Caught using someone else's Freedom pass, convicted - leave to appeal granted

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4242 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just trying to figure out her entitlement to a freedom pass.... thought it was for the over 60's or disabled?

Maybe the sister is 17, the Gran over 60, and the friend disabled? :???:

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Billy,

sorry but the ticket inspector did not make you say what you said.

Come on now, you have got to wise up.

You said it, was there a gun to your head or a knife to your back?

No.

You said what you said, only you.

NO-ONE MADE YOU SAY ANYTHING. Apart from you, please......

You are still blaming others, you obviously just don't get it.

Seriously, you go into court saying that (if you're given the chance) then you have no hope apart from an increased fine because you are not accepting the blame.

Absolutely right, the issue is that 'billy' used a pass that he was not entitled to in order not to pay.

Indeed, and it wasn't my intention to "muddy waters", only to highlight some of the "inconsequential little lies" that might make it harder for CAGgers to offer reliable advice as the goalposts shift, again.

OP (iambilly) : Stick to the truth, it's easier.

The RPI can't have made you use the pass fraudulently.

If you try to claim in court that the RPI "made you" say things that weren't true (so: you claim that the RPI made you admit to deliberately using the pass with intent to avoid a fare, or admit to using it more than once, when that wasn't really the case) : what do you think will happen if they trip you up in court? Truth now, is that really what happened, or just what you are now wishing you had said?

(If you got stressed when questioned by the RPI, don't expect court to be less stressful if you plead not guilty, with your evidence given on oath, subject to the penalties for perjury!)

Edited by BazzaS

I don't hold out much hope for Billy in court, unless his barrister friend represents him.

If he can't get it right here, doubt he will in court.

Billy will come across as someone not acceoting responsibility by blaming others and they will come down on him like a ton of bricks.

My concern was more with him messing up his life by getting a criminal record for something relatively minor.

I know he has abused the pass, stole, etc. but he is obviously immature.

However, he hasn't posted this morning, i'm taking it he has sorted something out with his barrister friend.

I would love to know the outcome, but doubt we will get the feed back.

Oh right thanks yeah I wish someone with good experience could suggest help

Hmm, what help are you actually looking for, Billy?

You have been given excellent advice by some well respected members of CAG. IMHO, it is the only advice they can give.

Admit your guilt, accept responsibility and for goodness sake - dont try to evade the situation as it is. Not as you want it to be.

If you want this to drag on - go to a higher court and be reported on. Then claim you are not guilty, look a fool and have this follow you around for the rest of your life.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi sorry for the late post. Go home pretty late from my meeting with the barrister yesterday.

I know what I have done is wrong and I deeply regret it, I don't know how many more times I can say it!

I was just trying to shift the blame in anyway possible to try an avoid a criminal record I know it is my fault!

I am grateful for most of the advice so far, I was just wondering if and people that went to court ect were on here is all.

Anyway the meeting went really well my barrister friend said pleading guilty was the best option for me, he also helped me to compose a letter informing the magistrate about my good personality ect.

I have sent the letter with my plea in the post and will be bringing a copy to hand to them personally.

The barrister guy said that it would be better to represent myself as it looks more sincerely and my best hope is that I get a down to earth magistrate.

He said I should admit everything, be humble and apologetic but my chances of avoiding a criminal conviction are quite low.

Edited by iambilly

Hi sorry for the late post. Go home pretty late from my meeting with the barrister yesterday.

I know what I have done is wrong and I deeply regret it, I don't know how many more times I can say it!

I was just trying to shift the blame in anyway possible to try an avoid a criminal record I know it is my fault!

I am grateful for most of the advice so far, I was just wondering if and people that went to court ect were on here is all.

Anyway the meeting went really well my barrister friend said pleading guilty was the best option for me, he also helped me to compose a letter informing the magistrate about my good personality ect.

I have sent the letter with my plea in the post and will be bringing a copy to hand to them personally.

The barrister guy said that it would be better to represent myself as it looks more sincerely and my best hope is that I get a down to earth magistrate.

He said I should admit everything, be humble and apologetic but my chances of avoiding a criminal conviction are quite low.

Which is pretty much what everyone has been advising.

I sincerely hope that you dont receive a criminal record, as does everyone who has contributed to your thread. So I wish you the best at your hearing and please, regardless of what happens - let us know how you get on :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I sincerely hope that you dont receive a criminal record, as does everyone who has contributed to your thread. So I wish you the best at your hearing and please, regardless of what happens - let us know how you get on :)

Thanks yeah for all the advice, has been very helpful and calmed me down a little.

The letter to the magistrate is a nice touch I think.

Of course I will let you know what happens.

He is guilty from what he has said, and is pleading guilty to a S5.3 charge of the RRA 1889 (as amended).

This will be a criminal conviction, and will show on both a basic and enhanced CRB disclosure.

That said, that means it will show on a CRB, and must be disclosed if applying for a job exempt from the Rhanilitation of Offenders provisions :,that doesn't mean "automatic bar from such posts".

Don't fib in court, don't fib on job applications ..... It isn't ideal and is a "speed bump" on your life's road ..... but it's not the end of the road!

Yes, but if you've got 20 people applying for a teaching post and 19 haven't got convictions that 1 person with isn't going to get a look in.

Unfortunately true, but just as in every other facet of our lives, our own actions will have consequences.

On a side issue, Billy, has your barrister friend talked you through how to address the mags, as in sir or madam I believe it is, so you look as respectful as possible?

And if I might be so bold, they may not be in the first flush of youth and might appreciate yes instead of yeah. Just my view of course.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

On a side issue, Billy, has your barrister friend talked you through how to address the mags, as in sir or madam I believe it is, so you look as respectful as possible?

And if I might be so bold, they may not be in the first flush of youth and might appreciate yes instead of yeah. Just my view of course.

My best, HB

Yeah we went through all of that, my appearance and demeaner could make the difference in a case like this.

I am generally quite well spoken and polite so that shouldn't really be an issue I hope

Yes, but if you've got 20 people applying for a teaching post and 19 haven't got convictions that 1 person with isn't going to get a look in.

Agreed, if all else is equal it might be a deciding factor.

Yet, what of 2 people, one of whom has a conviction as a young / immature person, who has clearly learnt from it and turned their life around?

Better if it wasn't a conviction for violence or fraud ; but I'd hope the employer would look at the nature of the offence, and the individual's conduct since.

Otherwise, for any conviction, the effect is to say: you might as well become a career criminal.

There must be a middle ground : protecting the vulnerable, while allowing for errors of judgement while still "not fully cooked" (to borrow a phrase from "Judge Judy").

Yeah very true, but if I was an employer and saw a criminal conviction, I know what I would think, and its not good.

Then this whole process gives you an opportunity to grow up.

One: consider how you got here in the first place, and what you learn from that.

Two: reflect on the effect of being spotted telling "little lies", and the risks to how you are perceived when a whole bunch of separate little lies is considered.

Three: you've said how you think some employers will react.

This isn't the end of your life : and one day you might be in the position where you have to decide on who you want to employ : remember how you felt, and help it guide you.

You face a choice:

Continue to look for loopholes / ways out of responsibility, or accept responsibility and get on with your life

Decide if you want never again to face the criminal justice system, or say "woe is me, it wasn't my fault, but I may as well be hung for a sheep than a lamb" and re-offend,

Set an example of how someone can make a mistake, get their life back on track, and later be a good example for someone else who has made a mistake, or set an example of a loser who doesn't learn from their errors.

Life might look bleak, but it isn't. You can however choose to make it bleak, by not "manning up / growing up", at which point it will become a self-fulfilling prophesy.