• Tweets

• Is all of this actually on the signage? Don't remember seeing that much detail on other threads.
    • If I have learnt one thing from this forum, it's not to call and communicate via email. I passed this info on to her and they are pushing for her to call them.    "Unfortunately, you will need to call us. The conversation won’t be so black and white as to therefore type over email. In a nutshell we can confirm that the request to not pay for 3 months we cannot put in place"  I emailed them back on her behalf and said that what ever is discussed over the phone will need to be put in an email so that she can review it properly. No decisions will be made on that phone call.    "Once we speak to you on the phone we will follow up with an email to confirm the options discussed. [Phone number]"   Why are they pushing for a phone call? If its not so black and white, why can they then follow up with an email?  
    • Appreciate input Andy, updated: IN THE ******** County Court Claim No. [***] BETWEEN: LC Asset 2 S.A.R.L CLAIMANT AND [***] DEFENDANT ************ _________________________ ________ WITNESS STATEMENT OF [***] _________________________ ________ I, [***], being the Defendant in this case will state as follows;     I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim.   1. I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much-reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already written off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimant’s witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment. As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party. 2. The Claim relates to an alleged Credit Card agreement between the Defendant and Bank of Scotland plc. Save insofar of any admittance it is accepted that the Defendant has had contractual agreements with Bank of Scotland plc in the past, the Defendant is unaware as to what alleged debt the Claimant refers. The Defendant has not entered any contract with the Claimant. 3. The Defendant requested a copy of the CCA on the 24/12/2022 along with the standard fee of £1.00 postal order, to which the defendant received a reply from the Claimant dated 06/02/2023. To this date, the Claimant has failed to disclose a valid agreement and proof as per their claim that this is enforceable, that Default Notice and Notice of Assignment were sent to and received by the Defendant, on which their claim relies. The Claimant is put to strict proof to verify and confirm that the exhibit *** is a true copy of the agreement and are the true Terms and Conditions as issued at the time of inception of the online application and execution of the agreement. 4. Point 3 is noted. The Claimant pleads that a default notice has been served upon the defendant as evidenced by Exhibit [***]. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 5. Point 6 is noted and disputed. The Defendant cannot recall ever having received the notice of assignment as evidenced in the exhibit marked ***. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 6. Point 11 is noted and disputed. See 3. 7. Point 12 is noted, the Defendant doesn’t recall receiving contact where documentation is provided as per the Claimants obligations under CCA. In addition, the Claimant pleads letters were sent on dates given, yet those are not the letters evidenced in their exhibits *** 8. Point 13 is noted and denied. Claimant is put to strict proof to prove allegations. 9. The Claimant did not provide a true copy of the CCA in response to the Defendants request of 21/12/2022. The Claimant further claims that the documents are sufficient to pursue a Judgement and are therefore copies of original documents in their possession. Conclusion 10. Without the Claimant providing a valid true copy of the executed Credit agreement that complies with the CCA, the Claimant has no grounds on which to enforce this alleged debt. 11. The Claimant has been unjustly enriched at the expense of the Defendant by purchasing bulk debt at a greatly reduced cost and subrogating for the original creditor in trying to recuperate the full amount of the original debt 12. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. On receipt of this claim I could not recall the precise details of the agreement or any debt and sought clarity from the claimant by way of a Section 78 request. The Claimant failed to comply. I can only assume as this was due to the Claimant not having any enforceable documentation and issuing a claim in hope of an undefended default judgment.   Statement of Truth I, ********, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in it’s truth. Signed: _________________________ _______ Dated: _____________________
    • Morning,  I am hoping someone can help, I am posting on behalf of my friend so I will try and provide as much info as possible.  Due health reasons, she is currently not working and unable to pay her contractual car finance payments. She emailed 247 Money and asked for a 3 month payment holiday, they refused this straight away with no reasons as to why. They have told her that instead she can make a payment of £200. She is currently getting £400+ a month ssp so this is not acceptable. She went back to them and explained she cannot make this payment and they have not offered an alternative plan. Its £200 or she falls into default.  She is now panicking as she does not want her car to be taken away. What options does she have?  Thank you, 
    • Read these 6 things you can do to be empathetic to other people’s views and perspectives.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Another NCO Question!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4358 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there!

I'm hoping I've put this in the right place - apologies if I haven't but I'm a bit rattled at the moment; thanks to our lovely friends at NCO.

Basically Orange decided to pass me over to NCO (without warning or informing me that they were doing so) and because I knew the debt was mine and Orange flatly refused to discuss setting up a payment plan; I thought that agreeing to pay in installments of £50 a month to someone that actually seemed reasonable was the way to go.

The direct debit was set up and two months went by with the payments going through absolutely no problem.

Fast forward to today and I get a phone call from the lovely NCO people regarding the "£2000+ on your account that you'll be paying off today"...

My face looked a little like this :!: for a moment while I wondered what on Earth this woman was talking about.

I finally got a word in edgeways and asked her what was going on - the £50 had been taken at the beginning of the previous 2 months and I'd not been contacted at all to say it hadn't come out this month so I was a bit floored to hear that I suddenly owed over £2000.

Apparently NCO has *tried* to take the £50 and it failed (I don't know how, as my account had plenty of money for them to take it...) so they decided to cancel the direct debit completely and then wait for about 3 weeks before telling me.

They are now telling me that it's my fault that the payment wasn't made, it's my fault that the direct debit "had to be" cancelled and it's my fault for not checking my bank account every single day to make sure they were paid.

The man I spoke to then went on to tell me:

"It's your debt, it's your fault for getting into it in the first place and it's your responsibility to make sure we get our money. So don't give me excuses about being disabled; it's all on you."

(I am disabled, I'm unable to leave my flat unassisted so I can't just go toddling off up the road to check my bank balance every day; which I explained to NCO...Their response was to laugh...Charming.)

Anyway, when I asked why I hadn't been contacted sooner; either by phone or by a letter in the mail the man became a bit more aggressive towards me and wouldn't (or couldn't) answer me.

I then asked him if the direct debit had been returned; why hadn't I been notified by my bank (I get email alerts about this type of thing) about a returned direct debit charge and he couldn't answer that either.

I was then told that if I wanted to reinstate the payment plan I would have to pay £50 using my debit card and then pay another £50 by direct debit on June 1st.

I do not feel at all comfortable giving them my card details and my bank has told me categorically that I should not pay them over the phone as it sounds a bit (in their words exactly) "dodgy".

They also told me that the way NCO told me that the direct debit was reinstated is totally wrong - NCO have to contact the bank and ask for a new code and it's set up from there.

My bank have also told me that if the direct debit was returned, I would be charged and they looked as far into the future as they could on my account and guess what...?

NO upcoming charges at all.

So my question now is what on earth do I do?

The way that NCO have done things just seems really dodgy and very poor business practice; the way they spoke to me is just ridiculous and even my bank have said that it doesn't sound right at all.

Any advice would be great as I'm a bit stumped and quite annoyed with the whole situation.

Come back Orange - all is forgiven!

What do you do? Ignore the DCA and dont talk to them on the phone again.

Then contact the ORiginal Creditor and set up a repayment that way. Remind them of their legal obligations. If they try to say they cant do anything and speak to the DCA, remind them that this will NOT be happening as a DCA has no legal rights at all, and you WILL be repaying the creditor without dealing with the DCA.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi renegadeimp (LOVE the user name btw, brilliant!)

I've tried contacting Orange before when I first realized that they had passed on my information to NCO (I'd heard such awful things about NCO that I didn't want to deal with them at all) and Orange have flatly refused to let me pay them directly.

I really feel like a bit of a pillock for agreeing to pay NCO the installments to be honest; but I didn't know what else to do - I feel like I've been well and truly backed into a corner now.

:-(

They cant refuse. A Creditor is not allowed to refuse ANY valid method of payment. Period.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

They cant refuse. A Creditor is not allowed to refuse ANY valid method of payment. Period.

Can I have that in writing? On a very large bat? To hit Orange with?

:lol: Seriously though, what is the procedure if Orange keep refusing?

Hi ripper just a quick one never set up a DD to a DCA as the things I have read on here about that they can do is shocking. Just set up a standing order as then you have control of your money.

I really wish I'd known that before, lol

However I won't be reinstating the direct debit now. If they can cancel the DD (which they told me they did)without my being aware of it, can they reinstate it without my knowing?

I have a feeling they can. My wife used to work in a bank and I am sure she has told me they can. I would ask her but she's gone to bed knackered from running about after our toddler. So sorry about that ripper.

The best way to ensure they can't steal your money out of your account is to contact your bank and ensure that this DD is cancelled immediately, also inform them that under no circumstances are they to allow any money out of your account to these con men.

Again, never ever speak to DCA's on the phone, they only ever tell you lies, try to intimidate you, and feed you all sorts of ridiculous nonsense only they believe, the fact that they are unqualified uneducated commission based children, is the sole reason why no-one ever believes them anymore.

If Orange don't want you to repay them the money they say you owe, then you don't owe them anything!

Make a formal complaint to Orange and exhaust it.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

The best way to ensure they can't steal your money out of your account is to contact your bank and ensure that this DD is cancelled immediately, also inform them that under no circumstances are they to allow any money out of your account to these con men.

If Orange don't want you to repay them the money they say you owe, then you don't owe them anything!

Make a formal complaint to Orange and exhaust it.

I've checked my bank online and it's definitely showing as cancelled.

I will call them on Monday to make sure they don't allow any further payments to go to NCO.

Take a look at post 8

Thank you!:-D

What was this debt for??

And how much roughly?

Jogs

The debt was to Orange (mobile phone) and with the money I've already paid it's just over £2000.

I have a feeling they can. My wife used to work in a bank and I am sure she has told me they can. I would ask her but she's gone to bed knackered from running about after our toddler. So sorry about that ripper.

Oh bless her! I hope she managed to get some sleep :-)

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it - I'll double check this with my bank when I talk to them.

Edited by Ripper_BD

Look, inform the bank that no money should go out of your account to these clowns, if it does you can reclaim it back.

You need to get onto Orange and lodge a formal complaint, enter into their complaints procedure and exhaust it, it really is not good enough for any corporation to fob anyone off by giving us the party line that "It's been passed to XYZ, you need to contact them" Er NO!, If you clowns want the money you say I owe, then you grow up and take responsibility for it, otherwise you can stand all day urinating into the wind for all I care.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

you can stand all day urinating into the wind for all I care.

:lol:LOVE IT!!!:lol:

I have a list of people to call on Monday morning - my bank is top of the list, closely followed by Orange.

If Orange do still refuse, do I send a complaint to them about it; or would that go somewhere a little higher than the dancing monkeys - sorry, customer service agents?

I moved house and ended up with zero reception on Orange - I had to actually stand a few paces from the front door to get one bar.

I called them and asked what I could do to boost the reception and got no help at all so I decided to terminate early.

I had two phones on my account; one for me and one for my husband; so early termination fees and buying out both lines added up pretty quickly.

I would write to Orange reminding them of this Public statement they made to BBC Watchdog and asking them just exactly how their total unwillingness to resolve the problem of zero coverage in your new home followed by their aggravated pursual for £2000+ in charges for a service they were not able to provide was in your best interests.

"In terms of Mr Prescott's contract, while we do not offer an option for customers to break their contract for moving house, in exceptional cases where a customer clearly has no network coverage at a new home of residence and has been unable to make calls, we will look to resolve in their best interest".

Source http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/03/mobile_charges_but_no_signal.html

As of 03/03/12 please do not under any circumstances wait for my further input or guidance on any current thread or defence of a court claim I might have been involved in on or through Cag.

Jasper1965

Jasper that is a fantastic bit of information - thank you!!

Not long to go until I start kicking some stupid peoples backsides...I will update this once I've contacted the bank and Orange...wish me luck, lol

**UPDATE**

I spoke to Orange just now and the first person I talked with kept insisting that they couldn't take any payment from me if my details had been passed to NCO.

I persisted (and "gently" reminded them that they aren't allowed to refuse a valid offer of payment) and after about 15 minutes, I was passed to a different department and as of the start of June I will be paying Orange.

I also spoke to my bank who assured me that if Orange have taken responsibility for the payments again, that NCO could not take money from my account.

The Direct Debit is cancelled, which has been double and triple checked with the bank, so hopefully I will never hear from NCO ever again.

Watch this space though - knowing NCO they'll find a reason to annoy me... :lol:

Thanks for the help, guys, I really appreciate it.

I would've been totally clueless and stressed out without this forum!

Good for you this is a positive start.

Now you must get onto Orange, remind them of the pledge they made when under investigation by Watchdog, spell out to them that there was zero reception in your new home and that you tried to resolve this with them but were reduced to cancelling the contracts as Orange simply were not interested in helping you.

Exactly what pay monthly contract were these two phones taken out on?

This makes for interesting reading:

"terminating your Contract because Orange is no longer able to provide access to the Network

4.4 If, for reasons beyond our control, we are no longer able to provide the Services, we will at our discretion either:

4.4.1 make arrangements for you to be supplied with equivalent Services by another network at no extra cost to you, or

4.4.2 accept written notice from you that you wish to terminate your Contract. In such cases we will refund any pre-paid Charges that have not been used up."

http://www1.orange.co.uk/terms.html/pdfs/PAYM-terms-and-conditions-for-the-supply-of-Orange-Network-Services-20110215.pdf

• Haha 1

As of 03/03/12 please do not under any circumstances wait for my further input or guidance on any current thread or defence of a court claim I might have been involved in on or through Cag.

Jasper1965

ps 19.11 from the above t&c's looks like it could be useful to your predicament:

19.11 If either party delays or does not take action to enforce their rights under this Contract this does not prevent either party from taking action later.

Jasper1965

Sorry no edit button any more....

Was going to continue to say that to me this term implies that you are still within your contractual rights to serve them the notice of cancellation as per 4.4.2.

You have after all given them enough time to remedy the lack of service by the alternative method as per 4.4.1 :wink:

Jasper1965

Wonder where the edit button went... :/