• Tweets

• Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX 2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all.   Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
    • well post it here as a text in a the msg reply half of it is blanked out. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4462 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, i hope someone can advise me, i recieved a letter today from JBWlink3.gif bailiffs, it states:

Our automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) van has seen your vehicle and instructed an enforcement agent (bailifflink3.gif) to attend, seize and impound it. Once the vehichle has been removed you will have six days to pay. Failure to make payment will result in us selling your vehicle to pay the debt and fees.

The letter had a photograph of my car parked on my driveway which was obviously taken at some point before the letter was sent. They are asking for £395.04... love the 4p lol, which originally started off as a £50.00 parking ticketlink3.gif last may. yes i was silly and forgot all about it.

My question is can they do this if my car is on HP finance. i still have a few years left to pay on the finance so what happens if they take the car, is that like theft or something? I called them and explained that it was on finance but they were not interested and insisted i make half payment this week and half next week to stop action, i asked for more time to pay, like a £100.00 a month for 4 months but they refused...is this letter called a levy, im not sure what to do, i reluctantly agreed to pay them half on friday but with 3 young children and only one low income it looks like we will have no food next week, can anyone advise me please, i cannot understand how the charge is so high when all they have done is sent one letter to me. thanks so much.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no they can't

tell em its on HP.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

send a copy of the finance agreement to the council and JBW by e-mail and recorded delivery letter putting them both on notice that there can be no enforcement action regarding this car as it on finance and

any levy fees/van fees added to your debt should be removed

ask the council to put this finance agreement on record for future reference regarding this matter

ask JBW for a breakdown of fees

thankyou for reply HW...sorry if i sound stupid but what is a levvy fee and do you advise me not to pay them on friday, i am happy to pay the ticket and costs but i didnt think it would be as much as that, I am worried that if i send the finance stuff as toy say then this will take time and they might turn up over the weekend and take my car which i need to get the children to schools etc, should i still pay them and then deal with it or should i not pay and just hope they dont turn up. the woman on the phone said if I dont pay then they will add another £300.00 to the bill and charge daily impound costs. Surely when I told her that my car is on HP, she should have asked for the finance agreement, by the way the finance is with welcome finance, iv seen so much on here about them too, not sure if I should pay or not tho, what do you think, im worried as I cant afford for the amount to be doubled, then I will be in a right mess and could never pay that sort of money, thanks for your help

this why you should NEVER talk to these fleecers on the phone.

they will say anything to make you pay and extort fraudulant fees off of you.

simple fact is they cannot take the car, show them the finance agreement should they show up.

you need to get a screenshot from them.

if you can pay 'something' pay the council direct.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thankyou for reply HW...sorry if i sound stupid but what is a Levy fee

before a bailiff can remove goods (the car) they must levy it first this is done on a Notice of seizure of goods and inventory and a levy fee is charged for this action (obviously you haven't had one of these)

and do you advise me not to pay them on Friday,

That i cant advise you on

i am happy to pay the ticket and costs but i didn't think it would be as much as that,

the fees seem rather high for a £50 parking ticket (but I'm not an expert on paring tickets fees)

I am worried that if i send the finance stuff as toy say then this will take time and they might turn up over the weekend and take my car

cant you scan it and send it by e-mail first

which i need to get the children to schools etc, should i still pay them and then deal with it or should i not pay and just hope they don't turn up.

again this has to be your decision

the woman on the phone said if I don't pay then they will add another £300.00 to the bill and charge daily impound costs. Surely when I told her that my car is on HP, she should have asked for the finance agreement,

yes she should have but by telling you that they can remove it and add more fees they hope you just pay up and go away

by the way the finance is with welcome finance, iv seen so much on here about them too, not sure if I should pay or not tho, what do you think, I'm worried as I cant afford for the amount to be doubled, then I will be in a right mess and could never pay that sort of money, thanks for your help

as i said I'm not great with bailiff fees for parking tickets but i do think you have been well overcharged

hopefully someone will come along with more advice regarding the fee they can charge

thanks DX... i called the council and they said its nothing to do with them, out of their hands now and i have to deal with bailiffs from now on, i agree they are all fraudsters but im worried they will just turn up and take it, the letter states they can come anytime from 6am and 9pm and remove it. Oh gosh im so confused what to do now, im so grateful for the advice but im scared they will just turn up and take it while we are asleep, i wont have the chance to show the bailiff the finance agreement, if i send it to them im gonna be sitting here worrying that they havnt seen it before just turning up. iv read other posts where they have done this, oh god not sure what to do. Hallow, i called council but not interested in finance, thanks so much both for advice

i told them it was on HP and the woman said it makes no difference

The moon is made of green cheese - sorry to be facetious but the Bailiffs are all accomplished liars, cheats & thieves - never believe anything they tell you. Only speak to them on the phone if you can record the call. Like some others I'm not great with these fees but if you can afford to then I suggest pay them first - takes all the pressure off - then look at leisure at what you have been charged and maybe recover any unlawful charges.

At present I would also argue the charges are high as you have never had a visit just a letter. A spin around the streets with a ANPR system cannot constitute a visit. If they then add extra visit fees then yes the total will increase rapidly.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hi, i hope someone can advise me, i recieved a letter today from JBWlink3.gif bailiffs, it states:

Our automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) van has seen your vehicle and instructed an enforcement agent (bailifflink3.gif) to attend, seize and impound it. Once the vehichle has been removed you will have six days to pay. Failure to make payment will result in us selling your vehicle to pay the debt and fees.

The letter had a photograph of my car parked on my driveway which was obviously taken at some point before the letter was sent. They are asking for £395.04... love the 4p lol, which originally started off as a £50.00 parking ticketlink3.gif last may. yes i was silly and forgot all about it.

My question is can they do this if my car is on HP finance. i still have a few years left to pay on the finance so what happens if they take the car, is that like theft or something? I called them and explained that it was on finance but they were not interested and insisted i make half payment this week and half next week to stop action, i asked for more time to pay, like a £100.00 a month for 4 months but they refused...is this letter called a levy, im not sure what to do, i reluctantly agreed to pay them half on friday but with 3 young children and only one low income it looks like we will have no food next week, can anyone advise me please, i cannot understand how the charge is so high when all they have done is sent one letter to me. thanks so much.

If a vehicle is subject to hire purchase then it is NOT yours and you do not have TITLE to it.

A bailiff must NOT seize goods that he cannot sell and therefore....if he cannot sell it he mustn't seize it.

If a bailiff clamps or removes a vehicle in the full knowledge that he cannot sell it, then he could find himself being accused of using your car as.......

.....A form of RANSOM !!

CLEARLY the bailiff has NOT therefore "seized" your vehicle.

In that case please take note of the following:

If a debt is paid , WITHOUT the costs ....BEFORE seizure has occured.... then the bailiffs right to distrain on goods CEASES (Bennett v Bayes 1860) and it would be ILLEGAL for the bailiff to levy upon goods (in your case your vehicle) for the bailiffs costs !!!

This was also CONFIRMED by the Judge in the recent case of JBWlink3.gif Ltd (certificated bailiffs) V City of Westminster, and he went even further by saving that a bailiff cannot instigate legal proceedings against the debtor for his fees alone.

However, the bailiff is entitled to his fees and in cases such as this, he must look to the Local Authority and the debtor is not under any personal liability for them.

The above is most certainly applicable to the enforcement of unpaid parking tickets.

To CONFIRM, the amount that should be paid is the amount on the Warrant of Execution.

The above is correct but it is NOT quite so simple. This is because, bailiff companies know very well that the above is legal and for this reason the bailiff will REFUSE to accept payment. You could try the council but they will almost certainly say that the debt is with the bailiff and they will not get involved.

If you are able to, then you can pay online and ENSURE that you WRITE to the bailiff company to state that payment has been made in full to satisfy the warrant of execution before seizure of your goods and that you now consider that the matter should be withdrawn.

just thought id add how i find it quite strange that they say that their ANPR van has seen my vehicle because the photograph had to be taken by someone in person in front of my front door, the photograph is of the front bonnet of the car, the car front is parked up to my front door so theres no way a van could have driven up my tiny side pathway and taken a picture of the front of my car, lol,it had to be taken by someone on foot who stood with a camera taking the shot. im sure they tell lies obviously eh ...thanks again all.

if the removal and consequent sale of your vehicle was deemed to be valuable enough to clear the remainder of your finance, as well as enough to clear the costs and pcn - then your vehicle could be removed.

this is the information i was given when i wrote a letter of complaint to the bailiffs/company who clamped my car and i had to to pay, this came from someone who is supposed to be in the association of civil enforcement agencies.

None of the beliefs held by "Freemen on the land" have ever been supported by any judgments or verdicts in any criminal or civil court cases.

well they would say that!

dx

and they

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

HP - The HP company own the car, you 'hire' it, then buy it for a final payment. ONLY the HP company can authorize the transfer of ownership.

While you are making the payments as per the agreement i believe they are bound to offer YOU and only YOU (the hirer) the option to buy on the final payment.

I'm not aware of any mechanism for the car to pass from the HP company to the bailiff whilst you keep to the terms of the HP agreement.

Even if YOU agreed to hand it over to the bailiff, i believe you are committing an offense by selling (stealing) someone else's car.

Finance - You own the car, but the loan is secured against the car. If the loan is not paid off, the car can be recovered - regardless of who owns it, hence the need to be vigilant when buying a car.

I think it was the ever popular HCE who pointed out that in some cases bailiffs will pay off the finance (not HP) then auction the car.

Edited by Thegreenpimpernel

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

HP - The HP company own the car, you 'hire' it, then buy it for a final payment. ONLY the HP company can authorize the transfer of ownership.

While you are making the payments as per the agreement i believe they are bound to offer YOU and only YOU (the hirer) the option to buy on the final payment.

I'm not aware of any mechanism for the car to pass from the HP company to the bailiff whilst you keep to the terms of the HP agreement.

Even if YOU agreed to hand it over to the bailiff, i believe you are committing an offense by selling (stealing) someone else's car.

The HP company are only interested in the payments. If the car is worth 5K and you only have 2 payments left to make the HP company will allow the car to be seized and sold as long as they receive their last 2 payments. However if the same car is still worth 5K and you still have 48 payments to go then it will be a different story as whatever it realises won't pay the debt off.

Finance - You own the car, but the loan is secured against the car. If the loan is not paid off, the car can be recovered - regardless of who owns it, hence the need to be vigilant when buying a car.

I think it was the ever popular HCE who pointed out that in some cases bailiffs will pay off the finance (not HP) then auction the car.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PT

I'm sure that happens, but has it been tested in court?

I'm pretty sure my HP company contractually owes me a car if I (the hirer) make the final payment.

I can't see anything in the agreement that implies they can sell it to someone else.

Think about what you usually pay with HP - a fixed monthly payment, with the first payment there is usually some form of documentation fee and with the final payment an "option to purchase fee". In broad terms HP is like a secured loan only secured on the goods you are buying and as said previously the HP company are only concerned about getting their money back regardless of who pays.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree, but i'd love to see a legal ruling.

My point is that the hirer could have a case to say that:

he and the HP company have a contract. When the payments as per the contract have been made - where is the car you owe me?

I don't give a toss who else you have given / sold a car to, WE have a contract - YOU have the money - where is MY car?

The bailiff has YOUR car.

Where is mine?

Not the language you would use in court but you see what i mean?

i told them it was on HP and the woman said it makes no difference

Capture it on tape or better still, on camera with the car in the background.

The woman - is she is a bailiff - has made a false representation to their powers, commits an offence >>

logically, i would also think this applies to a loan where the vehicle is either named in the agreement or it is obvious that it was a loan to finance the purchase of a car.

dx

and they