• Tweets

• Yes, you should have applied for an immediate strike out as soon as the deadline expired. Without the agreement, they are stuffed Forget Barclaycard, Asset link is now the creditor, and it is down to them to provide the agreement.  That needs to go into the witness statement. They have not provided the agreement contrary to directions of the court and request the court strike out the claim as to the original court directions.
    • I did not receive a notice via post but in my claim status it shows my claim was transferred to a court I requested in my DQ, as it is closer to me.    Defense I filed:  1.       The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2.       The defendant paid the lead tenant a fixed sum monthly bill without fail for the extent of the rental period of the accommodation their contract was associated with who was responsible to make payments to the claimant, ending in June 2023. 3.       After moving out, a month later, the claimant wrote to state that an outstanding sum existed. Further stating, as one of the 10 tenants at the time, I now owed them the full sum instead of my 1/10 proportion of said debt, as 10 students were at the dwelling. They also intimated that they were legally allowed to charge me the full sum if the other renters were not to pay their share under some equal and joint severity rule. 4.       Despite sending numerous requests prior to the court claim being raised for copies of said bills for said utilities covered by the agreement, the claimant failed to send any clear bills. This included a CPR 31.14 on xx/xx/xxxx sent via post. 5.       The defendants stress that they acted in good faith to settle the outstanding balance, as evidenced by the confirmation received from the claimant.  Any subsequent demands for additional payments are unwarranted and contradict the claimant's previous acknowledgment of settlement. 6.       Pursuant to OFGEM code of back billing rules the alleged charges relate to charges which have not been billed correctly by Co-operative Energy and are therefore prevented from charging. With the court’s permission the Claimant is put to strict proof to: - a) show and disclose how the Defendant has entered into an agreement. b) show and disclose how the Claimant has reached the amount claimed. c) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim. 7.As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation                  that the money is owed. 8.It is therefore denied that the defendant is indebted to the claimant as alleged or at all.
    • Paint is a free programme on any Windows PC. But don't worry, the choice here is not either perfection or nothing. As you say, use your scanner, save the file ... and then use the "choose files" option when you post to CAG to add the file. We can do all the redacting and converting to the correct file type at this end.  The important thing is just to get the info to us. Why not do an experiment this afternoon and see if the above works?  
    • I see they're trying to round up asylum seekers and lock them up for about three months so they can be put on planes to Rwanda. I'm a bit surprised that this is legal.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Is the bank taking your Benefits ?

MARTIN3030
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4052 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx for the post P. These threads are really what I was thinking. If the banks are taking our benefits illegally why not call in the cops.

I have sent 2 letters to Nationwide pointing out their theft and, surprise, this morning, head office is not taking phone calls.

I wish someone would go and complain to M.Plod and see the police are interested. It would be really good to see them in the dock.

Can anybody out there try it.

As I have said before I would but as my claim is already subject to Court action

GIVE IT A GO - PLEASE!!!

If You are on benefits you must read this

Social Security Administration Act 1992

Miscellaneous

Certain benefit to be inalienable **

187- Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of, or charge on-

(a)benefit as defined in section 122 of the Contributions and Benefits Act;

(b)any income-related benefit; or

©child benefit,

and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bankruptcy of the beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors

I wish someone would go and complain to M.Plod and see the police are interested. It would be really good to see them in the dock.

Can anybody out there try it.

As I have said before I would but as my claim is already subject to Court action

GIVE IT A GO - PLEASE!!!

John, phoned local plod, spoke to a concerned pc BUT he does not think the police want to get involved (taking on a bank, whatever next?), but he took details of the SSA Act and my phone No, he may phone back. Wont hold my breath

Trevor

Well Done!

Even if nothing comes of it you have tried. I feel that nowadays police are only interested in petty crime such as motoring offences etc, too take on something like this might affect their clear up rate and the Government would then take action against them for waisting police time and affecting their crime figures.

The thing that has to happen is for lots of people to complain that way they have to take notice. Keep us all posted on any developments.

John

If You are on benefits you must read this

Miscellaneous

©child benefit,

and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bankruptcy of the beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors

What muppets you must have spoken to. Of course it does.

Suggest they read this & if they don't know about it tell them you will be more than happy to let them have copies

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Lettersandcirculars/Dearcolleagueletters/DH_063742

What muppets you must have spoken to. Of course it does.

Suggest they read this & if they don't know about it tell them you will be more than happy to let them have copies

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Lettersandcirculars/Dearcolleagueletters/DH_063742

I think the muppets I spoke to hadn't a clue what I was talking about. They didn't even know about the SSA act.

I have read the letters from your link and they go on about a BASIC account. My account is a normal account with cheque book and DD's but my only income is benefifts. Is there a difference. Each credit is clearly accompanied with a National Insurance number and 'DWP'. I pointed this out to the bank but so far they are keeping quiet. (Still waiting for a reply to my recorded delivery letter).

Hi everyone,

I posted a few weeks ago asking if carers allowance counted and was told it was so off I went to Nationwide with my letter and I also sent one to the head office. I was told someone would be in touch and today I got the letter telling me that it would be unfair to other members if they refunded the charges and if i'm struggling financially I could always ask for an emergency overdraft! They wont give me an overdraft! What do I do now? In total they have taken over £400 out of my account and half of that is benefits. I've sent the letters etc but they aren't doing anything about it.

Tash x

Tash,

Great. You are obviously dealing with somebody who hasn't got a clue wgat they are talking about.

One of the problems the banks have, is where they have done something wrong, they can't communicate that through the ranks eg. 'if somebody phones up and they are on benefits and have a complaint, then you should reply "blah blah"'. They would then be seen to be directing others.

It is easier to wriggle out of this if they tell their staff to be vigilant and do all they can to stop any false claims.

There will be no training courses for staff to tell them how they have been ripping people off, and how best to rectify it.

I guess, a senior manager will get several letters on his desk for signature.

I would walk into my local branch, with the details and letters, together with a copy of: -

Miscellaneous

©child benefit,

and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bancrupcy of the beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors

If you are very stuck for money, point out the obvious unlawful activity and demand your money is put back in your account.

If you are in a better position and they ignore you, send an LBA and then issue proceedings. Go all the way, they are definitely wrong.

Tide

I think the muppets I spoke to hadn't a clue what I was talking about. They didn't even know about the SSA act.

I have read the letters from your link and they go on about a BASIC account. My account is a normal account with cheque book and DD's but my only income is benefifts. Is there a difference. Each credit is clearly accompanied with a National Insurance number and 'DWP'. I pointed this out to the bank but so far they are keeping quiet. (Still waiting for a reply to my recorded delivery letter).

The remark about basic accounts is irrelevant. The minister is reffering to the identifiable benefits paid as belonging to the state & therefore beyond the reach of the banks

The reference to basic accounts is about difficulties some consumers have experienced opening these accounts

pliny

I am trying to get the bank to refund £60 of charges due to DWP late payment and cheque bouncing etc.

I know when this occured. I have sent 2 letters so far with only one fob off letter in return. Second letter I quoted SSA act but nothing else.

An umbrella acct. would be good but may not be easy due to credit history.

What is my best approach now and what time scale can I quote.

regards

Trevor

Apparently my daughter was told by the Post Office that she can phone DWP up and ask for a Personal Invitation Document. not sure what this is? perhaps someone can enlighten me. I am hoping its a way of receiving benefits without the thieving baskets getting there first.

pliny

I am trying to get the bank to refund £60 of charges due to DWP late payment and cheque bouncing etc.

I know when this occured. I have sent 2 letters so far with only one fob off letter in return. Second letter I quoted SSA act but nothing else.

An umbrella acct. would be good but may not be easy due to credit history.

What is my best approach now and what time scale can I quote.

regards

Trevor

First of all, you could try someone like the Natwest! They offer accounts with debit cards for a slightly chequered history. Worth a try.

Send a Letter Before Action with 7 days notice (hand in to your local branch-manager if poss), quoting the SSA92 act, copies of your previous letters, a copy of the communication in the links above re Sec of State and the BBA and demand repayment. If not, be prepared to issued court proceedings for them to comply under that act.

Post your draft letter on here if you'd like, maybe members could offer advice re content!

Apparently my daughter was told by the Post Office that she can phone DWP up and ask for a Personal Invitation Document. not sure what this is? perhaps someone can enlighten me. I am hoping its a way of receiving benefits without the thieving baskets getting there first.

The Personal Invitation is to open a Post Office account via the government agency. It can take less time than doing it direct with the PO and pre-approves you for benefit payments. I'm not sure if you can arrange direct debits etc from the basic benefit account(i think it just provides you with a receiving account for your money) but they do have other accounts which have that facility.

Once you receive your Personal Invitation, you take that with ID/utility bill to the PO, they then process - and send you sometime later, 2 forms. 1 is a 'pick up form' to collect your PO card, the other is confirming the account T&C's and activating the card to get the PIN. Sometime after - when the DWP have received that 2nd form from the PO, they start paying the benefits into the account.

You could call the DWP and ask how payments are made in the intrim period (if by Giro etc). That I don't know I'm afraid.

P

• Haha 2

If my advice has helped, please click on my scales. Thank you!

MBNA - CRA file to be cleared then finished!

Abbey Personal - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

Capital One - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

GMAC - Sent DCA SAR 9th March 07 - confirmed not legally assigned.

Waiting for GMAC to provide breakdown of charges and CCA under s79

Alliance & Leicester - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court.

Many thanks from me as well. Still a bit wobbly about sending LBA for £60 and all the hassle of changing bank account and DD's etc.

I think I will still keep sending letters and e-mails for now and see what happens.

Had the second fob off letter this morning (same as first)

best regards.

Trevor

You're both welcome, just keep your chin up and stand your ground!

All the best

P

• Haha 3

Appreciated Tide - and agreed, I may offer advice, but even I need help! lol

Thank you

P

Hi, I posted earlier in this thread about the bank taking my benefits. My son has been very ill and I haven't had the chance to write to them(the bank) regarding this issue. This morning I received a letter telling me I am now £140 overdrawn and that they intend to withdraw my banking facilities and unless I pay up by the 20th of this month they will pass my case n to a debt collector. The 140 is purely charges as I paid back the mere pounds I owed them months ago and as I can't afford to pay these charges I was wondering if you could help me with a letter to send them? It's all very confusing at the best of times let alone when I haven't slept for more than three hours at a time in weeks!

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I've got my N1 form from the county court, after A&L have completely ignored my two letters I'm going to start proceedings(including asking for the interest back). I've looked on the forum as what to write in the form, I'm not sure how I'm going to get all that information into the little boxes provided but I shall try today! Thanks for the moral support!

Hi, I posted earlier in this thread about the bank taking my benefits. My son has been very ill and I haven't had the chance to write to them(the bank) regarding this issue. This morning I received a letter telling me I am now £140 overdrawn and that they intend to withdraw my banking facilities and unless I pay up by the 20th of this month they will pass my case n to a debt collector.

I'm almost certain that they must give you 30 days notice of account closure. It will be in their terms & conditions, but I hope someone can confirm on here.

The 140 is purely charges as I paid back the mere pounds I owed them months ago and as I can't afford to pay these charges I was wondering if you could help me with a letter to send them? It's all very confusing at the best of times let alone when I haven't slept for more than three hours at a time in weeks!

I think you need to start a thread of your own - which bank are you with? I can help with a link to start one, and advise on letter content too (as I am sure will others...)

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I've got my N1 form from the county court, after A&L have completely ignored my two letters I'm going to start proceedings(including asking for the interest back). I've looked on the forum as what to write in the form, I'm not sure how I'm going to get all that information into the little boxes provided but I shall try today! Thanks for the moral support!

Again, with your own thread, any details like 'POC' etc cnan be advised directly on your own thread.

"Together we'll crack 'em"

:-)

Update - letter from Lloyds, just saying that they are still looking into the concerns recently raised. They are hoping to complete their enquiries within the next two weeks. I am going to write back and say they've had long enough so I am pressing on with N1. Do you think this right? or should I give FOS and Penny Berryman time to react? any advice welcome.

Surprise

It's good you've had a response, at least it's not a 'bog off' letter.

I personall would write to whomever sent you that letter, special del if you can (gauranteed next day) and advise that they have till monday next (one woking week) to reply or else you will submit the N1 you have , ready and completed, to be filed at your (insert name) County Court (insert address).

That way, you've given them ample time, you control the delay, and they know you are prepared for business.

Just my opinion.

All the best

Pers

Thanks. I was thinking something along these lines. I must say it is a very apologetic letter and its come from Birmingham but I wrote to London, also the reply was quick. I think someone may have had a rocket.