Jump to content

Water leak: within or without my demise?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 334 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

There has been a slight leak from the kitchen sink waste water pipe in my leasehold apartment. It has caused minor damage to the ceiling of the property below.

The managing agent's plumber has managed to identify the leak. It is within the space of my apartment but behind a wood partition that had to be cut away to gain access for inspection (and for eventual repair).

My question is, is the location of the leak witihin my demise (and so I will be liable for the repairs) or is it in common parts? My lease gives no clue.

And advice much appreciated.


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it's within the 'four walls' of your apartment, ie your side of the structural wall? Presumably there was no access to it from anywhere other than your apartment? And the water pipe that leaked was used solely by you as the waste water pipe from your kitchen sink (not a shared waste pipe used by anyone else at the point of the leak)?

If that's the case I can't see how it's 'common parts', it's a leak within your apartment. How difficult it was to get to isn't relevant.

Unless there's anything specific in the lease about it (just spotted you say there isn't) I think it is your leak and you will have to pay the repair cost. Or claim the repair cost on your insurance, although if the leak has just come about gradually over time standard contents insurance probably doesn't cover it unless you have bought a specific extension.

Are you being asked by the owner of the apartment below to pay for their ceiling? That might be covered by the liability section of your household insurance but if it is a very small cost you might prefer to pay for it yourself and not involve your insurers so the owner below does not need to make a formal claim against you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...