• Tweets

• Thanks for updating us. Your decision is very understandable. Don't worry. You have done very well standing your ground against these people in a way you have and you have got everything you wanted bar just a very few quid. Congratulations
    • Whatever the nuances of the law, they will be lost on OPS, who like the rest of the PPcs never bother to get planning permission, ever. When they get a new contract they don't want to delay issuing PCNs by deigning to follow the law, especially as the period when they take over and the parking restrictions are new is the time when they can catch most drivers out.
    • I had some contact with this company earlier in my working life but I'm afraid there's not a lot I can suggest that you haven't already done. During your grandfather's time  British Celanese was a subsidiary of Courtaulds. Courtaulds was subsequently (after your grandfather had stopped working there) acquired by Alzo Nobel. They in turn closed down the Spondon site and sold it. I have no idea what the number is that you are trying to call. It's a Derby (Spondon) area code but the number appears not to be allocated. From my slim knowledge of the history of the company I would have expected your grandfather's pension to be in the Alzo Nobel (CPS) Pension Scheme.  But Willis Tower Watson are the Pension Scheme Administrator of that scheme and would be the people who should know if your grandfather had contributed. Is your grandfather certain he contributed? Joining pension schemes wasn't compulsory in those days. Or might he have got his contributions returned when he left them? That happened sometimes back then. Sorry not to be of more help.      
    • I am sorry I am not aware of this report from IAS assessors? The Court will consider my application at a online hearing in June. The Court instructed me to send Back copies of my sons condition proving he could not have been the driver I have heard nothing further. My son is not aware of any proceedings I have not involved him to avoid causing him distress, he has been sectioned a fair few times and I need to avoid this happening.
    • I am very pleased that the Court has taken the decision to allow you to  represent your son and hope that he is happy enough with that to relieve the stress he will also be feeling. I do agree that Bank parking are so insensitive, greedy, horrible etc etc to continue proceedings considering  in what it is a very minor case of a wrong number plate . Even their  own  IAS Assessors, who are normally hopelessly biased in favour of their members, went out on a limb and said  " The Operator's evidence shows no payment for the Appellant's vehicle, or anything similar. It does show two payments for the same registration in quick succession. I would take a reasonable guess, based on the circumstances described, that the person paying has paid for the registration of the person they assisted again." That is damning evidence and you must take that report with you as well as including that in your Witness Statement which we will help you with. I would expect that Bank would discontinue the case at that point.  But I am sorry to say  that you should not count on it.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Protection from harassment act1997 - ** TRIBUNAL WON **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4119 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am in the process of making an appeal for a grievance I bought about with my line manager in my office. To cut a long story short, he has been bullying, harassing and intimidating me on and off for over two years. The final straw came about in February this year and I started to document everything daily that was said and done to me. Others saw what was happening and I put them down as witnessess, but they told me they were too frightened to back me because of the worry of them losing their jobs as the manager was the hirer and firer. Anyways, last week the outcome of all my 2 page statement was trashed by the line managers boss ( who is his friend) and he said what was done and said couldnt be proved ( as it was the line managers word against mine) !!!

I am now going to appeal against the outcome as it was seriously flawed and a lot of the information I had put on my statement had been conveniently left out by them. They had 6 weeks to pull my statement apart, and get to my witnessess, so I knew I was on a hiding to nothing.

What I really want to know is can I use the 'Protection of harassment act 1997' to sue the company as they did not protect me from the bullyer which as a company, it is their duty to protect their staff.

I have read up quite a lot about th 1997 act and I am sure I can use this as my saviour, but just wanted to run it past you others first. I realise it will be a battle but if I don't carry this to the end the bullyiers will flurish and thats how they gain their strength.

Hi,

Im not sure how the Protection from Harassment Act transfers into employment as its a civil law. I'll have to look some things up.

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

This might help a little:

If someone is harassed at their place of work they could decide to sue their employer for damages using the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 rather than by going to an Employment Tribunal.

In some circumstances this route could be simpler particularly if there could be technical arguments as to whether they were an employee or a self employed contractor. Those employment law technicalities would not be relevant in any legal claim under the act. All that would be relevant is the fact that the harassment occurred, the damage it caused and whether the employer was vicariously liable for permitting, or not preventing the Harassment.

The Law relating to Vicarious Liability was clarified and extended by the House of Lords in the case of Lister v Hesley Hall Ltd [2001] UKHL 22 and following this in the case of Majrowski v. Guy's and St. Thomas' NHS Trust [2006] UKHL 34 the House of Lords held that an Employer would be vicariously liable under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 for damages arising from Harassment of an employee by other employees. The Time Limit for bringing a claim for damages under section 3 of The Protection from Harassment Act 1997. is 6 years which is far longer than the 3 month time time limit for bringing claims for Racial or Sexual Discrimination.

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

Hi Ibruk, I have been looking on the the net re the 1997 act and although it was bought about for harassment re the Jill Dando case, it has now been integrated into the workplace. It seems that instead of taking action against the person who has been bullying etc, the 1997 act gives the victim the power to sue the employer, as apparently they the employer have a responsibility toward their staff to make sure they protect them from bullying/harassment/intimidation etc, because they should be aware what is going on in their workplace. The timespan is also much longer to bring about an action using the 1997 act as it is 6 years, and not the normal 3 months that a tribunal has. I have only come across this 1997 protection from harassment act over the past couple of days whilst scouring the net for advice. I was just hoping someone else had used it as a tool or knew a little more about it. Thanks for taking the time to respond and I await your findings.:wink:

The flood gates of bringing claims under the protection from harassment act were slammed shut by the court of appeal in the most recent case of `Conn v Sunderland city council`2007 which is now case law [google].......it is a non starter.

Did you go sick at any time? Bullying is likely to bring on menatl illness problems such as depression, anxiety and the like. if the employer has made you ill and that illness is one which has lasted a year, likely to last a year and it affects your day to day living that may open the door to discrimination allegation.

Do they have a bullying policy, equality policy and sickness policy? Are you working in a private company or public corporation?

Are you a member of a union or have legal protection cover (union normally worse than useless... legal protection = good. look on home contents insurance for clause) ?

Don't get hung up on one piece of legislation Employment Law is HUGE and if you tell us your story I am sure there is something in there that Caggers can help with.

Wow, thank you for all your advise. I didnt realise there were so many people out there that cared. Firstly, I have just been signed off work with work related stress and depression. They do have a bullying policy, but from what I can make out its for their use as I have since found out others have been bullied there and the company have covered it up, in fact I was told a few days ago, another employee suffered at the same hands of my tormentor last year and to shut her up the company paid her off then got her to sign a 5 year gagging order !! Its so outrageous what these company's get away with. They make peoples lives a misery and dont give a damn.

I don't have legal protection insurance as it put a higer premium on the house insurance so I didnt include it. The company I work for do not have a union. Its a very large company that everyone would have heard of, and would come across in their everday life , but I darent say who they are because you never know whos reading these boards. Thanks again and I welcome everyones input

When was the grievance heard? When did you go sick, before or after the determination of the grievance?

Symptom of stress and depression will no doubt have occurred prior to the doctor singing you off.... what I am trying to establish is when, in law, a 'disability' will have satisfied. Raising a grievance and an allegation of discrimination and harassment under the Equality Act and then suffering a 'detriment' may make them guilty of victimisation. So timing and intention is important. The grievance need not actually say the words 'discrimination' but the facts may amount to just that and the size of the company and their knowledge of Employment Law and matters will mean that they should have realised that a discrimination may have occurred.

In your appeal you could start to raise the specific allegations that you have been discriminated against using the same facts that you used before. Look at the Equality Act http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/contents

Don't be surprised that others 'friends' (they are not friends they are colleagues) abandon you, you are on your own fighting this. It can and will get dirty especially if you issue proceedings... and that MAY be what you need to do to force the issue into the open... companies even large ones, hate having to spend money defending cases.

There may have been a break down in trust between you... you most likely will lose this job... brace yourself... you have to make your mind up if you fight or flee and regain your health. There is no shame in either merely a personal choice.

Hi

This is from ACAS website:

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks again for all your advice.

Papasmurf, I was signed off sick with work related Stress and depression the week after the outcome of the grievance. I lodged an appeal the day before I was signed off. I have realised that the people i worked with were not my friends at all, they were just people that I came into contact with during my working day. They have all covered up what was going on and to be honest I don't blame them because they are frightened for their jobs. If I lose my job then so be it. 10 years agoI went into the job with dignity and loyalty, I may not come out with loyalty but I sure will come out with dignity. They may think they can cover up the bullying etc that goes on in that office but I will fight them to the end no matter what. At least then my concience will be clear and I know I would have come out of there with my head held high. I will not let them try to trash my good name with their lies and deceit, and what ever it takes I will do 'battle' with them. :-)

Thanks again for all your advice.

Papasmurf, I was signed off sick with work related Stress and depression the week after the outcome of the grievance. I lodged an appeal the day before I was signed off. I have realised that the people i worked with were not my friends at all, they were just people that I came into contact with during my working day. They have all covered up what was going on and to be honest I don't blame them because they are frightened for their jobs. If I lose my job then so be it. 10 years agoI went into the job with dignity and loyalty, I may not come out with loyalty but I sure will come out with dignity. They may think they can cover up the bullying etc that goes on in that office but I will fight them to the end no matter what. At least then my concience will be clear and I know I would have come out of there with my head held high. I will not let them try to trash my good name with their lies and deceit, and what ever it takes I will do 'battle' with them. :-)

Thats The spirit !!!!.......and be assured that the madari will be giving you all the support you need in doing `battle` dont let them rob you of your integrity.

Thanks Madari, Its the people here that make it bearable. Knowing that others have gone through the same and can offer good advice.

I found out yesterday that this same thing happened to another member of staff in my office last year by the same 'bully'. Apparently the management tried to 'fit' the victim up after he put in complaints about his tormenter, but the company came unstuck when proved they flouted the law and the victim got a solicitor to challenge them. And what did the company do about it, they paid the victim off and made him sign a 3 year gagging contract !!! dispicable, absolutely corrupt and dispicable.

Hi

You will find that this sort of thing goes on all around the country. HR is there to protect the company and not the employee ....HR in my book stands for `human remains`

Good luck

I think it should stand for 'Houdini Rouges' , as they seem to wriggle out of everything !!

I'm sure you are right that they are 100% on the side of the employer not the employee, as I seem to be not only fighting the bully but them as well. I have absolutely no trust in anyone at my workplace at all. Its seems like one big conspiracy.:mad2:

Hi Binary1

That is definetly the Spirit and as madari has pointed out we will be there to help you.

Now you need to be as underhand as they are being get copies of anything that will help your case if you have a mobile that records or a dictaphone record anything thats said to you play them at their own game.

Now if they have CCTV by any chance then request copies of that footage these may help:

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I think it should stand for 'Houdini Rouges' , as they seem to wriggle out of everything !!

I'm sure you are right that they are 100% on the side of the employer not the employee, as I seem to be not only fighting the bully but them as well. I have absolutely no trust in anyone at my workplace at all. Its seems like one big conspiracy.:mad2:

HR are [edit], I informed the HR manager of my plight and illness thinking it would help, this was also in my witness statement. One the day, the manager's name didn't even come up in the ET hearing. That HR manager has a lot to answer for! One big conspiracy like you say. I couldn't agree more!

Good on all the people on this site for keeping positive through hard times....wishing you all the best! :)

Edited by honeybee13
Removing pejorative words, please refrain from personal insults.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Sorry to have been dormant for a while but a lot has been going on re my problem.

I have been signed off work for a further 2 months with depression ( due to sexual harassment and bullying) and my GP has arranged for counselling which I have now started. The thing I wanted to ask was, I have just received a phone call from Occupational Health and they asked me if I would like to go to a 'meeting' with them to 'descuss' my health issues. I told her I was already going to counselling through my GP and did not want to attend OH as I felt this would not be of benefit to me. OH is on the premises of my employer and to be totally honest I do not want to set foot in the builiding until I am well enough and ready to do so. I feel OH will be on the side of my employer as they obviously are a part of the company so I wouldnt trust them or anyone else connected with my employer. They have asked me if they can write to my doctor to get some medical info from him and have sent me a form to complete to give them permission to do so.

What I wanted to know is, do I have the right to refuse to attend OH, and should I give them written permission to contact my GP. I have nothing to fear with my health notes as I have not been off sick for over two years and have had no previous health issues, but because my employer has conspired against me I have no faith in them whatsoever to be honest and above board.

I am very suspiciuos with anything to do with my employer as they have got staff to lie in the Formal grievance hearing statements and I am at present waiting for the appeal hearing. I have sent an ET1 off to the tribunal to make sure in stays within the time limit for making a claim.

Edited by Binary1
spellin mistakes

OH are there to advise the employer on the medical aspects of your illness. Without information, either by being examined by them or your GP notes, they will have to make decisions about your employment without that information.

You will struggle to get the ET to side with you if you have denied your employer access to your medical records.

This might go against everything that you want to do - but on leading up to the tribunal - you need to be seem as the reasonable party. Don't worry about what the employer does, just explain your actions and think is this what is reasonable? The tribunals like reasonable people!

Employers are always unreasonable when it comes to things like this, they will deny everything, with no supporting evidence - but as long as you are seen as having acted reasonable then this will stand you in good stead in front of the tribunal.

Hello there.

You can ask to see the report by your GP before it's sent and if you don't agree with all of it, I think I'm right in saying you can ask for it to be changed.

I also think that work shouldn't ask about your whole medical history, just the relevant parts.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

You can ask for it to be changed, as long as you are not making the DR lie for you! But you can get it re-phrased etc. Normally the employers will send a questionairre rather than a simple "write a report"

• 6 months later...

HI,

An update to my case.

I went to my tribunal this week and won! :-D

I have cleared my name and the person who caused all the problems toward me was tied up in knots and shown to be the liar I had said they were.

I will be putting all this behind me now and getting on with my life without all this hanging over me anymore.

I am glad I carried on with my case, as there were many times I wanted to throw in the towel, but had I have done that that person would have carried on with their awful regime.

I have found another job which I start on Monday, and I am very happy with the way things have turned out now.

Thanks for all your help when I needed it.