Employment/Work and asscioated benefits woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2969 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your boss has a serious personality problem, talk about a control freak! Not to mention that I suspect he is a possible illegal immigrant... from Cloud Cuckoo Land. His rules are utterly, totally, completely mad.

I would say that not having to use a nappy while working is a pretty basic human right. So is the right to grab a cup of water, or say "good morning" to your fellow workers.

If you were all prepared to turn up with giant towelling nappies over your uniforms your employer would no doubt get the message.

Seriously, that rule has to be against the DDA, as many conditions make it a problem to go that long without a loo visit. It is also discriminating against women, we tend to be the ones with pelvic floor problems after childbirth.

No talking? Unless you work in a trappist monastry I don't see it. Are you expected to play charades for such requests as "please can you help me lift this" or "excuse me?".

This total lunatic really is out of order, and I would say that anyone who ends up being refused the toilet has a very good case for constructive dismissal - I would not continue working somewhere where that had happened.

I would ring the human rights commission, seriously, I am pretty sure that your dictator has gone too far.

Bizarrely, at 4 hours a day, there is no legal entitlement to take a break - even to use the loo - unless you have a medical condition which makes it neccessary, when it could be covered as 'reasonable adjustments' under the DDA. That isn't to say that you shouldn't try lodging a grievance on the subject as it is an unreasonable practice to forbid this. There is a Human Rights angle, but it would prove very costly and lengthy and would rely on a test of reason.

Similarly, as HB has already said, the law only requires employers to maintain a 'reasonable' temperature, but there MUST be thermometers available to check how hot or cold it is. As before, you probably need to raise this as a grievance, possibly collectively and try and negotiate some sort of consideration for when it is particularly hot. Most reasonable employers will allow staff to carry a bottle of water, for example to help with workplace comfort.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

This is a classic case of management doing their best to get the very most out of their workforce! (my tongue was firmly in my cheek there of course).

This Dickensian approach to employees is ridiculous. Follow the advise above and raise a grievance about it.

CB500

Any advise that is given, is from my experience, either in life in general or from my years of senior management in the hospitality and leisure industries. However, please take legal advise before taking any actions.

I have merged several threads regarding your employment.

please keep all related stuff to one thread.. it keeps our forum tidy and helps folks help you (when they see your thread they see all your details.. very helpful)

Zararh,

Sorry you are wrong and Elpulpo is right. (when you have been on here long eough you will learn not to challenge vertain people - Elpulpo is one of them). By law 20 mins if you work more than six hours in a day. Anything else depends on whether your union has been able to negaitiate a longer peiod or two small breaks - therefore speak to your union reo - if you have one.

Cheers - Scousegeezer

cheers for the telling off! im aware of what the law is! i just wanted it confirmed as some sites say different. We get 30 min for anything over 6 hours, its in our handbook...:-|

In all fairness, you asked about break entitlement, elpulpo gave you the statutory requirement (which is correct), you just posted your reply without specifying that in your job, you were getting more than the statutory requirement, hence the confusion, especially as you had said that you had "different answers on other forums".

If you want a precise answer, you need to ask the right questions, I'm afraid, we can't read your mind. ;-)

I have to say that when I read your thread as a standalone, I was feeling very sorry for you. then I read a few more threads about your employment issues, and a different image stared to appear: Seems to me that either you are seriously unlucky in your choice of employments and always end up with the slave drivers, law-breakers etc... or you may be a serial complainer, aways raising hell as soon as somethign happens you don't like. I can't decide which, but I have to say your attitude just on this forum makes me incline to think the latter.

I would be the last person to say to people not to stand up for their rights, but likewise, there needs to be give and take on both sides. I also (cos I'm an old cynic, me) wonder whether you may be looking for a way out of this employment which would lead to the same success as it did in your last one, and are hoping the advice on this forum will help you in that direction. My apologies if that is not the case at all.

If it is the case that you are in fact working for Simon Legree, I strongly suggest you start looking elsewhere before your health and mental welfare are affected. :-)

In some store they do not even provide a thermometer to gage the temperature, they are breaking the law asking staff to work in these conditions, very large store do not even provide water for their employees even though the store sells the stuff. One time I was told to buy my own water and had to wait until break to get it, it was bakeing in the store as well, because lighting is continuous on in the store and around the counter area. Lots of people in the store and the store staff area is 3 or 4 floors up in a very slow lift and to get to the lift you first have to walk across the floor and while getting to the lift customers will asked you questions about stock etc. Manager when this happens and you are judged from the time you leave your work place to go to the staff area and you cannot say no to customers as that is a hanging offence.

Rant over. :?

Edited by Allwood

Zararh,

This site exists to advise people, of legal parameters ; where they exist. People can then make an informed judgement of what action if any they wish to take. I think you confused your handbook with the law when stating what breaks people are allowed at work. Your handbook states you get 30 mins - the law states a minimum of 20 mins. The law ( working time directive) also states that the break should be taken during the middle hours of your working day. As far as temperature is concerned, there is a minimum ( and I stand to be corrected here as I havent dealt with it for a number of years now) , the minimum being 15c. There is no upper limit for temperature. Hope this helps

It is so counterproductive, if an employer is reasonable and treat their employees with respect then they will get a good service in return. If an employee wants to use the loo and is not allowed surely they cannot be expect that employee to be able to give a good services to customers. The same with a drink of water when the weather is hot either they have a bottle of water available for their employees as it would be too disruptive to walk so far to the staff cloakroom to get one. How can some employers tolerate such bad managers, surly they should be trained in awareness on how to treat the people that they are supposed to be managing, or maybe these people are just too thick to learn).:o

Edited by Allwood

It is so counterproductive, if an employer is reasonable and treat their employees with respect then they will get a good service in return. If an employee wants to use the loo and is not allowed surely they cannot be expect that employee to be able to give a good services to customers. The same with a drink of water when the weather is hot either they have a bottle of water available for their employees as it would be too disruptive to walk so far to the staff cloakroom to get one. How can some employers tolerate such bad managers, surly they should be trained in awareness on how to treat the people that they are supposed to be managing, or maybe these people are just too thick to learn).:o

Absolutely right. Unfortunately some Managers wear the badge but have never learned to 'manage' and it is all about power. Sadly some never learn that in giving just a little you can get a lot more back in return. Management is all about understanding the staff, not just the business needs, and learning which buttons to press, and when, to get the best out of an employee, not just the most!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Yah were contracted for 4 hours a day. But like today i was asked to stay and do 6 hours. I asked for my break after 3 hours and was told "you have to wait 4 hours to go, its the law!!!" now ive looked this up and there is no actual law which says this only "goverment guidlines" which says your break should be in the middle of your shift. Ive done days were ive had my break in my last hour!!

If you work 4 hrs then there is no break but why not work 4 hrs and 15 minutes and take the 15 minutes break. I think it is 20 minutes break for over 18s for 6 hours , 30 minutes if youre under 18.

a break after 4 hours is normal practice (where I have worked anyway).

I think insisting on a break after 3 hours could be viewed as a bit picky.

An employee is entitled to a rest break where the working day is more than six hours.

The rest break should be a minimum of one uninterrupted period of 20 minutes.

During the rest break, an employee is entitled to leave their work station.

The rest break cannot be at the end of the shift.

http://www.bizhelp24.com/law/employee-working-hours-break-entitlement.html

Edited by HSBCrusher

Yea but what im saying is im asked to stay longer than i should. There asking me to do them a favour so surely letting me go on my break a bit early so i can have a drink is not unreasonable.