Son being forced into WRAG interview.

Dakel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4282 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son suffers from Anxiety, Depression and Agoraphobia among other things,

He's gone through all the usual stuff so far, failing his ATOS medical, appealing and succeeding and has been placed in the WRAG and I am currently appealing on his behalf to be placed in the support group and have been waiting months as usual for a reply.

I called to check on the status of his appeal since getting a letter about his interview and now they have no record of it, even after calling up months ago to check they had indeed recieved it.

However I am more concerned about this interview, originally we were told it was possible for a home visit but this has turned out to be false and he is being forced into going to his first work related interview next monday at the job centre.

He has already had this deferred once already and now they are adamant that he has to go next week.

There is no way he is going to be able to go and the thought it is already affecting him and making him shake/panic and worry, I am wondering what i can do if anything about this interview?

I am permitted to be with him, the issue is with him being agoraphobic and not being in the correct mental state to be able to deal with leaving the house, talking to a complete stranger in a situation and place he is not used to or comfortable with.

Yet he is still being forced into the interview and told he has to attend no matter what even after I spoke on the phone today about his problems.

You have 2 options;

1, deferment - you can ask for them to put off the WFI for a period sometimes indefinitely - they can not be totally canceled as one day a person might actually be capable of attending/needing them. So they might get a call or letter asking one to attend every now and again.

2, telephone interview - as it on says on tin (usually 2 Ovaltine joined by a piece of string) held via telephone

I would like to say home visit but in honesty I have never heard of this happening (a bit googling may bring results)

Both those are at the discretion of the person you talk to, but as long as you can prove your request is reasonable and that it is a fair adjustment should be granted. If not you make an official complaint and appeal any decision (see below)

These things are mandatory so are sanctionable, although that's sanction can only be applied to the extra £20 you get for being in the WRAG group (the £71 base ESA is protected) until you take part in one or get it deferred.

(Be careful of this after Oct 2013 as proposed default sanctions for whatever ESA becomes under Universal Credit is 40% of total of all combined benefits received)

They are no biggy tbf and they just discuss when/if/how you might like to return to work at some point and what help you would require. So do a bit of a read round on them as it may help if he understands that he's not going to be forced into work or anything like that. Just what he would eventually like to do and if he has a CV etc.

The thing to watch out for is any mention of or attempt to get you to agree to a referral to the Work Program. That's bad news and you should be there for the call/interview if you feel he may agree to something like this under pressure or flips out and will agree to anything just to end the call (I have this problem silly brain).

I'd also advise recording (covertly) all interviews and telephone conversations. Having a record of what's happened especially for somebody vulnerable is for their protection and perfectly legal.