• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

GHD Straighteners - RESULT!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5067 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know the address for the Ghd straightners to return them as mine are also faulty?Reply asap.thanks

As found by a Google Search:

ghd UK - contact

Tel:

0845 3301133

Fax:

01535 651 511

Address:

PO BOX 397

Keighley,

BD20 0WX,

UK

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all!!! i have found this site soo helpfull!!! i only joined last week about trying to recieve a refund from all my bank charge!! awaiting my charges from the last 6 years to be put through the post!! fingers crossed it all goes well!!

Anyway!! my second pair of straighteners broke last night, exactly the same way as my last pair!! at the start of the cable there were sparks and flames coming out of a hole on the cable right beside the actual straighteners!! exactly the same place as my last ones!!

so im going to send them both back explaining there must be a fault!! i dont have reciepts or the box's for any of them as they were both presents, and never thought the need to keep the box's, i know there both under a year old, but dont know where they were purchased either!?

Do i have a chance of getting them both replaced!?

i dont know what to right in the letter i send them? can anybody help me how to word the letter correctly maybe include my right as a customer - to make sure i get them both replaced!?

Hope some1 can help me :confused:

Thanx for your help again,

Caroline x:p x

• 1 month later...

I know this is quite an old thread but i could really do with some advice from yourself bookworm! im in the same position as you were with GHD my daughters are only 14 months old and after sending them back last week they have sent me a letter basically saying exactly the same as what your said, they also say they cant repair them but offering to sell me a new pair for a discount price of £70 or they will send my old ones back for £10!!! :(

What details did you write in your letter back to them to get a result !

Please help i think its awful that they sell these things for so much and they only last 12 months!

Lucy x

They probably thought best to fix them as it wasn't long ago that they were on Watchdog, with complaints of exactly the same fault!

Apparently a certain batch had the same fault and would burst into flames of their own accord. Even if the unit was not switched on, but the plug was in the socket - it could still burst into flames.

Pretty scary stuff!

den3371:p

• 2 weeks later...

I founf this thread when searching for info on faulty GHDs. Mine have stopped working completely and are about 2 years old. I am in the middle of composing a letter just now, so I'll let you know what what happens. It sounds like I might be in for a fight though!

My 3 yr old ghd mark 3 straighteners recently accquired a fault - the light flickered and they lost heat now and again - because it isnt constant I suspect it is a break in the wire, so emailed Jamella and explained the fault and asked if they could repair them. Got a reply email same day from GHD:

We were sorry and concerned to receive details of the problem you have experienced with the ghd irons.

The ghd iron is a high quality product and we pride ourselves on the reliability of the products in our range.

If you're in the UK or Ireland you need to return the irons to us, preferably by a registered delivery service insured to the value of your parcel so you can keep track of them, accompanied by a brief letter detailing the problem.

we aim to repair or replace them and return them to you within 14 working days.

To obtain an update on the progress of your returns you need to contact our customer services team on 0845 330 11 33.

the next day a pre paid self addressed envelope from Jamella arrived for me to send back the straighteners for examination and possible repair.

then a week later this arrives:

we write in relation to the ghd styling irons you recently returned to us. We are sorry to see that yu have experienced a proble mwith these. Your styling irons have been examined and we have determined the reason for fault occuring. It was concluded that the fault was not associated with and manufacturing defect but rather due to wear and tear. Unfortunately the styling irons are considerably outside the manufacturers warranty period which is 12 months from the date of purchase.

Due to the age of the styling irons which you have returned to us we are unfortinately no longer able to support this model of iron as the parts are no longer manufactured. This would mean that yoru styling irons cannot be repaired. However as a valued ghd customer we would like to take this opportunity to offer you an updated model ghd styling iron for a significant saving over the rrp.

If you wish to have your styling irons replaced please contact out customer service team they will be happy to assist you with replacing your ghd styling irons and a ssist you with a credit or debit card payment. should you wish to send a cheque we would have to wait 10 days for it to clear.

please note that these ghd styling irons come with a full 12 month warranty however should you elect to replace your irons with the new mark 4 iron tis would come comlete with a 2 yr warranty. All ghd styling irons are fully tested in accordance with prevaling electrical safety standards. please comtact us within 21 days to advise which wourse of action you wish to take. Please note that if you request your styling irons to be returned to you they may be subject to a small postage and handling charge.

we need to make you aware that your styling irons will not be returned unless you call and may be disposed of after a period of time if you do not contact us.

I replied by email to find out how much it is going to cost me to replace the irons on a like for like basis. Someone from Ghd gave me a call just now and said it will cost £60 for the mark 3, well there is no way i can afford to spend that much given i have already spent 105 on the pair i have sent back to them, I have hardly used them! I used them only when i went out on the town which is about once a month. I dont think around 36 times is excessive wear and tear and they would know by looking at them they have hardly had any use they still look like new.

Anyway I explained to the woman I cant afford to spend that amount, so could they please return my straighteners which i will just have to make do with.

She said it is going to cost me £10 postage and handling fee to return the straighteners.

I am appaulled that I am now being told I have got to pay for the return of my item when there was no mention of this before I sent it them.

I dont call £10 a small postage and 'handling' fee considering it would actually cost 2 or 3 pounds to post them. I offered to send a pre paid self addressed envelope with insurance and they refused, said They arent allowed to do that.

I said please hold the straighteners and do not destroy them, while i seek legal advice.

:mad: I feel really annoyed that I wasnt informed of this £10 charge to return my straighteners to me BEFORE I sent them.

are they allowed to do this by law?

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I received exactly the same letter as the one pasted by bookworm. I bought my ghds 3 and a half years ago; the top plate came free just out-with the warranty period. I should have sent them in at the time, but didn't contact Jemella until I had heard of a number of people who had the same problem as I. I wrote them a letter explaining my concerns to which they replied with a pre-paid special delivery bag and no letter. I sent the ghds in this bag, and their response was to send me the letter as received by bookworm. I replied to them with a letter to Andrew Harris, the head of customer care. I received a letter back from 'him' with a further offer of £20 off styling product - i think not!! They did say that I would be charged £10 to get straighteners back. I think by law they can do what they like, however, if you were to take them to a small claims court (not sure if they have that in England) you may be able to claim the costs back as being unreasonable and not part of your contract. As far as I am concerned it is Jemella who asked for my irons to be returned - I had never suggested to them that they might want to look at them. To give them their due, they do reply to letters, but I think it might be helpful if all of us who have similar problems with the irons all sing from the same songsheet! I for one am not prepared to let this drop. They may be charging £10 for their handling charge, however my handling charge for sending the irons to them as per their implied request is more expensive than that: in my estimation (yet to be confirmed), the time take to wrap this item,take it to the post office, and the petrol costs incurred amounts to about £25. If anyone knows the legal position on this, their advice would be much appreciated!

I think the people over at GHD must be having a load of complaints.... and are responding less helpfully as time has gone on.

I have sent 2 pairs back to them in the past and had them repaired free of charge. My friend also sent a pair back and had hers repaired free of charge. Neither of us had the receipt, but went overboard about how an appliance costing in excess of £100 should be expected to last longer than 14 months without blowing up (slightly dramatic, but hey ho).

Quoting the Sale of Goods Act, 1979 may have helped.... Mentioning that their company is now featured on CAG with many people having a similar problem may also help... ;)

Good luck...

• 3 weeks later...

**Tresemme Hair straighteners are FANTASTIC and only £29.99 **

I got so fed up with the people at GHD that I thought I would buy myself a 'cheap' pair. So i bought Tresemme (made by Phillips) for £29.99from Boots. These are fantastic straighteners!! They heat up within 60 secs (the package says 30 secs, but i prefer to leave a bit longer), and max heat is 200 degrees. I am so delighted with them. Boots will replace them within a year if there are any problems at all.. So no need to worry about dealing with manufacturers. Really I am flabbergasted about how good these are compared to GHD. GHD may be slightly better, but I am not wholly convinced of that.. they are certainly not £70 better!!

As far as I am concerned I have cut my losses and they can bin the garbage that they sold me. Live and learn - I will never buy GHD again.

• 4 weeks later...

hiya,

im new to this site but have found it very useful. i got my ghds in dec 04 and one day i was using them and they smoked and then its been making a crakling sparkling sound ever since. So i searched the internet and ame across this site and thought, il send them back with a letter stating the following:

25 June 2007

To Whom It May Concern:

I have enclosed my GHD hair straighteners, which I have been advised to return by yourselves as they are faulty. The fault occurred when I was using them, as there was a small bang resulting in a spark and smoke, where the wire connects to the straighteners. Then the GHD’s started to make a crackle and sparkle sound, which still occurs when they are switched on. I have been advised that it is an electrical fault and not to use them, if continued use of the product it would be damaging to my health as I could have an electrical shock and there is also the risk of fire.

According to the Sales of Goods Act 1979, section 14 [2a]:

“For the purposes of this Act, goods are of a satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account of any description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all the circumstances.”

With reference to the Sales of Goods Act 1979, section 14 [2a], it is an implied term which means that it is so obvious, it need not to be written into specific contract. Also taking into consideration that the price paid for the hair straighteners (£90) the durability of the product should last longer and the fault that has occurred is not due to normal wear and tear.

Therefore, as a reasonable person, I would expect the straighteners to have lasted for a longer period of time as due care was taken when they were used (which was on average bout two to three times a month). As there is a fault with the GHD’s I would expect then to be repaired or replaced at no occurred cost to me considering what has already been spent purchasing the item.

Your company is now featured on the Consumer and Action Group website. Receiving bad publicity should not be top of your agenda but rather encourage good publicity, so do the correct and honourable thing by repairing or replacing the GHD’s free of charge.

I then recieved a letter back from them the same as "bushwackah" and its basically saying wear and tear and to send £10 for them to be returned and that yo have 21 days.

Now i do not no what to do? do i (a) send them £10? or (b) write another letter but if i write a letter what should i say?

I know ive had them for like 2 years and 6months (from the date they were sent back) but i would expect £100 odd straighteners to last more then that time, like many of you have said.

Please someone help me arggghhhh..........

Rachel

Stand your ground.

I think with the amount of people coming on this thread, I'm going to have to write template letters just for GHD! :mad:

In the meantime, try this:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your letter dated (insert date).

I do not however accept that straighteners which cost considerably more than the average pair, and which are marketed (and priced!) as being the best, should fail after such a short time.

I remind you that Trading Standards take price into consideration as well when considering whether an item is of satisfactory quality and/or fit for its purpose. I do not believe that my GHD straighteners fall into that category, having failed after a realtively short period of time.

I expect my straighteners to be returned to me free of charge and fixed, or a working replacement to be sent to me within 14 days of this letter.

If you fail to do so, or discard my property without my permission, please be advised that I will seek redress through the County Courts, and let a judge decide on whether a £90 seldom used appliance should totally fail within such a short period of time. Bearing in mind that your company has already lost this type of cases when Trading Standards prosecuted in Gloucestershire, I should think you'll be in a very precarious situation.

Yours faithfully,

xxx

Please please PLEASE let us know how you get on, I really wish people would, it gives so much encouragement when we hear positive outcomes!

Hi Bookworm 'n all,

I received this letter from Jemella and thought I would post it for your reference. I am still thinking about the reply, any comments welcome.

From this letter, they seem to be telling me that all was hunky dory with their product, when I supposedly purchased mine. In actual fact the court case seems to have still been live.

I didn't in fact purchase my GHD's 'till much later....late 2003 or early 2004, and they have not had extensive usage. Same happened with mine, sparks flew, frightened me half to death LOL. Felt quite shaken seriously and was not in the mood for going out after......

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture006-1.jpg

Woolwich won in court/default removed Barclaycard Settled Halifax settled

Capital 1Settled GE Money Settled

Egg Settled-court action re.default 4th hearing!

Ok... the comments I would pick apart are :

They say that it was manufatured in 2003 and the problem was related to the cable which has since been rectified ? Obviously not, since a programme was made about GHD irons blowing up and it is still happening. It is also a very common problem... as has been witnessed on here.

Furthermore, it should have been made to withstand daily usage anyway... I bought an iron (for clothes) from Tesco for £4.95 several years ago... use it loads... and that hasn't blown up in my face. Neither have any of my other electrical appliances, including hair dryers ! They are trying very hard to wriggle out of any responsibility here... by saying that it's to be expected.. wear & tear, etc..

They have also implied that it's your fault by putting "undue strain" on the cable :mad: . How exactly do you do that then ? :D It's used to style hair... not to hang things from !

They are no longer able to support this type of iron as the parts are no longer available ? Duff then, were they ? Why else would you alter the components of a product ? How convenient....

They are taking advantage of the fact that you have no receipt in order to fob you off. Unfortunately, having no receipt doesn't help you... so all you can do is argue back and stand your ground. The fact they are now charging you for the return of the irons is appalling customer service ! If they are not built to last a reasonable amount of time... then they are hugely over-priced for their intended lifespan.

You need to get your irons back... but keep the pressure up. Ask them for clarification on the lifespan for a pair of these things... mention the CAG... that scores of others have had similar problems... and if they are not prepared to take the matter seriously, that you will gain the support of members on here to take things further and raise public awareness.

Have you seen Bookworm's letter on Page 1 of this thread ?

• Haha 1

Hi my GHD's stopped working and I mentioned to my niece who told me to squeeze them tightly together and they would work and she was right. She had had a the same fault on her's and because they were still under guarantee she got a new pair. I returned mine (no longer under guarantene) and they said they weren't faulty but they would fix them for £40 plus a yr's guarantee but I had to pay it quickly or they were destroying them. I was angry as it was the exact same fault as my neices plus I did not have a spare £40. Hence I guess my GHD's got destroyed. Didn't think companies could do that? I got a letter worded very similarly to the one Yasmin got. Would appreciate any comments on this.

Thanks a lot

Thanks PriorityOne, some useful points made here. I will try to compose a letter tomorrow. It is important, as you say that I get them back, Just can't believe the damn cheek of them charging me for it!

Yep I saw Bookworms letter on page 1...missed the recent tv doc. though unfortunately......

By the way, did you notice the Without Prejudice...hmmmm me thinks they have something to hide:-D

Yes... I did notice the Without Prejudice bit 8) . I also thought afterwards about checking the flex on yours when you get them back.... seeing as they are talking about wear and tear, etc... As I see it, unless the wires were exposed from inside the flex in the first place and were touching each other... then how could the sparks have been generated to blow it up, so to speak ? :wink:

I just remembered that I paid for my GHD"s by Barclaycard....so I will have details on my statement. I was also wondering if I would have any reproach through Barclaycard,for faulty goods, given the evidence of the court case etc etc, even though time has passed by!!:wink:

I just remembered that I paid for my GHD"s by Barclaycard....so I will have details on my statement. I was also wondering if I would have any reproach through Barclaycard,for faulty goods, given the evidence of the court case etc etc, even though time has passed by!!:wink:

Excellent !! ... and yes, you should be able to go through Barclaycard as well. :D

Yes, the letter I got for my daughter was the same about the excessive flexing, and the no proof of purchase. It is unreal that so many should have the same problem. I honestly think it will take a death to get GHD stand up and take notice. :-x

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5067 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks