Employment/Work and asscioated benefits woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2969 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok well you have it a nutshell. Your employer is victimising you because of your activity in getting people to join a union. Your fight is clear, join get a 'branch' in you workplace and become the branch convenor. with the help of your soon to be union you can start sorting out the working conditions. if your employer starts on you at least you have recourse to the ET for the law about victimising union activity and membership.

I would be noting all the activity that you have seen that is suspect according to the law.

Don't have to answer this if you don't want to, but is the employer a 'main' stream employer or some sort of 'underworld' employer who relies on immigrant labour and abuses employment practices such as minimum wages?

It's a very well known shop chain. One of the supervisors has been in touch with me, shes joined. She seems to be next on there hit list so to speak. They want to demote her so they are sabotaging like they did to the other one. She told me shes told them shes stepping down. ive told her not to, shes giving them what they want.

Are you in a union?

Your place seems to be like a friend of mind, she is in a union and has had meeting about DDA all these union people say we will have a meeting but when the meeting is over the company goes back to the same old ways again. Nothing changes for my friend. Keep union informed about company not changing anything since last meeting in fact things go worse but all the union can come up with is more meeting.

My friend was in a union prior to this one and when the company kept breaching the DDA, all that union could come up with was keeps putting in grievances. What a joke these unions are. You would be far better off of paying for insurance for this service because at least you will be a decent opinion which union of incapable or do not want to give their members.

So have you got a plan of action?

Contact your local law centre and do not wast time with a union as they will be also working in the interest of the company.:-x The law centre has voluntary solicictors on selective evening for employment issues. You will have to contact them to make an appointment as they will not answer any question over the phone. :|

Best of Luck

Allwood, I agree with the independent Insurance protection for employment disputes. Unions are hit and miss and can be as bad as the employer. I said she should be in a union because if she is organising things she might get some additional protection should the company victimise her for her union activity. Still belt and braces get the Legal Protection cover in my view too.

Thanks. I have another job in the night so i wont be unmployed. Thats what i think this is all about. They want me there all the time. As in they'll rota me in for 12 days on the run doing split shifts. I have a 20 hour contract but usually do anywere between 30-50 hours a week. I told them i want a 30 hour contract so i can put in for tax credits or i wil get another job elsewere to make up the hours. They refused so i got another one. They keep asking me to stay but i say no. Ive asked my manager of the second job if he has any other jobs going so i can leave. Hes going to let me know monday so hopefully he will. If i leave without notice they have to pay me for holidays etc right?

Zara, be careful about leaving without notice. You might want to check it out on the directgov website, which has a lot of information. I just know that if I move away from this thread, my reply will be lost by my browser. I'm sure you have to give at least a week's notice, although that might include holiday you haven't taken. Don't just walk without making sure you know what the rules are.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

From what you've said earlier Zara, you might think they owe you some holiday. Can you talk us through how many days you think it is? I don't know offhand if that can be deducted from your week's notice, but one more week at the current place wouldn't be too awful, would it? It would be better to play by the rules and move on knowing nothing bad could get back to your new employer, I would say.

I really hope you enjoy the next job more than this one.

HB

I just had a thought though. I don't know if you would want to do this, but I think you could lodge a grievance in your resignation letter about the holiday mess-ups. It could still come back to having evidence in writing though, I don't know if you have that.

HB

Lukily our holidays we have left are shown on our payslips. According to mine after the to weeks im on now i still have 10 days to use 9which will run out 1st of october and 5 brought forward). I dont really know what to do just walk or do the notice thing. It really is unbearable. mmm ponder ponder

I just had a thought though. I don't know if you would want to do this, but I think you could lodge a grievance in your resignation letter about the holiday mess-ups. It could still come back to having evidence in writing though, I don't know if you have that.

HB

Well i still have all my payslips, which will show the wrong amount paid then the rest on another a few weeks later.

lol i booked two weeks off, which was approoved and signed on a holiday request form. Im on said two weeks now (back Tuesday). Were on weekly pay so last weeks wages ,which is a holiday should of been paid today. Im on a 20 hour contract so get paid for 20 when off on holiday. my wages today were 39.77 short. everytime i boom off they short change me. Next weeks wages are myholiday pay from this week,which im sure theyllcock up.What i meant was i have 10 days left to use. IF i quit arnt they supposed to pay me gor the 10 days on my final wage. The word "holiday" is starting to bug me lol