M6 speed camera catches 5,500 drivers in five weeks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5177 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC News - M6 speed camera catches 5,500 drivers in five weeks

Yet another money making scheme. Makes the blood boil :mad:

No it's not:-

The camera, on the M6 near Carlisle, was installed to protect workers carrying out repairs and is expected to net £168,000 from fines issued so far.

If people can't heed those signs then tough luck. Rather a motorist having to pay the fine than a dead road worker.

I'd bet that a high percentage of those 5,500 were pinged when the coned off section was empty, and no road crews were working. This has nothing to do with road safety, it's just another stealth tax to keep the overblown infrastructure of the nanny state in employment.

In most other countries, someone would be along with a Lee Enfield .303 to take out those SPECS cameras ... here in the UK we're too ready to put up with this sort of cr4p.

I'd bet that a high percentage of those 5,500 were pinged when the coned off section was empty, and no road crews were working. This has nothing to do with road safety, it's just another stealth tax to keep the overblown infrastructure of the nanny state in employment.

In most other countries, someone would be along with a Lee Enfield .303 to take out those SPECS cameras ... here in the UK we're too ready to put up with this sort of cr4p.

Its hardly 'stealth' when they put up signs warning you of the cameras. If its any type of tax then its a 'voluntary' tax, you make a choice as to speed or not.

The real problem is the money spent on cameras would be better spent on more police as although cash-raising speed cameras can fine a driver a few miles above the speed limit they are unable to spot a dangerous, drunk, uninsured, or an untaxed driver in an unroadworthy or stolen vehicle who is driving under the speed limit.

Personally, I relish the day when cars are made with 'big brother' control over them. When there is a speed limit the car CANNOT go faster.

In the meantime, I say put UP the fines enormously. First speeding offence? £2,500 fine and ban with retest. Try speeding on your test! Second speeding offence? 6 months in jail. 3rd speeding offence, death by hanging.

I wonder how many of these smart mouth whingebags would be complaining about how hard done by they are then.

I have been driving for 31 years. I have a clean licence and always have had. I have never even had a parking ticket. I get there just as quick as everyone else because as they sit at the traffic lights I just roll up behind them, again.

The real problem is the money spent on cameras would be better spent on more police as although cash-raising speed cameras can fine a driver a few miles above the speed limit they are unable to spot a dangerous, drunk, uninsured, or an untaxed driver in an unroadworthy or stolen vehicle who is driving under the speed limit.

I don't think that replacing cameras with police on this type of operation would work. How are they going to measure the speed of the motorists as they drive through these road-works. A couple of coppers with stop watches?

I wonder how many of these tickets were given out in the dead of night when there are no workers around?

Is it safer to speed at night then? I would have thought a changed road layout and low visibility was enough of a reason to slow down workers or no workers.

Personally, I relish the day when cars are made with 'big brother' control over them. When there is a speed limit the car CANNOT go faster.

In the meantime, I say put UP the fines enormously. First speeding offence? £2,500 fine and ban with retest. Try speeding on your test! Second speeding offence? 6 months in jail. 3rd speeding offence, death by hanging.

I wonder how many of these smart mouth whingebags would be complaining about how hard done by they are then.

I have been driving for 31 years. I have a clean licence and always have had. I have never even had a parking ticket. I get there just as quick as everyone else because as they sit at the traffic lights I just roll up behind them, again.

Yawn.....

Should also bring in compulsory retest after 30 years due to the changes in traffic and vehicles over that time. Then the removal of licence for anyone aged over 50 as their abilities will have been impaired by age,

Is it safer to speed at night then? I would have thought a changed road layout and low visibility was enough of a reason to slow down workers or no workers.

The road is normally a 70 when nobody is working on it (no road works). Why should you be given a speeding ticket if you do say 65mph and nobody is working there?

Hee hee Clampingking, you make me chuckle soooooo much. Please tell me more of your crazy stories :D

<----------- If I have helped in any way please click on my scales :p

The road is normally a 70 when nobody is working on it (no road works). Why should you be given a speeding ticket if you do say 65mph and nobody is working there?

Because the speed limit is 50mph is it that hard to understand? Speed limits are laid down by the law its not up to motorists to decide if and when to obey them. I'm sure the motorists that approached the road works at 70 mph in the dark didn't know or care if anyone was working or not before deciding not to slow down.

I can't help feeling that if a motorist approaches these road works; sees big warning signs and a speed limit change enforced by a camera; and they still speed past said camera, then they are too stupid to be allowed to drive on our overcrowded roads.

Because the speed limit is 50mph is it that hard to understand? Speed limits are laid down by the law its not up to motorists to decide if and when to obey them. I'm sure the motorists that approached the road works at 70 mph in the dark didn't know or care if anyone was working or not before deciding not to slow down.

Or what if people notice the signs and then slow down and are constantly watching their speedo, constantly looking out for cameras thus paying less attention to the road, they end up swerving hitting an other driver or DO end up hitting a roadworker?

I'm sure there are other ways to help protect the road workers than just lining the treasury's pocket.

But yet again green_and_mean you come with your helpful and polite attitude. Thanks for that

There is no need to be constantly checking your speedo, if you couldnt stick to the speed limit you wouldnt have past your test and be on the road in the first place. You wont get a ticket for being slightly over, you have to be blatantly speeding.

Ultimatly, the driver is responsible and makes a concious decision as to speed or not, and if they see the sign for the speed, and a sign saying there are cameras, then they deserve all they get.

There is no need to be constantly checking your speedo, if you couldnt stick to the speed limit you wouldnt have past your test and be on the road in the first place. You wont get a ticket for being slightly over, you have to be blatantly speeding.

Ultimatly, the driver is responsible and makes a concious decision as to speed or not, and if they see the sign for the speed, and a sign saying there are cameras, then they deserve all they get.

Your concentration would constantly pulled away from whats in front of you. Plus these tickets are most probably getting issued while there are no workers on the road (albiet at night or maybe even at a weekend or bank holiday).

I do not condone speeding in anyway but this is purely about making money. What we have got with this system is cash hungry quangos with wage bills to pay and plans to implement, and they live on a fine income. Nobody wants to see road workers injured, everyone wants to see these projects executed efficiently, sensibly and with a minimum of risk.

Your concentration would constantly pulled away from whats in front of you. Plus these tickets are most probably getting issued while there are no workers on the road (albiet at night or maybe even at a weekend or bank holiday).

I do not condone speeding in anyway but this is purely about making money. What we have got with this system is cash hungry quangos with wage bills to pay and plans to implement, and they live on a fine income. Nobody wants to see road workers injured, everyone wants to see these projects executed efficiently, sensibly and with a minimum of risk.

I agree with what you have said and agree about the quangos, but you missed and important part, the part about what we have got here should include 'what we have got here is a lot of people who are stupid enough to break the speed limit and contribute to the quangos wage bills'.

Simple solution obey the signs and they won't make money out of it.

And obeying the signs and looking for speed cameras (which WILL happen) means less concentration on the road which could lead in a nasty accident.

Even if it is the dead of night and there are no workers, road works are very dangerous places.

For starters - usually one of the lanes, or all of them are a bit narrower. Sometimes there are little road markings and poor visibility. The route of the road is often dictated by cones which change around depending on the work that has been taking place... therefore the road layout changes very often. There is also the chance of debris in the road.

Another factor is that there is more chance of collisions in road works - i was caught up in one in December ans spoke to the traffic officer who commented that had the cars behind the collision not been doing 50., the accident could have been a lot worse.

If someone drives into a zone clearly marked as a 50 zone and still speeds... they have no reason what so ever to complain about being fined.

I think that it is a very weak argument to say that speed cameras cause drivers to spend too much time looking at the speedo. Alot of people have drivien for many years with speed camera's around and not had any issues. You should not have to look for speed cameras if you are not speeding...

Don't speed - you won't be fined. If you do... tough luck.

Even if it is the dead of night and there are no workers, road works are very dangerous places.

For starters - usually one of the lanes, or all of them are a bit narrower. Sometimes there are little road markings and poor visibility. The route of the road is often dictated by cones which change around depending on the work that has been taking place... therefore the road layout changes very often. There is also the chance of debris in the road.

Another factor is that there is more chance of collisions in road works - i was caught up in one in December ans spoke to the traffic officer who commented that had the cars behind the collision not been doing 50., the accident could have been a lot worse.

If someone drives into a zone clearly marked as a 50 zone and still speeds... they have no reason what so ever to complain about being fined.

I think that it is a very weak argument to say that speed cameras cause drivers to spend too much time looking at the speedo. Alot of people have drivien for many years with speed camera's around and not had any issues. You should not have to look for speed cameras if you are not speeding...

Don't speed - you won't be fined. If you do... tough luck.

I also said I don't condone speeding but there must be other ways to sort it than fine people.

Also search the internet and you may find I have a very strong argument. BUT each to their own eh?

Each to their own indeed. I have heard the arguments about speed cameras being dangerous, but have always thought that it is actually the driver's reactions that make the situation unsafe: i.e. the driver doing 1000mph in a 50 zone suddenly seeing a camera and slamming his brakes on... or conversly the over cautious driver who slows down to 25mph in a 30 zone "just in case"!

There must be other ways yes - but being realistic they will all cost too much money! ;)

While i do agree speed cameras probably are not an ideal replacement to having millions of traffic officers keeping an eye on traffic, i do reject the argument that they are part of some stealth tax... if they are, its the least effective type of 'stealth' i have ever seen.