Pcso powers and name and address

jacobina
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4310 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was making a return in a well known high st store with a valid receipt.

When the transaction was closing the assistant advised that I would be reimbursed with credit vouchers as that is how I had paid originally.

I said I'd paid by credit card so questioned the receipt.

The item was cancelled off the system and taken with the receipt

(which now has the item crossed thru as part of the refund process)

to the manager who delayed matters for about 30mins before appearing to explain as I had paid by credit vouchers I would have to accept cv's.

I explained that I had originally paid by credit card but then exchanged the item for the item I now have

and in the production of the new receipt it was saying i had paid by cvs when in actual fact it was an exchange.

After a further delay of at least another 20mins whilst the manager disappeared again I said I couldn't wait any longer

and by mutual agreement with the assistant present said I would find the transaction on the credit card statement and come back.

I took the item with me and left my name and telephone no for the manager as he still had the receipt and asked for his name as a reference for my return.

It eventually nievely occurred to me that the delays were deliberate so as to involve a pcso....

About 15mins later I exited another shop to be confronted by a pcso who wanted a word re fraud!

He had the store detective with him.

I spent another 30mins explaining the circumstances , I was accussed of not having a receipt which was apparently the basis for the pcso questioning me.

By this time a runner' was back and forth to the store and he came back with my receipt which showed the items crossed through...

So, it now looks like I have no valid receipt!

The pcso eventually let me go on my way, but not before taking my name and address.

Does he have a right to this?

If so, what happens to my details within the police system?

I intend to go back to the store, but should I also put a complaint in writing or will it make matters worse?

I Would really appreciate some advice

Edited by jacobina

My view on these plastic police is somewhat one sided!

I don't even give my personal details to the official police, least of all some unqualified member of the public in fancy dress who hasn't sworn an oath to the Queen.

It's done now, so pointless fretting about it, a complaint to the store manager would be my first action, and if this is a well know high street company then all the better as I doubt they would want bad publicity.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

My view on these plastic police is somewhat one sided!

I don't even give my personal details to the official police, least of all some unqualified member of the public in fancy dress who hasn't sworn an oath to the Queen.

It's done now, so pointless fretting about it, a complaint to the store manager would be my first action, and if this is a well know high street company then all the better as I doubt they would want bad publicity.

I think that's pretty harsh given the fact they have to do their training like Police Officers do, though the content is different. They do not hold the office of constable so do not need to take an oath, otherwise they would be Police Officers.

Anyway, back on topic. I believe your issue should be with the store and its manager not the PCSO. It would have been the managerexplaining the facts to the PCSO who in turn has to act and did so by requiring your name and address. You did the right thing providing your name and address otherwise it could have dragged on a lot longer and ended in them detaining you for the 30 mins until a police officer arrived.

If i was you id complain to the stores' head office as the manager appears a joke

I'd focus on the issue, with the store.

I work alongside PCSOs, they were obviously called by the store to assist. They asked you for your details, you cooperated with them and provided them. As previous poster says, you done the right thing. The PCSOs could have detained you (for I believe 30 minutes) and called for a regular PC to attend and take details.

Chances are, your details will remain in the PCSOs pocket note book and nothing more will cone of this!

Sad that the store treated you like this. I'd definitely concentrate on complaining to head office about this incident.

It never rains but it pours...

Can we have the name of the store please

Marks & Spencer! The store manager has apologised unconditionally and is internally looking into it, however I am going to put this formally in writing to them as it has caused a great deal of stress and I feel very aggrieved. I want to know who is responsible for erroneous information resulting in me being accussed of fraud.....

Any other help always gratefully received.

JacobinaPcso's

This isn't an ordinary breach of human rights, this is an M&S breach of human rights!

Definitely get this put in writing to them, and don't let it drop until you are satisfied with the outcome.

Your local paper might run a story on this too, in your letter of complaint ask for the area managers details, and inform the store manager that if this isn't resolved within 8 weeks you will escalate it to the area manager to deal with.

If you have the PCSO's details lodge a formal complaint with whatever station he was working out of.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi

Have to agree with Bazooka Boo on this that M&S breached your human rights by the Store Managers Actions who is employed by M&S.

1. The Store Manager without informing you accused you of Fraud and would have called the Police who inturn deployed a PCSO to deal with this.

2. The Store Manager untilmately works for M&S so M&S are responsible for there employees actions.

3. This situation arose due to the incompetence of the M&S Staff that dealt with the Refund Transaction and returned your reciept after the refund with the incorrect information on that reciept. If the reciept had been correctly dealt with as per M&S Refund Policy your issue would never have happened.

NOTE: If the refund and the fraud allegation were done at the same store this then raises the issue of the competence of the Management of that store due to two incidents within a short period at the same store and one of those incidents M&S accusing you of fraud due to their complete incompetence.

If you are going to complain make sure everything is in writing (always keep a paper trail especially with what they accused you off) and if you do write to the store always CC the document to M&S Head Office and also forward a copy to them.

Also ask for copies of the following document:

1. Refund Policy and Procedure.

2. M&S Equality Policy and Procedure.

3. Complaint Policy and Procedure.

4. Fraud Policy and Procedure.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 3 weeks later...

thank you all. I have written letters of CEO at M & S and Professional Standards at Essex Police. I have had acknowledgements from both and am waiting for the many questions to both organisations to be answered.

Thankyou stu007, I will ask for those documents after I have received the responses. Hadn't thought of that!

That is a move in the right direction at least, who knows you may even get some gift vouchers from M&S by way of an apology?

Especially if they want to keep it out of the papers.