Video: Making an appeal to the Social Security and Child Support tribunal - Tribunal & Courts Service

speedfreek
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L8EPHDjeqU

Uploaded by MinistryofJusticeUK on 13 Mar 2012

Provides information on making an appeal to the Social Security and Child Support tribunal; explaining how the tribunal process works and what to expect at a hearing.

For all you scared of/wondering what actually happens at them..... watch and learn.

• Haha 1

Thank you.

Now an article on the CAGMag

Excellent find - well done.

It's very good for people to actually see what a tribunal room looks like, and how the process is done. There are a lot of people who are put off at an early stage because they think it's going to be too much like a court hearing.

I like how they demonstrate the importance of telling the tribunal things that you may not feel comfortable discussing or think doesn't matter. It's often these things which can make or break an appeal.

Slightly concerning though that they seem to think decisions on eligibility for ESA are made by jobcentres - maybe this accounts for the vast amount of appeal results that seem to be delayed in getting to a benefit centre.

Also concerning is that it makes it seem that a person can easily get a letter from their doctor, They don't point out that doctor is not obliged to do so or that the doctor may charge for it.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the DWP took all such vids down, fearing claimants would actually be helped by the things and thus the amount of people applying for tribunals would increase even further. *rolls eyes*.

God this governments corrupt.

DWP did not take the videos down; they don't have the authority to do that.

It was at the insistence of Senior Officials at the Ministry of Justice. They are not disclosing why.

I suspect it was probably pulled as a result of complaints submitted about the video not being a true portrayal. There was much huffing and puffing around the net about the video making out that a tribunal only lasts a few minutes and about the less comfortable questions claimants can be asked not being shown, in addition to whines of it not taking account of some conditions! Someone even moaned that it showed the panel had more interest in what the neighbour had to say - but the neighbour was actually helping the guy's case, acting as his rep!

People didn't seem to understand that it wasn't meant to be showing a begining to end tribunal hearing, nor was it meant as a 'one size fits all' video - it was merely there to give an indication of what to expect.

Admitedly I was concerned about some inaccuracies as I posted above but the benefits of the video far outweighed the (very minor) faults. I suppose some people just like to spoil it for others.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

• 1 month later...

Sorry am I being dumb.I`m logged in and when I try to access the video I just get the message "PRIVATE". Any ideas anyone ? I have to face a tribunal soon and am very anxious.This would be a great help.Thanks to all of you out there.:???:

I can`t believe the video has been taken down. Is there anyone who still has a copy ? This is so maddening. A day after receiving the tribunal letter I was sent to the cancer centre with a suspected tumour in my spine. I had just been for an "examination" by the DWP (assessment I think they call it) and told fit to work. does anyone else feel overwhelmed by the DWP and feel they are targeting the wrong people. I am no scrounger. God, I would LOVE to work.

video definitely down...just tried it but got blank screen and private....rAtos also found me fit for work...well in 3 months..and if i get a wheelchair....but hey...if i could work..and find a job that would allow me the latitude to attend hospital, work with wheelchair etc etc then i bloody well would...

• 4 weeks later...

After being pulled it's back o/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L8EPHDjeqU

How long it will stay there we can only hope.

There are various ways to * ninja * a personal copy (I just have)!

The alleged reason for it being pulled are as follows

Independent benefits expert Neil Bateman (external link), discovered that the video was taken down after employment minister Chris Grayling emailed the ministry complaining about, amongst other things, the fact that it told claimants:

that they are twice as likely to win their appeal if they appear in person rather than having a paper hearing;

that the DWP doesn’t normally send a representative to the hearing;

to send additional evidence to the tribunal, when Grayling wants it sent to the DWP.

Guest amianne

Well I have just watched the video and from my own experience of having had two of them, it has glossed over more or less everything that actually goes on.

The person that went with me was never asked for their input, it was the Judge that asked most of the questions in a disbelieving way. I was sent out twice during one hearing, the first time when I handed some documents over and when I stated that I was using drugs that had been prescribed to another person. In that instance he basically went on for about 5 mins telling me that after I went back in that I was committing a criminal offence and that he was making a note of the offence to pass on to the authorities.

Both hearing left me thinking that they had not asked enough questions for them to understand what was going on. They seemed to have made their mind up half way through both of them.

In the first hearing there were 3 there, a doctor, the judge and someone from some disability organisation. They fired questions about off topic things in a way that I did not have time to answer most of them.

They were both a harrowing experience and to be honest I would think twice about going again.

• 1 year later...

Independent benefits expert Neil Bateman (external link), discovered that the video was taken down after employment minister Chris Grayling emailed the ministry complaining about, amongst other things, the fact that it told claimants:

that they are twice as likely to win their appeal if they appear in person rather than having a paper hearing;

Nothing wrong there as it happens to be true.

that the DWP doesn’t normally send a representative to the hearing;

Correct.

to send additional evidence to the tribunal, when Grayling wants it sent to the DWP.

Yes, so the DWP can promptly ignore it.

Old news as Grayling went ages ago, but it serves to illustrate how the government will attempt to obfuscate any information that helps a claimant.

Tory's. The party that think honour and decency are reactionary and subversive.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.