Disabled wife got a job, now need advice reg DLA

kajun666
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4326 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, My wife who has suffered 15 years of ME and Fibromyalga, finaly started to feel a little better early this year.

We were so happy, she decided to try and get a little part time job with the help of the job centres disability adviser. She got 16 hours part time in a store, it was the max hours she could cope with. It enabled us to claim working tax credits, the Adviser told us to wait before we inform the DLA to see if my wife could cope with the job. (ps: im still her carer, picking her up and dropping her of, and still looking after her at home)

Well its been about 9 weeks now and my wifes loves the job and is coping very well. Its now time to let the DLA now about this. (we will write to them rather than phone them.)

Could some kind souls please advise us what to say or not to say in the letter. We are worried they will stop the DLA altogether now shes coping.

She is still disabled and still needs her medication and care (though she is coping alot better) . Will she be kicked off DLA, have we left it to long to inform DLA of our change in circumstanes etc ?

Any advise would be appreciated.

You are only obliged to advise DLA if your wife's condition changes, i.e. she needs more or less care.

Being able to manage a part time job might imply that she is better than she was, is she really any better? Does she need less care than before she started working? Has her mobility improved?

How does she cope when not at work? Is she about the same, better or possibly even worse if she's more tired?

What rate of DLA does your wife get at the moment?

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Being able to manage a part time job might imply that she is better than she was, is she really any better? Does she need less care than before she started working? Has her mobility improved?

She was claiming the higher rate DLA, she was very ill for a long time. This year her mobility got a little better, had a little more energy and so decided to look for a small job. 16 hours in 4 hour shifts was perfect and allowed us to claim working tax credits. She still recieves the same amount of care from me for sure, no change there.

How does she cope when not at work? Is she about the same, better or possibly even worse if she's more tired?

When at home shes either asleep or on the couch resting, shes still suffering the same aches and pains for sure. after work its straight home to bed. I still look after her and the home, no difference in the care i provide for her.

My wife is still ill suffering the same probs, shes just coping better.

She was claiming the higher rate DLA, she was very ill for a long time. This year her mobility got a little better, had a little more energy and so decided to look for a small job. 16 hours in 4 hour shifts was perfect and allowed us to claim working tax credits. She still recieves the same amount of care from me for sure, no change there.

When at home shes either asleep or on the couch resting, shes still suffering the same aches and pains for sure. after work its straight home to bed. I still look after her and the home, no difference in the care i provide for her.

My wife is still ill suffering the same probs, shes just coping better.

I have just had a look at my award letter and it clearly says

Changes you must tell us about

if things get easier or more difficult for you

AND

We also need to know if you:

start work

If there is no change in her care needs then there is no change. However, she does need to advise she is working however unless her job contradicts her condition it will have no effect.

An example of this is I started PT work in an office and it did not change my DLA. DLA is not income based, but you have a duty to tell them of her work. She may be entitled to Disability Tax Credits and a return to work bonus as well.

If there is no change in her care needs then there is no change. However, she does need to advise she is working however unless her job contradicts her condition it will have no effect.

An example of this is I started PT work in an office and it did not change my DLA. DLA is not income based, but you have a duty to tell them of her work. She may be entitled to Disability Tax Credits and a return to work bonus as well.

Good point. Yes I agree that it is for the DWP to decide, given the updated information, as to whether there could have been a change in needs given that kajun666's wife is now able to work 16 hours a week as opposed to being unable to do any work in the past which was given as a situation when the claim was originally made.

More than likely the DWP will issue another claim form for the claimant to explain the improvement in health and how it has been positive in that it has led to her being able to return to work albeit on a part time basis for the moment.

Thank you everyone, all your comments are very helpfull. Were are going to write too DLA this week and try and keep the letter nice and short.

We would appreciate any advice as too what to say, were thinking something along the lines of:

Dear DWP, we kajun and mrs kajun would like to inform you that Mrs kajun has started a partime job, working 16 hours a week doing 4 hour shifts. the place of emplyment allows mrs kajun to take as many breaks as needed, and are very sensitive to helping her do her job in comfort. (give them dates etc. )

Mrs Kajun is still disabled and still on all her medication and also recieves care from her husband who is her full time carer.

Thats all we can think of saying at this moment, any tips and advice on writing this letter will be greatly appreciated, as were terrified of saying the wrong thing.

Thank you

Edited by kajun666

Thank you everyone, all your comments are very helpfull. Were are going to write too DLA this week and try and keep the letter nice and short.

We would appreciate any advice as too what to say, were thinking something along the lines of:

Dear DWP, we kajun and mrs kajun would like to inform you that Mrs kajun has started a partime job, working 16 hours a week doing 4 hour shifts. the place of emplyment allows mrs kajun to take as many breaks as needed, and are very sensitive to helping her do her job in comfort. (give them dates etc. )

Mrs Kajun is still disabled and still on all her medication and also recieves care from her husband who is her full time carer.

Thats all we can think of saying at this moment, any tips and advice on writing this letter will be greatly appreciated, as were terrified of saying the wrong thing.

Thank you

Thats all that is required. Personally when I did it I called DLA who took statement over phone. They then opened up an enquiry, I received a letter about 2 weeks later saying thank you for information, however no change in benefit.

And on a linked but unrelated matter it is good to hear that there are still employers out there who are supportive of people with health concerns who need breaks and consideration. Well done them and well done your wife for finding it. Hope it continues to go okay.:-D

Good Luck with DLA issue...I can understand your reticense in contacting them.