• Tweets

• Does anyone know if I would be allowed to record conversations with health professionals for my own use on my phone without them knowing. I know that we are allowed to record phone calls. I do record some of my phone calls for my own use due to my disability and if anything is said then I am covered. I would only record audio in private area's of myself and the professional dealing with me. I know I could not get and other persons audio in it and I don't intend to. my only other option is to buy a body cam but I am not sure the rules regarding this.I never thought i would have to but things are getting worse Thanks for any guidance 
    • Thanks for that. I will give them till Tuesday. Thanks for your help, very much appreciated. 
    • Ok thanks for that, well spotted and all duly noted. Yes they did eventually submit those docs to me after a second letter advising them I was contacting the ICO to make a formal complaint for failing to comply with an earlier SAR that they brushed off as an "administrative error" or something. When I sent the letter telling them I was in contact with the information commissioner to lodge the complaint, the original PCN etc quickly followed along with their excuse!
    • its not about the migrants .. Barrister Helena Kennedy warns that the Conservatives will use their victory over Rwanda to dismantle the law that protects our human rights here in the UK.   Angela Rayner made fun of Rishi Sunak’s height in a fiery exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, which prompted Joe Murphy to ask: just how low will Labour go? .. well .. not as low as sunak 
    • From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cobbetts Cpr part 18 request/CPR part 16.4.1

MARTIN3030
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6101 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I will add my name to the list. I have already sent a complaint to the Judge and will complain ti the law society

StevePM

If you find this useful please tip my scales

First win £5k+ another five on the go all with NatWest

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I sent my CPR18 response, Allocation Questionnaire and Draft order to My county court on the 1st of March. I phoned them about a week after posting it because I recieved a second AQ and they confirmed not to send the second one in as it is a duplicate and they have recieved the first one.

I have not had any communication since though, and it is now the 22nd. The draft order was the one that can be found on this site giving Natwest 14 days after they are served with the order I presume they would have been served the order roughly a week a after i posted it to the court so I presume their 14 days is up? Do i need to send anything to the court. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Hi, I have just received this morning a defence from Cobbetts in pursuant of CPR Part 18 saying that the particulars of claim do not disclose reasonable grounds etc.

What should I do now, I feel very nervous, have I worded my claim wrong? The 28 days was up on Friday and I thought I was going to get a judgement, but this will now protract this further.

Advice please someone

Hi, I have just received this morning a defence from Cobbetts in pursuant of CPR Part 18 saying that the particulars of claim do not disclose reasonable grounds etc.

What should I do now, I feel very nervous, have I worded my claim wrong? The 28 days was up on Friday and I thought I was going to get a judgement, but this will now protract this further.

Advice please someone

Do you have a thread of your own? We cannot possibly advise you whether your POC is wrong, without seeing it...

dolly,

do you have a copy of your N1 form you filed at court (or mcol), and what are the solicitors dealing (ie cobbetts) ?

this is fairly standard fodder in relation to the Cag PoC (which personally speaking i do not think brings enough detail to the fore in it, but thats just me)

i shouldnt worry about it too much, as like i said its a standard request from the defence, for them to have a better idea of what your claim is about in legal terms.

So they are simply asking you to better particularise the details in the claim, in a legally recognisable way.

post your claim form if you can, and we'll see what we can do ok :)

and dont worry this is no biggy

Johnny

Dont Rush - Take Your Time - Dont always take me seriously

:p

If you feel i have helped you then click

Here, if you feel i have not helped you then click Here, if you want to complain about this go Here, if you would like bank secrets then go Here.

MBNA - Case Charges+PPI+CI+LA+Damages+costs

RBS Credit Card - Case Charges+CI+LA+Costs

Barclays - Case Charges+CI+LA+Damages+costs

Halifax - Case Charges+CI+Damages+costs

Online Finance - Case Charge+CI+Damages+costs

HI do have a copy of the NI form, which I assume is the Notice of Issue, also when I filed the particulars of claim, I copied it from the template supplied here and just put in the bits relevant to me. so I am assuming it is ok., the only thing I think I didn't do was calculate the daily interest rate. Is that going to matter, also at that stage I do not think I submitted the spreadsheet showing the charges with the MCOL claim.

So am I right in now thinking I just respond to Cobbetts with the standard CPR 18 reply and copy a letter to the court?

HI do have a copy of the NI form, which I assume is the Notice of Issue, also when I filed the particulars of claim, I copied it from the template supplied here and just put in the bits relevant to me. so I am assuming it is ok., the only thing I think I didn't do was calculate the daily interest rate. Is that going to matter, also at that stage I do not think I submitted the spreadsheet showing the charges with the MCOL claim.

So am I right in now thinking I just respond to Cobbetts with the standard CPR 18 reply and copy a letter to the court?

dolly hi again,

you certainly want to supply the defence with a copy of your spreadsheet, checking the charges are correct and up to date. Double check your N1 to see if it seems somewhat ambiguous ie can the defence actually work out what your saying and why in a legal sense ?

Double check everything again and get all your papers in order, and if your happy that the N1 you filed makes a good legally recognisable claim, then just tell them that you dont need to further plead any more at this stage.

but you must atleast submit anything you wish to rely on..ie a spreadsheet of charges is a big one :)

Johnny

Here, if you feel i have not helped you then click Here, if you want to complain about this go Here, if you would like bank secrets then go Here.

Hi there

I too have received my defence from cobblers also with part 18 request for further info and clarification. I've checked the white book but can't find the part where it states part 18 is not relevant to small claims track - it is not listed in part 27 "extent to which other parts apply" as not being relevant. Could you point me in the right direction please?

They are cheeky - 'specially asking for info from the contract written by THEIR Client!!

Many thanks

LLou

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you know, i decided to put a request in writing for the charges back from when i first started the claim to now and guess what, THEY PAID UP!!!

I told them i had nothing to lose and would not cancel the court hearing until i got full charges refunded back to me, i was due to go to court on the 10th and i got an email on the 5th and a cheque this morning.

Just thought i would let you all know, and i huge thank you to all of you that have helped me claim against my bank THANKSSSSSSSSSS

GOOD LUCK

Hi all,

in need of yet another question answered, i got my check in the post and i have not yet cancelled the court, i have placed the check in the bank, i have not yet signed and returned the slip that cobbets have asked me too.

what i want to know is...........

Can i write back to cobbets and demand my charges back from october when i put the claim in, until the date on the letter/check (nearly 900quid)

can i say to them i will not sign the form and i am still going to go to court until all charges have been paid up to date???

or can i not do this???

please help

Claiming £2821.40

Preliminary letter sent - 18th October 2006

rejectedmy letter 23rd October 2006

LBA sent - 1st November 2006

MCOL - 15th December 2006

Court Date 10th April 2007

PAID OUT £3047.11 end of Feb 2007

I wrote back to them refusing to sign anything, and telling them i would still go to court on the 10th unless charges from Oct to Date were paid.

PAID ME REST OF CHARGES TODAY 7TH

:D

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you know, i decided to put a request in writing for the charges back from when i first started the claim to now and guess what, THEY PAID UP!!!

I told them i had nothing to lose and would not cancel the court hearing until i got full charges refunded back to me, i was due to go to court on the 10th and i got an email on the 5th and a cheque this morning.

Just thought i would let you all know, and i huge thank you to all of you that have helped me claim against my bank THANKSSSSSSSSSS

GOOD LUCK

well done, i too got a cheque for £12.375 from Cobbetts.

Hi, I received my Defence & CPR part 18 request today from Cobbetts. I can send the standard letter from the forum plus a copy to the COurt, but I'd like to check some points if anyone can help me?

1) They state that I haven't sent the defendant a copy of the list of charges as part of the Claim, when I did. I also sent a list to the Court as recommended in the forums. I kept the Recorded Delivery receipts as proof. I also have a letter from Stuart Higley of NatWest acknowledging receipt of my letter with the breakdown of charges - if it wasn't enclosed (which it obviously was) then he should have stated then.

2) They then go on to say that I am "put to strict proof of each charge" and need to identify for each charge, the date, amount and description. This worries me slightly, as I prepared my list from Martin Lewis's calculator, and although it lists each charge, the date debited, amount of interest and total there is no description against any of the charge entries. Do I need to re-do the spreadsheet and send it back with descriptions?

3) Coincidentally, I received an offer in the post too this morning, for nearly all the amount of the charges I'm claiming for (£4,446) but no interest (£1,458.50). I don't want to accept, as I think I should press for the whole amount. I had to pay £250 to file the calim which I think they should pay too. Should I just write back "Without Prejudice" declining the offer?

Thanks so much for your help!

4/1/07 Requested statements

21/1/07 Received statements

23/1/07 Sent 1st letter

26/1/07 Acknowledgement from Stuart Higley

14/2/07 2nd letter sent / LBA giving 7 days also faxed

27/2/07 Letter from S Higley saying they are investigating

6/3/07 Processed claim on MCOL

7/3/07 Claim issued

12/3/07 (deemed) date of Service

16/3/07 Acknowledgement of Service Filed by Cobbetts

7/4/07 Received defence and CPR part 18 request

7/4/07 Received part offer from Mr Higley! (refused!!)

12/4/07 Sent letter to Court with copy to Cobbetts re CPR Part 18 etc

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/75424-roscopicotrain-natwest.html#post657171

Hiya see my replies inline below.

Hi, I received my Defence & CPR part 18 request today from Cobbetts. I can send the standard letter from the forum plus a copy to the COurt, but I'd like to check some points if anyone can help me?

1) They state that I haven't sent the defendant a copy of the list of charges as part of the Claim, when I did. I also sent a list to the Court as recommended in the forums. I kept the Recorded Delivery receipts as proof. I also have a letter from Stuart Higley of NatWest acknowledging receipt of my letter with the breakdown of charges - if it wasn't enclosed (which it obviously was) then he should have stated then.

This is yet more proof that this is a bullying tactic and/or a copy'n'paste from other claims. Ignore it as you can prove in court that it was received - and the Court have a copy.

2) They then go on to say that I am "put to strict proof of each charge" and need to identify for each charge, the date, amount and description. This worries me slightly, as I prepared my list from Martin Lewis's calculator, and although it lists each charge, the date debited, amount of interest and total there is no description against any of the charge entries. Do I need to re-do the spreadsheet and send it back with descriptions?

No - in court just show the Bank Statements which show the charges - these are proof as they come from the Bank.

3) Coincidentally, I received an offer in the post too this morning, for nearly all the amount of the charges I'm claiming for (£4,446) but no interest (£1,458.50). I don't want to accept, as I think I should press for the whole amount. I had to pay £250 to file the calim which I think they should pay too. Should I just write back "Without Prejudice" declining the offer?

In my opinion you should respond accepting their kind offer as partial settlement but make your intent to pursue the remainder clear. Turning down an offer would be seen as obstructive to the Court and may prejudice your entire claim.

Thanks so much for your help!

You're welcome :)

a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a.a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a. a.

Hi Tom, Thanks for your reply. I presume I just send the template letter to Cobbetts and a copy to the Court?

Should I accept their offer "Without Prejudice" to my claim?

Thanks again!

23/1/07 Sent 1st letter

7/3/07 Claim issued

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/75424-roscopicotrain-natwest.html#post657171

Hi Tom, Thanks for your reply. I presume I just send the template letter to Cobbetts and a copy to the Court?

Should I accept their offer "Without Prejudice" to my claim?

Thanks again!

Yes send it to Cobbetts - the court don't need to know.

"Without Prejudice" means that you won't be able to refer to it in Court - so no - don't. You might want to show the Judge that you have been very reasonable by accepting their partial offer.

OK thanks again Tom!

23/1/07 Sent 1st letter

7/3/07 Claim issued

Tom - just a thought - if I do accept their offer as you suggest, do I need to notify the Court and Cobbetts, or do I just continue on with the full claim?

Cheers.

23/1/07 Sent 1st letter

7/3/07 Claim issued

Tom - just a thought - if I do accept their offer as you suggest, do I need to notify the Court and Cobbetts, or do I just continue on with the full claim?

Cheers.

Just notify Cobbetts that you're accepting it as a PARTIAL offer. The Court don't need to know. When the claim is settled IN FULL, then you can notify the court, and when the money is cleared funds in your account you can discontinue.

roscopicotrain,

sorry stone but in this case (knowing cobbetts) i think that acepting the offer at this stage would be a bad move. If you do accept the offer then effectivley the defence have paid you the "fees" back in total, so when you get to court (which if you accept you certainly will go to court) the defence will immediatly tell the judge they have paid the charges back in full and the claimant is trying to claim an extortionate amount of interest, (if its contractual interest of course)

The judge will then press you on this point and expect some ground breaking argument over the CI issue, if on the other hand the interest you mention in s69 8% interest, then it would seem very strange of the defence to do this, as this would still leave them in the position of proving the costs in court, or atleast admitting to the judge that they had paid you the charges back.

Personally i would decline the offer and hold out for a few more days and you will get full settlement unconditionally very shortly, remember that to date not one single bank has actually defended a case in court and i dont think you would be any different.

On the point of the court seeing it as a bad move if you decline the offer, then i also dont agree with that either. All the small claims books tell you that doing that is totally fine, as clearly there is only one satisfactory outcome for you (and thats full payment). Further to that the offer that was made to you would almost certainly be a "without prejudice letter" meaning it cannot be referred to until after the hearing.

if you accept the offer and your claiming CI, then you will almost certainly end up in court to argue the issue of the CI (the only part of the claim left)

If its s69 your claiming then its a very strange move by the defence as they know full well, they will have to pay that plus the court fees, but even still i would hold out and dont lose your bottle, as they will pay in full very shortly :)

best of luck

sorry to go against what you said stone :)

Hey no need to apologise to me LOL. This is all about opinion until it sits in front of a Judge; however the arguments RE: CI have been well thought out and I don't see that it would be an issue to argue it. Also, the bank would probably bring their letter to the Court's attention ANYWAY 'cos they're b'stards like that.

Can you cite any source for your comments regarding it being OK to turn down an offer? All the Great Teachings from the Holy CAG Spirits so far have been to accept partial offers in the past.

Also, in this case, I don't see any functional difference between accepting as partial (but pursuing the rest) and turning it down... in EITHER case the Defendant will have to consider the option of going to court and fighting the remainder of the claim because it refers to CI.

As I said though, it's down to opinion and the balls of the claimant; there are several schools of thought on this and I'm happy with my stance and its defendability - I can also see your argument and it has a certain defendability of its own... I just don't agree :)

stone :)

i have to take up issue with this still further :rolleyes:

ok i hear what you say about accepting as partial in cirtain circumstances, but in my opinion in the case of CI, thats certainly one that you dont accept the "charges" back as partial.

Why not, because on a CI claim if you do that, then the defence are almost 99% sure to defend and therefore push the now fragile claimant into the court room, with a bulldog of a barrister, who will duly rip into shreads (in a legal sense of course)

I see no need for this whatsoever, when if the claimant holds out just a few more days then the defence will 100% certainly make an offer in full and unconditionally, therefore causing minimum stress to the claimant and allowing for 100% success and payment.

If you go into court on a CI only claim theres a 50/50 chance of winning, depending on judge, time, place, day ect. But one things for sure its not a sure thing, and the defence are 100% going to show up. Causing another day off work, stress, chance of losing ect ect.

If you accept partial on a CI in my opinion all is lost and the defence then totally have the upper hand, its just like the tricks they play on a current account by slipping the "fees" into the account hours before the hearing, thus leaving claimant to argue the CI issue. And lets face it alot of people are not so confident of their own arguments especially in court.

As authority to my claims of the judge wont see it as being unreasonable if you turn down an offer far less than your claim (or even 1 pence short to be fair) Patricia Pearls excellent book "small claims procedue..a practical guide", "law packs..small claims self help kit", i think its even mentioned in the PD under CPR that if the defendant offers anything less than full amount, then the claimant is perfectly ok to deline this without being thought of as unreasonable, as the only acceptable outcome for the claimant is 100% full payment of claim.

put simply stone if the offer is turned down then roscopicotrain will get full payout days before the hearing 100% sure. If they accept partial on a CI case then they stand a good chance of losing the CI part.

The defence will not risk going into court and trying to argue the CI but not the charges as the first thing the judge will want to see is proof of their costs, they simply will not do this.

now on a s69 8% case then thats totally different and to accept a partial payment is fine because at the end of the day the claimant wont have to argue anything, the judge will award it as default, thus no stress, thus no chance of failure.

Hi all

very interested in Tom's comments regarding obtrusive behaviour if turning down an offer from the bank, we did just that, refused the offer, as I am under the impression a full and final settlement offer which is less than the amount owed is a compromise but is not a just resolution to what the banks are doing - let's face it we are doing this because we believe the banks have capitilised profits through unknowing customers accepting fees and charges on their accounts which are illegal. So does Tom think that we should accept the offers from the Banks/Solicitors representing them? Or it may go against us if it proceeds to court? If so, does this not go against the theme of advice provided throughout this advice group????

Confused in Devon- sg51bmw:confused:

Like I said above I was always told to accept partial offers as partial offers but to continue to pursue the rest; personally I don't see the difference between turning down an offer which doesn't include contractural interest, and accepting it as partial settlement; either way I would expect the bank to settle the claim in its entirety and not go to court.

However progenic disagrees and says that there is a fundamental difference and that in cases where a partial offer excludes contractural interest it is better to refuse the offer - in fact he says that refusing any partial offer is fine because the purpose of your claim was to obtain full settlement and nothing less will suffice for you without a Court ruling. It's entirely up to you which method you pursue as it is you taking any risk that is involved; you just have to do your research and get professional advice if you think you need it.

Thanks for the reply, I agree to a point, "bird in the hand" and then pursuing the remainder from that point, however, when we refused under those terms, i.e " not in full and final settlement and not accepting the caveats attached to no longer pursue further claims" the money was out of our account within 5 minutes of arriving - long story......

However my point is, I think you have to go all out for the "full" amount regardless, as it is an academic/moot point about accepting a partial repayment, the banks will just yank it out of your account if you don't play their game, accept it as final payment and don't pursue them further, or they will pursue the convuleted route of Cobbetts threats/letters and awaiting a court date etc. (In my experience so far) before paying up the full amount (not experienced this point yet however based on numerous CAG members to date)

I see where you are coming from, however charges/interest and the 8% court set rate is surely worth fighting for - even if you do become the test case, as long as you have done your homework, have followed the set process and protocols the ball lands very firmly in the banks "court" to defend the charges and justify the whole system they have employed...

N'est Pas?