You Can't Complain If You Don't Vote

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5100 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we get to see the effects of Brown's treachery over the EU Constitution and referendum that never was: Taxpayers face £13 billion bailout after Alistair Darling caves in - Telegraph

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

And this is the results that go with that

Votes.jpg

Notice lib dem lost seats, but got a higher percentage of votes!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Which in some senses comes back to one of my initial hypotheses that a refusal to vote can often be as a direct result of rejecting the entire, and deeply flawed, electoral system, rather than a refusal to vote because you simply don't fancy any of the applicants or are apathetic about the whole process.

As to change and the likelihood of anything close to a truly democratic solution being brought into UK politics, I'm not hopeful...

PR you can see why the T's don't want it!

True, but neither do Labour.

Both sides in our two-party system have a vested interest in pursuing and maintaining a one-party majority in government, and anything - such as Proportional Representation - that threatens to dilute that system is a direct threat to their executive power.

Well Mr C wanted change so now he may get it before his very eyes, as the people become more aware of PR they will make up their minds as to what is the best way forward. In some sort of extraordinary way the people have made a statement in this General Election unpresidented in it's message. As the young people are saying 'the old school' system needs an overhaul.

Labour, may go along with the Proportional Representation idea at this point in time but they will not carry it through!

I was thinking exactly the same about the tories :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I was thinking exactly the same about the tories :p

The sensible way would be to have a referendum on PR!

I don't disagree that the system needs reforming.

However, this is something that the people need to decide themselves and not a corrupt government.

GB, promised the British people a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty!

But we were not asked?

As I suspected AC. Only someone with a vested interest would defend the incestuous Tories ;)

What!?

People like me are just sick of platitudes and promises.

Because we have seen and heard it all before.

Incidentally, the 'Grey Vote' consists of people over 55 years of age.

Well Mr C wanted change so now he may get it before his very eyes, as the people become more aware of PR they will make up their minds as to what is the best way forward. In some sort of extraordinary way the people have made a statement in this General Election unpresidented in it's message. As the young people are saying 'the old school' system needs an overhaul.

I wonder if the newspapers will be positive or negative on this! Unbiased and informative would be nice.

Conservative

Seats 306

Gain 100

Loss 3

Labour

Seats 258

Gain 3

Loss 94

Say's it all methinks!

Yep, it says clearly that you don't seem to understand how the election system works in the UK.

Tip: It doesn't work on the principle that the person with the most votes wins. :rolleyes:

Presumably, the Tories together with some others could block a referendum on PR and anything else a Lab/Lib Dem government tries to do. We're now going to get a taste of what PR will be like if we end up with it. It's chaos at the moment and the bloke who's lost the most seats and effectively been told by the electorate to pack his bags is still running the show.

We live in interesting times. Looks like I'll have to put the champers on hold for Brown's departure for a while, but at least he's going. Or is he?!!

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

Yep, it says clearly that you don't seem to understand how the election system works in the UK.

Tip: It doesn't work on the principle that the person with the most votes wins. :rolleyes:

That's true but it's also fair to say that Labour has lost an awful lot of support and doesn't deserve to be in office any longer. I know, I know, the Tories didn't win it either. What happens next and what's been happening since Friday is what will happen all of the time under PR, so we'd better get used to it. No more stable Government for the UK. Still, at least Brown's going so we should all be grateful for small mercies.