• Tweets

• Morning dx and thank you for your message.   With regards to your comment about them not needing to produce the deed, the additional directions ordered by the judge included 'a copy of any assignment o the debt or agreement relied upon'  so that is why I thought that point was relevant?
    • Sorry for the long post but I don't want to miss out any relevant information: My wife bought a car from Trade Centre UK and have been having nothing but trouble with it. Unfortunately we paid of the finance used to buy the car as we weren't expecting this much trouble with the car as we we though we would have protection as buying from a dealer. We are wondering if we can still reject the vehicle since the finance plan has been paid off. Timeline is as follows: 13/12/2023 -15/12/2023 Bought car from Trade Centre UK for £10548 £2000 deposit paid on credit card on 13/12/2023 £8548 on finance from Moneybarn (arranged through Trade Centre UK). picked up car on 15/12/2023 Also bought lifetime warranty for £50/month 25/12/2023 Engine Management Light comes on. The AA called out and diagnosed the following error codes: P0133 - Lambda sensor (bank 1, sensor 1) Oxygen Sensor. Error Message : Slow reaction. Error sporadic P0135 - Lambda sensor heat. circ.(bank1,sensor1) Oxygen Sensor. Error Message : Component defective Due to it being Christmas took a few days to get through to them but they booked me in for 28/12/2023 to run their own diagnostics. 28/12/2023 Took car in to Trade Centre so could check the car – They agreed it was the Oxygen Sensor and Booked me in for repair on 30/01/2024. I was told they had no earlier slots, and I would be fine to carry on driving car when I said I was afraid of problem worse. During diagnosing the problem, they reset the Engine Management Light. During drive home light comes back on. 29/12/2023 - 29/01/2024 I carry on driving the car but closer to the date, engine goes to reduced power every now and again – not being a mechanic I presumed that this was due to above fault. 20/01/2024 Not expecting any more problems paid off the finance on the car using personal loan from bank with lower interest rate. 30/01/2024 Trade Centre replace to O2 sensor (They also take it on a roughly 60mile road trip which seems a bit excessive to me – I can’t prove this as something prompted me take a picture of milage when I handed car in but I forgot take one on collection – only remembered next day.) 06/02/2024 Engine goes in reduced power mode again and engine management light comes on – Thinking the Trade centre’s 28 day warranty period was over I booked the car the into local garage for the next day to get problem fixed under the lifetime warranty package. Fault seems to clear after engine was switched off. 07/02/2024 In the Morning, I take it to local garage who say as the light gone off – the warranty company is unlikely to cover the cost of the repair or diagnostics and recommend I contact them when the light comes back on. In the evening the light comes back on and luckily I manage to get it back to the garage just before it shuts for the day. 08/02/2024 The Garage sends me a diagnostics video showing a lot error codes been picked up by their diagnostics machine including codes for Oxygen sensor and Nox Sensors, Accelerator pedal and several more. Video also shows EGR Hose not connected to the intake manifold properly, they believed this was confusing the onboard system as it is unlikely this many sensors would trigger at same the time but they couldn’t be certain until they repaired the hose. 13/02/2024 Finally get the car back as it took a while to get approval and payment for the repairs from the Warranty company. Garage told me to keep an eye the car as errors had cleared with the hose but couldn’t 100% certain that’s what caused the problem. 06/03/2024 Engine management light comes on again. Fed up I go into Trade Centre as I was just around the corner when it happened and asked them how to reject the car or have the problem fixed. They insist that as it’s over 28 days I need to get the car fixed under the warranty package I purchased and they could no longer fix the car as it was over 28 days. When I tried telling them it appeared to be the same or related problem they said they couldn’t help as I hadn’t contacted them earlier. I asked them if they were willing to connect the car to the diagnostics machine and tell me what the problem was, as a goodwill gesture, which he agreed to do and took the car to the back He came back around 30 minutes later and said they took a look at the sensor they replaced previously and there was nothing wrong with it and engine management light went off when they removed the sensor to check it. When I asked what the error code he couldn’t give me an exact fault but the said it one of the problems I told him earlier (Accelerator pedal). I have this visit audio recorded on my phone – I informed the reps I was recording several times. As the light wasn’t on, local garage couldn’t book me for a repair under warranty. 07/03/2024 Light came on so managed to book back into local garage for the 12/03/2024 Whilst waiting to take car into garage, I borrowed a OBD sensor and scanned for errors on the car. This showed the following errors: P11BE – Manufacturer specific code (Google showed this to be NOX sensor) P0133 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Response too Slow 12/03/2024 Took car to local garage and the confirmed the above errors. This leads me to believe that either Trade Centre UK reps lied and just reset the light or just didn’t check properly (Obviously I am unable to prove this) 22/03/2024 Finally got the car back as according to garage, the warranty company took a long to time to pay for the repairs 28/04/2024 Engine management Light has come back on. Using the borrowed OBD scanner I am getting the following codes: P0133 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Response too Slow P2138 - Accelerator Position Sensors (G79) / (G185): Implausible Correlation I have not yet booked into a garage as I wanted to see what my rights are in terms of rejecting the car as to me the faults seem related. I can’t keep using taxi or train to get to work every time the car goes into the garage as it is getting very expensive. Am I right in thinking that they have used up their chance to repair when they conducted the repair end of January or when they refused to repair it in February ? If I am still able to reject the vehicle could you point to any sample letters or emails I can use. Thankyou for your advice on my next steps.
    • Ok noted about the screenshot uploads. In terms of screwing up I had one previous ticket that defaulted and ended up in a CCJ from Southend airport because for some reason during COVID I didn't receive their claim form just a notice of default. This hospital ticket was the 2nd ticket that went to CCJ due to a lack of knowledge of the process. Maybe it's easier just to pay them in future I'm thinking though, I don't get them very often anyway
    • Car maker takes a hit from weakening demand and price war in the world's largest electric vehicle market.View the full article
    • please stop posting up unnecessary unnamed screenshot files  you've done it throughout your threads and we have to renamed them. RENAME THE FILE before you upload if its just text information like a defence or a claim history or a link to a previous post  type it here not by an unnamed screenshot attachment  . sorry NM but you've been here dealing with PPC claims since 2021 somehow you always manage to screw up.......or do totally the opposite of std repeated advice on 10'000 of PPC threads here you are your own worst enemy... dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Domestic & General

askus2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2972 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here is a letter I have written to Domaestic & General. Any thought or feedback would be welcomed.

Dear Sir or should I say Dear Everyone.

I have copied this letter of complaint to Comet, Beko and Hotpoint, in the hope they will see how poor Domestic & General treat customers who have purchased their products (Hotpoint and Beko) or used their stores (Comet)

I have 2 policies

RHC0095030 – Hotpoint Condenser Tumble Dryer

CFQ0003232 – Beko Fridge

First I would like to explain what has happened with RHC0095030 – Hotpoint Condenser Tumble Dryer

We have had issues with this product more or less since the day we purchased it. We have had countless engineers out to fix the tumble dryer. Now the product is nearly 5 years old it has been decided that the item is to be replaced, and I have to pay £70.54 to DomGen for the privilege. This is broken down into 2 payments of 33.54 for the remainder of the policy and £37 Delivery Charge. Here are the main points why this is unfair to the customer

1. I have to pay for 6 months cover even though the policy is being cancelled, if this was car insurance I would be receiving a rebate. I should not have to pay for a service I cannot use.

2. I have to pay for delivery of the item when there are numerous retailers on the internet offering the item with free delivery (Comet website for example) Domestic and General are replacing the item and therefore they should pay the delivery charge

3. DomGen will not offer a cash alternative this means that I have no choice but to allow DomGen to walk all over me with their size 9 boots.

Next is CFQ0003232 – Beko Fridge

This item is now just over the 5 years old DomGen say I have to pay £160.58 for a replacement. I am informed this is 50% of the cost of a new item, plus delivery plus the remainder of the policy for the rest of the year. Here are the main problems with this offer

1. The replacement item is a different colour to the item it is replacing. The replacement offered is not a like for like item as when I bought the Beko Fridge I paid extra to have a silver one to match the kitchen, and the replacement item is white. Silver ones are available but Comet have sold out and will not offer an alternative

2. I can purchase the item from Dixons.co.uk for £183 with free delivery. If you look at comet website the item is £289.99

3. DomGen insist the item must come from Comet (even though they are more expensive)

4. I have to pay £37 delivery charge even though the item is coming from comet and they offer free delivery

5. I have to pay DomGen for the remainder of the policy even though I am unable to use that policy.

6. DomGen will not offer a cash alternative this means that I have no choice but to allow DomGen to walk all over me with their size 9 boots.

I am extremely angry with Domestic & General as they are holding me to ransom which in my mind is criminal. In times of recession customers keep up with payments for insurance in the belief they will be covered if something goes wrong, but not with Domestic & General. Domestic and General are holding my replacement appliances to ransom until I can pay the ransom money for the items to be returned.

Domestic & General have RUDE advisors (I am talking about you Harpreet) who talk over customer and do not listen to their customer’s questions. They simply HIDE behind terms & conditions.

Domestic & General know that families cannot do without these items and also know that complaints can take weeks or even months to resolve and are EXPECTING most customers to give up, give in and pay the ransom because in these modern times working families need the appliances. This is unfair, unjust and bordering on criminal.

Under the freedom of information and Data Protection Act I am requesting Domestic & General send me every single piece of data they hold about me and my wife including a financial breakdown of every single payment I have made to you so that if this complaint is not resolved to my satisfaction I can commence legal proceedings through the small claims court for a full refund.

I look forward to your quick response in due Course

How can they 'hide' behind T&C's? Surely they are abiding by these? D&D are not particularly cost effective, they never have and no doubt never will be, for the situations you have already outlined - but they have been operating on broadly the same model since I first came across them in 1992.

They have always been the arbiter of what the outcome will be - it is spelt out quite clearly in their terms, and the reason why you don;t get a cash settlement is that the replacement machine you are getting is (most likely) a factory refurb - which they can source at a price much less than providing profit to third parties.

All their terms are covered in their 'welcome' pack and you have 14 days to accept or reject - so unless they do not comply with those terms, you're stuck with their decision, and letters of complaint - much like the phone calls will get the same treatment.

What we do is put the monthly police fee into a savings account (to fund our own repairs outwith guarantee) the fund has never run short, and we've had two holidays out of it so far.

I'm not a fan of these policies either, never seen the benefit of them at all, and they seem very overpriced. retailers love them so because of this. that said, this isn't helping the op much.

I would take the emotion out of the letter, the stuff about it being criminal and the size nine stuff. capitalised words too I think. Won't help, might hinder. the Freedom of Information act doesn't apply to them, delete this.

£70 for a new dryer if the old one is five years old doesn't seem too shabby. if the dryer was £300 new I doubt a court would give you any more than £50, and then you'd have to buy a new one yourself: £250 in the hole. that is unless you could show that the dryer had never effectively worked and it has just taken them five years to sort it. A difficult argument to make I think, but perhaps not impossible. Anyway, my conclusion, take the new dryer for £70.

With the fridge, I think you have an argument about the colour. Not sure about the rest.

I would add a FOS threat in there though. a referral will cost them and I think that FOS might side with you unless there are t's and c's that allow them to change the colour/specification. in any event, the fos threat might be more powerful than the court.

• 6 months later...

Domestic & General are not in breach of any terms and conditions, in my experience these plans have been very good as if you pay for the call out , parts and labour yourself you end up paying more particularly if you have had as many problems as you say you have had. I and several friends have found this to be true and I am one to shop around.

When you purchase any appliance it is subject to at least one year manufacturer's guarantee and you said you have had problems from day 1 now that is not the fault of domestic and general, you should have taken this up with the manufacturer, it was also your choice to insure the appliance and you have 14 days from receipt of documentation to read your terms and conditions...if you don't read them or don't like them but do not exercise your right to cancel then you only have yourself to blame not the company who has honoured it's terms and conditions clearly set out to you in writing. I recommend in future you read paperwork sent to you, you can't agree to it by keeping the plan, expect them to provide with according to your claims many repairs and when you are asked to abide by the t&c's cry wolf and say but you can;t charge me and i shouldn't have to pay...they have provided you with a service if you had so many issues since day 1, you should have exercised common sense and got rid of the appliance buying a new one.

A delivery charge is in fact acceptable many companies online or otherwise charge a delivery charge, and if you speak to the department in charge of replacing the item as I did in the case of my washing machine failing you can actually pick it up from the store yourself. Comet are the store and so they say if there is a delivery charge involved, if you don't like comet charging you delivery pick it up yourself. A court will not award you any kind of compensation as you are not entitled to any from the insurance company they have only stood by there terms and conditions they set out to you from day one. As the previous poster correctly said you need to take the emotion out of your letter it is not professional and actually sound like somebody who is having a temper tantrum because they can't have their own way, in terms of FSA guidelines you have been treated fairly you were given full terms and conditions and it's your responsibility to read them and ensure you are happy with them.

Also you mention about colour of an appliance colour has nothing to do with appliance's ability to function, "an appliance is replaced to the same or similar specification" means similar specification in terms of functionality i.e what it can do not the colour, white , graphite,silver and black can fit with all kitchen colours and decor...it seems to me like you are trying to use this as a way of saying if you don;t give me my own way on point one then i will go along a different line.

A court would find your arguments laughable and a waste of time

not always ours has had regular repairs

breaks down on average once a month or so, never have afforded it without the policy

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Freedom of Information does not apply if you are requesting information from a private organisation - this is done under the Data Protection Act, for which you will need to submit a Subject Access Request and pay the fee of (up to £10) for this.

As for the problems you have with the items, the issue with paying the remainder of the policy year is standard - you say about car insurance, however if you have made a claim, the entire policy for the year falls due - same with policies such as this. With regards to them deeming the item "un-economical to repair", this is in their terms and conditions from the word go, along with the percentage that will be provided based on the age of the item.

Apart from D&G always bearing the brunt of a consumer's anger, I have always found that they do what they say on the tin, except most of the time that's not what we want in an extended warranty!

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

not always ours has had regular repairs

breaks down on average once a month or so, never have afforded it without the policy

I'd be interested in more details, what you bought, how much, what the problems were and when they first happened. Strikes me that something that breaks down every month is not of satisfactory quality.

Its always better to put your premium cost in a bank account and save it for the rainy day rather than paying companies like Domestic & General. You don't have to argue with yourself when you need a replacment plus you get the intrest.

Domestic & General = Waste of time & money.

Not to mention your statutory rights under the sales of goods act protects you for breakdowns which occur due to a manufacturing defect for up to 6 years. Granted the if the item is item is almost 5 years old you may only be part compensated, due to the age of the machine, but this with the premiums you have spent are more than likely greater than the cost of a new machine

A breakdown may not be a manufacturing defect - wear and tear is excluded. There would have to be a provable instance of bad design or components as part of the build. After 5 years this would be up to the consumer to prove, which would be virtually impossible.

I have had Domestic and General gas boiler servicing and repair contract for at least 5 years this includes an Annual service. I have just wasted 2 days waiting for the annual service only to be told that they have made a mistake on the contract and my warm air system annual service is no longer valid. This is appalling service and I have now cancelled, asked for a full refund and am now with British Gas who seem much more efficient.

Perhaps... For 5 months use. But 5 years?

For something like a belt in a washing machine but if say the module or a pcb went pretty safe to say that is no fault of the user. Its not as hard as people think proving the fault was inherent at time of manufacture.

Perhaps... For 5 months use. But 5 years?

True. Teach me to read the post properly. That said, it was said for one of the appliances there were multiple problems, depending on when the first problem arose there might have been a problem. I sometimes think that these policies almost act to dissuade you from making a proper fuss at the right time.

• 2 years later...

Wow these guys really are dodgy!

I recently noticed that I had a DD coming out of my bank for £9.99 pcm.

I googled the ref and found out it was for domestic and general.

I rang them and the it seems that the policy was for a hotpoint dishwasher. I have never owned a hot point dishwasher!

It gets better: The policy was not in mine or my wifes name and not was registered to my current or previous address!

And get this - because I am not the name on the policy, they cant tell me what the name or address on the account is (but they can take my money)!! They say they are investiagting and will get back to me....

I have cancelled the DD through my bank, I know I should have checked my statements more thoroughly in the past but what with starting a new job, long hours a new baby arriving and moving house and city I dont have much time to paw through statements to see if some dodgy company is stealing from me.

I believe this is related to an Indesit (owned by Hotpoint?) washing machine (easy to confuse with a dishwasher I guess) I needed repairing in Jan '12. I remember ringing Indesit and foolishly setting up some kind of extended warranty. I cancelled this and remember this being a major headache in itself. The details escape me as it was a year ago but as far as I remember it was sorted. The washing machine was not worth fixing and I had to get a new one anyway!

So I have paid £130 for a policy that it is NOT in my name, NOT registered to my address, NOT for an appliance I have ever owned but may possibly have been set up in error for a washing machine that that I no longer have!!!

Sorry - basically a bit of a rant, but I was wondering of anyone had had any luck getting stolen money back from these thieves!

Guest Michael Rosen-Domestic and General Brand Manager

Hi , I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem. Please email me on customerhelpatdomesticandgeneral.com. If you know a policy number please give it to me- other wise your name and postcode/address and a contact number, and I'll try to helpThanksMichael

• 2 weeks later...

I am adding to this thread to help any un-suspecting home owner to stay well clear of this appaling service company.

In my personal experience, Domestic and General are operating a so called repair service that it actually nothing less than a [problem].

I agreed to a repair service on the basis that if my boiler couldn't be repaired there'd be nothing to pay.

Well you probably guessed it! .... The engineer needed my boilers instruction manual merely to take the front cover off!!! and then declared he couldn't repair it. Two months later, D&G have instructed a debt collection company to recover payment for the "REPAIR"? Work that one out!

They have done this in spite of the fact that I've called them and written to them twice, confirming that they didn't repair it - but they're simply ignoring everything.

Do yourself a huge favour and stear well clear of this company - they're simply out to [problem] the public.

Hi , I am very sorry to hear that you are having a problem. Please email me on customerhelpatdomesticand general.com with your policy number and a contact number, and I'll try to helpThanksMichael

Hi,

I said I would update this thread regards the issues I was having with the company and my contact with Michael Rossen, the Brand Manager.

I can confirm that common sense has finally prevailed and my issue/complaint has now been dealt with. Mr Rossen contacted me yesterday and I've just received confirmation from customer relations, that my complaint has been resolved - thanks to Mr Rossen.

Hi, Many thanks for your message and I am glad that we have now been able to sort out this issue with youKind regardsMichaelPR & Brand Manager

• 3 months later...

My Hotpoint washer dryer has been faulty since Mar. Appointment 1 - told was bearings, appointment 2 - changed bearing was told it may still be noisy until they bed in, em..April still noisy, called them again, engineer said oh it the bearing in your motor and changed the motor, it may still be noisy while it bedded in....May still noisy, this engineer said he was a 'senior' engineer, thought I might get it sorted this time, he said it was one of the bolt that held the concrete block down that was no longer holding, so he 'cemented' it back in and told me not use machine for a couple hours until it had set, I left it 24 hrs just to make sure...Guess what...still noisy!!! Engineer this time just played with my drum and decided that it was the spider at the back that had broken and ordered a new drum and few other bits, I asked when they would come back and he said office will call you today to organise but should be within a couple of days. I thought this odd as the first engineer that booked the appointment for the bearing top be fitted gave a date and time there and then...should have known he was lying to me. Guess what parts out of stock...fair enough I'm not unreasonable Left it a week, hadn't heard anything so called up at 17:00 to be told by a lady, oh you've called too late for me to chase parts as the parts department closes at 5, call back tomorrow and we can check. So I did this to be told by a man that the parts were in and the earliest appointment was in a weeks time but he would put me on a waiting list. As I needed my washer (dirty husband and 2 kids) I booked the day off work again! Today I waited for my text from the engineer with an eta, didn't arrive, I thought this was strange as they had always provided this the evening before, called the call centre, chose the option for checking when engineer was going to arrive, to be given a recorded message saying they couldn't tell me this info and then engineer would text me and then cut me off-great! Called again but this time chose to speak to someone, who when reading me notes could be heard saying 'em...oh...em..' the parts haven't arrived and it shouldn't have been booked it was now booked for the 12th-when I'm working, when I asked if he could check with the parts dept when the parts were coming in he told me he couldn't do this as they just get 2-3 deliveries per week and get parts when they get them. I said I'd been told before to check this info and he said well it would have been the same person who booked it in wrong, I said it was a woman who said this and a man who made booking! I asked that they deem to be a reasonable time to be without a machine to be told to wait until they call me. When I asked if I could still be waiting 2 months would this be reasonable, to be told "Indesit have the right to offer repair if it can be done" a total fob off! The whole idea of me taking out this plan was so I wouldn't be without my machine for a long period of time. It has been mis-diagnosed since March as the fault has always been the same. I now don't have confidence that the current diagnosis is correct and he just jiggled drum.