I WON! Halifax paid out £3533!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6433 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Prompted to post for the first time today as I received a response to my preliminary letter to Halifax…

I have also written letters for Grumpy (OH), so between us both the story so far is…

Halifax (I have combined the charges for my own account and our old joint account in one claim) – Total for both accounts - £2971

Preliminary letter sent – 14th July.

Today (18th July) I received two letters (one for each account) offering a total of £354 as a gesture of goodwill!

Goodwill? Shabbywill, I’d call it! About 12%.

I sent an amended LBA, acknowledging their gesture but stating that I wanted a full repayment. I don’t know if I should have said, “but you can throw the measly amount in my account in the meantime” – I hope they will think I am serious if I don’t look too keen to grab the first scrap they throw down.

Anyway, a bit scared now, all the same! Particularly, as their response stated that they reserve the right to close my account if I don’t manage it correctly.

Hope I’ve done the right thing!!!!

Excellent site - and very clear guidance - Thanks a lot

Halifax - £3533.02 reclaimed

MBNA1 - £150 reclaimed

First Direct - £330 reclaimed

MBNA2 (OH) – £275 reclaimed

Hi , Halifax are useless. the goodwill gesture i had on claiming £2500 back was a mere £60 and telling me they would and no time refund the full amount and that there would be no more communication on the matter. I accepted but not as full and final payment and made it clear i was carrying on my quest to have the full amount refunded. the second letter offered a further £60 giving me £120 in total. You can guess my reply and i am now preparing my LBA and adding on charges i have incured recently.

with regards closing the account, they could but i havent seen it yet, more really as a standard footnote on their letter, trying to assert authority.

i wish they would close my account, but they wont let me as I have charges pending.

As of Monday I will hjave 6 moneyclaims on the go, seriously, i have enough court house papers to paper my hallway. The halifax letters have already been put to use. (hope they were biodegradable)

Halifax WON X 2, Northern Rock WON, Capital One WON, Marbles WON, HSBC WON

On the 25th october I will be filing a claim for £175.00 Citicards. Just watch it!

I am about to sent my letter but i wont be accepting less than the full amount!!!

Would they accept less than the full amount when taking this money from us??

When I encured all these charges, which majority of them were in one month ( £1226) I despirately went into my branch and pleaded for help as all the charges encured left me with no money to pay my mortgage and left me with £5.00 in my purse to last me 30 days!!

I was so upset, how was I going to feed my family on that??

They were not interested one little bit, to see an emotional pregnant woman with a small child did absolutely nothing, and when i left I was sooo angry!!:-x

A friend recomended this site and after spending a number of hours finding information I feel much stronger and ready to take them on!!!!:D

So now we begin!!!!!!!

So best of luck!!!!

Hi , Halifax are useless. the goodwill gesture i had on claiming £2500 back was a mere £60 and telling me they would and no time refund the full amount and that there would be no more communication on the matter. I accepted but not as full and final payment and made it clear i was carrying on my quest to have the full amount refunded. the second letter offered a further £60 giving me £120 in total. You can guess my reply and i am now preparing my LBA and adding on charges i have incured recently.

I really think that these pathetic partial refunds just add insult to injury, don't you think?

Given that we are at the same stage with similar claims let's see whether we receive comaparable treatment - time to respond and responses, etc!!

Bit scared that I might actually have to file a claim!!!!!

MBNA1 - £150 reclaimed

I am about to sent my letter but i wont be accepting less than the full amount!!!

Would they accept less than the full amount when taking this money from us??

You are absolutely right!!!

To top it all (and strengthen a nearly steely resolve!) the day after I sent my preliminary letter a cheque I had written for childcare put my balance at £4.50 over my overdraft limit. Quick as a flash Halifax claimed £58 in charges.

On the one hand I do believe that I shouldn't spend money that I am not authorised to use, but to impose £58 for a minor miscalculation or oversight to the sum of £4.50 seems excessively harsh. Halifax's working practices can be seen unethical as those of semi-criminal loan sharks!

So onwards and upwards....

What are you claiming and what stage are you at?

Best of luck!!

MBNA1 - £150 reclaimed

Over the passed 18 months Halifax have taken £4000+ from my account in charges. In April over £200 was taken . I had funeral expenses to pay at the same time so I asked if they could please take the charges in a weeks time. I was flatly turned down and given a lengthy lecture as to how I should conduct my finances. I am now in the process of writting to ask for my statements for past 5 years and will not rest untill they have refunded all my charges.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Can anyone advise on how long it takes between filing a claim against a bank (Halifax) and the court issuing an Allocation questionnaire (should Halifax submit a defence)?

Halifax haven’t replied to my LBA (sent 28 July) and I want to file a claim but I will be out of the country for two weeks (from Friday 18th Aug until Tuesday 5th Sep).

I don't really want to wait until I get back to file a claim but I am worried that if I file it before I go, and Halifax submits a defence, the allocation questionnaire could arrive too soon for me to complete it within the time limit.

Does anyone know what the time limit is on completing the allocation questionnaire as one piece I read said it must be returned within 7 days and another piece said within 14 days. Which is correct?

Would it be safe enough to print a hard copy version of my claim and post it as I leave or should I wait until I get back?

Thanks

MBNA1 - £150 reclaimed

Hi there.

I filed my claim on 03/08/06

Courts replied with a letter stated that they deemed the papers served to Halifax on the 009/08/06.

They still haven't acknowledged the claim as yet.

Still waiting.

They're probably inundated....

Ha Ha Ha

Mat

Thanks Mat

Yes - I'm sure they are quite busy!!!

I think it would be safe to post it on the day I leave, don't you? Can't see why they would suddenly become efficient overnight!

Good luck with your claim.

Bubble

MBNA1 - £150 reclaimed

I have nearly completed this form and know I have to send two copies off with my fee. Two queries...

1. Do I write anything in the top right hand box of the form - where it says "In the..."

2. Where I have written...

"Interest pursuant to section 69 County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from the date of each charge to 16.08.06 of £442.02 and interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xx.xx"

....Surely I don't know what the daily rate is as it will change as the interest charges increase???

What have other people put?

I am tempted to put a full stop after "...earlier payment". Is this right?

A very nervous

Bubble

MBNA1 - £150 reclaimed

You will need to send in 3 copies of this form as well as three copies of the spreadsheet as well.

I took my claim forms in to my local court all ready filled in but left that bit blank they where fine about it they would fill that bit in.

Daily rate = amount of claim * 0.00022 so if your claiming £3000 * 0.00022 = 0.66 per day.

• 4 weeks later...

How utterly wonderful! Halifax have paid up in full and the money was transfered into my account with no prior warning.

This site is fabulous and my only complaint is that I am having trouble finding out how to make a donation. If nobody gives me a quick answer I will have to spend time tomorrow trying to find out!!!!!

MBNA1 - £150 reclaimed

I have just completed the CAG survey and have now seen the 'make a donation' button.

Have made my donation - with gratitude and humility!!!!

Should someone add this to the 'Make a Donation' sticky as it is not clear how to donate?

Out of interest - how are donations going?

Truley grateful

Bubble

MBNA1 - £150 reclaimed

Firstly Congratulations Bubble and also thanks for the donation, the link is at the top of the page and also in a few of the mods/site helpers signatures, Can you please pm a mod with the claim details so we can update the database

Thanks

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

well done Bubble

Hopefully only a couple of weeks away from getting mine; they're 7 days into the LBA

"Banks are people that will lend you an umbrella when it's sunny, but demand it back the minute it starts raining"

Brad v Halifax

22/08/06 - Preliminary Letter sent requesting full repayment of charges

06/09/06 - LBA sent to bank

Woo Hoo! success stories make me smile :D

Morris v Halifax

Data Protection Act letter sent 20/6

Charge deducted from account 27/6

6 yrs statements received 25/8

Prelim sent 30/8 (£1014 charges + £156.11 interest).

Std reply & complaints leaflet received 5/9

Offer received £70 9/9

LBA sent 12/9

No reply to LBA - MCOL requested 26/9

Offer received 26/9 - £218.

MCOL issued 26/9, acknowledged 29/9

Offer 29/9 - full amount ex. o/draft interest

Accepted as partial

Credited to account 12/10

AQ sent for rest

Morris1 v Barclaycard

Prelim letter sent 31/8 (£60 charges + interest).

Standard reply 9/9

Offer 12/9 - full amount!! :smile:

Morris 2 v Barclaycard (Mrsbass!):

Data Protection Act letter sent 7/9

Standard reply received 19/9 inc statements 5/04 to date and microfiche bilge.

Prelim 20/9 £100+interest actual, +same estimated.

LBA 3/10

Partial offer £48 6/10

Can you please pm a mod with the claim details so we can update the database

Thanks

Sorry to be dense but I have completed the survey and am not sure what details I need to pm to a mod.

Bubble

MBNA1 - £150 reclaimed

I have merged your threads so that others can see how you got your money back.

If you PM me your claim number, amount claimed, date filed and date settled I will post it in the Litigation Concluded forum.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

:p I am also claimimg got statements back calculated £1300, fight must go on.

You are absolutely right!!!

To top it all (and strengthen a nearly steely resolve!) the day after I sent my preliminary letter a cheque I had written for childcare put my balance at £4.50 over my overdraft limit. Quick as a flash Halifax claimed £58 in charges.

On the one hand I do believe that I shouldn't spend money that I am not authorised to use, but to impose £58 for a minor miscalculation or oversight to the sum of £4.50 seems excessively harsh. Halifax's working practices can be seen unethical as those of semi-criminal loan sharks!

So onwards and upwards....

What are you claiming and what stage are you at?

Best of luck!!

Hi. Congratulations to all who have successfully claimed back their charges. It's great and encouraging news. I am at the stage of filing a claim with the courts after receiving a paultry offer from the Halifax for only £550 of the £2410 I am claiming. Could anyone offer advise on how best to fill out the claim form as I'm a little unsure how to word it?