Nat West Customer - problems after their recent failures

mojo786
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4293 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

There is a petetions going round with regards to outsourcing.

If you agree with this then please sign.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/1649

Thank you

I will pop this in the Campaign (e-peitions) forum as well tosh :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ulsterbank accounts still not updated and they dont know when they will!

So are there still people without access to funds within accounts?

There is some information in the link below.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2012/07/ulster-bank-crisis-goes-on

missindebt - it would appear that Ulster Bank has still not resolved its problems - there is likely to be some advice in the link above that will help.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

From MSE by Guy Anker.

Ulster Bank's 1.9 million customers are still waiting for a return to normal banking, with no clear indication of when their nightmare will end.

The provider, part of the Royal Bank of Scotland Group, had hoped to restore full service by today, but this has not happened.

RELATED MSE GUIDES

Best Bank Accounts

£100 intro bonus or up to 3% cashback on bills

Cheap Loans

Borrow at 5.8% for £7.5k+

Top Savings Accounts

3.22% easy access, up to 4.25% fixed

Ulster has refused to say when it expects its problems to be resolved.

Millions of NatWest, RBS and Ulster Bank customers have been caught in the crisis which began on Wednesday two weeks ago.

Wages and other payments did not appear in customers' accounts as "technical problems" meant many balances were not updated for days. Swathes of money transfers have also not gone through.

What's more, huge numbers of employees haven't been paid where their company uses one of the RBS Group banks, regardless of their current account provider.

RBS and NatWest were "99% back to normal" early last week, while Think Banking, which uses RBS's payments system, returned to normal last Wednesday.

An Ulster statement today says: "Although the initial problem was rectified promptly, we were faced with a processing backlog which had to be cleared before we could begin to return the systems to normal.

"Unfortunately for our customers in Ireland, Ulster Bank payments follow in sequence after those of NatWest and RBS. This is because of the way the technology was setup at the time the three banks were integrated.

"Over this weekend, steady progress was made in starting to bring the Ulster Bank batch processing up to date. The key now is to catch up on the backlog.

"We target that customers should see their balances updating during the coming week. However, normal service will take some further time as our experience from dealing with the same issues in the UK suggests that there may be bumps along the road."

Charges refunded

The RBS Group has promised to refund all charges customers receive as a result of the debacle.

This promise applies to its customers and any customers of other banks affected.

It applies to charges the group levies, or those issued by a third party, such as a credit card provider where there was insufficient funds in a NatWest account to pay a direct debit.

RBS has not said when it will announce the reclaiming procedure. In the meantime, keep all evidence of charges incurred.

So are there still people without access to funds within accounts?

Accounts still not up to date. Bank is allowing withdrawels and branch is ok. Problem is not knowing where I stand. Looks like it may be resolved over next 2 days as credits from 27th June now showing and anytime banking now working. My salary still not showing !

Hi All,

This just out from Natwest

Working hard to put things right

Wednesday, 4 July, 2012 15:02

We have fixed the underlying technical issue and are now working hard to help our customers that have been affected. I wanted to get in touch to let you know what we are doing to deliver on our promises.

Putting things right

For the vast majority of our customers who have raised a concern we have resolved it straight away. Those that need more attention are being handled directly by our dedicated response team, who have so far resolved over 90% of the 21,000 cases received.

Reimbursing our customers

We made a promise that no customer will be left permanently out of pocket and we intend to keep it. We will automatically reimburse all of our customers' fees, charges and interest on their current accounts, credit cards, mortgages and loans where they have been charged or overcharged as a result of the incident.

Here to help

You can find the latest information, answers to common questions and help to resolve any outstanding queries by visiting Help Point, the dedicated area on our website. Or feel free to go into any of our branches, or call our 24/7 UK call centres free on 0800 656 9639 (minicom: 0800 404 6161).

Thank you for your understanding during this period and again we're sorry for any issues that we've caused.

Yours sincerely,

392_img_71414_7_output_IMAGE_1.gif

Chris Popple

Managing Director, Retail Banking

Calls may be recorded. 392_img_com_images_362_clear.gif392_img_com_images_362_clear.gifnatwest_sidebox1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

For info below...... I speak as I find, and they do appear to be trying

Phil

-----Original Message-----

To: [email protected]

Sent: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 23:04

Subject: Re: What we're doing to put things right

Thanks Gary

Your response is much appreciated, look forward to a fuller/complete answer as and when time allows. Appreciate this is a difficult subject to respond to 'off the cuff'

Hope you have a good weekend too

Best wishes

Phil

To: philmorley@

CC: Tudor, Joyce (Retail Compliance, UK Retail) ; Popple, Chris (Digital Channels, UK Retail) ; Cargill, Jan (RBS Secretariat)

Sent: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 22:57

Subject: RE: Fwd: What we're doing to put things right

Thanks for your email Phil.

I would be the wrong person to try and explain the detail of this to you but we will certainly get you an answer.

I could be wrong but I believe step one will be to enable our customers to obtain a free credit reference search at their request in the first instance in order to assess whether there has been any adverse impact with the credit reference agencies. And then, of course, look into the specific detail of each case.

I truly do not know the detail of the operational process, but as I say above we will absolutely get a response back to you on your question.

Hope you have a nice weekend.

Best regards

Gary

Supported by Technology Services

Sent: Friday, July 13, 2012 10:44 PM GMT Standard Time

To: Tudor, Joyce (Retail Compliance, UK Retail)

Cc: Cargill, Jan (RBS Secretariat); Stewart, Gary (RBS Secretariat)

Subject: Fwd: What we're doing to put things right

Sorry Joyce, forgot the server bumps your .com mail account. Copy also for Jan and Gary in the absence of Ailenn

Regards

Phil

To: [email protected]; [email protected]

CC: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

Sent: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 22:37

Stephen

Thank you for the e-mail, I am however intrigued by the following text;

'We're also working with all the main credit reference agencies to ensure that none of our customers' credit ratings will be adversely affected. '

I trust this does not appear too leading a question but........is RBS group now able to influence the reporting of consequential negative data to CRA's? I fail to see how you will ensure all customers' files are unaffected without influencing either 'a.n other' creditor or the reporting agency.

Please would you confirm how you intend to retain the integrity of your customers' credit reference files.

Kind regards

Phil Morley

To: philmorley

Sent: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 19:39

Subject: What we're doing to put things right

If this email is not displayed correctly, please click here.

Click here to add this email address to your safe list.

Your partial post code:

Please refer to the Security section in the footer of this email for information about this.

Dear Mr Morley,

We're writing to provide you with an update on the technical issues we faced recently.

Where we are now

The original issue has now been fixed and it remains our first priority to continue to help our customers. If you incurred fees or charges as a result of this issue, we will arrange a refund and inform you when this will take place. You don't need to do anything as these refunds will be provided automatically.

We're also working with all the main credit reference agencies to ensure that none of our customers' credit ratings will be adversely affected.

What went wrong?

The problem was caused when maintenance on IT systems in Edinburgh disrupted the regular processing of overnight transactions. It took time to resolve this problem, which in turn created a backlog, so many customers' account balances were incorrect between

19 June and 6 July.

What we're doing to make sure this won't happen again

We have commissioned an independent audit to investigate how the problem arose and we will make all the improvements necessary to ensure it doesn't happen again. We will make the findings public when they become available.

Here to help

You can find the latest information, answers to common questions and help to resolve any outstanding queries, including how you can be reimbursed by visiting Help Point, or feel free to go into any of our branches, or call our 24/7 UK call centres free on 0800 656 9639 (minicom: 0800 404 6161).

Thank you again for your patience and for bearing with us. If you have any questions or there's anything you'd like to know, we're always happy to help.

Yours sincerely,

Chris Popple

Managing Director, Retail Banking

About this email

Please do not reply to this email, the address this email was sent from is not monitored. If you need to speak to us about this email, please refer to the Contact Us section of our website.

This email is only intended for the above addressee. If you are sure you are not the intended recipient of this email and have received it in error, please delete the email.

This email is a service message designed to keep you informed of important information associated with your account. If you do not want to receive this type of message by email in the future please click here.

Please note that this will not opt you out of any online or mobile banking services you have subscribed to. If you wish to unsubscribe from any specific services such as online statements or mobile banking you will need to log on to natwest.com to unsubscribe.

Security

We take your security seriously and are always looking for ways to improve this. We have started to use the second half of your postcode as an additional security feature on our emails. This easily recognisable piece of information is an additional way to help you identify that this email is likely to be from us. However, you should still treat all emails that appear to be from us with caution and continue to follow the existing email security advice below and at natwest.com/security

If emails do not contain partial postcode please treat them with your usual caution. Emails may not contain partial postcode if you have not provided this information to us or if you have recently changed address. If so, please contact your branch to update your address. If you suspect it is a phishing email please forward it to [email protected]

Many internet users have recently been targeted through bogus emails by fraudsters claiming to be from the Bank. These emails ask customers to provide personal details or Banking Security Information in order to reactivate an account or verify an email address. Please be on your guard against emails that request any of your security details. If you receive an email like this you should not respond. Please remember that, for security reasons, apart from when you create them at registration or when you change your Internet PIN or Password we will only ever ask you to enter random characters from your Internet PIN and Password when you log on to this service. We would never ask you by email to enter (or record) these details and we would therefore request that you do not respond to email asking for this information. If you think an email that appears to be from us is actually a phishing email, please forward it to [email protected]

For further information about this and Internet Security in general, please refer to natwest.com/security

Legal

This email message is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please delete it from your computer.

The National Westminster Bank plc does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.

Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to avoid the transmission of viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that onward transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted by National Westminster Bank plc in this regard and the recipient should carry out such virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.

National Westminster Bank Plc, Registered in England No. 929027.

Registered office: 135 Bishopsgate, London EC2M 3UR.

Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority except for Consumer Credit where we are licensed by The Office of Fair Trading.

*** WARNING : This message originates from the Internet ***

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Registered in Scotland No. 90312. Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB

Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer. Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. The Royal Bank of Scotland plc does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent. The Royal Bank of Scotland plc may monitor e-mails for business and operational purposes. By replying to this message you give your consent to our monitoring of your email communications with us.

Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to avoid the transmission of viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted by The Royal Bank of Scotland plc in this regard and the recipient should carry out such virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.

Edited by Mike_hawk

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ho

To: phil

CC: Popple, Chris (Digital Channels, UK Retail)

Sent: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 22:42

Subject: RE: Fwd: What we're doing to put things right

Hi Phil,

I hope you are well and have had a good weekend.

I did follow your email up on the following Monday morning with a couple of my colleagues in our Retail business and was told that a response to your enquiry was being organised. I don't want to be unhelpful but I do not know the answer to your question and do not want to give you inaccurate advice.

Chris - further to your note to me last week, can you kindly look into the status of the reply to Mr Morley please?

Thanks

Gary

Supported by Technology Services

Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2012 10:23 PM GMT Standard Time

To: Stewart, Gary (RBS Secretariat)

Cc: Tudor, Joyce (Retail Compliance, UK Retail); Mcclure, Iain (Group Customer Relations); Hester, Stephen (Group Chief Executive)

Dear Gary

Are you in a position to respond yet?

I only ask as my own experience of RBS is one of left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

Is RBS capable of correcting negative exposure to CRA's of its, and others, clients consequentially damaged by the groups recent failings?

Regards

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

To: [email protected]

Sent: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:51

Subject: Re:

Dear Iain

At risk of repeating myself....... how does this ensure that none of your clients CRA files are affected?

Either you are able to notify only and attempt to ensure, or you are able to notify and ensure. The two effects of which cannot be considered compatible

The e-mail which brought this matter to my attention, and hence the question was explicit in it's statement to me;

'We're also working with all the main credit reference agencies to ensure that none of our customers' credit ratings will be adversely affected. '

Regards

Phil

Sent: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:56

Subject:

Dear Mr Morley

We are notifying the credit reference agencies to ensure that none of our customers' credit ratings will be adversely affected because of entries resulting from our technical issues. This will not influence credit reference agencies but merely correct errors.

Kind regards

Iain

Iain McClure

RBS Group Executive Office

Group Customer Relations

Tel: 0131 626 6732 | Fax: 0131 626 3195

Email: [email protected]

RBS Gogarburn | Business House F | 1st Floor | PO Box 1000 | Edinburgh | EH12 1HQ

Depot Code 045

Sent: 31 July 2012 10:28

To: Mcclure, Iain (Group Customer Relations)

Cc: Stewart, Gary (RBS Secretariat); Popple, Chris (Digital Channels, UK Retail)

Subject: Re:

Dear Iain

Thank you for taking the time to respond, please would you now provide an answer to the original questions posed [extract below]. 'Notify' and 'Ensure' are, by definition, worlds apart in their effect.

The banks e-mail advised that it would 'ensure', your response suggests it can only notify........ which is correct?

........is RBS group now able to influence the reporting of consequential negative data to CRA's? I fail to see how you will ensure all customers' files are unaffected without influencing either 'a.n other' creditor or the reporting agency.

Please would you confirm how you intend to retain the integrity of your customers' credit reference files.

Regards

Phil

Sent: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 9:59

Subject:

Our Ref: 163237

31 July 2012

Mr P Morley

Sent by email to phil

Dear Mr Morley

Thank you for your email dated 13 July 2012 to Stephen Hester, our Group Chief Executive. I am responding as a Case Manager within our Executive office. I would like to thank you for your patience while I have investigated this matter.

We are working closely with banks, building societies, credit card companies and the credit reference agencies to ensure that credit reference data is unaffected due to our technical issues. Our technical issues led to a number of our customers having adverse data applied to their credit reference files through no fault of their own.

For example, if the technical issues caused a customer to miss a payment this may have been applied to their credit reference file but this was not the fault of the customer.

We are, therefore, able to notify credit reference agencies and other relevant parties where these adverse entries have resulted from our technical issues so that they can be legitimately removed. Therefore, we are only rectifying errors rather than influencing credit reference agencies. Any adverse data caused by our technical issues should rightly be removed when identified as an error to the credit reference agencies or other relevant party.

I believe that this response is fair, based on the information available to me. However, if you think that I have misunderstood anything about your email; if you have any additional information that I have not considered; or if you would find it helpful to talk through my findings, please call me on 0131 626 6732 and I would be happy to discuss your case with you.

Ultimately, if we cannot reach an agreement, you have the right to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service but I hope that this will not be necessary. Should you wish to do so, you must contact the Ombudsman within six months from the date of this letter. I have enclosed a leaflet explaining what the Ombudsman do and how to contact them.

Yours sincerely

Iain McClure

Case Manager, Group Executive Office

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/consumer-leaflet.htm

Iain McClure

Group Customer Relations

Sent: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:10

Subject: RE:

Dear Mr Morley

I assure you that all errors, caused by our technical issues, affecting credit reports are being resolved with the credit reference agencies. Any suspected errors appearing subsequently can be investigated and corrected, if appropriate.

Kind regards

Iain

Iain McClure

Group Customer Relations

RBS Gogarburn | Business House F | 1st Floor | PO Box 1000 | Edinburgh | EH12 1HQ

Depot Code 045