• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sheriff puts Bank of Scotland to proof on bank charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4109 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Which may explain why counsel for the bank objected so strongly to the orders we sought, and hoped to get the case dismissed.

The court was taken through the new ss.140A-B CCA case, and the substantially revised reg.5 case, and full legal argument took place in light of same. The bank was ordained to lodge defences in light of the new and revised grounds of claim, and a full evidential hearing was fixed.

Any chance that BOS will withdraw their defence before trial date?

The matrix is intrinsically flawed. Within it is the program for it's own destruction. If you are reading this, you are in the matrix and it's days are numbered...so watch out! :eek:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any chance that BOS will withdraw their defence before trial date?

IF they did that,that in itself would speak volumes (conspicous by their absence)

The effect would be just the same as if they had made a return to making goodwill gesture payments AND NO PRECEDENT ...I could see banks resorting to this fall back position once again..BUT hey GRRRREEEAATTT!!! so what.

However it would mean no automatic right to repayment but upon individual application by debtors.

Edited by means2anend

At the end of the day, I guess they can be expected to do whatever is in their best interest!...which is what their lawyers will advise.

They were happy with this fall back initially but when it resulted in an avalanche of claimants, they decided to put up a fight.

It comes down to strength of argument and sadly, corruption of some members of the judiciary.

The matrix is intrinsically flawed. Within it is the program for it's own destruction. If you are reading this, you are in the matrix and it's days are numbered...so watch out! :eek:

Originally Posted by GLC viewpost.gif

Which may explain why counsel for the bank objected so strongly to the orders we sought, and hoped to get the case dismissedlink3.gif.

The court was taken through the new ss.140A-B CCA case, and the substantially revised reg.5 case, and full legal argument took place in light of same. The bank was ordained to lodge defences in light of the new and revised grounds of claim, and a full evidential hearing was fixed.

Is this the one fixed for the June hearing?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/251309-very-urgent-help.html

Halifax took this cagger back to court to have the original decision overturned. cagger now has to repay the monies awarded in respect of charges to Halifax :confused:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Lets face it!!! The Libs can say they will do this that and the other. They can make all the statements and promises they like. They will never be in government, so will never be put to the test on anything they say!!!:rolleyes:

Good that this is actually being brought up though! Even if it is weeks from the Election!!!;)

Cheers,MARK

I hear what you say, but think the Lib Dems are the most honest party (out of the three) and have thought so over the last 20 years or so! One thing that does go against them being in government at any time soon is a lack of proportional representation in the present electoral system.

What have the 'main' two political parties, or their leaders, said about the current level of bank charges?

I hear what you say, but think the Lib Dems are the most honest party (out of the three) and have thought so over the last 20 years or so! One thing that does go against them being in government at any time soon is a lack of proportional representation in the present electoral system.

What have the 'main' two political parties, or their leaders, said about the current level of bank charges?

Hey PCB Hello! Only a Comment! This is a Forum on Dealing With Debt!!! And you are probably quite right about PR.

No offence intended M8!!!:-)

Cheers, MARK

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I watched the leaders debate last Thursday (yes I know I am sad!) but only to see if Banks and their charges were mentioned.

After reading what Nick Clegg said on April 9th I hoped he might put up a good performance- and he certainly did.

I hope that his good showing might encourage the other two parties to pinch some of his ideas- obviously the Bank charges.

I am not politically minded.

Anyone who knocks those thieving banks will get my vote.

The problem is that, like it or not, the Government needs the banks on their side. So far the banks haven't played ball and the Government appears to be very reluctant to make them. The main parties can't afford to upset the banks too much. Clegg can because he won't be Prime Minister after this election.

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

Took a while to get a reply but I challenged my bank re charges for the current account. I used the two new arguments s140 (1) a-e of the CCA 1974 and regulation 5 (1) of the UTCCR.

They have replied that I am arguing that the relationship is unfair by reason of the way I have operated my account. All their accounts operate under identical terms and conditions and they claim the fact I have operated my account in such a way as to incur unarranged borrowing charges does not mean that the relationship was unfair. They go on to say that any unfairness arises because of the terms of the agreement or the conduct of the creditor, not the conduct of the customer.

They also say that The Supreme Court ruled that unarranged borrowing charges are part of the price a customer pays for a package of services under a current account agreement. The charges can be said to come within the exemption to regulation 5(1) that is contained in regulation 6(2b) and the amount of the charge is not assessable for fairness.

They add my argument is another way of saying the charges are too high and so, as far as the Supreme Court ruling is concerned, they cannot be challenged on that ruling.

They totally ignored the personal examples I gave of where their actions actually led to these charges being applied which proved they were unfair and gave rise to an imbalance/unfairness in the relationship.

Of course under the new CCA law change it is up to them to prove they are not unfair...not me.

I think they are waffling and hoping this will suffice as an answer. It won't.

Absolutely! There is so much wrong with their reply it is difficult to know where to start. But start I will. It needs taking apart line by line and chucking back at them. As I said before they are just waffling and hoping it will be OK as a fob off.

Absolutely! There is so much wrong with their reply it is difficult to know where to start. But start I will. It needs taking apart line by line and chucking back at them. As I said before they are just waffling and hoping it will be OK as a fob off.

Rhia

Can I ask which bank you are dealing with ? Sounds just like the guff I got from Sharkleys !

LSP

Rhia

Can I ask which bank you are dealing with ? Sounds just like the guff I got from Sharkleys !

LSP

Rather not say for now but it's one of the main ones who were involved in the Supreme Court case.

Took a while to get a reply but I challenged my bank re charges for the current account. I used the two new arguments s140 (1) a-e of the CCA 1974 and regulation 5 (1) of the UTCCR.

They have replied that I am arguing that the relationship is unfair by reason of the way I have operated my account. All their accounts operate under identical terms and conditions and they claim the fact I have operated my account in such a way as to incur unarranged borrowing charges does not mean that the relationship was unfair. They go on to say that any unfairness arises because of the terms of the agreement or the conduct of the creditor, not the conduct of the customer.

They also say that The Supreme Court ruled that unarranged borrowing charges are part of the price a customer pays for a package of services under a current account agreement. The charges can be said to come within the exemption to regulation 5(1) that is contained in regulation 6(2b) and the amount of the charge is not assessable for fairness.

They add my argument is another way of saying the charges are too high and so, as far as the Supreme Court ruling is concerned, they cannot be challenged on that ruling.

They totally ignored the personal examples I gave of where their actions actually led to these charges being applied which proved they were unfair and gave rise to an imbalance/unfairness in the relationship.

Of course under the new CCA law change it is up to them to prove they are not unfair...not me.

I think they are waffling and hoping this will suffice as an answer. It won't.

YOU said THEY said;

''They go on to say'', ''that any unfairness arises because of the terms of the agreement or the conduct of the creditor, not the conduct of the customer.''

...oh my what a statement to make:D

m2ae

YOU said THEY said;

''They go on to say'', ''that any unfairness arises because of the terms of the agreement or the conduct of the creditor, not the conduct of the customer.''

...oh my what a statement to make:D

m2ae

In other words, it is YOUR conduct which creates the unfairness from which you suffer? They're not saying it's not unfair, they're saying that you create the unfairness. Oh my.

Is that what we're back to: "It's your own fault"? That the best they can do? :shock:

I read the OPPOSITE. It's the CREDITOR which causes the unfairnmess due to its terms or its conduct - NEVER the CUSTOMER.

Am I wrong (again)? Tell me... I can take it! I'm used to hearing it. Ive been married for over 35 years since I met "Miss Right all the time".

BD

Good morning all,

This Cagger states:

In my own humble opinion, if this is accurate and exactly what is written down in their response, then for the Bank it is a case of ' Game over' = Customer - 1 Bank - 0....or have I misread this??

As always, best wishes to all,

Dougal.

Good morning all,

This Cagger states:

In my own humble opinion, if this is accurate and exactly what is written down in their response, then for the Bank it is a case of ' Game over' = Customer - 1 Bank - 0....or have I misread this??

As always, best wishes to all,

Dougal.

Edited by xp1
re-read and understood correctly

OK. I wrote one letter challenging them under s140 CCA and s5(1) UTCCR and apart from adding some personal evidence to support my stance I kept it brief but it's based on the GLC's letter. This is the EXACTLY what they said (my comments in blue):

"Your argument is that the relationship between you and NastyBank is unfair by reason of the way you have operated your account" (In other words it's my fault)

"All our current accounts operate under identical terms and conditions. The fact you have operated your account in such a way as to incur unarranged borrowing charges cannot give rise to the relationship being unfair. Any unfairness must be "because of" the terms of the agreement or the conduct of the creditor, not the conduct of the customer."

(Now I thought the new s140 of the CCA puts the onus on the creditor to prove they are being fair NOT the other way around)

"The Supreme Court ruled that unarranged borrowing charges are part of a price customers pay for the entire package of services under the current account agreement. The charges come within the exemption to regulation 5 (1) that is contained in regulation 6(2b) and therefore the amount of the charge is not assessable for fairness. The Supreme Court has stated that the charges cannot be challenged on the basis that they are too high and your argument is just another way of saying they are too high."

As has been pointed out they have also ignored the fact that a term is deemed unfair unless it has been individually negotiated.

Over to you CAG...

OK. I wrote one letter challenging them under s140 CCA and s5(1) UTCCR and apart from adding some personal evidence to support my stance I kept it brief but it's based on the GLC's letter. This is the EXACTLY what they said (my comments in blue):

"Your argument is that the relationship between you and NastyBank is unfair by reason of the way you have operated your account" (In other words it's my fault)

"All our current accounts operate under identical terms and conditions. The fact you have operated your account in such a way as to incur unarranged borrowing charges cannot give rise to the relationship being unfair. Any unfairness must be "because of" the terms of the agreement or the conduct of the creditor, not the conduct of the customer."

(Now I thought the new s140 of the CCA puts the onus on the creditor to prove they are being fair NOT the other way around)

"The Supreme Court ruled that unarranged borrowing charges are part of a price customers pay for the entire package of services under the current account agreement. The charges come within the exemption to regulation 5 (1) that is contained in regulation 6(2b) and therefore the amount of the charge is not assessable for fairness. The Supreme Court has stated that the charges cannot be challenged on the basis that they are too high and your argument is just another way of saying they are too high."

As has been pointed out they have also ignored the fact that a term is deemed unfair unless it has been individually negotiated.

Over to you CAG...

Good morning again,

Yes you are 100% right Rhia, the onus of proof in a case for unfairness, ( Under CCA 2006) is on the Creditor and NOT on the debtor.

I think that the wording of the POC needs to be very accurate and detailed, with every 'unfair' action by the Creditor set out - this will minimise 'strike-out' applications by the Creditor

We are still waiting for the new 'POCs' which should be with us soon - I hope!

Also it may be foolish to 'rush into' any action until the new info from Counsel is received.

Kind regards to all

Dougal

''that any unfairness arises because of the terms of the agreement or the conduct of the creditor, not the conduct of the customer.''

I take that to mean:

Either the terms of the contract are fair or unfair; if they are fair there is nothing the customer can do that makes them unfair.