Moorcroft chasing Vodafone bill-am happy to pay Vodafone.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, ive just had a card come through the post, no stamp, asking me to call the moorcroft debt representative. After calling moorcroft ive been told i cant set up a payment plan over the phone but that i have to meet with the said rep in person. Infact he has to come to my house?Could someone please advise me if this is correct practise or if they are doing this just to push me into making larger payments. Please Help!Thanks

There is no reason why Moorcroft cannot set up a payment plan directly.

Their "agent" obviously doesn't want you to do that as it will cut him out of the loop and he won't get commission. So it's in his interest to tell you such nonsense.

Guest Cartaphilus
Hi, ive just had a card come through the post, no stamp, asking me to call the moorcroft debt representative.

After calling moorcroft ive been told i cant set up a payment plan over the phone but that i have to meet with the said rep in person. Infact he has to come to my house? Rubbish, ignore what they have told you. They cannot invite themselves to your home without your permission.

Could someone please advise me if this is correct practise or if they are doing this just to push me into making larger payments.

Please Help!Thanks

First things first, no more contact with Moorcroft by phone. Ignore what they have told you on the phone ... yes, it is all designed to scare you ... they have no powers to visit you at home, none at all ... I will be back in a moment with what to send them. Edited by Cartaphilus

Guest Cartaphilus

Forget what the Moorape said to you, send them this letter (DO NOT SIGN IT print your name) by recorded delivery.

Dear xxxx

Account Ref xxxx

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing. I have noted your repeated attempts to contact me by telephone over the past few weeks/months and these have been duly logged by time and date.

Furthermore, should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.).

Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Yours faithfully,

Now, if we can have some details about this debt, what it is eg loan/credit card/overdraft?

BTW, you can also report them for using that hand delivered card (as you said no stamp was on it) to your local Trading Standards via Consumer Direct; they get a lot of complaints about this kind of debt collection practice. ;)

I really am quite willing to pay it back but when they posted that note and after the guy on the phone wanting to visit me "for a few minutes and needing a signature" i wasnt too keen on going down that road

Just been beaten to it. Exact letter I was going to post.

They should not have pushed a card through the door telling you to ring a debt collector anyone could have got hold of it. In fact your partner may hae got hold of it and may not have known you owed any money.

Get them reported the more people that report things like this the more chance there is of getting it stopped.

DG

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

Guest Cartaphilus
I really am quite willing to pay it back but when they posted that note and after the guy on the phone wanting to visit me "for a few minutes and needing a signature" i wasnt too keen on going down that road
Like I said, they have no rights to visit you at home. If you are more than willing to pay it back as you say, then you will have to negotiate with them in writing and offer them an affordable amount - NOT what they think or you think is reasonable but what you can actually afford per month. However, I would still report that card to Trading Standards, they are usually very interested in knowing what cold callers are potentially operating in their patches.

"for a few minutes and needing a signature"
And for what pray tell, there is no credit agreement attached to a mobile phone contract so I can't quite see why they are asking for a signature of you. However, it is a DCA ... so who knows what they will tell people on the phone and make them believe it.

Guest Cartaphilus
f he doesn't leave just call the police. They sometimes ignore letters because they are stupid.:grin:
No, they just need diagrams that go along with the letters to ensure they understand the wording 'naff off'. :D Maybe, ones with flashing blue lights to indicate what will happen if they don't leave when requested to. ;)

Yes i did :) thank you for your extrememly helpful words. Ive just printed out the letter and hopefully they will recieve it before they turn up again and really push my father over the edge

Guest Cartaphilus

The letters are threats. It's highly unlikely anyone would turn up. If anyone does so, then keep the door closed on them. Don't answer. Treat like any other cold caller or door to door sales person you don't want a bar of when they come knocking or ringing. Or hand them that letter if you want if they do (in the unlikely event) send what they eloquently call 'local representatives'.

To put it another way, 'sling yer hook'.

they will recieve it before they turn up again and really push my father over the edge

So, are you saying they've already been to your house and done this previously?

*waves to guests viewing*

Edited by Cartaphilus

yes they must have done to push the note through the door into the hands of my dad . It was in an envelope marked "private for tanya "

Edited by TanyaS

Guest Cartaphilus
yes they must have done to push the note through the door into the hands of my dad . It was in an envelope marked "private for tanya speck"
Just checking. It could have come through the post also via the postman. Hope that's not your real name you posted there ...

Anyway, there isn't much else that can be suggested, asides from reporting them for using a card in this way.

no its a nickname :)

There was no adress there. Well im going to be away for the weekend so if they do turn up the nicely formed letter is in the hands of a relative to hand over. Ive researched a few things- if you welcome them into your home they visit frequently as they please, is this true? i mean i by no means am going to invite them into the living room for tea but do they have the rights?

If you do decide to pay it just bear this in mind. The chances are they've botched your credit file. If you check your CRA and find it's botched I'd be insisting they remove ALL data re that debt before you agree to pay. They'll tell you they can't but they really can. Why have a dodgey CRA file for 6 years. Everything in writing.

I had Halifax tell me that they were sending a representative to my house to discuss my situation with me and after reading various posts on the forum it became clearly obvious that they cannot do this, they have absolutely no right to step one foot on your property and if they do without your permission then they are trespassing.

I telephoned Halifax and told them that their representative was not welcome and should in no uncertain terms visit my premisses.

I never did get the visit;)

Guest Cartaphilus

Yes, they are purely threats. However, as you will also have read in some posts ... very often they do chance their luck/arms or whatever appendages they use and have shown up. Hence the letter, as it leaves a papertrail for use later on if necessary. ;)

Yes, they are purely threats. However, as you will also have read in some posts ... very often they do chance their luck/arms or whatever appendages they use and have shown up. Hence the letter, as it leaves a papertrail for use later on if necessary. ;)

Agreed, do everything by letter. Unfortunately I wasn't in the best of moods at the time and had not seen the letter immediately.

The letters are threats. It's highly unlikely anyone would turn up. If anyone does so, then keep the door closed on them. Don't answer. Treat like any other cold caller or door to door sales person you don't want a bar of when they come knocking or ringing. Or hand them that letter if you want if they do (in the unlikely event) send what they eloquently call 'local representatives'.

To put it another way, 'sling yer hook'.

So, are you saying they've already been to your house and done this previously?

*waves to guests viewing*

Moorcroft are one of the debt collectors that DO make house calls

if they are at the door then not answering is more likely to alert/worry others in the house (and neighbours) than not answering the door.

further- if you do not answer the door then they will simply assume you are not in and then they will call again

i would suggest that if they DO call- either before or after being told not to- that you should have no fear of answering the door and that by "dealing with them" head on first time you will prevent repeat calls

these are not bailiffs- will not push their way into your house - and will not make threats.

simply politely tell them that you will not at any time discuss the matter in person and that all communication should be in writing only.

In 99% of cases that will do the trick- and it will also serve to show you that there is really nothing to fear from "debt collectors" calling at the house and this experience will empower you.

of course if you are ultra nervous then dont!- get someone else to do it for you

Edited by diddydicky