Temperature of work place

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4897 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Was wondering if anybody could tell me what the correct situation is with temperature within the work place?

A friend of mine works in a work shop, where they make hand made furniture, which is open space in an old work shop. The building is not very well insulated has one big heater and the employer has been and brought a couple storage heaters for them to use, the workshop is full of stainless steel equipment. This morning my friend and other employees switched on the big heater for bout an hour to warm the workshop up, as it was around 3degrees in there. About an hour ago they had the boss in the workshop telling them that they weren't to switch it on due to a big electric bill they had received. Is there anything that they can do?

Many thanks for any help that can be given

Switch to gas?

There used to be a minimum standard which formed part of the Offices, Shops & Railway Premises Act, but this was retired many years ago and I don't believe there's even a requirement fit a thermometer within the workplace.

Hi siany

Thats not right, I think you should all get together to raise a greviance. You could write a joint letter and all sign it. Try to be as diplomatic as possible.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/temperature.htm

It might be an idea to get a thermometer in there to see what the temperature actually is.

The minimum limit was't 'retired' in normal workplaces, only in certain places. It has to reach a certain temperature after 1/2 hour of operation otherwise you can clear the area until it is the right temperature.

I have seen it invoked three times in my working life, twice in a hospital clinic and once in an office...

Get onto local Trading Standards and they should be able to advise on the current situation.

Downloadable version of the Workplace(Health Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 Approved Code of Practice. (Regulation 7 deals with temperature)

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l24.pdf

enamae

Edited by enamae

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/Ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

It's 16°c or 13°c if strenuous work is undertaken. Furthermore there is a requirement

to have the thermometer with a marking for 16°c. The one's that are fitted at my workplace

have a marking for both and the relevant Legislation which is, The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare)

Regulations 1992 (Part of the European '6 pack').

In workplaces where the minimum temperature cannot be met for whatever reason there

is a requirement to rectify this with additional PPE, however, employers are expected

to comply with the above requirements over and above the need for excessive issue of PPE.

Hope that helps. And yes, I hold the TUC Advanced Certificate in Health and Safety

training, should anyone be thinking of asking!

Edited by diskmandave
Added Legislation