Repair shop refuses to return mobile

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4076 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I handed in my phone more than two months ago and since then spend a nice sum phoning them and hearing excuse after excuse. Finally I asked to speak with the manager but "he is in the office and unavailable". I know this is just a phone but this betrail of trust makes it somehow more important. I read here about trading standards and CAB but it seems just a way of spending more on calls for "free" advice. I have their receipt so is there anything that can be done other than MCOL? Do I need to do anything before starting a claim?

You need to give a few more details like how long have you had the phone, did you hand it in for repair and for what, is the phone on contract and of so with whom. Then people will be able to advise you.

I had the phone for a while but I didn't buy it there nor it is under contract. I just took it there to be repaired because they are a shop that repairs phones/gadgets. Their name is GSM Repairs and the shop is in Birmingham. I called them more than 10 times and they always give excuses and say that they will call when it is there to be collected. They never call so I call them and then the cycle begins again.

Is it an expensive phone and did they give you a quote/price for the repair and how long it would take?

You need to write to them in the first instance detailing that you want your phone back, preferbly repaired, and give them 7 days to respond or you will take them to court.

Thanks a lot raydetinu.

Well it was expensive at the time. It looked brand new but it didn't turn on.

They cost more than £200 back then but it is a Nokia and their value is declining fast that's why I kept calling them.

They said that since it was still in the warranty they would send it to Nokia to get it repaired free and it would take about a week. That was about two months ago. Then several times they said it would be back in the next couple of days. Then they admitted it was lost by Nokia. Then they said a replacement was coming from Nokia. I asked to speak with the manager when we fell on the "will be back in the next couple of days" cycle again. I must have spent £10 in calls alone by now.

I will send them a Formal Complaint Letter as I read here, but what do I ask exactly? To have a replacement in the shop within 7 days? What would I accept as replacement?

And would the courts work?

Sorry for so many questions. Hope I can help someone with a problem.

give them 7 days to offer you a suitable replacement or the value of the phone.

if not then take them to court, you will need some sort of value though! the cost to buy one now on ebay say? as i is an old model.

• 3 weeks later...

I already sent the letter, got no reply so will start claim but how do I find who to claim against. Is the firm name on the receipt enough? What if is just a trading name?

• 2 months later...

If anyone cares, I started the claim, got no answer, requested judgement and issued an warrant.

Now I received a piece of paper from the court saying that the store moved so they won't recover anything.

I have checked and they are very much there and operating.

I had to pay £130 for this.

Is this court thing some sort of fraud? When I call their number all I get is pre recorded random messages...

Hi

Just a query when you put the court documents in for your claim did you name GSM Repair and R3 Grp Limited as they state they are part of R3 Grp Limited?

If you also look at GSM Repair Terms and condition it states:

Payment:

Our standard payment terms are: Payment upon completion using our instant paypal or Google checkout option from your customer login area, or payment with your order using cheque payment (made payable to R3 Grp Limited). Cheque payments will be subject to normal clearance delays prior to us shipping your order (normally no more than 5 working days, though occasionally longer).

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks stu for checking it out.

I did not as I based the claim on the receipt they gave in the shop which is evidence. These guys appear to be opperating under several different names.

But now my main worry is if the court is a serious thing or will they just keep my money and do nothing because I can't even phone them. They just waste your phone money in endless recorded messages loops (read out slowly slow).

• 2 weeks later...

Were they a reputable company? I mean where did you find their details. If they operate under several different names it sounds pretty bogus to me. Is their number an 09 number by any chance?

Yes Yes, I'm weird. I tried being normal once, was the most boring 5 minutes of my life!:madgrin:

• 5 months later...

I searched mobile repair companies, took addresses down from 192.com and then I went there. They are real but dishonest.

Now my worry is that the court is doing nothing about it, even after I forked out more than hundred pounds.

This court business looks very shady, they send tiny slips of paper with no reference to who they are, with spelling mistakes, no names and no contacts at all. MCOL customer service passes responsibility around. An embarrassment for an alleged first world country.