Income tax priority - would other creditors get a CCJ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4332 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have a £30k income tax bill from a period that I was a partner in an LLP in 2010 to pay (since then PAYE employee/director in a limited company of which I own less than 5%).

I did an income/expenditure and figured out I could pay £2,000 after basic living expenses, which I was currently paying toward other creditor (~£40k owed, £1,200 a month bills, some on time, some defaults).

I offered this to HMRC and they said fine, no need to send us an income/expenditure (very nice chap on the phone)

I want to pay my tax bill ASAP for obvious reasons, but if I only make token payments to other creditors as a result, what are they chances of one getting a CCJ on me successfully? Renting currently, no assets except for my car that I need for my disabled son.

I work in the financial services industry and am an FSA approved person, so this would make my job a bit difficult. Obviously after I finish paying off the tax bill next September I can put the excess cash to my creditors and pay them off in two years.

I believe that a tax bill/arrears takes priority. However, I will flag your thread for site team.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If you continue to make payments, (albeit reduced payments), after explaining you have a tax bill to pay, (without going into too much detail), the chances of them getting a ccj are extremely remote and because you aren't trying to deny you owe them, it's very unlikely they will even attempt to get a CCJ.

CCJs are a means of getting a legal acknowlegment of a debt and agreeing an amount to clear that debt. You haven't made any noises trying to deny the debt and are already paying so will be assumed to have acknowledged the debt and will continue to make payments and not default.

Courts don't like being used in an attempt to increase monthly payments and creditors know this and know that it usually costs them in the attempt with no outcome. And you will probably be back to full payments with them before they could hope to get to court anyway.

I am paying about half of the debts but stopped paying the other half once the tax bill came through in January, since which I have also moved (get mail forwarded)

Reading through the threads on the forum, should I offer to pay them all a token amount straight away with some details of the tax bill, or should I try the CCA/penalty reclaim? From what I can see this would not work on loans or overdrafts, but may help with credit cards?

Also, in paying token amounts until next year, I assume that the remaining accounts will get defaulted and passed onto DCAs?

Thanks!

Are there charges or PPI on the other debts that could be reclaimed ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Looking into full & final settlements next year as well as my parents have offered to help with a lump sum at the end of next year, so ideally would want to push these down as low as possible while avoiding CCJs (can't get the lump sum any sooner)

If you admit to these debts then make a token payment to them all. If there is any doubt about the amount being claimed then get all the paperwork from them and check it out. This can also help to delay things if you are looking to get a little time on your side.

Thanks, and am I correct in that penalty charges can no longer be claimed on overdrafts, but only on credit cards? Shame as some of my overdrafts are all penalty charges!

The procedure for claiming unfair penalties is SAR & CCA and then the claim letter?

Yes, only on credit cards and loans no longer able to reclaim on current account/overdrafts.

Although there have been some success where people have been able to claim hardship.

BCOBS

Ok, I will acknowledge overdraft and loan amounts where there are no penalty charges and offer them £1 each until the tax is paid off (should I tell them when that will be?)

For credit cards will do CCA/SAR to claim back all charges, then offer £1 each until tax paid off.

For both will hopefully be able to offer reduced full & final settlements next year (will offer them the amount I have borrowed, no interest or charges as I think that's morally fair).

Thanks!

Are the disgusting charges they attache to someones non-fault problem moral! I wouldn't think down that road, they go for everything they can get and would put you out on the street if they thought they could get away with it.

When you make the offer, be diplomatic but tell them, (not ask), that is all you can afford at present and will review it in six months time.