• Tweets

• S13 (2)The creditor may not exercise the right under paragraph 4 to recover from the keeper any unpaid parking charges specified in the notice to keeper if, within the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which that notice was given, the creditor is given— (a)a statement signed by or on behalf of the vehicle-hire firm to the effect that at the material time the vehicle was hired to a named person under a hire agreement; (b)a copy of the hire agreement; and (c)a copy of a statement of liability signed by the hirer under that hire agreement. As  Arval has complied with the above they cannot be pursued by EC----- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- S14 [1]   the creditor may recover those charges (so far as they remain unpaid) from the hirer. (2)The conditions are that— (a)the creditor has within the relevant period given the hirer a notice in accordance with sub-paragraph (5) (a “notice to hirer”), together with a copy of the documents mentioned in paragraph 13(2) and the notice to keeper; (b)a period of 21 days beginning with the day on which the notice to hirer was given has elapsed;  As ECP did not send copies of the documents to your company and they have given 28 days instead of 21 days they have failed to comply with  the Act so you and your Company are absolved from paying. That is not to say that they won't continue asking to be paid as they do not have the faintest idea how PoFA works. 
    • Euro have got a lot wrong and have failed to comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  According to Section 13 after ECP have written to Arval they should then send a NTH to the Hirer  which they have done.This eliminates Arval from any further pursuit by ECP. When they wrote to your company they should have sent copies of everything that they asked Arval for. This is to prove that your company agree what happened on the day of the breach. If ECP then comply with the Act they are allowed to pursue the hirer. If they fail, to comply they cannot make the hirer pay. They can pursue until they are blue in the face but the Hirer is not lawfully required to pay them and if it went to Court ECP would lose. Your company could say who was driving but the only person that can be pursued is the Hirer, there does not appear to be an extension for a driver to be pursued. Even if there was, because ECP have failed miserably to comply with the Act  they still have no chance of winning in Court. Here are the relevant Hire sections from the Act below.
    • Thank-you FTMDave for your feedback. May I take this opportunity to say that after reading numerous threads to which you are a contributor, I have great admiration for you. You really do go above and beyond in your efforts to help other people. The time you put in to help, in particular with witness statements is incredible. I am also impressed by the way in which you will defer to others with more experience should there be a particular point that you are not 100% clear on and return with answers or advice that you have sought. I wish I had the ability to help others as you do. There is another forum expert that I must also thank for his time and patience answering my questions and allowing me to come to a “penny drops” moment on one particular issue. I believe he has helped me immensely to understand and to strengthen my own case. I shall not mention who it is here at the moment just in case he would rather I didn't but I greatly appreciate the time he took working through that issue with me. I spent 20+ years of working in an industry that rules and regulations had to be strictly adhered to, indeed, exams had to be taken in order that one had to become qualified in those rules and regulations in order to carry out the duties of the post. In a way, such things as PoFA 2012 are rules and regulations that are not completely alien to me. It has been very enjoyable for me to learn these regulations and the law surrounding them. I wish I had found this forum years ago. I admit that perhaps I had been too keen to express my opinions given that I am still in the learning process. After a suitable period in this industry I became Qualified to teach the rules and regulations and I always said to those I taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. If opinions, theories and observations are put forward, discussion can take place and as long as the result is that the student is able to clearly see where they went wrong and got to that moment where the penny drops then that is a valuable learning experience. No matter how experienced one is, there is always something to learn and if I did not know the answer to a question, I would say, I don't know the answer to that question but I will go and find out what the answer is. In any posts I have made, I have stated, “unless I am wrong” or “as far as I can see” awaiting a response telling me what I got wrong, if it was wrong. If I am wrong I am only too happy to admit it and take it as a valuable learning experience. I take the point that perhaps I should not post on other peoples threads and I shall refrain from doing so going forward. 🤐 As alluded to, circumstances can change, FTMDave made the following point that it had been boasted that no Caggers, over two years, who had sent a PPC the wrong registration snotty letter, had even been taken to court, let alone lost a court hearing .... but now they have. I too used the word "seemed" because it is true, we haven't had all the details. After perusing this forum I believe certain advice changed here after the Beavis case, I could be wrong but that is what I seem to remember reading. Could it be that after winning the above case in question, a claimant could refer back to this case and claim that a defendant had not made use of the appeal process, therefore allowing the claimant to win? Again, in this instance only, I do not know what is to be gained by not making an appeal or concealing the identity of the driver, especially if it is later admitted that the defendant was the driver and was the one to input the incorrect VRN in error. So far no one has educated me as to the reason why. But, of course, when making an appeal, it should be worded carefully so that an error in the appeal process cannot be referred back to. I thought long and hard about whether or not to post here but I wanted to bring up this point for discussion. Yes, I admit I have limited knowledge, but does that mean I should have kept silent? After I posted that I moved away from this forum slightly to find other avenues to increase my knowledge. I bought a law book and am now following certain lawyers on Youtube in the hope of arming myself with enough ammunition to use in my own case. In one video titled “7 Reasons You Will LOSE Your Court Case (and how to avoid them)” by Black Belt Barrister I believe he makes my point by saying the following, and I quote: “If you ignore the complaint in the first instance and it does eventually end up in court then it's going to look bad that you didn't co-operate in the first place. The court is not going to look kindly on you simply ignoring the company and not, let's say, availing yourself of any kind of appeal opportunities, particularly if we are talking about parking charge notices and things like that.” This point makes me think that, it is not such a bizarre judgement in the end. Only in the case of having proof of payment and inputting an incorrect VRN .... could it be worthwhile making a carefully worded appeal in the first instance? .... If the appeal fails, depending on the reason, surely this could only help if it went to court? As always, any feedback gratefully received.
    • To which official body does one make a formal complaint about a LPA fixed charge receiver? Does one make a complaint first to the company employing the appointed individuals?    Or can one complain immediately to an official body, such as nara?    I've tried researching but there doesn't seem a very clear route on how to legally hold them to account for wrongful behaviour.  It seems frustratingly complicated because they are considered to be officers of the court and held in high esteem - and the borrower is deemed liable for their actions.  Yet what does the borrower do when disclosure shows clear evidence of wrong-doing? Does anyone have any pointers please?
    • Steam is still needed in many industries, but much of it is still made with fossil fuels.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Yell.com

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i feel sick to the bone right now...

I have started up a new company, brand new to all this and probably a but naive.

I registered online to put up a free ad on yell.com, they called this morning and spent 40minutes on the phone selling me a better ad at £75 a month, gave me all the facts and figures of how this could help my business and i sucked in well. I handed over my account number and sort code and address (she said this was to verify that i wasnt a rogue trader).

She has now emailed me a copy of the contract in which states i have to enter my password (which was agreed on the phone) and email it back to them thus making a contract with them.

However after reading so many awful reviews about them i have decided 1000000000000000% i do not want to do any business with them at all. I have not sent the contract back, she is ringing constantly and texted me saying my advert is due to go live tomorrow and that she need to talk to me to finalise things.

I am very worried that they are going to go ahead with my advert even though i have not sent the contract back. We are talking about a £750 bill here - money i dont have if it goes to a debt agency!

any advice, i feel sick!! :mad:

E-mail them a cancellation. Phone and cancel. Write and cancel. They are the absolute pits.

As Jimmy says. Do all 3. Send recorded. Yell are well known for continuing and charging you after you cancel.

besides, who the hell uses Yell.com anyway. Thats what google is for. ie plumber in northampton, search, found.

You would be better of using google adwords to advertise. You only pay when your ad gets clicked.

Telephone agreements come under distance selling regulations giving you a 7 day 'cooling off' period.

although this seems like a business to business sale and might therefore fall outside of the regs.

She has now emailed me a copy of the contract in which states i have to enter my password (which was agreed on the phone) and email it back to them thus making a contract with them.

If you have not done this you do not have a contract with them. Talk to them on the phone straight away and say that having had time to think about it you cannot possibly afford it and do not wish to contiinue with the contract.

Do not take no for an answer and make it clear you have no intention of paying whatever they say. If they push the issue ask to talk to a senior manager so that you can make a complaint about the selling tactics they are using.

Next...this is just the start...you have started a new company and you will get calls from dozens of online directories, phone companies, utility companies and anything else you might need. If you spend 40 minutes talking to each one you will spend all night on here and get no work done.

Get rid of them, say you have no time to talk. So you don't want to save money? ...No I don't I want to earn money and I can't do that by taking unsolicited phone calls.

Register for the telephone preference service to avoid as many as possible.

Thats about it really:)

Pedross

Sorry, Jim, don't follow. Are you saying that the dsr's do apply? I ask because the OP said he was a business advertising?

You can only cool off from a signed or agreed contract. The contract hasn't been agreed, so it is irrelevant. :)

Only consumer contracts have 'cooling off', As for no signature = no contract, this is misleading as the contract is usually made verbally, the T&Cs and confirmation are sent afterwards are for the advertisers reference

Next, the password - does not confirm the contract, it gives access to the advertisers control panel, where the number if advert viewers to the web service can be checked and the page updated (if the user wishes). If this was business advertising - forget all you know about consumer protection, it does not apply here.

Depending on the package, whether print & web or web only, the web element is invariably the cheapest, but depending on the directory cut-off, it can often be too late to cancel if the ad has gone to press so cancellation (even with a fee) is not possible. It is no mistake that they target areas where the directory is about to close for printing - not only does this have the sales cachet of being out within weeks, cancelling an agreed ad is impossible. They're not daft.

However, the OP just changed his mind - which is a foolish thing to do - as the business will be held liable if not paid (if incorporated) or personally (if not).

In view of the post above by Buzby I will comment further on the dubious selling tactics of online directories.

I do not believe that Yell has a cut off. They can put you on it and take you off again with very little effort.

So I stick to my original opinion. Phone & email straight away and say that you booked it under duress, which it appears to me you were and you wish to cancel.Then do as I said before.

If they still say you cannot cancel, then post on here exactly what they told you on the telephone that you would get when you were on there. I will then examine what they have told you and suggest what you do next.

Pedross

If Yell has no 'cut off' please explain why you think this. Yell are a publisher of paper directories (the main business) with online access thrown in as a bonus (often free) with enhancement packages as a a bonus. They are published (usually in 14 month cycles) regularly but campaign call-outs are based on the pbliushing schedule.

As for the subsequent comments it could have been anyone calling to book. Infantile nonsense. As if someone with no connection to a business arranges advertising for no other purpose than to be a PITA...? Since the calls are recorded, go down this route if you like, but even back when BT owned it, the system also logged the CLI and recorded the call.

Seems pointless being known as a liar, that trying to resolve the matter.

You've a very simplistic view of commerce. You get treated in much the same way if you start being dishonest - and it can work against you in the long run.

If you're in the wrong then you negotiate out of it if you can, you don't lie or misrepresent.

You can only cool off from a signed or agreed contract. The contract hasn't been agreed, so it is irrelevant. :)

agreed, I was only correcting an earlier point about the dsrs applying.

There may well be no contract here, i'd need to see the paperwork to be sure. This said i'd agree with buz, lying is a very risky strategy and if you get caught out some how, you are absolutely screwed.

If Yell has no 'cut off' please explain why you think this. Yell are a publisher of paper directories (the main business) with online access thrown in as a bonus (often free) with enhancement packages as a a bonus. They are published (usually in 14 month cycles) regularly but campaign call-outs are based on the pbliushing schedule.

My comments were not a personal attack on your opinion Buzby, I was trying to help the original poster who appears to have vanished.

My understanding of the matter is that Seren put a free ad on Yell.com which is an online directory. It appears that it was a sprat to catch a mackerel and the next thing they knew someone from Yell.com was on the phone for 40 minutes talking them into upgrading the online advert for an extra £75 a month.

I did not see any mention of a paper based advert or directory so if I have missed something I may be on the wrong track.

Yell.com is an online directory so the idea and main selling point is that you can obtain business by advertising on it. Why then when they have your phone number, website probably and email address do they telephone you to sell you a more expensive advert.

If Yell.com works so well, why do they not send you an email explaining the benefits of a better advert. Because it does not work in the way that they would have you believe, so they use high pressure telephone sales tactics to get the sale.

I do agree that lying is a risky tactic. Thats why I invited Seren to post what they were told to get the sale so we could consider the situation.

If I was the suspicious type I would think you worked for Yell.

Pedross

Without Prejudice:)

I've just realised: The OP says that he started a company. Assuming that he means a limited company, he personally will have no liability for the payments even if there is a contract.

In theory you are correct bed,

But the company would be liable for debts and you would not want to close a company you have just started to avoid a Yell.com debt.

But where is the OP anyway?

It's a long shot - even Ltd companies require directors, and credit reporting exists for them too - so whilst there may be no direct liability (as the Co is a legal entity in its own right), frying your credit file - even as a corporate entity - is not something to be undertaken lightly.

As you Yell themselves, see here;

Yell.com Packages >> Yell Direct » Yell Direct

They've evolved from simply directory publishers (Yellow Pages) to inclue their online and DQ services, but the foundatin is always the physical YP, which remains the most profitable division - for obvious reasons.

I have looked at complaints against yell.com on here and other forums. One thing that keeps popping up is that yell.com claim once you reply to them using the password you agree on then the contract becomes binding. The op in this case has not replied using the password yet.

• 4 weeks later...
i feel sick to the bone right now...

I have started up a new company, brand new to all this and probably a but naive.

I registered online to put up a free ad on yell.com, they called this morning and spent 40minutes on the phone selling me a better ad at £75 a month, gave me all the facts and figures of how this could help my business and i sucked in well. I handed over my account number and sort code and address (she said this was to verify that i wasnt a rogue trader).

However after reading so many awful reviews about them i have decided 1000000000000000% i do not want to do any business with them at all. I have not sent the contract back, she is ringing constantly and texted me saying my advert is due to go live tomorrow and that she need to talk to me to finalise things.

I am very worried that they are going to go ahead with my advert even though i have not sent the contract back. We are talking about a £750 bill here - money i dont have if it goes to a debt agency!

any advice, i feel sick!! :mad:

Hi all,

quite same thing has happened to me last October (2009).

The small difference was that I was miss-leaded all the way 'till the confirmation e-mail. I was thinking of starting a cleaning company and I've set-up a trial website as well.

When I've agreed on the price which the consultant told me over the phone (around £500) for one year he asked me to replay on his e-mail saying that this is to confirm identity. I asked him is I should read the email first and he said that there is no need and it is the same that he told me already so I stupidly believed and confirmed.

Straight after that I have got an e-mail with all details including the full price which was higher than the originally quoted by the salesman. He just forgot to mention about the VAT. You can imagine how that small detail makes all the difference. I called him straight away and ask about why I was miss leaded. And so on and so on. Finally I told him that I don't want the service any more.(and I didn't even start to use it, never log in). He promised to get back to me with solution but never did so.

Next week I've decided not to proceed with the company (I have never register such a company really) so I've cancelled the website (that includes the e-mail accounts) and just for the record they do not have my real tel. number as I gave them (by mistake) lucky me, my old number which does not exists any more.

After I have got the first paper pack from them asking for my signature I ignored it because I was thinking that if I don't sign there won't be a contract.

And so the money chasing letters started to coming. Now they are saying that they will give my details on a debt collection agency.

I am not entirely sure what they are really able to do and should they prove first that there is such an agreement between them and me or should I prove all that what I said above (that I've been miss-leaded) and take them to court.

I will be happy to hear your opinion.

:wink::confused:

• 1 month later...

As a new company I have taken out yell advertising but only because after refusing their pricing and terms they offered me a monthly contract at reduced rate. I am rather sceptical as to how much revenue an online directory with Yell will be considering every single competitor within 100 miles is listed when entering my company services. With probably a 1/10 change of them picking me I doubt it'll work be at least I'm not tied to the annual contract.

I would just like to say watch out for advert [problematic] who will phone you constantly asking about advertsing in their mags. I wish I knew 6 months ago what I know now.