• Tweets

• Hi T911 and welcome to CAG. As you say, an interesting screw up. So much for quality control! Anyway, our regular advice is to ignore all of their increasingly threatening missives... UNLESS you get a letter of claim, then come back here and we'll help you write a "snotty letter" to help them decide whether to take it any further with their stoopid pics. If you get mail you're unsure of, just upload it for the team to have a look.
    • Thanks @lolerzthat's an extremely helpful post. There is no mention of a permit scheme in the lease and likewise, no variation was made to bring this system in. I recall seeing something like a quiet enjoyment clause, but will need to re-read it and confirm. VERY interesting point on the 1987 Act. There hasn't been an AGM in years and I've tried to get one to start to no avail. However, I'll aim to find out more about how the PPC was brought in and revert. Can I test with you and others on the logic of not parking for a few months? I'm ready to fight OPS, so if they go nuclear on me then surely it doesn't matter? I assume that I will keep getting PCNs as long as I live here, so it doesn't make sense for me to change the way that I park?  Unless... You are suggesting that having 5 or so outstanding PCNs, will negatively affect any court case e.g. through bad optics? Or are we trying to force their hand to go to court with only 2 outstanding PCNs?
    • That is so very tempting.   They are doing my annual review as we speak and I'm waiting for their response once I have it I will consider my next steps.    The debt camel website mentioned above is amzing and helping to. Education me alot    
    • Sending you a big hug. I’m sorry your going through this. The letters they send sound aweful, and the waiting game for them to stop. But these guys seem so knowledgable and these letters should stop. Hang in there, and keep in touch. Don’t feel alone 
    • In my time I've never seen a payout/commission from a PPC to a landlord/MA. Normally the installation of all the cameras/payment of warden patrols etc is free but PPCs keep 100% of the ticket revenue. Not saying it doesn't happen mind. I've done some more digging on this: Remember, what your lease doesn't say is just as important as what it does say. If your lease doesn't mention a parking scheme/employment of a PPC/Paying PCNs etc you're under no legal obligation to play along to the PPC's or the MA's "Terms and conditions". I highly doubt your lease had a variation in place to bring in this permit system. Your lease will likely have a "quiet enjoyment" clause for your demised space and the common areas and having to fight a PPC/MA just to park would breach that. Your lease has supremacy of contract, but I do agree it's worth keeping cool and not parking there (and hence getting PCNs) for a couple months just so that the PPC doesn't get blinded by greed and go nuclear on you if you have 4 or 5 PCNs outstanding. At your next AGM, bring it up that the parking controls need to be removed and mention the legal reasons why. One reason is that under S37(5b) Landlord and Tenant Act 1987,  more than 75% of leaseholders and/or the landlord would have needed to agree, and less than 10% opposed, for the variation to take place. I highly doubt a ballot even happened before the PPC was bought in so OPS even being there is unlawful, breaching the terms of your lease. In this legal sense,  the communal vote of the "directors" of the freehold company would have counted for ONE vote of however many flats there are (leases/tenants) + 1 (landlord). It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4938 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What bank / CC provider / loan co. ?????

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pford

You are quite correct - they are wrong.

Write back and ask them where exactly in the 2006 Act does it specifically relate to agreements prior to its implementation date. Then tell them that they have run out of time and have committed an offence and are in default under the Act. spell it out what they cannot do.

Z

Thanks for the reply any suggestions on the content of the letter

Hi Guys!

Thought that you might enjoy seeing the two bright white shiny new pieces of paper that were sent to me by MS on 17 February 2007.

Please note the differing dates on the front, MA100040N9999 05/06 and at the bottom MS Bnk Cut 12/04

credit limit zero and on the reverse penalty charges are quoted at £12 as opposed to £20!

MSMailer006.jpg

and the reverse:-

MSMailer003.jpg

MS do not have an agreement...so it appears that they knocked this up

Incidentally, I do not have a MS cc Therefore obviously nothing, no card was attached.

AC

Guest Battleaxe

Opps MS are playing the silly games Crap One played with us, gave us one with the £12.00 charges on it. hahahahaha

Firstly, paulwlton...excellent news!! and good for you.

Secondly, yes Battleaxe...I thought that you would enjoy my photobucket pics.

MS are reliant upon 1983 Regs..regulation 3.

TS do not agree, due to regulation 7.

TS have insisted that MS write to me to explain their view!?

Nothing has arrived yet. However I will post the waffle if and when it arrives.

I am aware of what they said to davefirewalker...I guess that I will probably receive the same kind of explanation of the MS view.

Love AC

Love AC

put this together any suggestions

Thank you for your letter dated the 3rd May 2007 and you comments are noted.

As advised in my last letter dated the 30th April 2007 you have a LEGAL OBLIGATION under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 section 78 to supply this information upon request which was made on the 11th July 2006. Failure to comply with a valid request within a period of 12 days (not including the date of receipt of the request) he may not enforce the agreement at all. This prevents enforcement with or without a court order. If a default lasts for a month (for example a calendar month) it constitutes an offence under the said ACT summarily punishable by a Level 4 fine on the standard scale.

Consequently I do not acknowledge any debt to the Halifax.

You have had more than enough time to comply with my request. Yet you believe that you are under no such legal obligation to supply the documentation in question under the new terms of the Consumer Credit Act section 15, where exactly in the Consumer Credit Act 2006 does it specifically relate to alleged agreements entered into prior to its implementation date of the said ACT?

In any event, I shall expect a written confirmation from you acknowledging the contents of this letter within 5 working days, as per the requirements of section 15.3 of the Banking Code.

Yours faithfully

The Halifax have sent me a copy of an application form, no prescribed terms etc.

They then sent me a set of terms and conditions. I have read the application form, the terms and conditions and the banks standard current account terms and conditions, and nowhere does it state that they can transmit my personal data to third parties, other than insurance companies with regard to PPI or card protection.

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

My Letter

Date 19/03/07

Dear Madame

In response to your letter dated 13 March 2007.

I dispute the debt on two grounds. You state in your letter that you have complied with sec 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I contend that you have failed in your obligation has your response does not comply with the requirements under the SI 1983 The Regs No 1557 2 (1). You also state in the above letter that my Credit Card has never been renewed; this statement appears to be incorrect. I would like to draw your attention to sec 85 of the said Act, sec 85 is clear and unambiguous it clearly states that one of the required documents i.e. a copy of the executed Agreement is to be supplied when a Credit Card is renewed and by not supplying one you fail in your obligation under the Act.

On the first of May 2005 my Credit card was renewed. I contend that the Agreement has been unenforceable from this date due to a state of default and has subsequently led to an unjust enrichment. To remedy this I require the refunding of monies taken, I have calculated this to be £224.57.

I will not be making any more payments towards this debt until the dispute has been resolved I hope we can reach an amicable agreement and settle our differences without the need for court action. However, if need be I will vigorously contest any court action you decide to take.

Yours Faithfully

The response

I write further to your letter of 19th March 2007 the contents of which have been noted.

Hwever, following our telephone conversation today, i am very pleased that we were able to reach an agreement to settle this enquiry for the amount outlined in your letter.

Please, therefore, find enclosed a cheque for £224.57 in full and final settlement. In addition to this payment, i have refunded the two charges of £12.00, which wereapplied to your acount whilst this account continued to be in dispute.

Paul

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

hi sorry to jump in but could anyone have a look at a agrement in my thread and comment on letter i have written thanks

voyager

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions/87130-voyager9-littlewoods.html

nationwide settled in full 7/06/2007

yorkshire bank settled in full 15/06/2007

capital one filed at court 06/06/2007 acknowledged 15/6 defence received 30/6 AQ sent 2/7 with application for summary judgement--hearing date 18 sept foe defence to be struck out

cahoot filed at court 25/06/2007 to acknowledge default judgement granted 27/06###won###settled in full

HBOS filed at court acknowledged 20/06/2007 default judgement granted 16th july so won

Hi

Regarding earlier comments on this thread about how a document could be enforced if it had the sigs and prescribed terms.

Just to add, of course anything could be enforced the court has the power, no more section127(3) on contracts dated on or after 6th April so all bets are off. No more unenforceable agrements they could enforce a bus ticket.

The question is, is it likely.

I would say as likely as a judge confusing an application form for an aggreement.

Lets hope i am right

Peter

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Hi

Regarding earlier comments on this thread about how a document could be enforced if it had the sigs and prescribed terms.

Just to add, of course anything could be enforced the court has the power, no more section127(3) on contracts dated on or after 6th April so all bets are off. No more unenforceable agrements they could enforce a bus ticket.

The question is, is it likely.

I would say as likely as a judge confusing an application form for an aggreement.

Lets hope i am right

Peter

Peter

Just to add to this very interesting post about the implications of the cca 2006 s.15 aspect by Richard Spud

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/87159-balir-oliver-scott-2.html#post797483

Hi Guys!

Thought that you might enjoy seeing the two bright white shiny new pieces of paper that were sent to me by MS on 17 February 2007.

Please note the differing dates on the front, MA100040N9999 05/06 and at the bottom MS Bnk Cut 12/04

credit limit zero and on the reverse penalty charges are quoted at £12 as opposed to £20!

MS do not have an agreement...so it appears that they knocked this up

Incidentally, I do not have a MS cc Therefore obviously nothing, no card was attached.

AC

Hi AC

they sent me the exact same thing....... and a few fob off letters since

but the have picked on the wrong guy if the want an easy ride......

I am so having a go at them :)

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Sorry - wrong thread!

VITAL - IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE ABOUT THE INCREASED BAILIFFS' POWERS TO BREAK INTO YOUR HOME AND USE FORCE IN ORDER TO GET YOUR GOODS THEN JOIN THE PETITION HERE:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....l#post53879 9

Anyone seeing this who wants to help by copying it to their signature please do.

Hi AC

they sent me the exact same thing....... and a few fob off letters since

but the have picked on the wrong guy if the want an easy ride......

I am so having a go at them :)

Dave

Hi Dave...I take comfort in the fact that I am obviously not alone!

As you know I have reported the Offence to my local TS who in turn reported it to the Tower Hamlets TS.

MS are reliant upon 1983 Regs. regulation 3 and because of that reg., state that they have complied.

TS do not agree due to 1983 Regs. regulation 7.

To date MS have not put into writing to me regarding their regulation 3 argument. However, TS have insisted that MS write to me setting out their view and apparently I should receive their letter shortly...Hmmm!?

I am sure that if I receive the aforementioned correspondence, it will be jargon and waffle.

Perhaps a similar letter to yours:-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/84285-ccas-dave-against-world.html?highlight=davefirewalker#post760385

Morgan Stanley have picked on the wrong person if they think that they can get away with this blatant deception, I will fight them to the bitter end.

AC

Hi Dave...I take comfort in the fact that I am obviously not alone!

As you know I have reported the Offence to my local TS who in turn reported it to the Tower Hamlets TS.

MS are reliant upon 1983 Regs. regulation 3 and because of that reg., state that they have complied.

TS do not agree due to 1983 Regs. regulation 7.

To date MS have not put into writing to me regarding their regulation 3 argument. However, TS have insisted that MS write to me setting out their view and apparently I should receive their letter shortly...Hmmm!?

I am sure that if I receive the aforementioned correspondence, it will be jargon and waffle.

Perhaps a similar letter to yours:-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/84285-ccas-dave-against-world.html?highlight=davefirewalker#post760385

Morgan Stanley have picked on the wrong person if they think that they can get away with this blatant deception, I will fight them to the bitter end.

AC

Hi

If all that MS has sent you is this new generic version of

'an agreement' (complete with the new default charge of £12!) then they definitely have not complied, because this is not the agreement that was executed. A copy of the agreement that you signed would show the original default charge amounts for a start! It also would not have quoted a Total Charge for Credit, as this is a new requirement under the 2006 CCA amendments.

But I am very confused as to why TS are referring to section 7 of the 'copies and Notices' regs:

7.--(1) Where an agreement has been varied in accordance with section 82(1) of the Act, every copy of the executed agreement given to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act other than section 85(1) shall include either-

(a) an easily legible copy of the latest notice of variation given in accordance with section 82(1) of the Act relating to each discrete term of the agreement which has been varied; or

(b) an easily legible statement of the terms of the agreement as varied in accordance with section 82( 1) of the Act.

(2) Where a security provided in relation to a regulated agreement has been varied, every copy of the security instrument relating to it given to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act shall include either-

(a) an easily legible copy of any document varying the security; or (b) an easily legible statement of the terms of the security as varied.

As far as I can see, this section applies where an agreement has been varied (where this is allowed in the agreement) and requires that in addition to the copy of the executed agreement, the creditor must send a copy of any notice of variation that might have been previously sent to you, or a statement of the varied terms.

The rest of this section applies to agreements where security has been provided.

I don't see how this relates in any way to the core requirement for the creditor to send a copy of the original executed agreement (with or without signatures, as is permitted)? :???:

Regards, Pam

VITAL - IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE ABOUT THE INCREASED BAILIFFS' POWERS TO BREAK INTO YOUR HOME AND USE FORCE IN ORDER TO GET YOUR GOODS THEN JOIN THE PETITION HERE:

Anyone seeing this who wants to help by copying it to their signature please do.

Hi Pam

I am also confused now....

in my letter they ARE relying on reg 7

--------------

True Copy

Section 78(1) of the Act states that, amongst other things, the creditor shall give the debtor a copy of the executed agreement. The Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 (“the Regulations”) provide that any copy of the agreement supplied to a debtor should be a ‘true’ copy. Regulation 3(2) provides that a copy may omit certain information, including the signature box, signature and date of signature.

The copy provided by us to you is a ‘true’ copy even if the signature box and/or signatures are not included.

An agreement which has been varied

As the terms of your Agreement have varied since you originally applied for a credit card, Regulation 7 of the Regulations allows us to provide you with a “true copy” which sets out the terms and conditions current at the time of provision of the copy.

As the copy of the agreement sent to you on 27 March 2007 represents the present terms of your agreement, we have provided you with a copy of the executed agreement as prescribed by section 78 of the Act.

----------------------

they are so wrong

Dave

I am also confused now....

in my letter they ARE relying on reg 7

--------------

Well, I am EVEN MORE confused now!

AC has stated that TS are relying on section 7 to show that MS have not complied, but you are now saying that MS are relying on section 7 to show that they have!! :???: :???:

Regards, Pam

:confused: HELP PLEASE.......

NatWest are in breach of a CCA 1974 Section 77/78 request. They have written to me saying that they cannot provide a properly executed copy of my credit card agreement. However they have passed the debt to Triton Credit Services who have written to me about settlement.

Am I right in thinking that whilst they are in breach of a CCA request they cannot pass the debt to a DCA?

Coincidentally Capital One have just done the same - different DCA though - no copy of card agreement but pursuing the debt.

I requested advice in a seperate thread - see below - but none was forthcomming

"NatWest in breach of CCA 1974 what now?"

Any advice will be gratefully received, Cheers ROS :confused:

RiPoFfStOpPeR

Natwest has said that? In writing? Perfect. Write to the DCA include a copy of the letter. Tell them you do not recognise this debt and that without a properly executed agreement (in this case any agreement) it is unenforceable in court. Any attempts to pursue this will be vigorously defended. Also check if they have any defaults against you and you must insist they remove them within five days. If they don't send a letter before action and take out an N1 against whoever is registering your personal data. You would also be entitled to complain to Trading Standards and the Information Commissioner and I would do so.

you are correct in that whilst in default they can no longer take any action regarding the debt. this includes passing it on to third parties.

I would write them a letter telling them that they are in default of your s78 request and until they produce the docs they cannot take any further action. however as they are in default and have comitted an offence you will be reporting them to the regulatory bodies concerned. cc this to the dca and sit back and wait for the fun to start.

rgds

Dave

send something like this, suitably edited of course

---------------------------

I refer to my letters dated XXXXXXXX which was delivered via recorded delivery to your offices on XXXXXXXX, and my follow up letter dated XXXXXXXX.

In my letter xxxxxxI made a formal request for a copy of the signed, executed credit agreement for the above numbered XXXXXXXX account under section 77(1) and section 78(1) of the Consumer Credit Act. In addition a statement of my account should have been sent along with any other document mentioned in the credit agreement.

The Consumer Credit Act allows 12 working days for this request to be carried out before your company enter into a default situation. If the request is not satisfied after a further 30 calendar days, Your company commit an offence. These time limits expired on XXXXXXXX and XXXXXXXX respectively.

As you are no doubt aware subsection (6) states:

If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—

(a) He is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement; and

(b) If the default continues for one month he commits an offence.

Therefore as at XXXXXXXX this account became unenforceable at law and it is now my intention to refer this matter to the enforcement authorities.

Any default notices or adverse comments your company have recorded on my credit reference file should be immediately removed.

Failure to respond favourably to this letter within seven (7) days of receipt will result in immediate litigation being commenced against your company without further notice.

I await your rapid response.

Thank you Rhia and davefirewalker for your replies. Dave, I did send a letter along the lines of your suggested draft on the 23rd April and I copied the OFT and FSA informing them of the breach of the CCA.

The OFT have not responded and the FSA replied that they are unable to intervene in individual cases. They go on to say that CCs do not come under their remit.

In the meantime NatWest have done what they will always do and that is to carry on sublimely ignoring anything that they choose to regardless of the law or public opinion.

So they have sold the debt whilst being in breach of the CCA1974 S77/S78 for failing to provide a copy of the properly executed document and I quote..."It is not that I am refusing to send you a copy of the original agreement, the reason I am not able to send this to you is because I have not been able to locate it. After a number of extensive searches, it has not been possible to find the original agreement for this account" ... and this was signed by a senior customer advisor.

So Rhia in the light of this info is it OK to write to the DCA along the lines you've suggested? Cheers ROS

RiPoFfStOpPeR

Yes. Most definitely and the DCA should refer it back to Natwest. I wouldn't let up on either party though as it may come back to bite you. Lay it to rest once and for all and use all the statutory bodies you can.

I would send it in writing to your local Trading Standards office. I and others have amixed experience of TS but I think this is so obvious they must act.

What you want is for Natwest to say officially that because they cannot find this agreement the debt will have to be written off. If they really don;t respond there is nothing to stop you taking out a civil action. If you have written as Dave suggests alter it slightly with a clear heading LETTER BEFORE ACTION. Tell them that they have failed to reply to your letter dated XXX.Unless they produce the agreement you will have no option but to start court action. Give them a get out and say if they have no agreement they will be unable to pursue you, process your personal data or assign this debt to a DCA so you would like a letter saying that they agree not to do any of that and give them a reasonable amount of time to reply - say 14 days and warn them you will issue an N1 and mean it. It may concnetrate their minds. Also justa thought I would find out the name of their legal person and not bother with customer services. they have no legal training and will be unable to appreciate just how much trouble Natwest is in. Illegally processing your personal data alone can attract a prison sentence. Hope this helps

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4938 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks