• Tweets

• Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback. EDIT: I guess that the case I refer to is only one case and it may never happen again and the strategy not to appeal is still the best strategy even in this event, but I really did find the outcome of that case, not only extremely annoying but also worrying. Let's hope other judges are not quite so narrow minded and don't get fixated on one particular issue as FTMDave alluded to.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
    • Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure that I agree the reason why a barrister would say that, only to get new customers, I'm sure he must have had professional experience in this area that qualifies him to make that point. 🙂 In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Is it possible that a PPC (claimant) could refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
    • Well barristers would say that in the hope that motorists would go to them for advice -obviously paid advice.  The problem with appealing is at least twofold. 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver.  And in a lot of cases the last thing the keeper wants when they are also the driver is that the parking company knows that. It makes it so much easier for them as the majority  of Judges do not accept that the keeper and the driver are the same person for obvious reasons. Often they are not the same person especially when it is a family car where the husband, wife and children are all insured to drive the same car. On top of that  just about every person who has a valid insurance policy is able to drive another person's vehicle. So there are many possibilities and it should be up to the parking company to prove it to some extent.  Most parking company's do not accept appeals under virtually any circumstances. But insist that you carry on and appeal to their so called impartial jury who are often anything but impartial. By turning down that second appeal, many motorists pay up because they don't know enough about PoFA to argue with those decisions which brings us to the second problem. 2] the major parking companies are mostly unscrupulous, lying cheating scrotes. So when you appeal and your reasons look as if they would have merit in Court, they then go about  concocting a Witness Statement to debunk that challenge. We feel that by leaving what we think are the strongest arguments to our Member's Witness Statements, it leaves insufficient time to be thwarted with their lies etc. And when the motorists defence is good enough to win, it should win regardless of when it is first produced.   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Orange Price Rise, Failure to reply to SAR, and many other complaints...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3614 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys...

Basically, since i upgraded my contract back in march 2011, i have had no signal. I moved a day or two after i upgraded, and my new area has no signal.

I called orange, and they basically said "tough sh.." so ive been in contract, paying for the past 16 months for a phone i cannot use. O n 29th may i signed into my account, and found out my price had been increased! - I was not informed of this... apparently texts were sent, but i didnt get one...

So, as the text would be stored on Orange systems, I have put a SAR request in... under the DPA, Orange are not entitled to request more information than absolutely necessary in order to process the request...

this has been going on since may 29th, and no luck is progressing , ive refered my case to CISAS...

what i want to know is Orange has my details, account address, bank details ETC, so therefore my SAR request below would stand correct? below are last few messages...

I recieved a letter in the post this morning from orange saying that they want a copy of a utility bill showing my full address (Orange could provide me with this) and a copy of my passport (they are already well aware of my ID) - their letter also states they will not deal with my SAR until i complete their form... which i do not intend to do, but the letter also states "A fee for the sum of £10 made payable to Orange (we are entitled under the DPA to charge a fee of this ammount)"

on their actual SAR form it states "Under the DPA 1998 you have the right to ask if we process your personal data and if so to be provided with a copy of that information. Please complete this application form (typed if possible) and return it to us together with a payment of £10 (cheques should be made payable to Everything Everywhere t/a Orange. We will reply within 40 days of reciept of the completed form and fee"

now please correct me if i am wrong on my possition that my email started the 40 day limit on 13th June 2012, as i gave them permission to debit my bank / card with the £10 fee...

my CISAS complaint does not revolve mainly on the price increase, but the numerous complaints i had with orange for poor broadband service, lack of billing, failure to provide service, and failure to reply to complaints... The CISAS have accepted a previous message from Orange as a "Deadlock letter" as Amanda has stated in it " We are happy for you to seek independant advice on this matter and we will not reply further" but wont actually issue a deadlock letter...

I intend to take ORange to Small Claims court, so my SAR (see how detailed my request is below) will be my main weapon against them, with the numerous complaints ETC I filed with them.

i also like the fact that orange wont respond to my complaint for lack of service as she cannot "locate my previous correspondance" (totally rude, and absolutely irresponsible in my view)... - but it all goes in my favour with CISAS...

I have asked for CISAS to basically give me £120 (contract payments for mobile service not being recieved) and a formal letter of appology from orange for lack of support / reply to complaints, and a termination of my account with no fee. I feel this is well below what i am entitled to. I have put no claim in for damages ETC... so would you guys say this is would go through well?

if CISAS cant deal with it appropriately, I will take it to small claims, and the SAR will be key with "Cell Data" showing i have been unablee to use my phone in my home area.

To: executive.office @orange.co.uk; customer.services @orange.co.uk; correspondence @everythingeverywhere.com;

Date: Thursday, 14 June 2012, 2:22

Amanda, YET AGAIN you appear to have show absolute disregard for my comments, totally ignoring the main points of my complaint with Orange. As stated in my correspondance dated 12-6-12. Please find this message attached, perhaps you would take the time to actually read this message instead of simply replying this time... UTCCR

As per UK Legislation, I would expect a reply from your MD in response to your UNFAIR TERM in your CONSUMER CONTRACT. This means I would expect a reply as per why you feel clause 4.3.1 would remain valid. Any also, why, When GC 9.6 states that you must inform me of my right to leave without penalty, and about the price increase at least a month in advance orange failed to do so... and is in fact failing to allow me to leave, despite it being my legal right.

And incase you are not aware of UNFAIR TERMS IN CONSUMER CONTRACTS REGULATIONS... Section 5 and Schedule 2 of the UTCCR sets out a non-exhaustive list of terms considered unfair:

l (i) irrevocably binding the consumer to terms with which he had no real opportunity of becoming acquainted before the conclusion of the contract;

Firstly - Were your T's and C's read out to me over the phone when i upgraded? Was i given the chance to view your terms and conditions?... Well... NO, so appears that the above apply's to me...

l (j) enabling the seller or supplier to alter the terms of the contract unilaterally without a valid reason which is specified in the contract;

This also appears to apply in this case... considering your T's and C's do not state anywhere any of the following terms: RPI, Rate of Inflation, (EVEN THE WORD INFLATION), despite your claims that your T's and C's allow for you to

l (l) providing for the price of goods to be determined at the time of delivery or allowing a seller of goods or supplier of services to increase their price without in both cases giving the consumer the corresponding right to cancel the contract if the final price is too high in relation to the price agreed when the contract was concluded;

Well, Well. Appears your determining your prices at time of delivery... and not allowing me the right to cancel the contract? So we are three for three here... I have actually provided a link to UTCCR legislation previously, but just for your convenience... here is infact another link with the same legislation... I would also expect your reply in relation to your unfair TERM in your Consumer contract... oft.gov.uk/about-the-oft/legal-powers/legal/unfair-terms/ Could I also draw your attention to the following document: orangeworld.co.uk/p/helpandcosts/eeterms You make it clear on your own website, that my price would not change... I feel that this, being

an advertisement, should stand, therefore aking it clear that (TO QUOTE YOUR WiORDS): "Don't worry though, nothing else changes, you'll still get the great service from Orange at the price that you're paying today." Hardly appears to be true though, does it... As you increased my price... *Note the document URL too... eeterms... would appear that this document forms a part of your Terms and Conditions... (Also, this document is attached, for your convenience.)

Also, You have failed to reply to the fact of the number of complaints I have already raised with Orange as per lack of service. These complaints date back until the date of the commencement of contract.

I also draw attention to my previous correspondance in response to your CLAIM that you sent myself a text message informing me of changes to my terms and conditions... I RECEIVED NO SUCH MESSAGE. THEREFORE YOU DID NOT INFORM ME OF ANY CHANGE... Also, You claim that I had chance to check the changes on my monthly bill. YOU DO NOT NOTIFY ME WHEN MY BILL IS READY TO VIEW. So again, did not inform me of any changes.

Subject Access Report

I also repeat my request, under the data protection act for a copy of all information you hold about myself, to be provided to myself. This includes all call recordings, call transcripts, account notes ETC... Please supply the information about me - I am entitled to make such a request under the Data Protection Act 1998 - relating to myself and my account(s). Please would you also tell me the logic involved in any automated decisions you have made about me. If you need any more information from me, so as to allow you to perform this subject access report, please let me know as soon as possible. Also, if you do not normally deal with these requests, please pass this letter to your Data Protection Officer or another appropriate officer within your organisation. I am sure that I do not need to remind you that the act covers both facts and opinions about myself as an individual, as well as information regarding the intentions of your organisation towards myself. The request should therefore cover any internal/external memos, emails, faxes and any other correspondence or readily accessible data held on computer by your organisation which could be classified as 'personal data', in addition to any boxed paper files. * Please note I have been an Orange customer for in excess of ten years... So dig deep.

Also, Whilst we are on the subject access report (also requested on the telephone over a week ago) I am expecting all information held by Everything Everywhere as a company - so therefore T-Mobile, and Orange, ETC... Not simply Orange. (I was also a T-Mobile customer for quite a while.)

Also, I am well aware that Mobile phone companies keep a record of their customers' "cell data" - the rough locations from which calls are made and text messages sent, established on the basis of where their masts are situated. I know that they are retained for at least a year and accessible to public officials, in particular the police, according to the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000. Please ensure all of this data is included in my Subject Access Report. Also with the subject access report, i would also like the following: a copy of the information in permanent form; an explanation of any technical or complicated terms; any information the organisation has about where they got my information from; a description of the information, the purposes for processing the information and who the organisation is sharing the information with; and the logic involved in any automated decisions.

PREVIOUS COMPLAINTS NOT FOLLOWED UP

Also, What is happening about previous complaints not being followed up? 01789 0000000 My Bills for this service? WHERE ARE THEY? YOU MUST SUPPLY THEM, AS PER OFCOM RULES?

And finally it may be very helpful if instead of using a template letter, you actually re-read my previous correspondance, and respond accordingly... Yours, One very unhappy Orange customer Mr. Wayne P

Date: Friday, 15 June 2012, 14:41

Case Reference: 1xxxxxx Account Number: xxxxx

Please respond to executive.office @orange.co.uk

Dear Mr Pxxxx,

Thank you for your email dated 14 June 2012.

In relation to your dissatisfaction at the price increase, we do not consider that this dispute falls within the remit of CISAS and will not therefore be issuing a deadlock letter. As we have fully explained our position we will not be communicating further with you regarding this issue.

Your request for information held is acknowledged and a Subject Access Request (SAR) form has been sent to you at your account address. Although we do hold information, such as your address and bank account details; your request will not be fulfilled unless you comply with the details requested.

Copies of your Broadband bills should be available via the Your Account section of the Orange website. However, I have forwarded your request to a colleague in this area of the business. You should expect to be contacted by them directly within 7 days.

Whilst I acknowledge this may not be the response you had expected, I trust the above fully clarifies our position.

Yours sincerely

Amanda Elsigood Executive Office

To: executive.office @orange.co.uk; customer.services orange.co.uk; correspondence everythingeverywhere.com;

Date: Saturday, 16 June 2012, 2:42

Case Reference: xxxx Account Number: xxxxx

As I outlined in my official complaint, I have already been in contact with both CISAS and Ofcom already. You should have recieved a letter from CISAS within the last day or so, Attached is a copy of the letter I recieved.

Also on the case of the Subject Access Report - should you wish for me to complete a form for such a request, i believe this is contrary to the data protection act. but all the same, send me a copy of your form and process for such a SAR via PDF format to my email address...

Also, I would like to remind you, as per current legislation, your 40 day time limit began on the date i wrote my initial SAR request... ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/the_guide/principle_6/access_to_personal_data.aspx

Also, YET AGAIN, i believe that ORANGE are breaking legislation... by not making it clear that IT IS NOT MANDATORY FOR ME TO COMPLETE YOUR SAR FORM... as my request previously made is a valid request...

Can I require individuals to use a specially designed form when making subject access requests? No. Many organisations produce subject access request forms, and you may invite individuals to use such a form as long as you make it clear that this is not compulsory and you do not try to use this as a way of extending the 40-day time limit for responding. Standard forms can make it easier for you to recognise a subject access request and make it easier for the individual to include all the details you might need to locate the information they want. However, any request in writing must be considered as a valid request, whatever the format.

So as you will see from the attached document, this case is now in the hands of CISAS.

You have my formal CISAS request, along with all relevant documentation to verify my identifcation (by means of my account) and you also have my permission to add your SAR fee (£10 maximum as per UK legislation) to my bank account / Orange bill ETC... but I expect a full and complete reply to my SAR request by no later than 24th JULY 2012 to be at my home!

I would also like to make clear the following point: For organisations subject to Freedom of Information legislation, it is an offence to make any amendments with the intention of preventing its disclosure.

Also bear in mind the following facts regards to a Subject Access Report: The Act allows you to confirm two things before you are obliged to respond to a request. First, you can ask for enough information to judge whether the person making the request is the individual to whom the personal data relates. This is to avoid personal data about one individual being sent to another, accidentally or as a result of deception. The key point is that you must be reasonable about what you ask for. You should not request lots more information if the identity of the person making the request is obvious to you. This is particularly the case, for example, when you have an ongoing relationship with the individual.

As I have made clear previously, by you disclosing information about my account to me over email over the course of our conversations... it would be concluded that you are well aware of my identification, as as your response will be the the address you hold on file for my account: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xxxxx, xxx,xxx there is no danger of the information being recieved by any third party.

I now make it clear yet again, that you should consider my subject access report request filed (as per the data protection act) and fee paid as you hold both my bank debit card information to take a card payment, and bank details to debit my account for the fee...

Should my request not be honoured within the 40 day limit imposed by the DPA then damages will be sought via legal proceedings.

Yours, Wayne Pxxxxxx

Quite amazing to see such attitude from a CEO's office.

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

Quite amazing to see such attitude from a CEO's office.

Well Martin, Trust me when i say that this isnt the best of the collection of replies I have recieved...

I will spend some time on my email and copy the email comms so far out, but the site needs me to remove hyperlinks / email addresses (im guessing spam prevention?)

(also copied to executive.office @ everythingeverywhere)

Subject:

Please Terminate my account as per clause 4.3 of T&C's

Wayne Pearsall (mmmmmmmmmmmm)

To:

customer.services @orange.co.uk;

Cc:

Bcc:

Date:

Tuesday, 29 May 2012, 10:10

Mr Wayne

(my address)

29th May 2012

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Complaint Letter

Orange Pay Monthly contracts for Mobile Number:

07xxxxxxxxxx

I wish to make a formal complaint.

I currently have a contract with Orange for the service on the previously mentioned number and was recently made aware to a raise in the price of my mobile phone tariff in February 2012 – only when I logged into my online account to check my bills on 29th May 2012.

Upon speaking to members of your “Customer Services” team I have found out that you sent a number of text messages to customers informing them of the price rise. I did not receive this notification...

I therefore draw your attention to clauses 4.3 and 4.3.1 of the “Terms and conditions for the supply of Orange Network Services” which you are using to remove my right under our agreement to cancel the service in response to your intended change in our agreement.

4.3 You may also terminate your Contract if we vary its terms, resulting in an excessive increase in the Charges or changes that alter your rights under this Contract to your detriment. In such cases you would need to give us at least 14 days written notice prior to your Billing Date (and within one month of us telling you about the changes). However this option does not apply if:

1. we have increased the Charges by an amount equal to or less than the percentage increase in the All Items Index of Retail Prices published by the Central Statistical Office in the Monthly Digest of Statistics in any 12 month period;

I spoke from a lady from the Upgrades Dept. before being passed to a Catherine Barnes –Retentions Dept – Team 36. The lady I spoke to before speaking to Catherine informed me that I must be one of the many people who didn't receive one of your millions of text messages to its customers.

I have been informed that I have a £133.21 termination charge – I am unwilling to pay this termination fee, as in respect of clause 4.3, I legally have a right to terminate my contract with yourselves – based on a price increase being detriment to myself.

Please provide with me with the publication referred to in clause 4.3.1 which is clearly specified in the agreement we have entered into. I will not accept any RPI statistic other than the stated “All Items Index of Retail Prices published by the Central Statistical Office in the Monthly Digest of Statistics”.

If you are unable to provide this publication please cancel my contract immediately and effective from the date of receipt of this letter or explain your reasons for not doing so. Unless this matter is resolved I intend to escalate my complaint with the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme on the basis of this and further issues, including but not limited to what I believe is a breach of OFCOM general condition 9.3,

GC 9.3 Where the Communications Provider intends to modify a condition in a contract with a Consumer which is likely to be of material detriment to the Consumer, the Communications Provider shall:

(a) provide the Consumer with at least one month’s notice of its intention detailing the proposed modification; and

(b) inform the Consumer of the ability to terminate the contract without penalty if the proposed modification is not acceptable to the Consumer

Please confirm receipt of this communication and assure me that you are looking into this matter urgently.

I look forward to your response in writing. Please do not call unless it is to discuss an offer which you have previously made in writing,

Yours faithfully,

Mr Wayne xxxxx

REPLY FROM ORANGE

Subject:

Your query is being looked at

Dontreply @orange.co.uk (dontreply @orange.co.uk)

To:

xxxxxxxx;

Cc:

Bcc:

Date:

Tuesday, 29 May 2012, 10:12

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Orange. Please be advised that we are experiencing unusually high volumes of emails and are currently taking 7 days to respond. Thank you for your patience.

Occasionally we might give you a call, in order to answer your query more efficiently.

You can always check or manage your account online at orange.co.uk/your account.

Please do not reply to this email.

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER

This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended for the above-named person(s). If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately, delete this email from your system and do not disclose or use for any purpose.

We may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current legislation. We have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, but it remains your responsibility to ensure that viruses do not adversely affect you.

Everything Everywhere Limited

Registered in England and Wales

Company Registered Number: 02382161

Registered Office Address: Hatfield Business Park, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL10 9BW

FOLLOWED BY

"Correspondence, OUK"

To:
        xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent:
        Wednesday, 6 June 2012, 9:46

Subject:
        Orange Customer Relations

Case Reference: xxxxx

Dear Mr P,

Further to your recent correspondence I write to provide our position in the matter raised.

We have reviewed the basis for your complaint, namely the price increase which came into force at the start of 2012. I confirm that the rise is less than the published RPI figure and therefore is within the limits provided for within the service agreement terms and condition. In the circumstances the rise does not allow you to end your contract early.

The publications regarding the Retail Price Index are now published by The Office for National Statistics. The Office for National Statistics took over the role of The Central Statistical Office. You can find details of the Retail Price Index on their website here:

xxxxx ons.gov.uk/ons/publications/all-releases.html?definition=tcm:77-22462%3F

The CISAS alternative dispute resolution service is not able to consider complaints or claims of this nature which relate to the fairness of the price increase. I confirm Orange is Ofcom regulated, and the price increase has been implemented in a way that abides by all the relevant legislation.

Whilst I appreciate the above may not be to your satisfaction, I trust our final position in this matter is clear.

Yours sincerely

Liam Walker

Customer Relations Specialist

Obviously, I didnt feel that this reponse was actually acceptable, so I replied with the following, attaching a document with some CISAS case studies:

Subject:

Re: Orange Customer Relations REF: 1963192

Wayne

To:

Correspondence @everythingeverywhere.com; customer.services @orange.co.uk; executive.office @orange.co.uk;

Cc:

Bcc:

Date:

Thursday, 7 June 2012, 3:54

Dear Mr L Walker / Executive Team,

REF: xxxxxxxxxxxx / Account 07xxxxxxxxxx

I would like to draw your attention to your terms and conditions once again...

Clause 4.3.1 DOES NOT STATE that any relevant successor for The Central Statistical Office may be used to relate to a price increase... Also I draw attention to the fact that your T's and C's do not infact refer to RPI at any point... I would request that, should your T's and C's which stood when i "signed" my contract for my mobile telephone do infact state this... then please do highlight the relevant parts...

4.3.1 we have increased the Charges by an amount equal to or less than the percentage increase in the All Items Index of Retail Prices published by the Central Statistical Office in the Monthly Digest of Statistics in any 12 month period; "

Again. Please explain which part of that clause actually states that the Office for National Statistics is allowed to produce this document. I hope that I am making my stance on this matter clear. As per GC 9.6 of Ofcom regulations. Orange [AKA Everything Everywhere] should have informed me one month prior to any relevant price rises... This was not the case.

Communications Act 2003 - General Conditions - should you need to refer to them can be viewed here: xxxx stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/telecoms/ga/general-conditions.pdf

9.6 The Communications Provider shall:

(a) give its Subscribers adequate notice not shorter than one month of any modifications likely to be of material detriment to that Subscriber;

(b) allow its Subscribers to withdraw from their contract without penalty upon such notice; and

1. at the same time as giving the notice in condition 9.6 (a) above, shall inform the Subscriber of its ability to terminate the contract without penalty if the proposed modification is not acceptable to the Subscriber.

The Central Statistical Office was closed down in 1996... It is not my fault that your Legal Team cannot update your own T's and C's. When I took out my contract, OVER THE TELEPHONE. I was not presented with T's and C's... I was told that My contract would remain at £7.50 a month for the fixed term of 24 months. This to include my minutes, texts, and data. I am well aware, however, that your T's and C's do not refer to the Retail Price Index, RPI, OR Inflation at any point. The closest measure being Clause 4.3.1 quoted above. How would anybody clearly link this clause to inflation, considering inflation is not mentioned anywhere within your

I have requested the document refered to in clause 4.3.1 of your own T's and C's to be presented to myself... This has not been done... Your link (xxxx ons.gov.uk/ons/publications/all-releases.html?definition=tcm:77-22462%3F) refers to the Consumer Price Indices, published by the National Statistics Office - Again, your T's and C's do not refer to either this document or measure - Please re-read your clause 4.3.1.

1. we have increased the Charges by an amount equal to or less than the percentage increase in the All Items Index of Retail Prices published by the Central Statistical Office in the Monthly Digest of Statistics in any 12 month period; "

You cannot LEGALLY decide to re-write your T's and C's retrospectively to suit your own needs.

I called your team up on 29th May and raised a complaint. I have not recieved a reply to my calls as of yet... And again feel this is very poor customer service. Much like when I moved my landline telephone service from yourselves in november (01789 xxxxxxx) I requested a copy of ALL bills to be sent to myself, Since Orange discontinued my online account access - therefore not allowing me to access billing...

Therefore, Considering that the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme has actually infact ruled in favour of a number of customers about my exact complaint,

one example being the following (case study five of the attached file):

Contract termination: price increase is a change

C was given notice of increased charges by T. C made several attempts to end his mobile phone

contracts but T did not respond. T denied that the increased charges constituted a change to the

contract between C and T justifying termination. T had no record of receiving C’s four letters, two

of which were delivered by recorded delivery

The Adjudicator found a price increase is a material change to the detriment of C allowing

C to terminate the contracts. On the balance of probabilities T had received the letters from

C. T was ordered to refund C all monthly sums paid since the first attempt to terminate the

contracts

Again, MY MONTHLY CONTRACTUAL PRICE WAS £7.50... MY NEW CONTRACTUAL PRICE IS £8.14.

Some simple maths will show you that in this case EVEN IF clause 4.3.1 WAS valid, it would not apply to me, since 64p price increase is greater than a 8.5% price increase. (7.5p being 1% of my initial telephone contract.) = I believe you are refering to RPI standing at 5.4%...

I know that you believe that Orange terms and conditions include a clause for allowing yourselves to increase charges up to RPI, however, it is my legal right as a consumer (according to Ofcom rules) to be able to exit my contract without penalty, if that price increase is levied as it IS of material detriment to me, with myself being on a fixed income. Also, Orange is legally obliged to inform me of this right to exit penalty free, when such an increase in charges is announced, as per GC 9.6. Orange has failed to inform me both of the increase and of this right and therefore, failed to comply with Ofcom rules / regulations.

I am therefore forwarding ALL relevant information on this case to OFCOM and CISAS and would like to re-iterate my absolute disregard for Orange in this matter. Along with your poor customer service skills, your total disregard for consumers is absolutely appaling. From what I have read in regards to this price increase, the only notification any consumer recieved was a text message, which cannot be guarenteed for delivery. It shows total disrespect and outright contempt for your customers that you did not have the decency to at least write or email, including full details of the rise.

I understand it is my legal right to have a response to my request from Orange within 8 weeks of receiving this letter. I am determined to see this through to the very end. And should a suitable conclusion not be presented (in my case termination of my account, with PAC code for my mobile number without penalty) I will be taking this matter to the Small Claims court.

Yours,

Wayne P

I think that this stirred a few of their feathers though, because the next reply was from somebody “more senior” - our Friendly “Amanda”

"Executive, Office"

To:
        xxxxxxxxx

Sent:
        Friday, 8 June 2012, 9:31

Subject:
        Orange

Case Reference: xxxxx

Account Number: xxxxxxxx

Dear Mr P,

Thank you for your email dated 7 June 2012 regarding our recent price increase.

You advise that, contrary to information provided to you, you are eligible to disconnect number 07xxxxxxxxxx without penalty. I acknowledge the comments you have made in relation to the Price Increase and confirm that a text message advising of this was sent to every Pay Monthly Personal account.

Whilst I appreciate that you say you knew nothing of this until viewing your 26 May 2012 bill online, the price increase was evident from your 26 February 2012 bill. Our records show that the increase in your monthly Service Plan was not queried until 29 May 2012.

As requested, disconnection of number 07xxxxxxxxxx can be arranged and a Port Authorisation Code (PAC) issued. Unfortunately, buy out charges will apply and this is currently £129.37. However, this will reduce daily as you progress through your agreement. Please contact me on 0870 8700862 or at the above email address to advise whether or not you wish to disconnect. Our office hours are 09:00 to 17:30, Monday to Friday.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

Amanda Elsigood

Executive Office

Obviously, this was nota good enough response. As I do not feel it appropriate to charge mea fee to leave such a poor service... that they have in factincreased the price on...

so my next reply:

Subject:

Re: Orange - "The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999"

Wayne P

To:

executive.office @orange.co.uk; customer.services @orange.co.uk; correspondence @everythingeverywhere.com;

Cc:

Bcc:

Date:

Friday, 8 June 2012, 12:31

Thefirst notification of any price rise I recieved was when I viewed mybills on the 29th May. The law states that you MUST give me a minumumof 1 months notice of any intended alteration to my T's and C's. andCondition 9.6 of previously supplied ofcom regulations state that Iam able to exit my agreement with yourselves without penalty.

EVENYOUR OWN T's and C's state the same in condition 4.3. I view thatyour condition 4.3.1 does not stand in any case for the followingreasons.

a)I consider it to be in breach of the following legislation: "TheUnfairTerms in Consumer Contracts Regulations1999"

b)The Central Office for Statistics closed in 1996. Whereas you arestanding by your judgement that the "ONS" produce a"Simular" publication, it is a DIFFERENT publication,Produced under a DIFFERENT NAME, by a DIFFERENT organisation. Thatwould be like saying "My new Vauxhall Meriva runs on Unleadedpetrol and has a 1.6 engine. So did my Ford Focus so they are thesame car" - It just wouldn't happen.

c)Your T's and C's do not state anywhere about RPI, Retail Price Indexor Inflation. For these measures to be used to increase your prices Isee that you would need to state them within your T's and C's.

d)Your price increase is above the rate of inflation for my account. Aprice increase from £7.50 to £8.14 is over 8.5%. The annual rate ofinflation that you are sticking by stands at just 5.4%. Thistherefore removes your clause 4.3.1 from the equation, as your priceincrease was not inline with the rate of inflation, RPI, or RetailPrice Index.

"4.3 You may also terminate your Contract if we vary its terms,resulting in an excessive increase in the Charges or changes thatalter your rights under this Contract to your detriment. In suchcases you would need to give us at least 14 days written notice priorto your Billing Date (and within one month of us telling you aboutthe changes). "

Youdid not inform me about the price increase. So the first i knew aboutit was on 29th May. This was 11 days ago. I therefore give youwritten notice that I intend to terminate my contract, as a result ofyou varing its terms. The variation has both resulted in an excessiveincrease in the charges as well as altered my rights to my detriment.

Thefact that I must send you written notice concludes that you must alsosend me written notice about any change to my contract terms.

Shouldyou feel that your clause 4.3.1 is still relevant in this case,please also explain why you have a term within your agreement,contrary to "TheUnfairTerms in Consumer Contracts Regulations1999".Please also explain WHY you feel this term is not contrary to theUTCCR should you not believe it is an unfair term.

UnderGeneral Condition 9.6, communications providers must providecustomers for whom a change is likely to be of material detrimentwith one month’s notice of the change.

Customersmustalso be informed that they are entitled to terminate their contractwithout penalty if the change is not acceptable to them.

Thismakes it clear in my eyes. Also please consider the fact that UKLegislation overrides any agreement made. Therefore concluding thatClause 4.3.1 is contrary to UTCCR 1999

Yours

WayneP

Atthis point, I got a little, “peeved” so infact got in touch withCISAS and Ofcom...

Subject:

Re: Thank you for your application

Wayne P

To:

Info @cisas.org.uk;

Cc:

Bcc:

Date:

Friday, 8 June 2012, 13:46

Your online reference number is: xxxxx

Please find attached information. All correspondence attached.

My complaint is that contrary to Ofcom rules, Orange did not inform me of a price rise. I also have had no service since i moved home in march 2011. Please view correspondence between myself and orange. I have raised numerous complaints but nothing gets resolved, and I never recieve a call back from their team.

On 27th Dec I was on the telephone with orange for over 6 hours. with regards to lack of signal. nothing has been resolved. I tried numerous handsets. None of them work. I have perfect Vodafone signal. Neither me, my brother or his wife recieves signal at my home adress or around my area.

I also draw attention to the document EETERMS.PDF. This consitutes a part of their terms and conditions - and clearly states that they will not increase their prices. *URL IS ON THE DOCUMENT

Also as my price increase is in excess of 8.5%, and RPI stands at 5.4%. Clause 4.3.1 does not stand within this circumstance. So this should not be considered a business descision. As orange are breaking its contract by refusing to allow me to leave as per clause 4.3 of its Ts and Cs. Not only that but Orange are also in breach of Ofcom regulations General Conditon 9.6 on two accounts: 1) They did not inform me of the change and 2) They did not inform me of my right to leave..

Also Clause 4.3.1 of Oranges terms i feel is contrary to the UTCCR's.

Thanks

Wayne P

My reply from previously sent email to executive office:

Subject:

FW: Orange

Executive, Office (executive.office @orange.co.uk)

To:

w_pxxxxxxxx

Cc:

Bcc:

Date:

Tuesday, 12 June 2012, 9:54

Case Reference: xxxxxx

Account Number:xxxx

DearMr P,

Thank you for your email dated 8 June 2012.

Iunderstand that you still feel you are eligible to disconnect number07xxxxxxxxxx without penalty. After taking your comments intoconsideration, I confirm that I cannot agree to disconnection withoutthe applicable buy out charges.

As shown in our Terms andConditions, communication sent by post or electronically is deemed asserved and is binding. Additionally, that you are responsible forchecking your bills, whether received online or by post and this hasalso given you the opportunity to check information regarding theprice increase.

Unfortunately, I am unable to assist youfurther and confirm that you are free to seek independent advice onthis matter.

Yours sincerely

AmandaElsigood

Executive Office

But on the same day: I received this from cisas:

12June 2012

DearMr P

RejectionReference No: xxxxx

Thankyou for your enquiry to use the CISAS scheme. Unfortunately, however,we are unable to

processyour application at this time as you have not provided a copy of adeadlock letter fromthe

companyor clear evidence thatyou have been in dispute for more than 8 weeks.

Ifyou have a deadlock letter from the Company or other evidence showingyour dispute is more

than8 weeks old please re-submit your application attaching the documentsthat you have.

Youneed to show that you have been through the company’s formalcomplaints procedure or that

youhave been attempting to do so for more than 8 weeks.

Inyour case you should be corresponding with:-

OrangePersonal Communications Limited Compliance Team, Mercia House,Senhouse

Road,Darlington, Durham, DL1 4YB

Wehope that you are able to resolve your complaint directly with thecompany. However, should

thatnot be possible, please re-submit your application when you have adeadlock letter or your

disputeis more than 8 weeks but has not exceeded a 9 month period.

Shouldyou have any queries regarding this matter, please feel free tocontact us.

Yourssincerely

MissJessica Niclot

CaseAdministrator

Phone:020 7520 3814

Soin hopes, my next email was the following to CISAS, copying in thepreviously received email from amanda “Feel free to seekindependent advice” and my next reply to orange.

Subject:

Re: Thank you for your application

Wayne P (w)

To:

CISAS @idrs.ltd.uk;

Cc:

Bcc:

Date:

Tuesday, 12 June 2012, 16:05

Dear Jessica Niclot / Jean Marie Sadio,

RE: Rejection Reference No: xxxxx

Please find attached further evidence - a reply from Orange communications confirming that they are happy for me to seek independant advice, after totally ignoring the main aspect of my original complaints with them. This is not an "Official" deadlock letter, however, as they make it clear they are unwilling to help further, and tell me to seek independant advice on this matter, this should be taken as a referal. Correct?

Your's

Wayne P

Mynext reply to orange (in repect of Amanda's “seek independentadvice...”)

Subject:

Re: Orange

Wayne P

To:

executive.office @orange.co.uk;

Cc:

Bcc:

Date:

Tuesday, 12 June 2012, 15:56

DearSir/Madam,

Furtherto my previous correspondance, dated 8th June 2012, I am stillawaiting a response in respect of clause 4.3.1 which is contrary to

TheUnfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

Iwould also like to inform you that I have been in contact with Ofcomon the 8th June (Reference xxxxxxx), and consider that as of today weare infact at a state of Deadlock I would therefore, as per yourcomplaints procedure, expect you to issue an official deadlock letterfor referal of this case to CISAS.

Inrespect of your response contained "Additionally,that you are responsible for checking your bills, whether receivedonline or by post and this has also given you the opportunity tocheck information regarding the price increase."

Iwould like to make the following clear: GC 9.6 of Ofcom regulationsrequire you to make all price increases clear at least 1 month priorto the increase. My bills would not constitute informing me of a) theincrease or b) my right of withdrawal.

Also,I notice from your response you have not mentioned the fact that mybill increase was above the rate of inflation, which stood at 5.4%.

Iam also awaiting numerous responses from numerous complaints whichhave been lodged on my account since my contract has taken effectback in March 2011 for lack of signal. As you will see from myprevious bills I have had no signal with yourselves in my home areasince the contract took effect. I would expect a formal letterexplaining what has happened to the numerous telephone calls I havebeen promised over the previous 15 months in relation to lack ofsignal, which have never materialised.

Iwould also like to draw attention to the fact that I put a formalrequest under the Data Protection act for a copy of ALL INFORMATIONyou hold on myself, including telephone calls, call transcripts /recordings, Account notes and any other information you couldpossibly hold about myself. In addition to this, On a number ofoccasions I have requested a copy of my bills for telephone number01789xxxxxx to be provided to myself - Since Orange terminated mybilling account access when I cancelled my sevices. This was done ona number of telephone calls to yourselves and by email. No bills havebeen provided to date.

Ialso bring to your attention the fact that Orange failed to collectnumerous Direct Debit's from my bank account in 2007. These impactedon my credit file, for no fault of my own, YOUR system failed tocollect - YET YOU MARK THEM AS A LATE PAYMENT ON MY CREDIT FILE????

Soto concluded. I expect the following:

1)A copy of any information you hold in regards to myself

2)Official CISAS Deadlock Letter

3)Official response from Managing Director in response to my UTCCRstatement

4)A copy of all bills for landline telephone / broadband 01789 266 128- to be made available to myself.

Yours,

WayneP

"Executive, Office"

To:
xxxx

Sent:
Wednesday, 13 June 2012, 9:36

Subject:
Orange

Case Reference: xxxx

Account Number: xxxxxx

Dear Mr P,

Further to your email dated 10 June 2012, I confirm the following:

The increase implemented was in regard to the Service Plan charge only. Your Service Plan has increased from £15.00, including VAT to £15.61, including VAT, and is within the stated increase rate of 4.34%. The £7.50, including VAT, recurring credit given to you each month is in addition to the agreement, not part of it.

Written notice was sent to you to inform of the pending increase, although by text message. This is one media which can be used to communicate information to a high number of customer's quickly and is binding.

The terms of your agreement are not considered to be unfair and remain unchanged, since provision for any such increase has been included for several years. I acknowledge that the Central Office for Statistics is no longer known as such, although their function remains the same.

After taking all of the above information and previous contact into consideration, I confirm that you remain held to the agreement. To disconnect number 07971 243905, buy out charges apply. A Port Authorisation Code (PAC) can still be issued to you if required.

Whilst I realise my response may not be what you were hoping for, I trust the above information is of assistance.

Yours sincerely

Amanda Elsigood

Executive Office

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER

This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended for the above-named person(s). If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately, delete this email from your system and do not disclose or use for any purpose.

We may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current legislation. We have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, but it remains your responsibility to ensure that viruses do not adversely affect you.

Everything Everywhere Limited

Registered in England and Wales

Company Registered Number: 02382161

Registered Office Address: Hatfield Business Park, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL10 9BW

replied from me with:

Subject:

Wayne P

To:

executive.office @orange.co.uk; customer.services @orange.co.uk; correspondence @everythingeverywhere.com;

Cc:

Bcc:

Date:

Thursday, 14 June 2012, 2:22

Amanda,

YET AGAIN you appear to have show absolute disregard for my comments, totally ignoring the main points of my complaint with Orange. As stated in my correspondance dated 12-6-12. Please find this message attached, perhaps you would take the time to actually read this message instead of simply replying this time...

UTCCR

As per UK Legislation, I would expect a reply from your MD in response to your UNFAIR TERM in your CONSUMER CONTRACT. This means I would expect a reply as per why you feel clause 4.3.1 would remain valid. Any also, why, When GC 9.6 states that you must inform me of my right to leave without penalty, and about the price increase at least a month in advance orange failed to do so... and is in fact failing to allow me to leave, despite it being my legal right.

And incase you are not aware of UNFAIR TERMS IN CONSUMER CONTRACTS REGULATIONS...

Section 5 and Schedule 2 of the UTCCR sets out a non-exhaustive list of terms considered unfair:

• (i) irrevocably binding the consumer to terms with which he had no real opportunity of becoming acquainted before the conclusion of the contract;

Firstly - Were your T's and C's read out to me over the phone when i upgraded? Was i given the chance to view your terms and conditions?... Well... NO, so appears that the above apply's to me...

• (j) enabling the seller or supplier to alter the terms of the contract unilaterally without a valid reason which is specified in the contract;

This also appears to apply in this case... considering your T's and C's do not state anywhere any of the following terms: RPI, Rate of Inflation, (EVEN THE WORD INFLATION), despite your claims that your T's and C's allow for you to

• (l) providing for the price of goods to be determined at the time of delivery or allowing a seller of goods or supplier of services to increase their price without in both cases giving the consumer the corresponding right to cancel the contract if the final price is too high in relation to the price agreed when the contract was concluded;

Well, Well. Appears your determining your prices at time of delivery... and not allowing me the right to cancel the contract? So we are three for three here...

I have actually provided a link to UTCCR legislation previously, but just for your convenience... here is infact another link with the same legislation... I would also expect your reply in relation to your unfair TERM in your Consumer contract...

xxxx oft.gov.uk/about-the-oft/legal-powers/legal/unfair-terms/

Could I also draw your attention to the following document:

xxxxxx orangeworld.co.uk/p/helpandcosts/eeterms

You make it clear on your own website, that my price would not change... I feel that this, being an advertisement, should stand, therefore aking it clear that (TO QUOTE YOUR WiORDS):

"Don't worry though, nothing else changes, you'll still get the great service from Orange at the price that you're paying today."

Hardly appears to be true though, does it... As you increased my price... *Note the document URL too... eeterms... would appear that this document forms a part of your Terms and Conditions... (Also, this document is attached, for your convenience.)

Also, You have failed to reply to the fact of the number of complaints I have already raised with Orange as per lack of service. These complaints date back until the date of the commencement of contract.

I also draw attention to my previous correspondance in response to your CLAIM that you sent myself a text message informing me of changes to my terms and conditions... I RECEIVED NO SUCH MESSAGE. THEREFORE YOU DID NOT INFORM ME OF ANY CHANGE... Also, You claim that I had chance to check the changes on my monthly bill. YOU DO NOT NOTIFY ME WHEN MY BILL IS READY TO VIEW. So again, did not inform me of any changes.

Subject Access Report

I also repeat my request, under the data protection act for a copy of all information you hold about myself, to be provided to myself. This includes all call recordings, call transcripts, account notes ETC... Please supply the information about me - I am entitled to make such a request under the Data Protection Act 1998 - relating to myself and my account(s). Please would you also tell me the logic involved in any automated decisions you have made about me. If you need any more information from me, so as to allow you to perform this subject access report, please let me know as soon as possible. Also, if you do not normally deal with these requests, please pass this letter to your Data Protection Officer or another appropriate officer within your organisation.

I am sure that I do not need to remind you that the act covers both facts and opinions about myself as an individual, as well as information regarding the intentions of your organisation towards myself. The request should therefore cover any internal/external memos, emails, faxes and any other correspondence or readily accessible data held on computer by your organisation which could be classified as 'personal data', in addition to any boxed paper files. * Please note I have been an Orange customer for in excess of ten years... So dig deep.

Also, Whilst we are on the subject access report (also requested on the telephone over a week ago) I am expecting all information held by Everything Everywhere as a company - so therefore T-Mobile, and Orange, ETC... Not simply Orange. (I was also a T-Mobile customer for quite a while.)

Also, I am well aware that Mobile phone companies keep a record of their customers' "cell data" - the rough locations from which calls are made and text messages sent, established on the basis of where their masts are situated. I know that they are retained for at least a year and accessible to public officials, in particular the police, according to the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000. Please ensure all of this data is included in my Subject Access Report.

Also with the subject access report, i would also like the following:

a copy of the information in permanent form; an explanation of any technical or complicated terms; any information the organisation has about where they got my information from; a description of the information, the purposes for processing the information and who the organisation is sharing the information with; and the logic involved in any automated decisions.

PREVIOUS COMPLAINTS NOT FOLLOWED UP

Also, What is happening about previous complaints not being followed up?

01789xxxx

My Bills for this service? WHERE ARE THEY? YOU MUST SUPPLY THEM, AS PER OFCOM RULES?

And finally

it may be very helpful if instead of using a template letter, you actually re-read my previous correspondance, and respond accordingly...

Yours,

One very unhappy Orange customer

Mr. Wayne P

orange responding

"Executive, Office"

To:
meeeeee

Sent:
Thursday, 14 June 2012, 10:58

Subject:
Orange

Account Number: vvvv

Dear Mr Pearsall,

Further to your email dated 12 June 2012, I am responding on behalf of Orange. The Executive Office was created by Orange's UK Board of Directors to case manage complaints that are received from our customers in order to use the information to drive future improvement initiatives. Each Executive Assistant is fully empowered to manage every case, as the Executive Office is the last point of escalation in the process documented with OFCOM and the Independent Body of Arbitrators

You advise that no response has been given regarding your comment that part 4.3.1 of our Terms and Conditions is contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations. Since Orange are allowed to increase charges by the cost of inflation, the increase Orange has implemented is lower than the sum quoted and therefore is not contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations.

I acknowledge your request to take the matter to the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS). On this occasion, no reference number will be issued to you as the matter falls outside of the scope of CISAS.

The increase which has been implemented is 4.34%, changing your Service Plan charge from £15.00 to £15.61 per month. Any recurring credits or charges for additional usage remain unchanged.

I understand you have complained previously regarding numerous issues. Having reviewed our records I apologise I am unable to locate your previous letter so cannot address any additional concerns you may have raised in that correspondence.

The account information you have requested can be sent to you, on completion of the relevant request form. I have arranged for a Subject Access request (SAR) form to be sent to you at the account address. Once completed, please return the form with the appropriate proofs of identity and fee.

Whilst I appreciate this may not be the response you had hoped for, I trust the above confirms Orange's position on the matter.

Yours sincerely

Amanda Elsigood

Executive Office

Subject:

Wayne P

To:

Cc:

Bcc:

Date:

Thursday, 14 June 2012, 15:35

Amanda,

Please understand the following... When I took out my contract I was given HALF PRICE line rental. Hence my monthly bill recieving a recuring £7.50 Inc Vat credit. This in my eyes forms the main part of my contract.

Also understand, further to my email dated 14th June 2012 - the UTCCR also states that your contract has unfair terms if you do not allow the consumer to withdraw from the contract if an amendment to the contract alters prices based on date of delivery of said services and not based on when the contract was concluded (or "signed"). Do you not feel this is what is happening in this case? This is why I have given you a direct request stating I expect a FULL response as to why Orange (AKA Everything Everywhere) feels that this term 4.3.1 is not directly contrary to the UTCCR's. May I make it clear that a full UTCCR response is requested.

Also as per your statement that this complaint falls outside of the scope of CISAS's scope. Please understand that my complaint is not simply the increase in price... It is also in regards to Breach of contract, Failure to render services paid for, unfair treatment of a consumer, unresponsiveness in regards to complaints... failure to provide bills as legally required... and a number of other complaints already documented over my previous communication...

Further to my previous correspondence dated 14.6.12, it appears that YET AGAIN... you have failed to respond to the fact that bills for telephone / broadband on the number of 01789xxxxx are not accessible. Despite your terms stating that all bills will be accessible for 18 months - my account access was suspended on the day i cancelled my services.

Further to my previous complaints: "I understand you have complained previously regarding numerous issues. Having reviewed our records I apologise I am unable to locate your previous letter so cannot address any additional concerns you may have raised in that correspondence." I see that you acknowledge recieving my previous mail, and still refuse to comment, or follow up said complaints, DESPITE THE COMPLAINT INFORMATION BEING ON YOUR SYSTEM!

Further to my Subject Access Report. You have both my bank direct debit details on file, and my card details... You are capable of taken said fee from either of these methods... You have all identifcation on file for myself, Obviously, since you are communicating with me in regards to my account with yourself, you are already satisfied of my identification. (otherwise you would be in breach of data protection laws).

What further Identification would be required? - And since the SAR would be posted to my account address. That is all that would be required. :)

Yours

Wayne P

I then received amessage from CISAS stating that the company has 14 days to repond tomy complaints, stating what they agree to and not....

I then read thefollowing from Orange:

Subject:

Orange

To:

meeeee

Cc:

Bcc:

Date:

Friday, 15 June 2012, 14:41

Case Reference: xxx

Account Number: xxxx

Please respond toexecutive.office @orange.co.uk

Dear Mr P,

Thank you foryour email dated 14 June 2012.

In relation to yourdissatisfaction at the price increase, we do not consider that thisdispute falls within the remit of CISAS and will not therefore beissuing a deadlock letter. As we have fully explained our position wewill not be communicating further with you regarding thisissue.

Your request for information held is acknowledged and aSubject Access Request (SAR) form has been sent to you at youraccount address. Although we do hold information, such as youraddress and bank account details; your request will not be fulfilledunless you comply with the details requested.

Copies of yourBroadband bills should be available via the Your Account section ofthe Orange website. However, I have forwarded your request to acolleague in this area of the business. You should expect to becontacted by them directly within 7 days.

Whilst I acknowledgethis may not be the response you had expected, I trust the abovefully clarifies our position.

Yours sincerely

AmandaElsigood

Executive Office

so I wrote, including acopy of the mail I received from CISAS clearly showing they aretaking on my case...:

Subject:

RE: Orange / CISAS Application. Subject Access Report.

Wayne P

To:

Cc:

Bcc:

Date:

Saturday, 16 June 2012, 2:42

Case Reference: xxx

Account Number: xxxx

As I outlined in my official complaint, I have already been in contact with both CISAS and Ofcom already. You should have recieved a letter from CISAS within the last day or so, Attached is a copy of the letter I recieved.

Also on the case of the Subject Access Report - should you wish for me to complete a form for such a request, i believe this is contrary to the data protection act. but all the same, send me a copy of your form and process for such a SAR via PDF format to my email address...

Also, I would like to remind you, as per current legislation, your 40 day time limit began on the date i wrote my initial SAR request...

xxxxx ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/the_guide/principle_6/access_to_personal_data.aspx

Also, YET AGAIN, i believe that ORANGE are breaking legislation... by not making it clear that IT IS NOT MANDATORY FOR ME TO COMPLETE YOUR SAR FORM... as my request previously made is a valid request...

Can I require individuals to use a specially designed form when making subject access requests?

No. Many organisations produce subject access request forms, and you may invite individuals to use such a form as long as you make it clear that this is not compulsory and you do not try to use this as a way of extending the 40-day time limit for responding. Standard forms can make it easier for you to recognise a subject access request and make it easier for the individual to include all the details you might need to locate the information they want.

However, any request in writing must be considered as a valid request, whatever the format.

So as you will see from the attached document, this case is now in the hands of CISAS.

You have my formal CISAS request, along with all relevant documentation to verify my identifcation (by means of my account) and you also have my permission to add your SAR fee (£10 maximum as per UK legislation) to my bank account / Orange bill ETC... but I expect a full and complete reply to my SAR request by no later than 24th JULY 2012 to be at my home!

I would also like to make clear the following point: For organisations subject to Freedom of Information legislation, it is an offence to make any amendments with the intention of preventing its disclosure.

Also bear in mind the following facts regards to a Subject Access Report:

The Act allows you to confirm two things before you are obliged to respond to a request.

First, you can ask for enough information to judge whether the person making the request is the individual to whom the personal data relates. This is to avoid personal data about one individual being sent to another, accidentally or as a result of deception.

The key point is that you must be reasonable about what you ask for. You should not request lots more information if the identity of the person making the request is obvious to you. This is particularly the case, for example, when you have an ongoing relationship with the individual.

As I have made clear previously, by you disclosing information about my account to me over email over the course of our conversations... it would be concluded that you are well aware of my identification, as as your response will be the the address you hold on file for my account: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx there is no danger of the information being recieved by any third party.

I now make it clear yet again, that you should consider my subject access report request filed (as per the data protection act) and fee paid as you hold both my bank debit card information to take a card payment, and bank details to debit my account for the fee...

Should my request not be honoured within the 40 day limit imposed by the DPA then damages will be sought via legal proceedings.

Yours,

Wayne P

and this is where i now stand...

I find it rediculous, that i have no signal, and have a contract they lock me into... then on top of all that. increase my price, and not follow up complaints...

my SAR request will provide me with enough evidence if CISAS isnt satisfactory... and it will go to small claims... but for my SAR to be ok i need to get the data...

IS IT OK TO TELL THEM TO DEBIT MY BANK ACCOUNT? OR SHOULD I SEND A CHEQUE? (I DONT HAVE A CHEQUEBOOK, NEVER ORDERED ONE SINCE THEY ARE PRETTY USELESS IN TODAYS AGE)

Well Guys... got bored waiting for a reply from orange, and as expected they did not cancel my direct debit as instructed by me to do... so here is the

message i sent to them...

Subject:

ORANGE COMMITING FRAUD ON MY BANK NOW TOO???

Wayne P (xxxxxx)

To:

Date:

Friday, 22 June 2012, 2:55

Dear Sir / Madam,

Before this matter is dealth with by Amanda Elsigood, I would also expect another member of Everything Everywhere's board to take on this matter... The way

that I have been treated by Amanda I find very disgusting. After some of the responses I have recieved, I find it amazing that Amanda was not top of the

list when the new CEO took over an axed all of the jobs...

I find it particularly disgusting that she would not respond to my complaint about lack of service simply because she "was not able to locate my previous

letter" in regards to the complaint...

Further to my previous email, Dated 16th June 2012, it appears that I have recieved no response in relation to the additional complaints raised.

1) Lack of bills for 01789xxxxxxx

2) Response explaining why Orange feels that clause 4.3.1 of its Terms and Conditions is not in conflict with the UTCCR's, despite my previous message

outlining that it fails on more than three counts of the Office of Fair Tradings guidelines. http://www.oft.gov.uk/about-the-oft/legal-powers/legal/unfair-

terms/guidance

Please see the attached fie oft311.pdf and read pages 50, 52 and 57

3)... ahh, well need i list it all again?... im sure you can access them on your system...

HOWEVER: HERE IS ANOTHER COMPLAINT TO ADD TO THE SYSTEM:

*** READY FOR IT? *** UNAUTHORISED DEBIT FROM MY BANK ACCOUNT FOR THE AMOUNT OF £8.14 ON THE 21ST JUNE 2012. and for that matter, all Direct Debits since

27th December 2011.

Now to be able to use the Direct Debit facility, You (Orange) have to have my express consent to do so...

Now before I continue, I must also make you aware of my Subject Access Report request which has already been posted to yourselves (but again, not using your

form, which I do not intend to complete as the Data Protection Act states that I DO NOT HAVE TO USE SUCH A FORM. It is not permittable for You (Orange /

EverythingEverywhere) to make ammendments to information you hold about myself with the intention of preventing its disclosure.

During my Telephone call on the 27th December 2011, I clearly gave my instructions to one of your team members to cancel my Direct Debit with yourselves...

That you were not Permitted to take any further monies from my bank account, in regards to this telephone service.

YET: Monies still went out of my bank account... Not only that... but the amount increased!

Then: come the 29th of May. I spoke with another lady in your team.. A manager of "Retentions Team" (One of Team 36 I believe, Catherine Barnes' Manager) -

I told her to cancel my Direct Debit with yourselves... And yet again, no such action took place. Now, I believe this goes beyond a simple clerical error,

and actually goes past the border of Criminality?

For this reason, Despite the fact the amounts are below £10 a time, value is not the point... by Orange continuing to Debit my Bank account for amounts that

have not been Authorised it could actually be considered as fraudulant behaviour. I would be seeking compensation for the fact that numerous debits have

left my bank account over the previous months, despite my lack of authorisation for such to happen.

I expect a formal written response to this ASAP detailing WHY you have continued to debit my account without my permission to do so.

Yours,

Wayne P.

> FWD PREV EMAIL

but the best part is the reply I have recieved from Amanda Elsigood, AGAIN...

Subject:

Orange

To:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date:

Friday, 22 June 2012, 17:12

Account Number: xxxxx

Dear Mr P,

Thank you for your email dated 22 June 2012 regarding the above account.

Your comments have been noted and I confirm that as your case manager, the issues you raised would not be dealt with by another Executive Office Assistant.

However, as you have submitted a CISAS claim the matter will be dealt with via them directly and you will receive no further response from Orange in relation

to this matter.

I trust the above confirmation to be satisfactory.

Yours sincerely

Amanda Elsigood

Executive Office

I would definately urge anybody considering taking out a contract with Orange to consider their customer service...

for OVER TEN YEARS i was with Orange... my bills always 40-50 quid (line rental was about a tenner due to loyalty) then when i moved - no signal, so bills

just dropped to line rental.

Orange are beyond a joke... The amount of "callbacks" i have been promised, that never happen are rediculous.

Note that Amanda states that I will recieve no further reply from Orange since I have a CISAS claim in... I wonder, Does this include my SAR request? - She

absolutely ignores this each time, except expecting me to complete their SAR form... I wonder...

So here comes my next simple reply to her (lets see if she replies)

here it is (prev msg was too long...)

Subject:

Wayne P (XXX)

To:

Date:

Saturday, 23 June 2012, 2:33

Account Number: xxxxx

Dear Sir/Madam,

Further to your email dated 22 June 2012.

I comment on your reply stating that Orange will be giving no response in relation to this matter... Since I have raised more than one complaint with yourselves, in addition to my SAR request, could you please confirm which matter you will not be communicating with myself with, in regards to?

I remind you that in relation to my Subject Access Report, your 40 day time limit began on the day of my submission... As I have pointed out to yourself already, You are well aware of my Identification, and therefore under the DPA you cannot ask me for further information - this is clear since you have been discussing my account with me over email, and should you not be confident of my Identification you would of been in breach of the DPA in such circumstances. However, I assume that this legislation would not really bother EverythingEverywhere, either?

I would also like to correct the date on which the 40 day limit ends... I have reviewed my records and can see that the 40 day timelimit actually began on the 12th June. Please see the email attached. You can see clearly I tell you that I want a copy of any information you hold about me. - The DPA states that any written request for my information should be taken as a SAR request... The request does not need to mention the DPA, SAR or any other information... I just need to tell you that "I WANT TO KNOW WHAT INFO YOU HOLD ABOUT ME"...

So could you confirm what stage you are at in regards to the SAR request. Do you have an ETA for my complete report to arrive?

Your's

Wayne P

Hi Wayne,

They may well be hiding behind the payment not being recieved with the request.

There are 3 things that can delay compliance,first if they say they are not satisfied that they have been provided with proof that the application is being made is the subject entitled.

That the payment has not accompanied the application.

That the application requires disproportionate effort that exceeds the stat £10.00 fee.

I did a SAR to Orange about 5 years ago,and I remember at that time they had 2 forms then.One was for basic copy account info for which they charged £2.

The other was for a full DSAR which was £10 and the form was about 4 pages.

There is no obligation to fill in a companies templated form,but we know that many insist on it.Councils usually have their own.

Citi Financial used to try delaying tactics with their own form which was 6 pages.

The only real need to be demanding you complete their forms should be for more detailed information when the request is for CCTV images or recordings for example.

You are right about cheques,and some organisations have always insisted on a Postal order,which is probably the way most do it,sent by recorded delivery.

Although obviously the cost is higher because you have to pay commission,as many who are doing the SAR to obtain data for the purpose of reclaims,these charges as well as the £10 for the fee,are often added to the claim.

You have a good arguement to say that they have already accepted that you are who you say you are,since they have clearly been engaged in comprehensive dialogue with you.

I would personally just send the postal order,and maybe a copy of a utility bill,that proves both name and address.

cheers for that... Well I have printed off my initial email (above) with the detailed SAR request... I refuse to use their form since Amanda has stated that a SAR would not be dealt with unless I follow the instructions given - which are contrary to the DPA. I will post a cheque from my sister (she is one of the few people who actually still use a cheque book) And I will include a copy of my Orange Telephone bill (just for laughs - as one of their "acceptable ID's is a telephone bill) - the other thing I need to contend with is the fact that in todays day and age I have NO paper bills... everything is PDF online. Credit Card / Bank / Gas / Elec / Phone / Sky ETC All online billing./statements.

I called Orange today, since after reading the forums, I found out since I am past 12 months in my contract I can drop my phone plan...

I spoke with a very nice indian lady (Michelle) who listened to what my issue was and reduced me down to Canary 10 (£10.50) but I was going to loose my "loyalty extras, as it was company policy"... I insisted that if such was going to happen, could she please send me a text / email confirming such. (I was hoping the case would be true, as it would go against Amanda's argument that the promo credits / extra mins ETC were "in addition to my plan and not part of it".

Sadly that ship didnt sail too well, because the lady "seeing that I had been a loyal customer for so long", would 'waive policy' on this count. Meaning that my bill is now simply £3 a month. But I also recieved a £30.00 credit to my account to see me to the end of my fixed period (march - 10 months).

I asked for TXT's to be sent confirming, and she sent them right through... So im guessing that since I will be in contract without paying its better than nothing, even if CISAS cant resolve it... But im sure such actions only go to "proove" my case... Its a shame that Low level employees can do more to "help a customer" than the main management teams. - Obviously, my issue is lack of signal, When I move the issue should be resolved, so would of happily went back to Orange, but now, No chance for it...

anyway, SAR request posted tomorrow, first class, so they should have it by tuesday (Cant get a cheque until I see my sister).

• 3 weeks later...

OK, another update... bear with me here...

so, I posted through but cheque not cashed... now 13th July (Leaving it as 24th July as a deadline, its just 11 days to go)... so i decided to chase them up (I really want this info, as it proves my cash, and if i go to court my case will be dependant on it...

I called up this evening, and asked to put a £10 credit onto my account... after four attempts, the fifth i got lucky, and it was done... Once done, i said can you make a note on my account, to the tune of:

Customer Mr P. Called. £10 credited to account in relation to SAR request posted on 12.6.12. with auth code ~~~~~

Im guessing he also noted other stuff, but I thanked him a lot, and expressed my gratitude at his pleasant manner (again, its a shame guys like this get the folk who others have P'd off)

I then sent the following email, along with attachments...

Subject: Subject Access Report Request... From: Wayne .... To: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; Cc: Bcc: Date: Friday, 13 July 2012, 21:23

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please find attached previous communication in regards to my subject access report...

As stated previously, the 40 day time limit is due for expiration... and there is still no sign of my report, or an ETA of its arrival as already requested.

I have also confirmed that I will not be completing your SAR form, and have made my payment of £10 directly to yourselves already.

I Called up at 20:35 and the guy hung up when i said i want to pay £10 for a SAR request... (this same thing appears to have happened a number of times over the past couple of weeks). I then called up at 20:45 on 13 july 2012, and made a payment for £10 via my bank card ending with number ++++.

The payment was debited sucessfully with the authorisation code ######. This payment was made in relation to SAR request posted on 12.06.2012. I spoke to a guy with the name of SHUBNEET, who also made a note on my account.

As already mentioned, it is against current UK legislation to make ammendments to my personal information, with the hopes to avoid its disclosure, so I include my original requests, and again state that my request is for EVERYTHING you hold about me, that could be and is considered personal information...

The attached emails make specific references to certain things, but this is not the full scope of what I wish to recieve.

For further information, and to assist you in your search, my address information over the past few years include:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (My current address, and that which is held on file for myself... This would also be the address where the report is to be sent to!)

mmmm

mmmmm

mmmmm

mmmmm (complete list of addresses since a child)

Also, to clarify, I have held PAYG accounts, and PAYM accounts with Orange and T-Mobile. I also hold a Credit Card with Orange. I expect a complete list of All information, and explainations to all of the information as detailed in the attached emails... from ALL organisations that fall within the "EverythingEverywhere" group...

I also expect to know if you have linked any further information to myself, including unpaid debts, and all details on those accounts that have been linked to myself by your team.

Please also find attached a copy of a recent utility bill, and also a copy of a bill from my account with yourselves to confirm an ongoing relationship with your organisation, so as to prove that there is no need to warrant further proof of my identification, as per the Data Protection Act 1998.

So for simplicity... Attached is:

Email from 12.6.12 sent from myself to Orange Exec.

Email from 14.6.12 sent from myself to Orange Exec.

Second Email from 14.6.12 sent from myself to Orange Exec.

npower utility bill in my name, showing my full current address (mmmmmmmmmm)

I now assume that my SAR is in process, and should be with me ASAP, considering that you have the following:

Proof of my identity

The £10 payment (as detailed above)

and a complete statment of what i expect to know and recieve from yourselves.

Yours,

Wayne P.

Now CISAS... Orange sent a defense through with the following:

1) Price rise....

"this has been confirmed to be outside of the scope of CISAS by management, and we hold a number of letters to our executive office from CISAS confirming that you would not process complaints in relation to the price rise"

2) lack of service

"This complaint is since the customer opened his account, and is older than 9 months, so per cisas rules, you cant deal with it

(absolutely abrev'd, but just to show their defence doesnt deny their wrong doing?)

I will print, and black out all info i dont want to be seen, but its one hell of a long defence, about 50 pages, a lot containing a lot of personal info.... and its in "picture" format pdf, so i cant copy and paste...

but my response comments were:

The numbers on below response relate to items on Orange's response / defence.

a. A business decision the Respondent made to increase the prices paid by all of its

customers in accordance with the terms of the Claimant’s contract

= If Orange make it a Business Decision to break their own terms and conditions to avoid CISAS getting involved, I

find it disgusting if the Adjudicator is to throw this complaint out without a substantial reasoning as to why...

The contract does not specifically state that customers cannot cancel in the event that the price increase is lower than the

retail price index. It states the name of a publication - By a certain organisation. Orange have not been able to provide this

publication, as no such publication has been produced since 1996 when the "Central Statistical Office" closed down and since

no publication entitled "All Items Index of Retail Prices" has been produced since - unless obviously Orange / Everything Everywhere can

produce said document, then clause 4.3.1 does not stand?

Orange do however state the the "Office for National Statistics" produce a "SIMULAR" document... the keyword being SIMULAR. Whilst

Simular could well be alike... It is still not the SAME document refered to in the contract of terms...

Much like a 1.6 Ford Focus is not the same as a 1.6 Vauxhall Astra, despite it being of "SIMULAR" size/specification.

Also, no where else in Oranges T;s and C;s does it provide the words "Inflation" "RPI" or "Retail Price Index" therefore as the T's and C's

state "All Items Index of Retail Prices" this does not clearly refer to the "Retail Price Index" and as such cannot be justified by the

company to rely on their "Business Decision" to break their Ts and Cs to avoid the remit of CISAS.

===========

I am well aware that Orange have told me that this matter is out of the scope of CISAS, but that is down to CISAS to

decide upon, since my complaint relates to more than their stated "Business Decision" of breaking its t's and c's.

I see some account notes... However, I do not see any account notes where I have actually asked for a copy of their complaints proceedure,

I have asked multiple times, and this has never been given to myself.

14. true, as detailed in all emails forwarded to cisas...

15. / 16.

I do not see how an email from one member of a company can constitute as evidence... Where is said logs that were refered to?

these have not been included in the notes... and Orange clearly stated to me that said logs were only kept on file for a maximum of six months!

So I do believe that said email may be faked... as it does not clearly show any evidence that could not be faked...

And as such, Would request the logs mentioned to be provided, clearly showing the IMEI number of said mobile telephone that recieved the

message, along with the duration the connection to the tower, which base tower, and the time of connection to the base tower the connection took

place at ETC (as I am sure we are all aware that such logs would record such information).

The matters in dispute ... numerous matters have been raised... lack of customer service, lack of signal ETC, none have been responded to.

I did not fail to substantiate the compensation claim... I have stated the numerous hours that I have spent on the telephone to

Orange over our conversations... for instance on 27th December 2012 I spent over 6 consecutive hours on the telephone being passed from

one department to the other in relation to lack of signal.

I have written numerous letters to Orange about this compalaint, as well as spent numerous other hours on the telephone to them.

For the time taken from my other activities, based on the fact most companies will charge over £10 per letter written, I believe that a modest £6/hr

for my time * 15 hours = £90, leaving just £30 to cover the "administrative duties" for me writing said letters to Orange in relation to this claim.

I also make it clear that my monthly line rental is ALSO requested to be refunded in ADDITION to the moddest £120 compensation claim.

Clause 4.3.1 does not stand, as the body mentioned does not exist...

Clause 4.3.1 also does not stand as it is contrary to the

unfair terms in consumer contracts regulations... as stated in emails forwarded to yourself previously... and also available on the office

of fair trading website, there is a set of guidelines that point out clearly what is an unfair term... and I clearly point out three unfair

terms/ practices with Oranges contract.

An extract from my email dated 14th june 2012 to Orange:

"And incase you are not aware of UNFAIR TERMS IN CONSUMER CONTRACTS REGULATIONS...

Section 5 and Schedule 2 of the UTCCR sets out a non-exhaustive list of terms considered unfair:

•(i) irrevocably binding the consumer to terms with which he had no real opportunity of becoming acquainted before the conclusion of the contract;

•(j) enabling the seller or supplier to alter the terms of the contract unilaterally without a valid reason which is specified in the contract;

•(l) providing for the price of goods to be determined at the time of delivery or allowing a seller of goods or supplier of services to increase their price without in both cases giving the consumer the corresponding right to cancel the contract if the final price is too high in relation to the price agreed when the contract was concluded;

Well, Well. Appears your determining your prices at time of delivery... and not allowing me the right to cancel the contract?"

**** b. The Claimant states he has no signal inside or outside of the home

21. In accordance with clause 3.1: (We will take all reasonable steps to make the Services available to you at all times.)

this is not the case... Orange offer an application on their Samsung Galaxy Ace with Orange Firmware to allow me to connect over a WiFi connection

to use it as a "base station"... This application is not available for use on third party handsets... I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace (unbranded) which

I would of been happy to install the application to - so as to allow me to recieve signal...

During one of my conversations during my six hours on the telephone with their technical support team.

Also,

Orange's own website states that my area is in a "good" network area, which would therefore conclude that orange is not taking all reasonable steps to make

the services available to me at all times.

Whilst I did first call regarding signal issues on 21 August 2011, this does not place this application outside of the

remit of the CISAS scheme pursuant to Rule 3© which provides that the customer must apply to the scheme with nine months.

As my first Official complaint to the company was not until 27th December, as noted on the logs that Orange will hold.

23. Also, the notepad from 27 December 2011 states that i have had issues with signal for the past nine months, and that I am now unhappy.

It is clearly a case that a note on an account is being misrepresented.

Infact, to read the log there are five notes combined into one log:

(1) Signal issue................... (2) Network Problem. (relating to two masts being out of action for over 2 months in my area!)

(3) Cant use the phone.....

(4) Customer very upset/unhappy.

(5) From--past 9 months customer is facing this Problem.

c. The Claimant’s request to terminate his account without penalty

25. clause 4.3.1 does not stand... see above

26. Clause 4.3.1 does not stand, therefore i should be entitled to leave... as per ofcom GC9.6 - that states that if there is a material change

to a contract then I MUST be notified and given notice of the change and my right to leave the service. NEITHER OF THIS WAS DONE!

In general, I also draw attention to my most recent bill... attached...

My priceplan has been dropped to £3 a month, with a £30 "goodwill" gesture added due to this case... If this is not Orange admitting

liability... than what else is there?

and also the response from orange being a blank email to my clarification (sent previously) as to what matter is not being discussed

further... I take it that Orange is not happy to provide customer services to its customers? therefore does this not fall within the

REMIT of CISAS?

Thanks,

Yours

Wayne P.

before sending the previous comments, i also sent this email:

subject: ref no...

Hi,

THIS IS NOT MY RESPONSE:

but considering the terms of the scheme state if i cannot give evidence, and the respondant (orange) holds such evidence they MUST provide it? correct?

could you please request a copy of ALL LOGS on their system in relation to my account , as after numerous attempts (as shown in their own defence schedule two, Amanda is not even willing to authorise a SAR request, despite being well aware of my identification, and holding multiple methods (as well as my authorisation) to take the 10 pounds fee authorised by the DPA...

I do not see that the response including an email from another member of the company stating that i recieved said text on 2/12/11 to be sufficient evidence in this case. It is simply "their word against mine" which would obviously not hold up in a court of law in any case.

I await your reply...

Wayne P;

this is their defence.... look at the comments made... lol Absolutely twisting account notes... and picked key notes which could be twisted, avoiding any that clearly show orange have failed...

COMMUNICATIONS & INTERNET SERVICES ADJUDICATION SCHEME

REFERENCE: REF NO

BETWEEN

MR WAYNE ,,,,

Claimant

and

EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE LIMITED trading as ORANGE

Respondent

_________________________________________________________________________________

DEFENCE

_________________________________________________________________________________

1. The Respondent denies that it is liable to the Claimant as pleaded or at all.

2. The Respondent is a mobile telecommunications network operator which enters into service

agreements with its customers to enable its customers to access its network. The Claimant is one

such customer of the Respondent.

3. Access to the Respondent’s network is granted to the Respondent’s customer by way of the

issue to the customer of a SIM card which is issued subject to the Respondent’s then applicable

conditions for telephone service.

4. The Claimant then entered into a Service Agreement (“the Agreement “) with Orange Personal

Communication Services Limited (“OPCSL”) on xxxxx 2007. Pursuant to the Agreement

OPCSL issued to the Claimant a SIM Card associated with mobile telephone number xxxxx

and opened an account in the Claimant’s name and allocated account number xxxxx

5. On the xxxxxxx 2007 the Claimant transferred mobile number xxxxxxx from their Pay

As You Go account to their Pay Monthly account xxxxx this then replaced mobile number xxxxxxx.

6. On 1 July 2010 OPCSL became a subsidiary of the Respondent.

7. The Claimant has upgraded on numerous occasions since the accounts inception the most

recent being on 02 April 2011.

8. On 02 April 2011 the Claimant entered into an Upgrade Agreement (“the Upgrade Agreement”).

The Upgrade Agreement was entered into between the Claimant and the Respondent. The

Claimant’s mobile number and account number remained the same.

9. Terms of the Agreement, relevant at the time of the Claimant’s acceptance, are contained in

Schedule 1 of this defence.

10. The Claimant’s claim against the Respondent relates to:

a. A business decision the Respondent made to increase the prices paid by all of its

b. Coverage issues inside and outside of the Claimant’s home

c. The Claimant requests for the account to be terminated without penalty

For ease of use the Respondent will deal with each element of the Claimant’s claim

separately.

11. The Respondent submits that it increased the prices paid by all Pay Monthly customers in

December 2011 pursuant to paragraph 15.1 of Schedule One, paragraphs 4.3 to 4.3.3 details the

rights of customers to cancel in the event that the Respondent increases its prices. The contract

specifically states that customers cannot cancel in the event that the price increase is lower than the

retail price index which was the case in this instance.

12. The Respondent has received multiple assurances from CISAS, including assurances at director

level that this matter is out of scope of the arbitration scheme and cannot be adjudicated upon; it has

advised the Claimant that this matter is not eligible for arbitration repeatedly and it does not intend to

comment further in relation to this matter. The Claimant cannot seek remedies in respect of the price

increase via CISAS.

13. Attached at Schedule 2 hereto: The Respondent encloses copies of the Claimant’s account

notes.

14. The Claimant states in his application “I found out that my bill had risen from 7.50 a month to 8.14

a month. On investigation I found out orange increased prices back in jan. I was not informed of price

increase.”

15. The Respondent submits that its Consumer planning and decisioning Department have looked at

the technical delivery logs and confirmed that a text message was sent via technical to mobile number

xxxxx informing him of the price increase. The text message was delivered successfully on

02 December 2011 at 9.06am.

16. Attached at Schedule 3 hereto: the Respondent encloses a copy of the email received from its

Consumer planning and decisioning Department confirming delivery of the text message to the

Claimant’s mobile number xxxxxxxx.

17. The Respondent submits that its Defence constitutes an explanation of its position in relation to

the matters in dispute.

18. The Respondent directs the adjudicator to paragraph 18.1 of Schedule One in relation to the

sums claimed. The Respondent submits that the Claimant has failed to put forward any reasoning as

to why they should be paid the sum of £120.00 in relation to this matter; they have failed to

substantiate the compensation claim.

19. The Respondent denies that it has breached the terms of the Claimant’s contract.

b. The Claimant states he has no signal inside or outside of the home

20. The Claimant states in his application that “I cannot use my mobile phone at my home area

(outside and inside) as it receives no signal.”

21. In accordance with Clause 3.1 and 3.2 the Respondent does not guarantee 100% coverage in all

places at all times, and undertakes under the Agreement to provide coverage only where a device is

within range of one of the Respondent’s base stations forming part of its technological network.

22. The Respondent submits that the Claimant first called regarding signal issues on 21 August

2011, therefore placing this application outside of the remit of the CISAS scheme pursuant to Rule

3© which provides that the customer must apply to the scheme with nine months.

23. At Schedule 4 hereto: the Respondent encloses a copy of a notepad from the Claimant’s

account dated 27 December 2011 stating customer has been unhappy for the past nine months.

24. The Respondent denies that it is liable to the Claimant in respect to this element of the Claimant’s

claim.

c. The Claimant’s request to terminate his account without penalty

25. The Claimant is requesting to be released from their contract without penalty. The Respondent

denies that it is in breach of contract in relation to this dispute; as such it denies it should be required

to release the Claimant from contract.

26. If the Claimant wishes to cancel their contract then the Respondent can see no reason why

Clause 4.2.2 of the Agreement should not apply.

27. The Respondent denies that it is liable to the Claimant in respect to this element of the Claimant’s

claim.

The Respondent believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

I am duly authorised by the Respondent to sign this statement

Lesley Walker

Compliance Assistant

Dated: 05 July 2012

sadly apart from schedule one, which is their terms and conditions, the rest of the info contains a hell of a lot of personal info,... so looking, i think i wont bother attaching it here... as its mostly going to be blanked out,..

but i like this one:

02/07/2012 Customer Note Pad Maintenance cus_csm.4ge v.85271

+--------------------------------

NOTE PAD FOR - MR WAYNE xxxxxx ------------------------------+

| |

| |

|

+-- NOTE --------- INFORMATION ---------------++--- RESOLUTION --------------------------------+|

|

| Type: VINOTE - Merlin Important || Type: - ||

|

| Date: 29/05/2012 || Date: ||

|

+-----------------------------------------------++-----------------------------------------------+|

|

+------------------------------------------- NOTES ----------------------------------------------+|

|

| Transferred call from extention number : 42488 +-- PAGE --+||

|

| | 1 Of 2 |||

|

| cust asking why his Line rental went up from 7.50 to 8.14ukp. Discussed about +----------+||

|

| price increase (see prev note, this was discussed by prev rep already. He's not +-- NOTE --+||

|

| happy and would want to terminate the contract. Adv him about buy out fee for | 31 Of ** |||

|

| 133.21 and dont want to pay for it. I said I cannot xfer the call >> f5 +----------+||

|

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+|

|

Updated on: 2012-05-29 08:19:04 by Jackielyn Hacar CSS HacarJ1 |

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------

------

02/07/2012 Customer Note Pad Maintenance cus_csm.4ge v.85271

NOTE PAD FOR - MR WAYNE xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ------------------------------+

| |

| |

|

+-- NOTE --------- INFORMATION ---------------++--- RESOLUTION --------------------------------+|

|

|

| Date: 29/05/2012 || Date: ||

|

+-----------------------------------------------++-----------------------------------------------+|

|

+------------------------------------------- NOTES ----------------------------------------------+|

|

|

|

| accepting the buy out fee. cust freaking out and requested for a manager | 2 Of 2 |||

|

| and I said I can schedule a call back as we follow escalation process. He +----------+||

|

| didn't accepted that. now, cust wanting to talk to H/s faults as his h/s not +-- NOTE --+||

|

| picking up any sugnal on his place.... dialled 154 | 31 Of ** |||

|

| +----------+||

|

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+|

|

Updated on: 2012-05-29 08:19:04 by Jackielyn Hacar CSS HacarJ1 |

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------

** INFORMATION NOTES +

Accept Prev Page Next Page Search Prev Note Next Note

** INFORMATION NOTES +

Accept Next Page Search Prev Note Next Note

sechedule two is mostly a copy of their replies (but none of my emails to them supprisingly) with a lot of notes saying im not happy, and ive called and so on... (but none where i requested a SAR.... ETC either)

schedule three is a screen dump of an email sent from one member of the company stating i recieved this said text informing me of price increase... with no evidence, or attachments ETC! (im assuming my CISAS adjudicator will ask for said evidence, as my email prior to comments was forwarded to them)

schedule four is this:

NOTE PAD FOR - MR WAYNE xxxxxxxxxxxxx------------------------------+

| |

| |

|

|

|

| Date: 27/12/2011 || Date: ||

|

|

|

| Signal issue................... Network Problem. +-- PAGE --+||

|

| Cant use the phone..... | 1 Of 1 |||

|

| Customer very upset/unhappy. +----------+||

|

| From--past 9 months customer is facing this Problem. +-- NOTE --+||

|

| | 44 Of ** |||

|

| +----------+||

|

|

Updated on: 2011-12-27 20:00:33 by Ranjan Kumar -CSS -CVG KUMARR11

as an adjudicator has been assigned, does this mean CISAS has taken on the case, or does the adjudicator decide if its in the remit of CISAS

I'm on a similar mission with 3. Basically, if they don't like your complaint, they can just ignore it. If you have waited for more than 8 weeks, you can try one of the Ombudsman or CISAS. They are funded by the industry, so I have limited hope on those.

I just skipped that step altogether, wrote a final letter of warning before court proceedings, waited 7 days, and as I received no reply (similar to Orange's "we will not enter into any correspondence about this matter"), I completed a Money Claim Online form.

The most difficult aspect is to prepare a good particular of claim (statement of my case), but otherwise very straight forward, and as I'm claiming under £500, it's £35 cost for the claim, and if we go to hearing, another £55.

Now, if 3 ignore it, I'll obtain a judgement in default. If they fight it, no problem, I fancy my day in court. I suspect they may be jumpstarted into action.

Well worth a try when you hit a brickwall. I hope the judge takes a dim view of the company's attitude to complaints, so I can refer this to Ofcom as a case of "in the public interest".

Finally, consider a complaint to the Information Commissioner, who deals with failures under the DPA.

@robingonard... CISAS reply came today... Looks like its a day in court for myself...

lol, not supprised. just waiting for my SAR to come through (25th and still no response). I need my SAR to use as evidence in court.

the price rise itself is not my objection... I want my number... they want £130 to give it to me, despite me only needing to pay 30 until april now, - how can they justify this?...

Orange only go via CISAS, so since thats a lose... its onto court now...

Money Claim Online... i will google...

but FYI if your interested... here is my CISAS response (I LOST... big supprise eh)

Dear Mr.

Please find attached the adjudicator’s Decision in the above dispute.

In accordance with the rules, the customer now has six weeks to let us know whether they accept or reject the Decision, that is, the customer must tell us on or before 04/09/2012. Please note that this deadline cannot be amended or extended under any circumstances.

IF THE CUSTOMER WISHES TO ACCEPT THE DECISION THEY MUST TELL US WITHIN SIX WEEKS, IF THEY DO NOT THE COMPANY WILL NOT HAVE TO DO WHAT THE ADJUDICATOR SAYS.

You may advise us in writing, by fax, telephone or email.

Please note that the Decision can only be accepted or rejected. It is not open to review or appeal.

Should your claim have not succeeded please note the Company may now pursue any debt owing to them.

Rejection of the decision leaves you free to take your matter to court. Should you choose to pursue this course of action we suggest that you take independent legal advice from a solicitor or your local Citizen’s Advice.

Kind regards

Jade Sharpley

Case Administrator

Telephone: 020 7520 3814

IDRS Limited/ CISAS

International Dispute Resolution Centre

70 Fleet Street

London

EC4Y 1EU

www.idrs.ltd.uk

DECISION

by Dean R Taylor LLB (Hons)

An adjudicator appointed by CISAS

under the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme.

Decision date: 24 July 2012

Adjudication Reference: xxxxxxx

Between Mr Wayne xxxxxxxxxxx 1 and Everything Everywhere Limited trading as Orange2

 The claim is made by the customer, Mr Wayne xxxxxxxxxxx, against a telecommunication company, Everything Everywhere Limited trading as Orange.

 The claim dated 7 June 2012 is for compensation of £120.00, an apology, an explanation, a refund of monies paid to the company since March 2011 and cancellation of the contract without penalty.

 The position of the company is explained in its 5 July 2012 defence, which is disputed by the customer in his undated reply.

 The customer’s claim is that the company failed to notify him of a price increase, that he should be entitled to terminate his mobile phone contract without penalty as a consequence of the price increase and that he is receiving no signal on his handset inside and outside his home.

 The company denies any liability to the customer.

Decision

1. The claim does not succeed.

Main issues

2. I consider that the main issues in this adjudication are:

a. Whether the company has broken a term of the contract between it and the customer or failed in its duty of care.

b. Whether the reasons given by the customer are sufficient to justify the claim.

1 Customer’s address for correspondence: xxxxxxxxxxx.

2 Company’s address for correspondence: Mercia House, Senhouse Road, Lingfield Way, Darlington, County Durham DL1 4YG.

Background information

3. In order to succeed in a claim against the company the customer must prove on a balance of probabilities that the company has broken some term express or implied of the agreement which existed between them, or failed in the duty of care which the company owed to the customer and that as a result of this breach the customer has suffered loss. (A duty of care is a responsibility or a legal obligation of the company to avoid acts or omissions which can be reasonably foreseen to be likely to cause harm to others). If no such breach or loss is proved the company will not be liable to pay compensation however disappointed or upset the customer is.

4. The customer and the company are aware of the facts of this case. I do not propose to recount all the facts in the same manner and order as the parties have done in their documents except where it is necessary for the purposes of this decision. I have carefully considered all of the documents submitted by the parties in support of their submissions and presented to me. The parties should also be reassured that if I have not referred to a particular document or matter specifically, this should not be taken to mean that I have not considered it in reaching my decision.

Customer’s and company’s positions

5. The customer submits that the company failed to advise him of a price increase that occurred in January 2012. He submits that the company was required to give him notice of the price increase and to give him an opportunity to cancel of his contract early without penalty as the price increase was greater than the Retail Price Index at the relevant date . He submits that he would have cancelled the contract in January 2012, had he received notice of the price increase and his right to cancel without penalty, as his mobile phone had not been receiving a signal in the area where he lives.

6. The company's position as set out in its defence is that it denies liability for the claim. The company submits that it provided the customer with notice of the price increase by text on 2 December 2011. It explains that the customer had no right to cancel his minimum term contract without penalty as its Terms and Conditions only allow this where the price increase is more than the RPI, which it submits was not the case here. The company further submits that it does not guarantee 100% coverage in all places at all times. It submits that if the customer wishes to terminate his contract early he should be liable for the contractual termination fee. The company therefore rejects the customer's claim.

Adjudicator’s findings and reasons

7. I find that:

a. The customer seems to be raising three separate issues in his complaint. First, the company didn’t give him notice of the price increase. Second, that he should be entitled to cancel his contract as a result of the price increase and, third, that he has experienced poor reception in the area where he lives.

b. The customer submits that he never received any notice of the price increase that was implemented by the company in January 2012 until he logged into his online account on 29 May 2012 to check his bills. I note that the company submits that it has checked its technical delivery logs and these confirm that a text message was sent to the customer's mobile number in December 2011, informing him of the proposed price increase. In support of its submission, the company has presented an e-mail from its Decisioning Developer, Andrew Coe, of its Consumer Planning and Decisioning Base Management department, which states that the text message was delivered successfully to the customer's number on 2 December 2011 at 9.06am. Having considered all the submissions and evidence of the parties, I am not satisfied that the customer has submitted sufficient proof that the company failed to provide him with sufficient notice of the price increase that it implemented in January 2012. I am not therefore satisfied that the company has breached its contract or failed in its duty of care to the customer in this respect.

c. The customer seeks to have his contract terminated without penalty as a consequence of the price rise introduced by the company. He has referred me to Clause 9.6 of Ofcom's General Conditions, which requires him to show that he has suffered a “material detriment” as a result of the price increase. He also submits that the company's Terms and Conditions breach the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulation 1999. It must be borne in mind that, under Rule 2(j) of the CISAS Rules, the dispute must not involve a complicated issue of law. I consider the issues of whether a customer suffered “material detriment” and whether Clause 4.3 of the company's Terms and Conditions amount to a breach the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 to be complicated issues of law. Therefore, I am unable to make any finding in relation to the customer's submission that he was entitled to cancel his contract as a consequence of the price rise which Orange imposed on all of its pay monthly customers in January 2012.

d. I am mindful that the company submits that the customer's complaint about poor reception falls outside the remit of the CISAS scheme pursuant to Rule 3©. Rule 3© states that customers must normally apply to the scheme within nine months of first complaining to the company. I note that whilst the company submits that the customer first called it regarding signal issues on 21 August 2011, no call logs, or other evidence, has been submitted by either party to confirm that any complaint was made by the customer to the company, about signal problems, more than nine months from the date

that he referred his complaint to this scheme. As the earliest record, in the system logs submitted by the company, of the customer complaining about an issue regarding the use of his phone and its network is dated 27 December 2011, which was within nine months of the customer applying to this scheme, I find that this part of the customer's complaint falls within my remit and the jurisdiction of this scheme.

e. The customer seeks to have his contract cancelled and claims a refund of the charges he has paid to the company since March 2011. He submits that he cannot use his mobile phone at his home address (outside and inside) as it receives no signal. He states that he has tried numerous handsets and considers this to be a network fault, rather than a fault with his handset. I note, however, that the customer has held an account with the company since 31 December 2007 and his latest contract and upgrade started on 2 April 2011. Given that the only evidence presented by the parties of the customer making a formal complaint about any signal issues relates to a telephone call that occurred on 27 December 2011, I am not satisfied that the customer has submitted sufficient evidence of him experiencing a persistent issue with the use of his mobile phone dating back to March 2011.

f. Furthermore, I note that Clause 3 of the company's Terms and Conditions clearly states that the company's services are only available within range of the base stations that make up its network, that it cannot guarantee a continuous fault free service and service coverage may vary from place to place. Given the company's Terms and Conditions, and the lack of any substantive evidence of the customer raising a complaint regarding the company's network and the use of his phone during the time that he has held a contract with the company and 27 December 2011, I am not satisfied that the customer has submitted sufficient proof of the company breaching its contract or failing in its duty of care to him in this respect.

g. As I have found that the customer has failed to prove that the company either breached the terms of its contract with him or that it failed in the duty of care which it owed to him, I find that the customer has not justified his entitlement to receive compensation, an apology, an explanation, a refund of any monies he has paid to the company since March 2011 or termination of his contract without penalty. I therefore conclude that the customer's claim cannot succeed.

Conclusion

8. My conclusion on the main issues is that:

a. The customer has not provided sufficient evidence that proves the company has broken a term of the contract between it and the customer or failed in its duty of care.

b. The customer has not provided sufficient evidence to justify his claim.

9. Therefore, my decision is that the customer has failed to prove his claim.

Dean R Taylor LLB (Hons)

Adjudicator

amazing eh, in court considering the logs orange refer to were not presented... simply an email from another guy in the company, it would not really be relied upon as evidence... but i have to prove i didnt recieve said text message... how am i supposed to do this?

as many have said, i feel its CISAS for the company. not the complainant... therefore my response being:

I am rather amazed at how this complaint has been actioned. I was warned by numerous people that CISAS mediation is not reasonable to the customer. As i stated in my response, It is not possible for me to submit the "evidence" requested, as EverythingEverywhere will not even action the Subject Access Report required to do so. (Which itself breaches the Data Protection Act 1998) So considering Orange have already breached numerous other UK legislations, it is not very suprising.

I was informed by reply that the Adjudicator would ask for the evidence from Orange, as they would not supply such to myself. I see that this is not the case.

There is no point in anybody actually putting a claim through CISAS, as i see it... because you do not follow the relevant codes of practice, and will always side with the company - as is the case in this instance.

I would like to see a copy of your complaints proceedure for this case.

Yours,

Wayne xxxxxxxxx

I am also currently writing my complaint to ICO about lack of SAR response. My payment went out of my bank account via card payment (cheque still hasnt been cashed from sister)... As i have evidence of all attempts to complete a SAR I still see that the 24th (yesterday) was the actual end of the 40 day limit. I have also recieve no futher response from Orange in relation to my SAR, or any other complaint... Including lack of bills for my Orange landline (something i require to complete my tax return - cost of "business calls" cannot be estimated and all)

Money Claim online... So, in total i recon, £250 is what im "owed" (contract payments, sar fee and "compensation")

so:

Claim AmountFeeDoes not exceed £300.00£25.00

result?

so if it goes to court, i might be out of pocket for another £55... but:

do i add the 25 and 55 to the claim amount, to take it to 330? so 35 fee... or is the fees added at the end?

money claim online website:

Submit Claim - Guidance

Step 1 of 8

Each step is completed by clicking 'Next' at the bottom of the page, which automatically confirms and saves the information you have entered. Any error messages displayed at the top of a page must be corrected before moving on to the next step.

A request can be saved at any stage by clicking 'Save' at the bottom of the page. You can return to your request within 28 days to complete and submit it. Any incomplete requests will be deleted automatically from the system after this period.

You must have the following information before you can begin your claim:

full name (including title) of the person(s) you wish to make a claim against

full address (including postcode) of the person(s) you wish to make a claim against

the exact amount you wish to claim (including any interest, where applicable)

details of the claim, ie what it is about

your credit/debit card details

a valid email address

You should also provide the person(s) date of birth if known.

You must pay a fee to issue a claim online. The amount you have to pay depends on the amount you are claiming - see the table below for a list of the fees.

The claim number allocated to your claim must be quoted in all correspondence with the court or help desk

http://hmctsformfinder.direct.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/ex160a-eng.pdf = looks like i wont have to pay the fees? if i read this correctly too...

I earn about 16000, have 2 kids and wife living with me, and get 60/week child tax credits... (will change soon as son was only born on 21st)...

so it states that if i earn the following, i get a full remission of the fee:

Gross annual

income with:

Single Couple

No children £13,000 £18,000

1 Child £15,930 £20,930

2 Children £18,860 £23,860

3 Children £21,790 £26,790

4 Children £24,720 £29,720

£2,930 for each additional child

----

should also be able to get legal aid... unsure as to if its "worth" consulting a solicitor, but shouldnt have to pay for it? - amazing that many more people dont go to court... considering it wont cost me anything... its worth the shot... however: i also read this:

How claims for less than £5,000 are dealt with

Going to court

dg_197224.jpgWatch a video on what happens at a small claims hearing

‘Small claims’ are money claims for £5,000 or less, and are usually heard in the ‘small claims track’ of the county court. You can usually represent yourself in court.

The judge decides what happens to a claim. They will look at:

• what both sides say
  • the amount and type of claim
  • how simple it will be to prepare the court hearing

You’ll be able to represent yourself without a solicitor if you wish to do so.

If the amount is over £5,000 but is a simple case and both sides want it heard as a small claim the judge may agree. In these cases the winning party can usually claim costs.

does this mean orange can claim against me if i lose?

An interesting read, it seems to me that you lost your CISAS claim for two reasons, one is that a lot of the issues raised fell outside of the scope of the scheme, it seems that Orange told you that this would be the case before you made the claim and you chose to proceed anyway? The second is that like in any civil claim the burden of proof lies with you the person who made the allegations, but because you were arguing rightly or wrongly about completing some paperwork they sent you for a SAR, you did not have any evidence from their records and they did have evidence to support the statements they made, so you failed to prove your claim. It is worth pointing out at this junction that although the court process promotes disclosure you still have to provide evidence to prove any allegations you make on the balance of probabilities, (i.e. is it more likely than not that what you say is the truth and can you prove it). I'd suggest that you look on this as a learning exercise and consider strongly whether you can prove with evidence to support your position any allegations you make in your court claim, before you make them, it looks like you got an independent solicitor as an adjudicator appointed by CISAS, if you couldn't provide evidence to convince a solicitor, look at the evidence you do have and consider whether or not you can prove your allegations to a judge, also consider getting some professional legal advice on the merits of your claim, you may find yourself facing off as a lay person against qualified legal professionals from the Legal Department of a multinational company which could be daunting. Orange can make a counter claim for their legal fees should they defend the case, if a judge ends up deciding in their favour you could face paying some or all of their legal fees, so a claim is not without risk, especially as they are likely to be represented by a professional solicitor or in house legal council, so their fees could run to hundreds if not thousands of pounds, they may also have to travel large distances to defend the claim and they can attempt to reclaim these fees from you as well IIRC. Also just a suggestion, you may want to consider dialing down the levels of anger/exasperation/rhetoric in further correspondence/submissions if you take the matter further, stick to the cold hard rational facts which you can prove with evidence, judges like facts and they are used to dealing with solicitors/barristers who have no personal investment in the points they are arguing, try not to come across too strongly in your submissions or in person if the matter ends up in front of a judge, some judges can be unsympathetic to litigants in person (people representing themselves) especially if they think your too invested in the issues or your claim lacks merit or is vexatious.

Wayne

I am not surprised with the adjudicator's response, Orange are clearly avoiding to disclose the relevant data for your case, hence my initial worry that without the power to force Orange to disclose, he could not come to any other conclusion.

In the county court, you can obtain various forms of orders to force disclosure, but the ICO is a good bet.

I'm not sure you can get legal aid, my recollection is that it is aimed at criminal cases. In the Small Claims Court, people are normally representing themselves. And they can't claim costs other than the court costs, only if it is in the over £5000 fast track, can they claim solicitors costs. In any event, costs are always at the courts' discretion, so you can object to them.

Thanks guys for your input.

@Human Writes... Very detailed, and i failed to notice the adjudicator was infact a solicitor :p Cheers for that.

I have sent a SAR request to orange in the post and via email, the DPA act states any written request is valid, and request for payment cannot be used to extend the 40 day time limit. (or the request of further information). the cheque that i sent was not cashed, although the RM tracked item was delivered. So i called and paid over the telephone to a CS rep. and made them note on the notes that it was a SAR request fee via card. (so in essence, the date at the very latest can be taken as 13/7/12 to start the 40 days.

However, i noticed that i have 14 days from the submission of claim in court to present all further evidence (IE: Orange logs), so need to wait until my SAR is returned to proceed.

I will keep this updated as and when... but TBF, the only reason im progressing being that I feel Orange are a joke in this matter...

(one of the low level CS reps credited my account for £30 to take me to april, and reduced my priceplan to £3 a month.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Wayne,

I have just spent a good two hours skimming the exchanges between you and Orange. You are an absolute legend, and even if you put in a massive effort, and didn't get the answer you wanted, you can take comfort in the fact thaqt you wound them up a treat, and the cost to them in terms of staff time etc. would have ballooned out of all proportion! Still, seems to me they have some nasty weasels in their organisation and it's good that they get challenged and challenged hard.

I have a fairly big complaint against them myself so totally empathise with your plight. Their customer care is beyond a joke, and I will do my very best to stir things up as much as possible :)

Interesting to know that CISAS didn't help. Thinking maybe I'll go straight to the courts.

All the best

Hermes