EGG Card debt and resolvecall on my Doorstep - illegal in N.Ireland??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5060 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

i have recently fallen behind with payments on my egg card -

i have tried to make offers of payment which are affordable for me at present but they just kept fobbing me off with 'income and expenditure details' etc.

They then passed the account to Resolvecall who today called at my door without an appointment and when i didn't answer they also called at my neighbours door. They left a calling card at my residence.

I called the man and asked what he wanted - he said he was working on behalf of Egg and needed to discuss my arrears. I asked was it not illegal for him to call without an appointment - he said no. I told him that i would conatct Egg myself and that i fully intended to pay the debt.

I then called Egg who finally agreed to a 6 month reduced payment plan (for more than i could afford mind you) and i told them abaout the doorstep call - thay also maintained that this was not illegal. I explained that i lived in Northern Ireland and that i believed this to be illegal.

Am i right and is there anything i can do about this?

Many thanks

Hi

I explained that i lived in Northern Ireland and that i believed this to be illegal.

Am i right and is there anything i can do about this?

I don't believe it is illegal for them to send a doorstep collector, when you had not told them in advance that you did not wish this to happen. The bit that is against the OFT debt collection rules, is for the Resolvecall person to have called on your neighbour. You could complain about this by calling Consumer Direct.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Also, put a wee note on your door stating , NO COLD CALLERS.

Whereabouts are you from?

The 'calling at neighbours' routine is just another form of intimidation and is specifically to cause you distress.

If it had of been me there would have been a scuffle because even thinking about when he done on you is making me cross.

I'm from the Co. Down coast!

As I said, I've had it happen to me twice!

The first time this eejit in a suit carrying a clipboard came to the back door and caught me off guard.

He opened, "Mr. ***** ",

I said, "aye, who' wants him?"

Him, "I represent Citibank and I'd like to talk to you about your debt".

Me, "talk away", banged and the door in his face!

He slunk off because he knew if he had of chapped the door again I'd him laid him out cold.

The next time a different young dude in a BMW arrived, I just walked outside, turned the hose on and started to spray my car in the driveway.

The eejit was following me, trying to talk to me so I sprayed him with the hose.

He started saying that there was no need for that blah! blah! and I apologised to him about the unfortunate accident and sprayed the car so it reflected off the bonnet and soaked him again.

What pi55ed me off enough to do this was he sat outside our house in his car for a good 30 mins writing in his clipboard and on his mobile.

Obviously this was to intimidate me and so the neighbours would see.

But, in this 30 mins I had time to formulate a plan!

That was it!

They never called again!

Edited by RoyalIrish

This man also sat outside for quite a while before coming to the door - writing in a notebook! Nobody wants to be in debt and this is really unnecessary and upsetting.

Hopefully i won't have another experience - think i'll send the same letter to all of my creditors jsut in case.

Thanks again for all the help!

They are not allowed to call on your neighbours, blatant breach of OFT guidelines on debt collecting. Report them ASAP.

These people don't give a feck about the OFT guidelines!

I'd would advise that you ask for a business card and tell them to leave.

Report them immediately to the police.

This man also sat outside for quite a while before coming to the door - writing in a notebook! Nobody wants to be in debt and this is really unnecessary and upsetting.

Hopefully i won't have another experience - think i'll send the same letter to all of my creditors jsut in case.

Thanks again for all the help!

The sitting outside writing etc. etc. serves 2 purposes.

1. It intimidates you with your neighbours etc.

2. It enables them to suss out if they are likely to get a thumping, ie is there a big bloke there or a german shepherd etc. also they need to get their courage up!

Absolutelt RI - have to say he did back down when i called and said that i would speak to Egg myself - ''shall be just leave it like that then''? he said.

Would rather be unemployed than have to do his job for a living!

How interesting. I lived for a time near a rural town in Antrim, and whilst home visits were threatened they never happened. I always warned those that said they'd call that they would meet with a robust response which would include the PSNI.

One night when a drunk tried to get in to the house we had 7 peelers there within 6 minutes - very impressive for a rural area. I was slightly worried that my reaction, which involved pursuing the individual with something that would make holes in him, would create a difficulty, but the PSNI told me that if someone you don't recognise or aren't expecting comes knocking on your door how am I to know that it isn't a dissident republican who wishes me harm?

So, if they sit outside, call the PSNI and say that you are concerned that the man may be a dicker.

LOL, Debt Collector killed by off duty soldier!

Luckily, I am educated by all the stalwarts on CAG now so debt collectors calling to my door are a thing of the past!

However, because I am still a member of the armed forces and careful about strange men outside my house or at my door there is always a slight possibility that I could mistake them for the 'da boyos' and empty a mag through the door.

Just 'in case' you understand!

LOL!

LOL!

Yeah, I had a run in with Michelle, she's an eejit!

I sent her packing over a disputed debt after she threatened to do a house call.

Apparently it's a ****ty little operation in a room somewhere in Belfast.

Her 'heavy squad' are self employed commission only goons.

CCA egg and send them this letter regarding the caller:

Dear xxxx

Account Ref xxxx

Please be advised I will only communicate with you in writing. I have noted your repeated attempts to contact me by telephone over the past few weeks/months and these have been duly logged by time and date.

Furthermore, should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

If you do not understand this letter, you should seek qualified legal advice

Regards

English Common Law?

Is this applicable in Northern Ireland, Scotland, or even Wales?

• dx100uk changed the title to EGG Card debt and resolvecall on my Doorstep - illegal in N.Ireland??