• Tweets

• Please see my comments on your post in red
    • Thanks for your reply, I have another 3 weeks before the notice ends. I'm also concerned because the property has detoriated since I've been here due to mould, damp and rusting (which I've never seen in a property before) rusty hinges and other damage to the front door caused by damp and mould, I'm concerned they could try and charge me for damages? As long as you've documented and reported this previously you'll have a right to challenge any costs. There was no inventory when I moved in, I also didn't have to pay a deposit. Do an inventory when you move out as proof of the property's condition as you leave it. I've also been told that if I leave before a possession order is given I would be deemed intentionally homeless, is this true? If you leave, yes. However, Your local council has a legal obligation to ensure you won't be left homeless as soon as you get the notice. As stated before, you don't have to leave when the notice expires if you haven't got somewhere else to go. Just keep paying your rent as normal. Your tenancy doesn't legally end until a possession warrant is executed against you or you leave and hand the keys back. My daughter doesn't live with me, I'd likely have medical priority as I have health issues and I'm on pip etc. Contact the council and make them aware then.      
    • extension? you mean enforcement. after 6yrs its very rare for a judge to allow enforcement. it wont have been sold on, just passed around the various differing trading names the claimant uses.    
    • You believe you have cast iron evidence. However, all they’d have to do to oppose a request for summary judgment is to say “we will be putting forward our own evidence and the evidence from both parties needs to be heard and assessed by a judge” : the bar for summary judgment is set quite high! You believe they don't have evidence but that on its own doesn't mean they wouldn't try! so, its a high risk strategy that leaves you on the hook for their costs if it doesn't work. Let the usual process play out.
    • Ok, I don't necessarily want to re-open my old thread but I've seen a number of such threads with regards to CCJ's and want to ask a fairly general consensus on the subject. My original CCJ is 7 years old now and has had 2/3 owners for the debt over the years since with varying level of contact.  Up to last summer they had attempted a charging order on a shared mortgage I'm named on which I defended that action and tried to negotiate with them to the point they withdrew the charging order application pending negotiations which we never came to an agreement over.  However, after a number of communication I heard nothing back since last Autumn barring an annual generic statement early this year despite multiple messages to them since at the time.  at a loss as to why the sudden loss of response from them. Then something came through from this site at random yesterday whilst out that I can't find now with regards to CCJ's to read over again.  Now here is the thing, I get how CCJ's don't expire as such, but I've been reading through threads and Google since this morning and a little confused.  CCJ's don't expire but can be effectively statute barred after 6 years (when in my case was just before I last heard of the creditor) if they are neither enforced in that time or they apply to the court within the 6 years of issue to extend the CCJ and that after 6 years they can't really without great difficulty or explanation apply for a CCJ extension after of the original CCJ?.  Is this actually correct as I've read various sources on Google and threads that suggest there is something to this?.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Little old me V HSBC - Claim form now received

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4987 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Very good letter LTP , puts them firmly on the spot :-)

I've done a proof-read for you and changed a small bit here and there ........... hope you find this OK

I will also keep a copy of this for future use to help others if you're OK with that ?

Thanks for the proof read Johnny, I am glad that someone helped with the syntax as well!

I am more than happy for anyone to keep a copy and that it could help others, Patricia Pearl's book was very helpful, the maroon one been advertised here.

“We believe Capital One Law takes privilege over UK Law” – Sven Lagerberg – Capital One.

-----------------

By supplying ALL the documents WILL NOT answer your questions but by supplying a SELECTIVE few will. – Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Separate requests with a fee should be made to ALL relevant Data Controllers in an organisation. - Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Our t&c's overrides ICO guidelines when reporting to CRA's - Karon A Bullock - Capital One

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there! well turn up for the books, had a set of court papers through the door today!! So sort of expected it but hoped they never came sort of thing! Well DG have ignored my cpr request and filed for the full amount straight away!!! Can someone now please please guide me on my next bit as to which form to fill out should i contest the amount on the back of the faulty DN and the Termination on the back of that or just give in and put in what i can afford to which they'll ignore??? So any advice would be greatly appreciated at this moment.. Thanks in advance...

Hi Bilious, only you can decide if you are to defend or not, if you choose to defend then you need to acknowledge service of the claim online and that'll give you more time for your defence.

Either way I'll move this thread to the legal forum for some more advice.

S.

Thanks shadow, what i meant to say was if i defend on the basis of their invalid DN and the termination thereof and my accepting their unlawful recession are my chances nil with a court or is it going to be 50 - 50 either way? because what i can offer to pay would take 15yrs to pay off that amount and i doubt if they would accept that? even if the court do i simply can't afford it am in the cak i believe!!

Thanks shadow, what i meant to say was if i defend on the basis of their invalid DN and the termination thereof and my accepting their unlawful recession are my chances nil with a court or is it going to be 50 - 50 either way? because what i can offer to pay would take 15yrs to pay off that amount and i doubt if they would accept that? even if the court do i simply can't afford it am in the cak i believe!!

Ok, the odds all depend on a) Your presentation b) The facts and c) The judge of the day.

As to repayment amounts IF you lose then IMO its a case of taking an I&E with you to show the judge your willing to repay if he rules against you BUT at a sensible rate as you can obviously pay no more.

Now to business in hand.... Decide if youre going to defend or make an offer or just accept judgement against you.

1) If defending then acknowledge service at MCOL website

2) Post up the particulars of claim (edited ~ remove exact amount and names/case refs/account refs etc) and then people can start to advise on how to formulate the CPR 31.14 requests etc.

S.

As you've received a court claim, IMO Yes its too late.[clarification: your creditors have had the expense of starting court action, it is possible they could push on regardless... depends on how your asset situation is I suppose]

Its either come to an arrangement with the opposing solicitor to stop court action and pay in installments (if they allow this, its not a given) or defend the claim and get them to have to prove the debt. If you felt the default notice was defective and it is than that is a defence to the claim.

S.

Edited by the_shadow

Well dg aren't going to accept what i can pay as they've turned down everything (hsbc.) that is so may have to leave it up to the court then hope some others can shed some light too? As for the dn it's on this thread somewhere if you'd care to have a look for me!

Well dg aren't going to accept what i can pay as they've turned down everything (hsbc.) that is so may have to leave it up to the court then hope some others can shed some light too? As for the dn it's on this thread somewhere if you'd care to have a look for me!

Right ok, havent looked at the CCA but I see Vint's commented on it and stated it would prob meet s78 request but not court, we need to see the original and to see that we need to send off a CPR 31.14 request if its mentioned in the particulars of claim, you'll have to post them up as advised if you want a proper cpr 31.14 letter constructed.

As to the default, yep its giving you less statutory notice than required, there is a slight possibility they'll use an amex court case American Express vs Brandon to counter the DN issue, although you can differentiate your case from that one as you clearly are in default.

S.

Right have uploaded both claim forms for u all to look at here's the hsbc one

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae289/tuvelpit69/hsbcccj.jpg

1. my questions are if you'll help me on this if i do say yes i owe the money. but i can only afford 35 pounds a month which will mean i'll be realistically dead before its paid off!!! hsbc aren't going to accept this?

2. if the court says okay thats all you can afford are mbna then going to try to get a charging order on my home? (shared ownership, not much if any equity.)

3. are they going to sell the debt on and it starts all over again with debt collectors?

4. what happens after 6 years when it's supposed to be removed from my credit file?

5. seems they still want to charge me interest on the debt thus it'll never be paid off will the court allow that???

Can't think of anything else at the moment but will post more questions if i think of any?? Hope you can help guys bit panicked at the moment..

Sorry the above should be hsbc couldn't edit it for some reason...

You could fight it on the basis of the invalid DN, there are some very good example defences (from this site) which I can post. If successful, they will only be able to claim the arrears but then you can counterclaim for the damages. That is only if you want to fight it. If you fight it and loose, then you can make offers of payments.

Cannot remember, was there PPI on the card?

“We believe Capital One Law takes privilege over UK Law” – Sven Lagerberg – Capital One.

-----------------

By supplying ALL the documents WILL NOT answer your questions but by supplying a SELECTIVE few will. – Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Separate requests with a fee should be made to ALL relevant Data Controllers in an organisation. - Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Our t&c's overrides ICO guidelines when reporting to CRA's - Karon A Bullock - Capital One

5. seems they still want to charge me interest on the debt thus it'll never be paid off will the court allow that???

What they are charging is statutory interest. They are allowed 8% only if they are successful and the court allowed it. They can only charge it up to the date should they get a judgement or when you arrange payment.

Off course, you can hit them hard with their failure to comply with the pre-action protocols!

-----------------

------------------

------------------

yes there was ppi on the card they canceled it after the first time i missed a payment... What about the rest of my questions not sure i'd be any good in court by myself lol...

Did you claim back teh PPI? It is never too late to start, the fact that they cancelled it is of no relevance, and these actions take a long time, you could have it refunded before this will come to a hearing.

I am not sure about the other questions. I do not think this will be sold on if it actually reached a hearing, it will be one outcome or the other.

Even if you do decide to defend it, it is not a given that it will actually reach a court hearing. You made offers and they refused it, this must have a significant bearing on how the court will look at this case but there is another significant point. The courts now do place a significant emphasis on mediation, there will come a point that they will ask you do you want to go down that route and you can select it. If they decline it, they will need a very good explanation why and they will be hard press not to do it. This is an informal discussion that not necessary have to be face to face and there you can make your point that you can only afford a certain amount. IMHO they will have to do to mediation and they will have to accept what you offer. Someone with more experience can shed more light on it but I am sure that is the way you can force it to go, should you choose to.

Should you reach an acceptable agreement here, then it will not go to court, you will not get a judgement and the default will fall off six years after the date it has been added to your credit report.

Everyone is different but I would address it by going full out with a defence based on their flawed DN and let them respond. Depending on their response you can go to mediation and get it resolved there.

-----------------

------------------

------------------

Thanks biggest problem is all the offers i made were over the phone which some even laughed at, (and i can bet if it went to court which it must be as they've sent me the claim forms thought it would be a very quick process now?) that they wouldn't be able to "find" that relevant tape even the one where the chap told me to buy less food for my family...Which is at the point i stopped talking to them... and asked for letters only which consisted of the usual threats...

Thanks biggest problem is all the offers i made were over the phone which some even laughed at, (and i can bet if it went to court which it must be as they've sent me the claim forms thought it would be a very quick process now?) that they wouldn't be able to "find" that relevant tape even the one where the chap told me to buy less food for my family...Which is at the point i stopped talking to them... and asked for letters only which consisted of the usual threats...

Well you can always write to the solicitors and made the same offer, it is not too late. If this is all you can afford and they refused it, then what are they going to tell a judge when he award the same amount to them which they refused earlier? Therefore, if you do not feel you want to take this on, write to the sorry sols with an offer and make it VERY clear to them it is all you can afford and that you believe should this go to court, then this is what the judge will award.

As I mentioned earlier, if they refused then you raise it again at Mediation, they simply cannot refuse it.

-----------------

------------------

------------------

Just feels like theres not much chance of me winning even with the faulty dn and their termination of the the account, so what happens if i say yes i do owe the amount to the court and this is all i can afford? any ideas please as i'm on quite a tight time frame now and don't want to make the wrong choice lol...

Just feels like theres not much chance of me winning even with the faulty dn and their termination of the the account, so what happens if i say yes i do owe the amount to the court and this is all i can afford? any ideas please as i'm on quite a tight time frame now and don't want to make the wrong choice lol...

I would think you will benefit by getting a proper I&E together. You must include ALL relevant things, you are allowed for savings for a holiday, Christmas spending, etc. A good place is CCCS webste:

https://debtremedy.cccs.co.uk/QuickAssessment.aspx

By having that and presenting it when needed, you will get the best sustainable solution.

Remember, if you admit the debt, you will get a judgement and a CCJ will be registered against your name. The 6 year clock will start again andI am a bit unsure whether it will fall off after 6 years or whether it needs to be satisfied first. Maybe someone else can comment on that?

Which part of the country do you live in? You can let me know via a PM.

-----------------

------------------

------------------

Hi LTP not worried about the ccj's past caring about all that at the moment my worry is if i can only afford say 30 per creditor per month ( 4 creditors only behind with 2 hsbc and mbna, but may have to go down the same route with the other 2 i'm okay with, as their minimum payments total 160 per month...)what if the court look at my I&E and say i can afford 200 per month which i can't not with all overtime gone and wife on pt hrs now if i cant afford that then thats a default on my ccj isn't it then the court can go to town on me so-to speak..plus if they accept i pay each creditor 30 quid a month it'll never ever be paid off in 6yrs what happens then is my point! Can anyone shed light on this please getting bit panicky now..

Responding to your S.O.S.

your claim form was issued on 22 September so you have until 25th October to submit a defence. If you are going to defend.

You must acknowledge service by 10th October at the very latest.

Date of issue + 5 days for service

+ 14 days to acknowledge

+14 days to submit defence.

33 days from date of issue.

IF you are going to defend then you will need to send a CPR31.14 letter immediately, to the solicitors. You need to obtain any paperwork that has been mentioned in the POC ie the agreement and default notice. Unless you have copies and you are able to defend on what you have.

You will find a CPR31.14 draft in the link below. You will need to amend it to suit your own circumstances.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?159445-Getting-Them-To-Reveal-Their-Vitals.-Using-CPR-31.14-to-Your-Advantage

Also have a read of the following thread regarding CPR

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?255329-CPR-part-18-vs-CPR-31.14-Confused-well-read-here

If you are NOT going to defend then you are going to have to prepare and I&E form. You must do it correctly, you cannot offer HSBC a figure plucked out the air. You must list your debts, find out how much money is left over from essential and priority expenditure ie mortgage, utlity bills, council tax etc. What is left over "disposable" income should be shared between your creditors on a percentage basis.

If I recall correctly your creditors are in order of amount owed..

MBNA = 11K

HSBC = 9K

B/Card = 4k

PayPal = 1k

Therefore, MBNA would get the larger slice of whatever is left, HSBC is 2nd in order of priority.

I believe you were given a link to an I & E form earlier in the thead, but National Debtline has a good form that you could use. They may even give you some help in preparing it.

IF you are going to defend, then all I can see is that the DN is faulty in that you werent given the full 14 days. Did you keep the envelope it came in ?

I am unable to comment on the Agreement.

From the date of the DN you should have been allowed 2 working days - 1st class post or 4 working days for 2nd class post or UK Mail/TNT.

Also, if you are going to defence then HSBC are not entitled to s69 interest on an agreement that is regulated under the CCA1974

The Claimant pleads that this claim concerns an agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act, 1974. However, the Claimant claims interest pursuant to section 69 of the County Courts Act, 1984 which the Claimant should surely know they are not entitled to by virtue of the County Courts (Interest on Judgment Debts) Order, 1991 (SI 1991 No. 1184 (L. 12)) in particular section 2(3)(a), which clearly prohibits such an award:

· The general rule

2(3) Interest shall not be payable under this Order where the relevant judgment - (a) is given in proceedings to recover money due under an agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974;

HTH

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Did I also see that you have PPI that might have been mis sold ?

If so, then you should make a spreadsheet using your statements and calculate how much PPI has been paid and ask for it back. If it has been mis sold or you were co-erced into taking it, this could make the agreement invalid.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Were there 2 pages to the Default Notice. Because it looks like something is missing. There should be a statement about asking the court for time to pay, etc, etc. Similar to the statement on your MBNA Default Notice.

BCOBS

oh i was definitely co-erced into the ppi but how on earth am i supposed to prove that!!! remember her saying "oh you should have this and that just in case, better to be safe than sorry etc!!" my other point is i'm not behind with my other two cards so what do i do about them? will not be able to afford whatever their minimum is going to be on top of whatever the court says i have to pay? and no it was just one sheet with the dn the other side page two is just signature, then they terminated the agreement on the hsbc one by asking for the full amount...but even if i try and defend on those (plus i sent cpr letter which they ignored..)i'm probably still going to lose as the courts still seem to favour the banks over little old us anyday...

Edited by bilious

oh i was definitely co-erced into the ppi but how on earth am i supposed to prove that!!! .

We can help you putting together an argument. Also, you can claim back interest as well as interest over charged. It adds up to a significant amount. You can also claim the 8% statutory interest if this ends up in court but I believe you cannot counterclaim the PPI now? Someone has some thoughts on it?

It gets better!! If you can show that the theft charges is a direct result of the PPI, then they have to refund it, with interest and again, interest over charged.

The PPI, interest and charges are all on the FOS website, the moment they agree that it was mis-sold they will have to refund these. If they refused to refund and the FOS find in your favour, the FOS will tell them to pay you a few hundred quid for your effort!!

Claiming back PPI is worthwhile!!

-----------------

------------------

------------------