be able to resign and claim constructive dismissal. However this is a notoriously difficult claim to prove and the stress of going through the employment tribunal process is a big undertaking.

2) You try to reach a compromise agreement with your employer. This would definitely need some of the more experienced caggers here to advise you, but if you are adamant you cannot return to working for your current manager this may be an option worth exploring.

The only other thing I would say is make sure you have someone with you at the meeting with your regional director.

Good luck

DJ

DJ I donlt think it's a formal meeting so no right to be accompanied

I'd take obvious copious notes

Can't see why. Also I personally would not make you a settlement offer in front of your witness so might be shooting yourself in the foot a bit there.

I'd probably get fixed in my head the legal minimum payoff inc holiday pay and notice period and have an idea in my mind what I wanted on top ( within reason)

A quick question, do i have to appeal the grievance should this go to a tribunal? I received the notes today by post which now includes my managers replies to questions she had been asked. Very basic questions which not even touch the surface. She seemed to be painting a picture that we have a 'great relationship' even mention hugging me once... it also said ' questions by email' ..So she had more time to compose a response i take it..anyway the appeal person is director who had 'told me off for resigning' and called me back to work...he had also accused me of being 'hot headed'. It was his decision that has put my back in this position with my manager. Can I request the appeal person be changed because I do not feel i will get an unbiased appeal hearing?

Emmzzi : Last time they offered me my job back or offered Pay In Lieu of notice (so then for me it was 6 years of servive ) +holiday when I handed in my notice.. but i chose my job back ... they also gave this option if i was not satisfied with new location...... they are massive co. but will do same....the grievance listed - 1. unfair treatment and 2. breakdown of trust and confidence . im now struggling to write an appeal letter as the appeal must be done in 7 days however the meeting scheduled on monday is 1 day before this expires hence i do not know if i will be offered a transfer away from my manager until monday. If i am, i wont appeal as again it will be mostly her word against mine, on the other hand I am still preparing something and on monday will follow dj's advice as stated below if they are sending me back to my current store after being signed off for work related stress for 6 weeks..

"In my opinion it is decision time for you now. What is the best outcome for you? You have indicated that you do not want to return to the same position to be working under the same manager. It does appear they are not willing or maybe do not have another position to transfer you to. So as I see it you have two options:"

lets speculate :say they offer a compromise agreement or even this PILON+hols, and i talk to potential employers ' how do i explain my reasons for leaving the job 'to be unemployed' or job hunting, thats the scary part as its always easier to find a job when you are employed than unemployed..so many thoughts..

your employer will never openly admit to a breakdown of trust and confidence as they will legally be admitting to constructive dismissal or breach of contract

whether your grievance is sound or not i'd expect it to not be upheld in any form of words you will like at best, if you have a good case they may offer movement for you

"left by mutual agreement."

implies they broke the law but you cannot discuss as subject to CA. well known short hand.

just an update, the meeting yesterday with the regional director was just us. he wanted to analyze grievance outcome and gave feedback about how little i gave in grievance meeting and it was attributed to the fact i was just returning from bein sick (i broke down and crumbled apparently, blank in parts, very general, i was told i needed to not be so general but give specifics e.g dates, times, witness, something for him to go away and probe deeper. was also told it would have been easier to handle informally)

Now I was asked how would i feel with a mediation meeting with me, the manager and the him? he also added that we could get an independent person but feels its best we sit together and put it all on the table. i do not have to agree to anything i was told. i asked when? he said today tuesday. i said too early i would need to think about it, send me details through. so decision was for friday and id think about it and get back to him.

And the usual, you are a 'brilliant manager' speech, would not want to lose you blah blah blah. i was told nearest vacancy is in location XXXX a bit far to travel , which id have to apply for, he would support any vacancy coming up in next couple of months blah blah blah.

I got message today stating where we can informally meet on friday. despite all the stress this has put me under i have decided i will not be afraid and crumble. i will go to this mediation to further put my points across. after a year, my manager wont change, that is her 'management style'. At This meeting, because her boss will be there, wont be no different.

I also want to ask any caggers on here for some help with my appeal letter to the vice President of Operations today (sorry abt short notice). i want to add that should outcome of transfer not be favourable I will resign. with all that in mind deadline for appeal is today. would i be shooting myself in the foot to do that?? not sure why they cant move managers around in neighbouring district. my store is profitable and highly sought after by managers. you would think that is the right thing to do to save a 'brilliant manager'

shoutout to anyone out there who can help me with this today. also do i have to list out the reasons for appeal now or take that to appeal meeting?

Regards

EmMil

yes, you would be shooting yourself in the foot saying you would resign. Don't do it.

Go to mediation with an oprn mind. You are completely prejudging the situation so it is currently bound to fail.