Cobbetts Cpr part 18 request/CPR part 16.4.1

MARTIN3030
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6102 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest peed orf

Thanks Steve,

Most of what I need is there.

It would appear that every cpr 18 is different, trying to keep us on our toes!

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When Cobbetts sent their Request for More Information they deliberately sent it out with an impossible deadline. Initially I wasn't bothered as I knew I wasn't obliged to send them anything. However, when I received a copy of their A.Q. and saw what they had submitted in Part G (Other Information) I thought "What a flippin' liberty!" (or words to that effect) and I wrote this to my local County Court. I also sent a copy to Cobbetts.

XXXXXXXXXX -v- National Westminster Bank plc

Claim No: XXXXXX

18th January 2007

Dear Sir/Madam

Claimant’s response to Defendants ‘Deadline’

I received a copy of the Defendant’s Allocation Questionnaire which, in Part G (other information), states:

“Case management directions cannot be proposed until the Claimant serves a Reply to the Request for Further Information which was due 5 January 2007. The Defendant has however given the Claimant until 16 January 2007 to serve her Reply. In light of this, the Defendant may amend its Defence or apply to strike out.”

The fact of the matter is I did not receive the Defendants request for Further Information until 10 January 2007. Indeed, the Cobbetts covering letter (copy attached) to this request is actually dated 8 January 2007, which means that this request did not leave Cobbetts office until 3 days after my 5 January 2007 ‘deadline’.

It was clearly obvious that I would not receive their request for Further Information until the 9th January 2007, at the very earliest. Therefore, I believe I was being set up to fail, given a deadline that was impossible to meet without the use of a time machine!

This is, in my opinion, just another example of Cobbetts attempt to abuse the process of this case.

Yours Faithfully

So say that to the Judge;

I believe that the Defendant's Counsel has employed tactics to intimidate and bully the Claimant and that they have abused due process in order to conduct their defence. . I formally apply for their defence to be struck out on the grounds that it does not meet the specifications required by CPR pt 16.5 in that .

I've already sent the letter in my previous post. Do you suggest I still send this? As for examples, we know Cobbetts claim that didn't recieve POC when they did but will the Judge see that as an example of the 'dirty trick' it is or will he give them the benefit of the doubt?

When Cobbetts sent their Request for More Information they deliberately sent it out with an impossible deadline. Initially I wasn't bothered as I knew I wasn't obliged to send them anything. However, when I received a copy of their A.Q. and saw what they had submitted in Part G (Other Information) I thought "What a flippin' liberty!" (or words to that effect) and I wrote this to my local County Court. I also sent a copy to Cobbetts.

Seems to me that your initial statement about not being obliged to send them anayhting and the experiences of Peed orf suggest this isnt the case.

IMHO you have to respond to a CPR 18 request if its issued prior to allocation.

The court in the case of peed orf obviousely think so, and since Cobbets have put it in their allocation questionnaire its likley the court will think so in that case too.

Whilst we might all agree that cobbets are using this tactic to intimdate the claimants, that doesnt stop the CPR18 request benig a legitimate request.

If they follow it up with a request in court they are likley to get an order for you to comply.

why not serve them CPr18 requests after the claim is issued and get yours in first.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hi, Glenn

I think there's another factor - the way the claim has been filed. If it's MCOL. then the PoCs are really inadequate and I expect the Court will order Part 18 in pretty much every case. If it's been filed through N1 at the local court, with full PoCs, then I don't see that Coobetts'll get very far.

JMHO

Westy

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

Westy

you could be right, but i know it was discussed earlier in this long thread and there were arguments put that since most claims will be in the SCC, that claimants don't have to respond.

However, i don't think it matters if either side complete one prior to allocation then as far as i can tell from the CPR its a legitimate request and the recipient should respond.

Whether the POC is very well particularised may make the courts take a different view but personally i don't think its worth the risk of non-compliance.

All i know is that if they, the defence that is, have asked and if we don't respond, it gives them ammunition to ask for the claim to be struck out or for an order to be made by the courts.

I do agree however that MCOL is not the best choice for anything but the most simple of claims, anything with old charges, default removal or contractual interest should IMHO be on an N1 and detailed as best we can.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hi, Glenn

No suggestion they shouldn't respond but CPR Part 18 requests can be pretty intimidating, so the best response is probably the very first one on this thread.

Personally, my feeling is that, unless it's for less than £1000 and less than 6 years, N1 at the local court is probably better.

W

Westy

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Hi gys,

I haven't received any request for a CPR part 18 - but I have received this rather curious Defence filed by Cobblers on 1st Feb 07 ---

see my thread - here (I'm not sure how to link to threads but it's headed as --

wehavetheright VS Natwest Defence filed

Any comments greatly appreciated!!

Westy

You're right - that's weird: it worked when I pasted it yesterday.

When I copy the whole thing and paste it into my browser, it's now saying there is no such document

Hmmmmmm

W

Westy

Ah! That's better!

W

Westy

Hi - i've posted a REALLY lengthy message elsewhere (must try to find that and work out how the hell to delete it!) before discovering this link... i'm not sure if what cobbetts requested was a cpr18 (and don't have the paperwork handy) but they did request more info. if i'd discovered your site earlier, i'd have used your rude reply! but i sent all the info off again. i've now received a copy of their amended defence from Clerkenwell & Shoreditch Court... it looks very much like the contents of Hopkino's earlier message (but just different enough to keep me guessing...). where do i go now? is now my chance to stick two fingers up at the lovely Lynsey at Scrobblers via a choicely worded missive?????? thanks guys (ps my claim is for about 2200 quid)

Hi everyone,

i am back again for more help!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

i have recieved a letter from cobbetts

it says,

Dear sir

we refer to the above and enclosed a copy of our clents allocation questionaire which has today been filled at the court.

yours faithfully

what does this mean?

Claiming £2821.40

Preliminary letter sent - 18th October 2006

rejectedmy letter 23rd October 2006

LBA sent - 1st November 2006

MCOL - 15th December 2006

Court Date 10th April 2007

PAID OUT £3047.11 end of Feb 2007

I wrote back to them refusing to sign anything, and telling them i would still go to court on the 10th unless charges from Oct to Date were paid.

PAID ME REST OF CHARGES TODAY 7TH

:D

hi- i think this thread might be dead. at least, no one replied to me on it! however,i started my own thread and people responded...

wish i could help you but i think i might be just as bewildered as you! what a mare! fantastic site though - you'd never know that hundreds of other people are going through exactly the same thing as you without it, would you?

good luck with your claim.

Hi everyone,

i am back again for more help!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

i have recieved a letter from cobbetts

it says,

Dear sir

we refer to the above and enclosed a copy of our clents allocation questionaire which has today been filled at the court.

yours faithfully

what does this mean?

I suppose one might say its like a tin of ronseal varnish, only in this case it doesnt do what it say on the tin, but it is what it says on the tin i.e. a copy of their allocation questionnaire which they filed, today, at the court.

Its protocol to send one to the other side.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there!

My first post here and just need some advice just to make sure I have done everything as I should...!

I have received a copy of the defence and a covering letter from Cobbetts. They have just asked that I acknowledge receipt of defence papers of which I have done.

This is the defence:

1. The defence is filed and served without prejudice to the right of the defendant to apply for summary judgment in respect of and/or to strike out the particulars of claim.

2. Without prejudice to the non-admission set out in the foregoing paragraph, is and to the extent that the claimant proves the allegation that the defendant debited charges to the claimants account, insofar as such charges were debited on a date or dates more than six years prior ti the issue of this claim, any remedy in respect of the same, whether damages, restitution or otherwise, is barred by the operation of the Limitation Act 1980 and/or the doctrine of laches and the defendant will apply to strike out this aspect of the claim and/or for summary of judgement.

3. The defendant is embarrassed by the lack of particularity pleaded in the particulars of claim to the extent that the particulars of claim fail to disclose reasonable grounds for bringing a claim against the defendant. In particular:

3.1 The particulars of claim are incoherant and do not disclose any legally recognisable claim against the defendant.

4. The defendant invites the claimant to remedy the above. In the event that the claimant fails to do so within 14 days of the service of defence then the defendant will apply to the court for an order striking out the particulars of claim.

5. The defendant reserves the right to plead further to the particulars of claim omce if the claimant properly particularises the same. In the meantime, it is denied that the claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief whether as pleaded or at all.

I just want to compare this to your defences and ensure that there is nothing I need to reply to?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Thanks for quick response, I got a little help on MSE website...I have been to the court today to fill in a N244 form and attach a new particulars of request along with my bank charges spreadsheet.

My original particulars of claim was not along the lines of what it should have been!

Fingers crossed the judge approves the changes and I can send of a copy to Cobbetts.