chargeback needs to be refunded

trueblue924
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4072 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

can anyone tell me where i stand with this.

i bought a fridge freezer from homebase on the 14th of jan and returned it the next day as it wasnt big enough,

i was told of three dates for a refund but it never turned up

i spoke to the bank (hsbc) they suggested a chargeback as it was a visa debit i could do that,

so we did and was told we needed to fill out some forms with proof

we had sent it back and was told we may need to pay it back at a later date as they put it into our account straight away but we would get plenty of notice of this.

this was on the 1st of feb.

we got the forms filled it out and sent it with a copy of the paperwork we had for sending it back.

we thought no more of it then on the 18th homebase refunded the money into our account,

now we did make a mistake and use the money they refunded without realising that was what is was.

Then yesterday we received a letter saying they would be taking the amount back but no date on the form

we rang them to find out they were taking it tomorrow.

now the letter was dated the 22 of feb and we only know it will be taken tomorrow as we rang up.

is this right surely that is not giving us prior knowledge of it going out.

where do we stand with this,

we will have no money in the bank tomorrow when tax credits go in and we are both unemployed and we have three children one is only one year old.

thanks for looking

can anyone tell me where i stand with this.

i bought a fridge freezer from homebase on the 14th of jan and returned it the next day as it wasnt big enough, i was told of three dates for a refund but it never turned up i spoke to the bank (hsbc) they suggested a chargeback as it was a visa debit i could do that, so we did and was told we needed to fill out some forms with proof we had sent it back and was told we may need to pay it back at a later date as they put it into our account straight away but we would get plenty of notice of this. this was on the 1st of feb. we got the forms filled it out and sent it with a copy of the paperwork we had for sending it back. we thought no more of it then on the 18th homebase refunded the money into our account, now we did make a mistake and use the money they refunded without realising that was what is was. Then yesterday we recieved a letter saying they would be taking the amount back but no date on the form so we rang them to find out they were taking it tomorrow. now the letter was dated the 22 of feb and we only know it will be taken tomorrow as we rang up. is this right surely that is not giving us prior knowledge of it going out. where do we stand with this, we will have no money in the bank tomorrow when tax credits go in and we are both unemployed and we have three children one is only one year old.

thanks for looking

You appear to be blaming the reversal of the 2nd refund, but if you hadn't have had "2 refunds", you'd still be overdrawn.

Your original post notes "we may need to pay it back at a later date as they put it into our account straight away".

So, from the 18th you had "2 refunds of the same money"?

If this is correct, I'm not sure you can complain that a reversal of the chargeback leaving you still having had 1 refund is in any way unfair.

yes the bank refunded it on the 1st of feb then homebase on the 18th of feb which we used as we did not realise that was money from homebase and not from something else, our complaint is more the fact that we were told we would have plenty of notice before they took the momney back if they needed to but they have only given us two days as they sent the letter on the 22nd of feb but we got it on the 27th of feb and it doesnt even say when they would take it and we know we will have to pay it back it is just the notification we have an issue with and we are not currently over drawn but we will be tomorrow when they take the money.

have a read of bcobs

as this involves benefit money they should be treating you 'fairly'

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

have a read of bcobs

as this involves benefit money they should be treating you 'fairly'

dx

Does it involve benefit money?

The OP has had "2 refunds" of the "same purchase cost" : how is that 'benefit money' and how is them taking back "1 of the 2 refunds" 'unfair'?

the tax credits bit

not disputing the money 'should' be taken

just that the timing is wrong for the OP

they should be treated fairly.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

the tax credits bit

not disputing the money 'should' be taken

just that the timing is wrong for the OP

they should be treated fairly.

dx

They are, in effect, asking for a short-term fee-free overdraft, by asking for the reversal of the 2nd refund to be delayed.

If they are granted this out of 'fairness' : is that not then unfair on those who might similarly want a fee-free short term overdraft unless all are given this?.

I still don't see how they have been treated unfairly if they were warned the money would be repayable but spent it anyhow (even out of necessity). They might have hoped it wouldn't be demanded prior to the end of the month, but unless such an assurance was given : it is still not "unfair"

just to update the bank have allowed us a one week extension which isnt perfect but it is probably fair and soon we will be able to put this behind us.

you do kind of have a point bazza, however we never asked for two refunds and was told we would have plenty of notice before payment was taken back. we did make a mistake which we have admitted. i do believe having to go through the banks after three weeks of waiting for a refund when we have no product is very unfair but it is also not the banks fault, however the bank are only out of pocket because of homebase not us so why shouldnt we be dealt with fairly by the bank and given plenty of notice. especially when because of a simple error by us means that a whole family would be placed in financal hardship in stead of the bank penalising us for it as they would not lose out.

thank you for the link dx that was something i didnt know anything about , bazza does make a good point where does anyone know where you would stand if it was your fault or had any dealings with things like this.

just to update the bank have allowed us a one week extension which isnt perfect but it is probably fair and soon we will be able to put this behind us.

you do kind of have a point bazza, however we never asked for two refunds and was told we would have plenty of notice before payment was taken back. we did make a mistake which we have admitted. i do believe having to go through the banks after three weeks of waiting for a refund when we have no product is very unfair but it is also not the banks fault, however the bank are only out of pocket because of homebase not us so why shouldnt we be dealt with fairly by the bank and given plenty of notice. especially when because of a simple error by us means that a whole family would be placed in financal hardship in stead of the bank penalising us for it as they would not lose out.

thank you for the link dx that was something i didnt know anything about , bazza does make a good point where does anyone know where you would stand if it was your fault or had any dealings with things like this.

If they gave you an assurance they would give you "plenty of notice" and you were relying on that in your budgeting, then they need to give you leeway out of 'fairness'

If they said "2nd refund subject to recall" but didn't agree they'd give you notice of it they could reasonably take back the 2nd refund at any stage.

I'm glad they have offered you a reasonable extension.

yes they definetly did say plenty of notice so i suppose it all depends on what they class as resonable notice to cliam the money back now . i dont know what the bank class as resonable i do think it is 30 days for bank charges so surely this should be the same, i think it just makes it difficulty because we have had the money back twice. it just annoyes me that homebase can take six weeks to refund it even though they have the money yet we only get a week lol.