Landlord charging more for electric

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4842 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am currently renting a 1 bed flat with my fiancee and we have just recieved our first bill from the landlord (he writes his own) as he says the bill goes to him but all the flats are on sepereate meters.

The problem is that for 3 weeks he wants us to pay £76, we are on economy 7 and the 2 storage heaters that we have are on low (3 in 2 out) and have been checked to be working corectly i.e. times.

I think this is high and looking at what he is saying,the units are charged at dont really match up to what are the averages for night usage online, he is saying its 8p on a night per unit and 12p unit through day, but on line it says about 4.5 - 5p is average rate also he is charging the flat downsttairs 7p per unit on night rate and 11p day rate, so this concerns me and I think that he migh be lining his own pockets.

I have asked him for the itemised bill from the supplier, but I think he will try to flog us off like he did with another tennant. Just wondering what I can do.

Also I contacted the suspected supplier and they have told me that there is no record of the address on the national grid i.e. not on there system or over elec suppliers systems?

Thanks for any info

Edited by onintks

Hi,

The most a landlord can charge for electricity is what he has paid.

You landlord can find himself in deep trouble if he is making a profit on it. Keep all your bills as proof as if he is charging more you will have a case against him.

http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Consumers/Pages/Resaleofgasandelectricity.aspx

Hi, just recieved a message on phone with the landlord stating:

"I will send you an agrement with the elec company from 3 years ago for prices"

he will not send an actual bill also he says he will send another person bill around to show its a fair price?

think there is something deffinatly not right here.

contacted solicitor and they say unless it is stated in the contract he can not charge more and to file court proceedings if he still refuses.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi, I am currently renting a 1 bed flat with my fiancee and we have just recieved our first bill from the landlord (he writes his own) as he says the bill goes to him but all the flats are on sepereate meters.

The problem is that for 3 weeks he wants us to pay £76, we are on economy 7 and the 2 storage heaters that we have are on low (3 in 2 out) and have been checked to be working corectly i.e. times.

I think this is high and looking at what he is saying,the units are charged at dont really match up to what are the averages for night usage online, he is saying its 8p on a night per unit and 12p unit through day, but on line it says about 4.5 - 5p is average rate also he is charging the flat downsttairs 7p per unit on night rate and 11p day rate, so this concerns me and I think that he migh be lining his own pockets.

I have asked him for the itemised bill from the supplier, but I think he will try to flog us off like he did with another tennant. Just wondering what I can do.

Also I contacted the suspected supplier and they have told me that there is no record of the address on the national grid i.e. not on there system or over elec suppliers systems?

Thanks for any info

Are these separate meters in the flatscoin operated £1.00 or 50p'sThey are covered by this below

Hi,

The most a landlord can charge for electricity is what he has paid.

You landlord can find himself in deep trouble if he is making a profit on it. Keep all your bills as proof as if he is charging more you will have a case against him.

http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Consumers/Pages/Resaleofgasandelectricity.aspx

Or

Are they are utility meters and in the accounts are in LL name

If this is so,put them in your name and then you gets the Bills,LL cant stop you doing this.

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Hi, just found out that he is supplied with commercial elctric for the shops below, but using the same electric to power the flats via seperate meters. also the supplier has told me that the price he is paid per unit are 5.28p night rate and 8.2p day rate where he is charging us 8p night rate 12p day. so again not to sure where we stand with this, solicitor told me not to pay without seeing a itemised bill (still waiting for it) and take him to court, would he be in a lot of trouble if its illegal.

Thanks again

What happesn sometimes is that there is one main meter registered to the building and at a later stage the owner then gets in a private electrician to fit seperate meters for different rooms. The LL gets one bill and should then divide it as per the meter readings. The LL cannot include a daily standing charge or the cost of fitting the meters. As mentioned previously he cannot vary the cost per unit between room/flat/shop and certainly cannot charge more than the original price per unit.

Hi All, thanks for all the advice has been very informative.

I am going to see a solicitor tomorrow at court as he has now sent me a message saying that he is charging us at the new rate he will be getting charged in March + all the vat charges, also he has sent an electrician around to change the times our heaters are on (economy 7) i.e changed them from 12:00 - 7am to the new times of 12:00 - 3:00 am only three hours charging time.

He has also said that he will charge us only £15 a week instead of £25 but still will not give us an itemised bill.

Thanks all

Think of it this way. The main meter which is supplying the other meters will still be on E7 between 3am and 8am and he will be charged at off peak rates by the supplier for consumption during those times. If he then charges you peak rates then he is committing an offence as he is making a distinct policy! You could advise him of this prior to him altering your meter.

Anyway if he goes ahead, from 12am to 3am will not even get your storage heaters warm and by 10am you will have no heat, but by the same token if yoiu don't have proper heat during the day/evening then he may be breaching Health & Safety regulations and then you can nail him on that count anyway. I suggest you phone H & S and check on this aspect as if he goes ahead he will be committing two offences.

If you are paying for the electric he has no right to alter the E7 times. If possible get this alteration in writing from him by stating that as it is not in the lease, he cannot make these sort of changes. Indicate that if you get it in writing you may sign it. Pretend to be a bit thick and willing and once you have it in writing you will have him over a barrel! :-)

Hi again, thanks for the advice.

I have just realised that he was suppose to give us an Energy perfomance certificate, which he has not done.

sounds like he might be in a bit of trouble.