Aktiv Kapital - Thames Credit - MBNA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4794 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

These barstewards have sent me another letter still offering me 35% discount but they have put the outstanding balance up from £9623.58 to £9650.10!!!!Can they do that? Surely as they are not a bank themselves and I have no agreement with them, they can't do this??? They also state....that any payment I choose to make, that Aktiv will add 20% of their own money towards the debt. lol. What a load of bol**cks. They probably bought the account for a couple of hundred quid. Think I will sit tight on this one and wait to see if the letters get more menacing. Best regards.

If they are adding anything on, they have to state the reasons for this, so that you have a chance of challenging.

You really need to get all the paperwork from both MBNA and Thames Credit. You could make subject access requests from both, so you see the whole history of how this account has been handled. You might then be able to challenge them and any other DCA that follows with a bit more authority.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 1 month later...

Hi, I was receiving a letter every week for 4 weeks from these people. They said they got my address from a public database.

I did not acknowledge the letters in any way and did not contact them. Now not heard anything from them for 6 weeks.......is this good do you think? Or just the calm before the storm?

Best regards, Wafty x

• 3 weeks later...

The adding of interest is a standard trick of aktiv, I had an £1800 debt paid down about £1000, then aktiv added interest to take the debt to over £2500. my crime, I broke my agreement with them by missing a payment, actually I didnt they just refused to take a payment and then claimed it was me!

Thanks for the reply......and I sympathise with you regarding the addition of interest! :x

I still have not heard anything from them since my last post!

I haven't even had to send any requests for original CCA or anything yet.

If they come back again, I will hit them with requests for the documentation, but I feel they were grabbing at straws trying to find me anyway.

Keep your chin up mate and fight the good fight! :-)

Best regards, Wafty

• 3 months later...

Happy New Year Folks!

Would you believe after hearing nothing for the last 4 months, I now get a letter from Buchanan Clark + Wells.

They say they have been instructed by Aktiv Kapital to recover the 'debt'.

Just when I thought this had gone away. Are these people just another DCA helping another or a subsidiary of Aktiv?

Anyone in CAGland know much about this lot?

Best regards, Wafty.

BCW are not just a DCA, they are a rubbish DCA. They make other DCA's look competent.

AK have passed on the debt to BCW, obviously because they were not getting anywhere and couldn't be bothered with it anymore. They would get a share if BCW managed to trick you into paying anything.

If you ignore them, after a couple of months it will go quiet again and it will be back with AK or passed onto anotheer DCA. If you send the CCA request and suggest that there is a history of the account being in dispute, it will just mean the debt gets passed back to AK more quickly.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks Uncle B and Sillygirl. My philosophy is say nothing to them, no contact at all.

Compile a list of things that have been carried out incorrectly and use it if I have to.

Also not sending CCA request until I have to either.

I thought that DCA's could sell debts on? Or is it only the Creditors who can sell it on just once?

Anyway from what I can see it all looks very much like they are chancing there arm in the hope I make contact or send a payment!

If they had real legal claims surely I would have had a knock or court letter? I do owe MBNA from a credit card from years ago,

but am disgusted in the way that they have doubled the debt and the means by which they try and recover monies!

All the best guys, Wafty.

Ahoy Wafty!:wink:

Yeah, I agree with you and in a similar situation. The best thing to happen to your debt is for it to go to a DCA. In agreement with what you say, if the debt is quite substancial (as is mine) then you would think if there was any chance they would win in court then the original creditor would have done so, instead of selling the debt at what is usually peanuts.

I'm just having phone calls at the moment, only one letter from the DCA (Allied Credit in my case) I just don't answer any that are not registered on my phones. When I made the mistake of answering my mobile to them, I said "never heard of him", two mins later, a call to my landline. No calls since.8)

Have a loooook at this! re: BCW :!:

I thought that DCA's could sell debts on? Or is it only the Creditors who can sell it on just once?

I think generally what happens with most creditors is that they own the debt for a few years, using DCA's to chase if necessary. They often have agreements in place for certain DCA's to take control over chasing for the debt and these have to refer back to the creditor if they want to take any court action. Then after a few years has passed, they then sell the debt on for whatever they can get for it. When they actually sell the debt on and a notice of assignment is issued, they can then legally take action in their own right, but then they need the assistance of the creditor to provide copies of CCA's and any relevant correspondence. It is then that the DCA realises that the creditor has stitched them up, as the creditor has lost the paperwork. Most banks/credit card providers have very poor systems of keeping their records in any fashion which enables them to easily access them on request. So they are not going to spend too much time in helping on the DCA. This is why only a fraction of debtors will ever see any court action against them.

Nee bother, Wafty.:wink:

Unclebulgaria, wouldn't you have thought that the DCA's would insist on copies of CCA's before committing to buy? Surely word would get around that MBNA have a bad reputation for not keeping hols of such documents, especially with older agreements.

Anyway, hopefully it's good news for Wafty and myself.

Nee bother, Wafty.:wink:

Unclebulgaria, wouldn't you have thought that the DCA's would insist on copies of CCA's before committing to buy? Surely word would get around that MBNA have a bad reputation for not keeping hols of such documents, especially with older agreements.

Anyway, hopefully it's good news for Wafty and myself.

Do you realise how many MBNA accounts would go into default each year and how many would get passed to DCA's to chase ? I don't know the figures, but I guess that these would run into thousands of accounts. If all of the CCA's and statement information was held on their current systems, in theory it would be easy to run a query to print off all the information required and to pass these to the relevant DCA with other information. But you would have think how long MBNA have been issuing cards in this country, the system changes that have occured, archiving of records and changes in processes/forms in use. It would be a nightmare to provide the information upfront and would cost a fair amount in terms of staff hours to sort all files out. Then there is the issue of giving the game away to DCA's as to the state of records and compliance of forms, which no doubt would cause hassle in terms of the DCA's wanting to see the files to value them before buying.

Yes, I see. I suppose despite not having enforeable CCA's, DCA's also get lucky whilst persuing debtors through shear persistance too, therefore not encountering the issue of none existant or un-enforeceable CCA's.

Thanks UncleB:-D

Maybe it depends on how cheap they buy the debt for. All a numbers game to them.....they know people get scared and succumb to threats

and they know some people know their onions and won't bow to pressure!

Is it me or do a lot of these DCA's try and make their letters look like a law firm has sent it? Buchanan Clark and Wells sure sounds like a law firm to me.

Best regards, Wafty. :-)

• 2 months later...

About 2 years ago, I had all sorts of hassle from Thames Credit, ref a SB alleged debt. They refused to send me any proof of the alleged debt, but continued to hassle me. In the end, I invoiced them at £50 for every letter I had sent and gave them 28 days to pay. I pointed out that any further contact would be taken as acceptance of these charges. Sure enough, I received a letter by return. I then sent a reply offering them easy terms for repayment...no reply. I then sent a final demand...no reply. In for a penny etc, I sent a Letter before Action. No reply since :-) and no further contact from these shysters.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? :razz: